Tent camping in Dec - is it crazy???

mom2boys

<font color=blue>Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 swit
Okay, DH said we can go to Disney for Holiday celebrations. But we have to keep it to $500. I have a ressie at All-Stars for 3 nights @ 59 per night which comes to $198 with tax. We might bring a niece, so I PO would raise the lodging to $380 for 3 nights ($15 per night for the trundle.) I am thinking we could really stretch the budget by camping. But I don't want to be too uncomfortable. As long as we can stay warm & dry, we'll be fine. Can anyone share their tent camping experience at FW in early Dec. How cold did it get at night?

We've camped twice in Fort Wilderness during December - once in a tent and the other in a cabin. It never got below 50 at night, so it was not a problem for us (we live in PA and we consider 50 degrees pretty nice for sleeping at night!).

I did check to see what the average highs and lows are for that time or year: in December the average is 62, with the avg high of 73 and a low of 51 degrees. I guess it just depends on your comfort level!!! Good luck!

mom2boys

We never tent camped in Dec, but we have done it in a pop-up. The temp did get down to 32 degrees, but the daytime temps were very comfortable (mid 70's) It wasn't uncomfortable and it did add a nice touch to drinking hot chocolate while touring the Osborne Family Lights!

We've had great luck pop-uping and tent camping in cold weather by using a small, inexpensive electric resistance heater from Wal-Mart. It has a multi-speed fan and thermostat and keeps the tent toasty warm even in the coldest weather.

One suggestion, in addition to the heater; make sure you make your beds on cots, or air/thermal mattresses to insulate you from the cold ground.

In short, go for it!

We've got the same dilema as well. In order to save money we're going to be tent camping for a week in the Los Angeles area. This will be our very first trip to Disneyland. We're going the first week in March and anticipate the weather to be about what you describe for FL. Highs around 68 and lows around 50. We are also going to be bringing a heater and possibly an electric blanket. I love to camp and this will be an excellent way for us to save money.

FLIP A COIN

dec in fl can be 80 or 25 who knows.
took the family this last dec. and we got the cold weather.my wife and i were in my van which has a queen size bed but the kids were in a tent.guess what?they are still alive nobody froze to death.afternoon weather was great.one of the best trips ever.oh ! we have stayed at almost every resort at wdw.so as you can see the weather really dosen't make the trip.it's all up to you to make your own good time.

:bounce: Maybe i can help maybe just a Little,In 1999 we stayed in our tent during thanksving,Had a ball couldnot ask for a better time!!!!!And that was with a 2 year old,oops just turned 3 !my bad ,So in 2000 we stayed in our pop up@ x-mas,Thank god for my heater @ nite days were okay,bye the way Disney lost over 70000 thousand plants during that freeze and replaced 20000 poinsiettas and had them all replaced in 4 days,talk about disnry magic!!!!!!Morale of post ?go prepared for any thing,Rain Freeze ,Sleet ,Hail, or even a nice Spring type day.

We camp there all the time in DEc. Since we are only an hour away we get to try it out during all seasons and Dec. has to be one of the best times. THe atmosphere there is great, weather is always not too hot or not too cold and it usually isn't too busy. Remember, if you are ina tent, put a blanket down under your matress and put a tarp under your tent. This will keep out a lot of the dampness and always carry a heater and a fan. You'll never know what you will need. As a matter of fact we are going back the first weekend in Dec. One last thing , don't forget to stop at the Wilderness Lodge. They have some of the prettiest Christmas decorations.

Okay - we took the pludge & made a ressie for FW partial hook-up for Dec 6th - 9th. MVMCP here we come!!!! What a savings over PO - Riverside. Since there will be 5 of us, the best I could do was $380 for 3 nights at a moderate using a rate from the paper. Two All-Stars would be $396 - even with the rate. I'd rather spend my money in the parks.

Hope u have a great time @ x-mas there ,We sure did!!:bounce:

A few years ago we decided to spend Christmas in FL (my parents live in Winter Haven). Mother and Daddy suggested we spend a few days at their house alone, while they took our DD for a few days at FW in their motorhome. They had a wonderful time and didn't even set foot in the parks (she's been lots of times). They toured everything using Disney's transportation system to see all of the decorations. Of course, FW has a lot to offer all by itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter