Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

Good morning!

Training is going well. Got in a nice 12k run yesterday, and worked out HARD at the gym doing weights. I'm trying to get into a 3x week routine to move things around to get the weight off.

I am running steadily 4x week. My mileage is up to about 30k per week (20 miles). I'm a bit behind on the Dumbo training, but with my coaching on a totally different run schedule I have had to merge to two and will be building up my mileage right up to the race. It isn't a goal race for me, so I won't be tapering much.

My scale is sitting at around 210. Shift plateau!

Hope y'all are doing well!

Hey there, I will be doing the DDD this month. I am also a bit behind on my training, but am working to try and make it up in time for the race. Good luck on your training. We can do this!!! :) Keep up the good work.

Good morning!

Still hitting the weights at the gym. Enjoying being at 208, but when I look back a year ago my weight and measurements were essentially the same, so boo! But really working on it! Tracking eating through MFP, and running about 30k a week, plus 3 sessions of weightlifting a week. That should work, right?

Measurements today at 209#(feeling a little bloated)
W36"
H45"
B 44.5"

This weekend is Mud Hero with my intrepid team of Mother Muckers! It is a 6k obstacle trail run. There are pictures on this thread of last year's hijinx!

My last race was Saturday. It was the Midsummer's Night Run 15k on Toronto Island. Getting there was a challenge as we had to take a ferry, and getting back was mondo crowded and time-consuming. The race had some real glitches - including a bunch of us being misdirected on the course. When I got to the 2k mark shortly after starting I knew something was wrong! At 12k I backtracked 750m to add the additional 1.5k so I finished with a proper 15k. I couldn't cheat myself, and I needed it as a training run. I finished in 2:02 so was happy with that.

1098126_10151559150526931_1002456479_n_zps6c1224d4.jpg
[/URL]

I woke up early the next morning intended to do another 12k but everything hurt and I just hadn't recovered enough so only did 5k. Oh well! 24 hours later I would have been fine but I didn't get home until 11pm and getting up early to run again 12 hours later just didn't feel good. I could have pushed it I suppose, but with the pain and nausea it just wasn't worth it.

One week before I leave for DDD! Getting so excited! It's finally here! Looking forward to the meetups and the expo, running the race itself, and those beautiful medals!

Running hills tonight (yay hills!) and 5k+16k this weekend. Should be about 20 miles this week, and that will be that!

Have a terrific day!

It's been a little while since I posted but since I posted I have run the 6k Mud Hero, and DDD! DDD went really well for me, and I wasn't too affected by the head which was nice. I ran the 10k at a good pace, but stopped for lots of pics, so finished around 1:2X. Fun race. The HM went really well, and I was gentle with myself due to the heat and humidity, and I finished feeling strong at 2:58. Not a PR, but given the weather I wasn't aiming for a PR. Will post pics soon!

Before Mud Hero:

10K pic:

Found a couple people in the corral by sheer luck! Was lovely to see Liz and Tanya:

Next up is the Army Run - a HM in Ottawa, Ontario next weekend. Looking forward to that one and the medal is a set of dog tags!

Lovely photos Terapin! Tell me about your running kilt! I was thinking of this for Merida costume option...

Hi!

C-leen it is a sparkle skirt! Love it, and I am picky about what I run in.

So not feeling running these days. Tucking back in this weekend. Doing a 10-12k tomorrow, and then back to hardcore training.

Last weekend was a terrible half marathon effort for me. It was the Army Half Marathon in Ottawa, ON. The race itself was quite good, but I made the bid mistake of doing the 4 hour drive the morning of, and starting off a bit tired. Also, i had a cold and underestimated how poorly I was feeling. Any time I ran I felt short of breath and very, very dizzy. I also had a very runny nose. I almost DNFd at 5k. Seriously. Except there were no sag wagons around. So I walked almost all of it. It sucked pretty bad. Ran when the dizziness passed and tried to just finish. My IT bands were killing me from the change in stride. Finished in about 3:15. I think my worse time ever. But I finished!

1240005_10151621448411931_1356669392_n.jpg
[/URL]
On the happy news front my weight is steadily going down. At 207 now. Just trying to eat a little less. Also got a FitBit and that has been fun. I am usually at 8k without trying.

Next race is another half marathon in 3 weeks. I am supposed to do a full the following week. Um, so not going to run that all. Hoping to run the first 32k and walk the last 10k. We shall see! Hoping to get in a long run the next two weeks.

Hope all is well!

Continuing to see the scale go down. At 206 now. Slow and steady, but I will take it.

My foot is really bumming me out. I think I have injured the tendon. I got some Superfeet and will start using them today. Hopefully the increased support will allow that tendon to heal. If not, I'm not sure what to do. I guess I should take some anti-imflammatories and really RICE it. It is becoming a problem on my long runs, and I hobble around for a few days afterwards. :-(

Continuing to see the scale go down. At 206 now. Slow and steady, but I will take it.

My foot is really bumming me out. I think I have injured the tendon. I got some Superfeet and will start using them today. Hopefully the increased support will allow that tendon to heal. If not, I'm not sure what to do. I guess I should take some anti-imflammatories and really RICE it. It is becoming a problem on my long runs, and I hobble around for a few days afterwards. :-(

Hope everything is going well with you on the healing, weight loss, and training!

Will update soon! Have two races to report on, and my injury. Been working on my weight and sitting around 207 right now. It's been easier to lose weight while not running - and I am getting to the gym about 3 days per week. Keeping my calories between 1500 (1800 on workout days) seems to be working.

Will try to post pics and race reports tomorrow.

Will update soon! Have two races to report on, and my injury. Been working on my weight and sitting around 207 right now. It's been easier to lose weight while not running - and I am getting to the gym about 3 days per week. Keeping my calories between 1500 (1800 on workout days) seems to be working.

Will try to post pics and race reports tomorrow.

Good to hear from you. Hadn't seen anything from you in a while. Looking forward to the update!

Oh my it has been a long time since I updated!

The short version:

Signed up for Dopey. Ran the 5/10/HM. Foot was absolutely killing and I chose not to run the full marathon. Was very disappointed but it was the right decision.

Rested my foot until Princess weekend. Ran the 10k/HM and had fun, but foot was very sore. Better than Marathon weekend, but still very painful. I ran the Castaway Cay 5k after Princess so I'm not too unhappy with 2x half, 2x 10k, and 2x 5k since January :-)

Finally got my foot diagnosed 2 weeks ago after it getting worse and worse: stress fracture of the navicular bone in my foot and tendonosis of the posterior tibial tendon. I write this in a cast!

Hoping to be up running by summer again. Have signed up for Wine and Dine! Hoping to finally heal this injury (injured it last summer - I was dumb in delaying getting it looked at). In the meantime, am weight lifting as almost all cardio hurts the tendon (biking, etc). My weight isn't great, but sitting about 212-215 and considering I'm not running I'm not too unhappy about that. I'm keeping calories to about 1400-1500/day to keep weight from creeping back on.

Anyhow, that's my update!

Oh my it has been a long time since I updated!

The short version:

Signed up for Dopey. Ran the 5/10/HM. Foot was absolutely killing and I chose not to run the full marathon. Was very disappointed but it was the right decision.

Rested my foot until Princess weekend. Ran the 10k/HM and had fun, but foot was very sore. Better than Marathon weekend, but still very painful. I ran the Castaway Cay 5k after Princess so I'm not too unhappy with 2x half, 2x 10k, and 2x 5k since January :-)

Finally got my foot diagnosed 2 weeks ago after it getting worse and worse: stress fracture of the navicular bone in my foot and tendonosis of the posterior tibial tendon. I write this in a cast!

Hoping to be up running by summer again. Have signed up for Wine and Dine! Hoping to finally heal this injury (injured it last summer - I was dumb in delaying getting it looked at). In the meantime, am weight lifting as almost all cardio hurts the tendon (biking, etc). My weight isn't great, but sitting about 212-215 and considering I'm not running I'm not too unhappy about that. I'm keeping calories to about 1400-1500/day to keep weight from creeping back on.

Anyhow, that's my update!

What a journey you have been on, and how amazing you are for doing it :goodvibes

I don't usually post over here but I felt compelled to - not least because I wonder if we ran the same CC 5k - we joined the Magic the day after the PHM (which I ran, my first Half). If it was the same cruise - oh boy wasn't it brutal in the heat on CC that day?!

What a journey you have been on, and how amazing you are for doing it :goodvibes

I don't usually post over here but I felt compelled to - not least because I wonder if we ran the same CC 5k - we joined the Magic the day after the PHM (which I ran, my first Half). If it was the same cruise - oh boy wasn't it brutal in the heat on CC that day?!

Thanks for posting! Yes it was *that* cruise! How cool! That was very hot at CC! It was as hot the first time I ran it, too. Silly me - I forgot a hat and sunglasses so by the time I was done I was pretty ready to hit the shade (and showers ;-) That was a big group! When I did it a couple years back it was easily half the number of people, and there was no medal, but a certificate instead. I love my mickey medal! I will admit that there was some soft-serve after the run - we spotted some folks discovering that the ice cream worked just fine under the covered machines. It was too tempting not to go ahead and help ourselves! I felt guilty, however. ;)

Update on foot: had my second shockwave therapy yesterday. It hurt very badly. Foot is feeling a bit better today. I was told to wear the orthotic with the cast but I was being hobbled. Once I took it out it was all so much better!! I hate the cast but at least it's an Aircast and can be taken off for breaks.

Struggling with feeling bloated and not great. I am going to get into the pool next weekend when I am off call. I can't really get into the pool when I am on call as I have to check my phone every 10 minutes. I also find when I am on call I am busy and getting to the pool, getting in, working out and then drying off takes quite awhile. It's one of the reasons I loved running: so doable in a busy schedule. I can start biking when my tendon settles down a bit.

Thanks for posting! Yes it was *that* cruise! How cool! That was very hot at CC! It was as hot the first time I ran it, too. Silly me - I forgot a hat and sunglasses so by the time I was done I was pretty ready to hit the shade (and showers ;-) That was a big group! When I did it a couple years back it was easily half the number of people, and there was no medal, but a certificate instead. I love my mickey medal! I will admit that there was some soft-serve after the run - we spotted some folks discovering that the ice cream worked just fine under the covered machines. It was too tempting not to go ahead and help ourselves! I felt guilty, however. ;)

Oh wow! I wish I'd read your journal before, as I would have been sure to say Hi. It was a gruelling experience and I'd liken it to running through hot cling film (I think it has a different name Stateside - maybe Saran Wrap??)

I'll try and post a picture and see if you remember me. You looked familiar to me as I read your journal and I wonder now if that's because I saw you on CC or the Magic!

Hi Miffy! It was super hot! I walked a bunch (having done the 10k and HM in the days previous I didn't feel I had a lot to prove!). It's a fun way to start the day though - and I plan on doing the CC5K anytime I can!

Can't wait to get this cast off and start running. My enthusiasm is very small right now as my foot is still very sore, even 2 weeks with the cast on.

Well, here we are about 3 weeks in to wearing the cast. I am starting to feel some subtle improvement. That's something, I guess.

Unfortunately my weight is sitting at about 220. Bah.

I'm heading to the gym this week to try to stop the climb, and I think my foot will tolerate some cycling, so I am going to try that gently and see if I can get some cardio back in. I've been quite active with moving and gardening, but I need some old fashioned gym work, I think. I've been lifting weights about 1-2x per week, but not consistently enough to make any change.

I have had several little cries about not being able to run and seeing the weight creep on. Like most people I can't easily stick to just food reduction, I really needed running to keep my weight down. I had a little cry on Saturday night just feeling gross and a little sorry for myself. Luckily DBF was really great and talked me down off the ledge. He runs too, and hasn't been able to much this winter, and put on a few pounds over the winter after an illness, so he can commiserate. Of course, as a guy he can hide 10 pounds quite easily, and as a tall, muscular guy he barely looks any different. Me, I feel round and roll-y. Sigh.

I can't wait to run these country hills around my new house (I moved from the suburbs to a house on a piece of property in the country). That will be a sweet moment - and there are some wicked hills for training when I am ready for that.

I had my last shockwave therapy. OH MY GOODNESS THAT HURT. It's like being lightly hammered on your most sensitive and injured spot and also getting a tattoo there at the same time. I cried. Apparently that's how you know you got the right spot. I'm only half joking. Three sessions and I am done. I go back to the doctor in 3 more weeks for a checkup which basically will consist of him pressing on the navicular bone for pain. No pain and it's healed. And then doing the same for the tendon. Sophisticated stuff.

The shockwave was $250/session, luckily covered by my supplemental insurance. Seeing the physician at the sports med clinic has been covered by OHIP, which is great. The cast cost me $200 and also covered by insurance, so i am glad to not be out that $1000.

DBF and I booked on the Norway cruise next June 2015. So excited!!! He mom bought DVC, and with our Wine and Dine trip planned we should get to Disney a couple more times. Exciting stuff is happening with our work, and we should be able to travel to DL this year too, and for work, which is lovely on the pocketbook. I'm still trying to wrangle my way in to Club 33! Maybe it will be this year.

Anyhow, that is my update. If you can run, be grateful. If you can't, well, I know how that feels :hug:

In a humourous turn of events I broke my toe on my OTHER foot this morning, leading to an interesting gait as I limp on both feet, alternatively. :cool1:

Gotta laugh, or else.

Ok! Am back at it. Today I'm heading to the gym to try my foot out on some cycling and see if that irritates the tendon. I'm also going to lift weights and try to get back into a routine, rather than the scattershot gym attendance of the winter.

Weight today: 218.2 I'm not terribly displeased with that given how the winter has gone and my foot. That's only 12 pounds up from my all-time low and not very different from where I was last week.

My goal is 215 by June 1.

Ok - buckle up for this journal from fracture to fabulous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter