Terapin's Journal: 5 yrs running! Couch to Goofy, Fracture to Fab, Baby to Dopey. Comments welcome!

I am so discouraged. I have been seeing the personal trainer 2x a week for an hour where she kicks my butt. Great overall toning, cardio, the works. I am sore the next day. I've been running short distances 2x week due to the weather. This month I have run about 25k so far. I'm really watching what I am eating. Small portions, watching calories, making good choices. No junk, no pop, few processed foods.

My scale isn't budging. I am so frustrated! I am putting so much effort into losing weight and it isn't working. I haven't lost anything since November and have in fact gone up a few pounds because of Christmas. I am sitting at about 247. How can I be working so hard and still so freaking overweight?!?!? How do other people lose big weight?!? Other than cutting my calories down to 1200 or 1500 I don't think there are very many more changes I can make that would be sustainable.

I was tracking my food and keeping right on target. I try to eat small frequent meals, I watch my sugar, carbs and fat.

What is the point of all this effort?!? And to think that someone may look at me as an overweight person and judge me to be lazy or stupid about food choices seems so stupid. I am working so hard at this, I really want to make it work, I want to run, I want to be smaller, but it seems to be out of my reach. I don't want to accept the fact that I am overweight and unathlethic but clearly I am not meant to be anything else.

I am Sisyphus pushing a big freaking rock that is me. So upset. Excuse the rant.

Happy to report that my weight is going down! Yay! Only 1/2 pound away from my all-time low. Unfortunately that was in November, but I am back on the way doooooooooowwwwwwwwnnnnn.

Finding it hard to run more than 2x week and my distances are short. Feeling tired. Wondering if it is the cold? I also got sick this week. Running in the snow just isn't all that great and getting out in the cold after dark is hard! With 3 kids running in the evening makes the most sense but I am reworking that.

Still meeting with the personal trainer 2x a week. Going really well.

Overall making progress. Feeling like the running has to come up a bunch to meet my goals but there is still time. 4 months until the 10k. 11.5 months until the half marathon. We decided to do the Marathon Weekend 1/2 because I realized that training in Ontario in January and February was silly, compared to training in the much milder November and December. Soon we can book our room!

Anyways, that is me. Feeling good and strong. Working on the weight coming down more. I hate dieting though, so I am accepting this slow progress as the price to pay for eating curries and yummy stuff (in moderation).

After that post I got a good bug. Haven't run much in the last week, but did do a good weights workout. Back in the saddle (shoes?) today with some fun exercise: we got a trampoline. We got a Springfree trampoline and the kids and I are having a blast.

Got out today and after 10 minutes of hardcore exercising I was huffing and puffing. Went online to figure the calorie count but was shocked that it was half of running. The way I am doing the trampoline it was way more work!!! I was following an aerobics for the trampoline workout, not just jumping, so maybe that was the difference. Anyhow, it was a fun way to exercise.

The last few runs I felt really tired. I think that it was because I was fighting off a cold. However the feeling of those two runs have stuck with me and I'm not keen to repeat feeling that unhappy about my runs. I know it is a state of mind and I've got to just get out there. Might go out tonight - if not, then for sure tomorrow.

Taking a week long break from running has been kinda good. I enjoyed the break, and I think it will help me re-invest in my running program, which was getting a bit stale. So, I'm going to be seriously committing to a 10k program for my May 10k. My trainer was also away for the week, so it was a break overall, and allowed me to rest and get over my cold/flu.

Weight is stable. Liking that. Going to re-invest in that too.

That's my update!

Good morning!

I was really enjoying my sessions with my personal trainer, but last night she Facebook'd me to say that she has other job opportunities she is pursuing, so just like that, we were done. I was upset and mad. I wished that she had given me a program to wind down with, and perhaps made enquiries among other trainers to see if there was another one who would take me on. Instead, I just feel dumped. And to do it through Facebook! Not even a call. I had trusted her and felt really good at the work we were doing. We really had fun and seemed to mesh in personality.

Not sure if I will replace her or replicate the workouts for a bit. At least my wallet will be heavier.

Running is kinda stagnant - the weather is really cold and I just don't seem to get out. I'm running once a week only. It's not enough. Starting March 1st I am going to start the trainer for the 10k.

Weight loss is pretty stagnant, too. Sitting at 244. Could be worse. Not gaining at least.

So feeling kinda demotivated in these last weeks. It's also mid-cycle for me - that doesn't help! (PMS).

Will continue on, I swear.

Hi guys!

Had a nice run in the freezing, but sunny, cold today. Ran 2.75km to a Starbucks and met a friend. Had a skinny latte and a cookie, and ran home the other 2.75km. Made some good time. Pleased with myself. Ramping up the running in preparation for starting 10k training next weekend.

Only ran about 23 km in January. Over the next month I would like to double that. Still such a newbie with such big dreams!

This week was very busy at work so only got in 9k. Got in a fast 3k this morning and going to start with daily high intensity workouts to rev up the weightloss which is still stagnant. Could do with eating cookies and lattes at Starbucks! :rotfl2: Ok, that was only once, but I got talked into ordering Indian food for lunch and man, it was so good and oily.

I'm trying to work on speed and distance. Today's run was a faster one for me with a composite time of 9min/km running 5:1s. I want to be at 8min/km by my race date in 12 weeks. I'd like to finish my 10k in under 90 minutes (some room for pee breaks - three births ya know - and hydration breaks).

Still, I am a fat old slow runner. Could be worse: could be a fatter, slower couch potato!

You are still on track! That is what is important :) Do you live near Toronto? I live in upstate NY on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario, not far from Kingston, ON. It is hard when you get derailed by an injury or illness but it sound like you are back on track. I'll bet the 1/2 marathon at Disney will be awesome! Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the encouragement!

I live just east of Toronto - the weather hasn't been too bad this winter but sometimes it is hard to get out there.

Some good news: hired a new trainer. His name is Paul and we will be focussing on my running. He was a guest speaker at our running club and he was there to help people brush up on their form and technique. I was mostly being left alone, but it turns out it was because he thought I was doing great! He was able to tell me that:
-I have good mid-foot strike-
-have good arm technique
-good running posture, slightly leaning forward with forward hips
-nice small stride

After the evening, I decided that I liked his energy and asked him if he would take me on as a client. We meet for our first session on a track (egads!!!!) on Friday night. He says he will become my new best/worst friend! He promises lots of emails, and tracking my progress, and several different types of running workouts to help me with my goals of more endurance and speed.

Anyway, sooooooo excited! After losing my first trainer it is exciting to be working with someone again.

Had a great day! Walked around a RV show (love those!) and had lunch with my mom, then met the new trainer.

We did a good workout together. We:

-walked, then ran up a hill a few times to get warmed up
-then I did a light run around the track (400metres)
-then 4x 200 metres at my fastest speed, aiming for a negative split on my second 100 metres, and a light run for the remainder of the 100 metres around the track
-Some stretching

In all, we did about 2.5km. Feeling good and a wee bit sore.

Really like my trainer - yay! See him again in a week and he gave me homework. :hippie:

I forgot to add above that we also did 3 minutes of bench-climbing as fast as I could. I am paying for it today, 2 days afterwards, with a very funny walk. While my quads are ok, my inner thigh muscles are verrrry tender and cause me to walk a little, um, strange. :lmao:

I haven't run since Friday but I have been very busy with babies being born. Friday night I got about 3 hours sleep, then was called to a nice birth at 0130am. Got 3 hours sleep in the hospital, then went to another birth Saturday morning. Slept for 4 hours Saturday evening, then got up for dinner, and slept for another 4 hours from 1230-430 am when I got called to another birth this morning! Just got up from another nap, and have *another* client in early labour. Coffee is my friend. All in all, 2 boys and 1 girl, so far.

Just ate, so am planning for a run around 630. It is cold here (-5c) so will bundle up and just go for a quick 2-3km. If I don't get out I will have to start off with my trainer on a bad foot, so out I go. I will try to get in some free weights as well.

Don't even ask about my weight. Not up, but NOT DOWN. Argh. I guess some food journaling is in order.

Today:

Breakfast:
125ml orange juice
Breakfast burrito thing with eggs, peppers, cheese, some sauce (was ick), on a whole wheat wrap
250ml milk - 2%
coffee

Lunch (now):
1 1/3c homemade low-fat high protein granola (hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and oatmeal toasted)
~350 mls raw milk

Guess I need some veg/fruit for a snack later.

Had a great run tonight! -7c but ran 3k in 26 mins doing 10:1s (which is good for me!).

Dinner:

4 chicken wings (I know, but I didn't cook)
1/2 cup basmati (measured)
4 raw mushrooms
1/2 cup raw carrots
sm amount soya sauce

Been drinking lots of water today. Only 2 coffees in total.

Also, once at the hospital for another birth I ate about 6-8 small Wheat Thins and about 3 tbsp light hummous, about 10 cherry tomatoes and about 6 tortilla chips, two teas with a less than a teaspoon of milk, and 150ml milk.

Last month I ran 29.2 km.

I'd like to set a goal of 35 km this month.

Quite sleep deprived (got 4 hours last night) and so will nap today. Feel bloated and up a couple of pounds due to water weight etc.

I'd like to start journaling food here to help in seeing where I am going wrong with not losing weight.

Breakfast:
small unsweetened applesauce
coffee with milk and 1/2 sugar
banana

Lunch:
3/4 c basmati
2 oz melted cheese
4 tbsp no fat salsa
Coke Zero

Snack:
Carrots with salsa
Edamame

Dinner:
lean chop made from pork loin, baked
1/2 c mushroom and onion whole-grain barley risotto (homemade; low-fat)
raw carrots
raw green beans

Snack (after run):
2/3 cup barley risotto

Exercise: 1.5km run, free weights and ab work for 30 mins

Good morning!

Had a short run last night that was cut short due to an accident of a passerby. I worked out with free weights on my upper body, and did some ab work.

Breakfast:

2 eggs
green tomatillo salsa
1 cup sour cherry juice
1 coffee with milk and 1/2 a sugar

Lunch:
Indian buffet: tandoori chicken, small amount of rice and naan, curried veggies, and 1/3 to 1/2 my plate was salad. No seconds. Two gulub jaman (sp?) and some melon. One chai tea with milk and a titch of sugar.

Snack:
Tea with milk and a wee bit sugar

Dinner:
Mushroom and onion whole wheat barley risotto 1.5 cups

Snack:
Very small organic chocolate and puffed rice square (1")
Decaf coffee, milk no sugar

Exercise: ab work x20 mins

Good morning!

Woke up feeling fabulous! It may have to do with the projected weather today being sunny and warm! Bring on spring!!!

Today is a busy day: dropping off the two boys at school and taking DD to her ortho appointment, then a morning of clinic, then a lunch with my business partner, then a meeting planning our trip to Mali, West Africa in September where my business partner and I are the chief leads on opening up a birth centre this year, and then I am meeting my running coach for a session. DH will have to get dinner going tonight! We are blessed that my mom takes the kids after school. Busy day, so I am glad I woke up feeling fab!

Breakfast:

coffee, milk and 1/2 sugar
3/4 cup 2% MF cottage cheese
1/2 a pear
small bowl strawberries

Lunch:

Sushi - will add details later
1 coffee
1 teeny scoop green tea ice cream

Snack:
Decaf coffee w milk and wee bit sugar

Dinner:
small piece lightly breaded lean pork chop
3/4 cup pasta with whole tomatoes and small amount cheese

exercise: 4.5 km trail run, including hills and ice, some brisk walking (about half)

So yesterday was fun: met my trainer at a trailhead about 10 minutes from my house. It was a forested trail, leading uphill towards a scenic look out, down to the river below. Very pretty. Lots of spruce and evergreen trees. And ice. It was cleared a bit, but it wasn't a big cleared trail.

My trainer felt a bit bad because he thought there would be less ice, given the recent weather, but it was very good core exercise keeping afoot on the icy trails. We did some running, and hiking uphill. Right now we are working on increasing my overall strength, as well as working on my running form. We got to the top in about half an hour. Good hard huffing and puffing work.

Downhill was easier but just as treacherous and I fell on my bum/hip. It was fine and today I am just a little sore from wrenching my neck.

In all we covered about 4.5km, and were out for about 60 minutes. Felt really good. It was fun, too!

The best news is that I am down a pound to 243. At my height it means that my BMI is 35 and down a full point. My BMI was 39 when I started last summer. Loving that. I don't know if it was the food journaling that is helping, or just increasing my activity quite a lot, but I am pleased. I JUST REALIZED THAT I HAVE LOST 10% OF MY BODY WEIGHT! :banana:

Hope y'all have a good day.

Breakfast:
Cauliflower - raw - 2 cups
low-fat fruit yogurt (small pot)
plum
coffee and milk and 1/2 tsp sugar

Snack:
Sauteed veggies

Lunch:
Low fat, low calorie lentil and bacon soup (350mls)
45g cheese, spiced
8 water crackers
coke zero

Dinner:
1.5 cups spaghetti with tomato sauce
1 italian sausage
sauteed mushrooms and peppers
2 turtle chocolates

Drank 2L of water today.

Hello!

Snow fell and made it look at pretty. Going to take my muddy shoes from my trail run and clean them in the snow.

-Today I did 20 minutes of cardio.
-Will do some more core work (update: did 15-20 mins).
-Will do a 4k run. Update: did a 6.5K run/60 minutes/with a hill done twice because my instructor told me to!

Breakfast:
small yogurt
coffee
water

Lunch:
2 eggs, scrambled
2 pieces seed bread with butter
1 cup blueberries
250ml vanilla soya chai protein drink.
water

Snack:
250ml vanilla soya chai protein drink and water

Dinner:
1 slice roast beef with small amount of gravy
1/2 c mashed potatoes
1/2 roasted carrots and onions
half a plate of salad with greek salad dressing
2 glasses water

Snack:
.5 ounce cheese
several seed crackers (Mary's)

Good morning!

Up bright and early to face the day.

Exercise done:
-20 minutes cardio
-20 minutes core

Breakfast:
-coffee with milk and sugar
-1 cup high protein low fat homemade granola (hemp, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, rolled oats)
-1 cup raw milk, full fat (yeah baby)

Lunch:
-very carb and oily heavy lunner (lunch and dinner) of Chinese noodles with veg and meat, and a good beer

Snack:
Coffee with milk and sugar

Hello!

Bright and shiny and warm here today.

Started my day at 0155 with a page from a labouring client.

Snack:
-125 milk
-chai tea with milk and sugar

Breakfast:
-egg burrito with peppers, cheese and jalapenos

Then I slept from 1130 am to 330pm.

Lunch:
-two slices seed bread with butter
-low fat yogurt
-two clementines

Snack:
-raw walnuts, tamari almonds and 4 very small tomatoes

Dinner:
-Low-fat salisbury steak tv dinner (low carb).

Exercise:
55 minute run spanning 6.1km including that hill twice again per running coach

I took my measurements today and compared them measurements taken Jan 17:

Jan 17:
Bust: 50.5
Waist: 45.25
Hips: 51.75
Waist to hip ratio: .88

March 11:
Bust: 50
Waist: 43.5
Hips: 50
Waist to hip ratio: .87

That is a reduction in 4" in 2 months! Yay! And a reduction in my waist to hip ratio of a wee smidge.

Feeling happy! And today's measurements were not first thing in the morning like they were in January so they represent the worst case scenerio.

Anyway, off I go to home visits.

Good morning!

Home with the kids for March Break, and finally off call (except for one special client) and looking forward to it.

I have a MOUNTAIN of laundry to do. We look like clothes hoarders, except the drawers are empty and it is all living in and around already-full laundry baskets. Today's task it to tame the laundry tiger.

Tonight I am leading our local Running Room Learn to Run (woo hoo!) as the main leader is away. My running coach is coming too, so he'll take the front of the pack and I will head up the rear. So I should get in about 25 mins easy running.

I will try to get in 20 of core today as well - DONE
Ran an easy run of 2.5k with the Learn to Run group

Breakfast:
3 eggs with green salsa
1 slice prebiotic seed bread with butter
coffee with milk and sugar

Lunch:
Tuna sandwich on whole wheat
1/2 slice bacon

Snack:
Brown rice syrup sesame bar for energy before class

Dinner:
Ground beef with low-fat gravy over 1.5 cups raw green beans

I need more greens in my diet. The supermarket has been depressing lately with the lack of fresh, local produce. This week has been low for fruits and veggies for me.

yesterday's pic after measurements:

IMG_0950.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter