Tell me how crazy this is (vent)

disneynewbee

DIS Veteran
I called to try to make ps for the grand floridian cafe for dinner on 11/9 for a party of nine. The dinner was going to be a birthday dinner for my niece. So the guy says we can't seat 9 but they can give us 2 tables. Well I am pretty flexible and have done this on almost all meals but this is a bday celebration so I said I did not want to split up because it was for a bday. I asked him if it was just the time or if they can never sit a party that big so he looked and says "They do have bigger tables but you have to be a party of at least 10 to get get them do you want to add another person to your party". Well duhhh sure I'll find some tom dick or harry to have lunch with us just so we can eat together, I mean what do they expect me to do take another person on vacation with me just to eat as a family at there restaurant. It's like he wanted me to lie and say ya 10, and then later I would have to lie and say someone got sick so now we are 9. I should not have to lie. Why should a family of 10 get to sit together and not a family of 9. We would probably spend more $ than a family of 10 anyway since it is a special celebration and we wanted to get the slipper and probably some dog bones and drinks if they have them.

Disney or not, we make ressies for a larger party rather than smaller. I.E., if there are 5 in your party (anywhere, whether it's Disney or not) make a ressie for a party of 6. :earsboy:

call again tomorrow and ask for table for 10.

when you get there, just say one decided not to come. No big deal.

I agree, call tommorrow and make the reservation. I seriously doubt any server would be tacky enough to not seat you or ask where the other person was. Im sure you will be relieved to find out it is a non issue when you get there!

Have a great time!

Hey, I'm going to be there during that week. Are you paying? I'll come eat. :tongue:

Ahh the sacrafices I am willing to make for fellow Dis'ers!
:smooth:

Originally posted by disneynewbee
we wanted to get the slipper and probably some dog bones and drinks if they have them.

What is the slipper and dog bones????

What's annoying to me is that they are promoting the whole idea of "Grand Gatherings" and then don't seem to be geared up to accomodate the larger groups. Another example of marketing not connection with operations!

You don't need to lie and say that one couldn't make it.

Just make the reservation for 10. When you arrive at the restaurant all you need to do is say "actually, there are only 9 of us". Nothing further needed. The restaurant doesn't need to know if someone is sick, cancelled, etc.

I run a tour company, and though it's different than a restaurant because people have to pay upfront I can always tell when someone is cancelling because they've decided to do something else or another company offered them a deal. If people cancel because they've got a schedule conflict, they call and say "I'm really sorry, but I need to cancel". They might mention an appointment. When people lie to me, they suddenly start to go into all kinds of details. Their husband's brother's cousin's wife is sick and needs an operation. Money is tight because they've had to pay for home repairs and a new coat for the dog etc. How do I know they're lying and not just TMI people? Because many of the tour companies get along quite well together, and because we're a small enough community that even the passengers all seem to know each other quite well. So the week after the tour I'll hear that Mr & Mrs Smith, who cancelled because he was scheduled to go into the hospital the day before the tour and had an ulcerated hernia with purple spots, were partying with Mr & Mrs Jones on ABC's tour that left the day after ours was scheduled.

So keep it short & simple, don't offer any details. Just make the reservation for 10 people and let them know there are only 9 when you get there.

Sugardimples, I totally agree with you. I started this week to make PSs for our Grand Gathering of 16 people and I've dealt with both group dining and regular dining. I understand that some of the restaurants may not be able to accomodate 16 people at the same table - we actually prefer to split up into two tables. But so far, I was only able to get 2 tables of 8 at Chef Mickey's and 1900 Park Fare - not guaranteed to be next to each other. At Donald's Breakfastasaurus, the most they can accomodate at a table is 6, so I have two tables of 6 and a table of 4. Again, not guaranteed together. At HDD, we will have 4 tables of 4! My family does not mind if we have to split up into smaller tables, but I'm sure there are other families that wanted to sit at the same table. There does not seem to be a set procedure for making PSs for larger groups. Some of my PSs have confirmation numbers for each table while others have one confirmation number for the entire PS, while still another one has 3 confirmation numbers because there are 16 people on the PS. Also, with the exception of CRT, I was only asked to give a credit card number as a guarantee because the group was so large for our PS at Sci-Fi. Very strange. All of the CMs I've talked to have been great, it really seems as if they don't have all the information they need about the Grand Gatherings that has been so heavily promoted. Each one has made a point to ask if anyone has food allergies or other dietary concerns (we do have someone who is allergic to gluten) and given me the phone numbers to call for each of the parks and resorts we will be eating in so we can call in advance to make the necessary arrangements. Maybe they are still working out the kinks in Grand Gatherings??

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm sure we'll have a great time!!:sunny:

I agree with the original poster on this one, it is very frustrating. I have been making PSs for our group of 8 and have encountered the "separate tables, no guarantee next to each other, etc..." also. Group Dining said we had to be a party of 13 before they would assist with any arrangements. I wouldn't mind the separate tables but like disneynewbee said, some things are a special occasion, in our case Christmas. And you can't always just add an extra person, there are things we're paying for ahead of time like the CP and Fantasmic packages.

This is the one area where I have found Disney customer service to be less than satisfying. The last Dining CM I spoke to (who was extremely nice) went on and on about how Disney is all about family...followed by the "you may be sitting across the restaurant from half of your family on Christmas. Sorry"

Like I said, very frustrating.

Originally posted by Micca
Disney or not, we make ressies for a larger party rather than smaller. I.E., if there are 5 in your party (anywhere, whether it's Disney or not) make a ressie for a party of 6. :earsboy:

I'm just curious.......why do you do this? Is there a benefit to it?

I am available for dinner on 11/9. :)

I agree, make it for 10. Don't explain when you only have 9, just go.

You aren't breaking any rules. I bet the CMs at GF will be MORE than accomodating. They need to make hard rules for WDW-DINE so that there aren't hundreds of phone agents making up their own rules.

Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter