temp conversion tip!

grover

DIS Veteran
I don't know about the rest of you but I have never quite figured out how to convert our tempurature into the USA version! And at this point in life I am not going to bother figuring out the little trick to convert the temp to farenheit! So what I am going to do is cut the little temp scale out of my newspaper as it shows both! 80 or 90 degrees farenheit means nothing to me! I need to know celcius!! Thought this may help someone out there who may be like me!
Grover in Winnipeg
:D

LOL Grover...that's a great idea for folks that have never made the "change over" smoothly!;)

I find it so funny that when I am at home I "talk" celcius and when I'm in the US I just naturally "talk" fahrenheit! I realize I'm automatically doing the switch every time I cross the boarder!:p

What's even funnier is my DS hasn't got a clue what the US temps mean!:) Makes me feel my age for sure.:)

Or ask your child how many feet or yards are in a mile. All I ever get is a blank stare. :D

- Mike

I also can't convert miles to kilometers-- only know kilometers-- guess I am giving my age away here!!
Grover in Winnipeg
:D

Hi Folks:

I grew up with farenheight, so I needed to get used to celcius, I still buy my black forest ham by the pound. lol

This is the way I figure something out in farenheight.

Take the celcius temp say 20 cel. double it equals 40 and add 30 equals 70 F.

Lets try another class, lol

10cel. double =20 add 30 =50 F.

So the equation is, you double then add 30. I think this brings it within 1 or 2 degrees of the correct temp.

Deb.

Wasn't that an Olivia Newton-John song? :p Sorry... :D

Deb's approximation is very close. The actual conversion formula is:

F = C *9/5 + 32

so 20C converts to 20*9/5 + 32 = 68F

I have my own method for converting. I know the values for each 10C and interpolate from there. i.e. 10C = 50F, 20C = 68F, 30C = 86F, over 35C is just plain hot. ;)

I've been able to make the deli conversion and buy our Black Forest ham in 50g increments, but then I have a science background where we do everything using metric units anyway.

Now if someone can convert between hectares and acres in their head, that would impress me. :)

- Mike

Yikes Mike!! LOL:p Now you're really getting technical! LOL:D

I usually do it this way:

20ºC x 1.8 = 36

+ 32 = 68ºF

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter