Thanksgiving DLR argh!

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
So I just needed someplace to vent without my family seeing! Apparently, even though I do all the planning and go to DL all of the time (10 times already this month), I still do everything wrong.

A couple months ago my mom said, why don’t we do Thanksgiving at Disneyland rather than a whole dinner (we live about 45 min away). Everyone was on board, including my anti-Disney brother. There are 6 of us, Mom, Dad, brother, sister, sister’s boyfriend, and me (the last 3 of us have APs); the kids are in our late 20s/early 30s. So I made sure to get online 60 days out and got us Blue Bayou Fantasmic reservations, which I was super excited about!

First sign of trouble-a couple weeks ago my sister whines-Do we haaaave to eat at Blue Bayou? Turns out she’d prefer Plaza Inn. And she is still boycotting Fantasmic since they took out Peter Pan (never mind that she has been to DL once since getting a new AP and that was for a Halloween party) Thankfully my parents, who are paying, said they wanted BB, as well as Fantasmic. She also complained about the time (4:30), saying she’d rather be going on rides then; I tried to point out, 4:30 is great-little to no wait to be seated even for a water table, hottest part of the day when we can be inside in AC, and if we wait til normal dinner time it’s too crowded. Anyways, that was finally given up on and we are keeping the reservation.

Then I also tried reminding my family multiple times to buy tickets online so we can skip the ticket booth. Well they didn’t get around to it until yesterday, and when they saw the possible 24-hour delay, they decided to skip and we will need to stop at ticket booth after all.

Then last night, my mom and I were trying to decide when to leave. Park opens at 8; typically when the APs are going for just a few hours we don’t even get there until after lunch, but know with crowds we want to get there earlier. So Mom and I decide-we should leave our house by 8. Brother then said he wanted to go later so will drive himself. Sister/boyfriend are fighting (again) so she’s in an especially *****y mood, and she complains again about the early time. So I basically said-look, Mom Dad and I are going at 8. You do you.

My mom was so frustrated that everyone was crabby at each other that last night she almost cancelled the whole thing.

Well finally this morning rolls around, and surprisingly everyone is up early! So we start to get everything collected. Sister is still being *****y and some people (mainly her boyfriend) are still delaying, but whatever. I’m thinking, ok, this will be fine!

Spoke too soon-I just ask my sister for her and her BFs passes so I can connect them for MaxPass (we all have it on our APs but they haven’t visited yet to use them; I’m an active user though). She then says-no, Mom and Dad don’t want them. Well, thanks for telling me earlier! I try to explain its benefits-don’t need to ping-pong across the park, different times, etc. Then she starts going off on me about how they want this to be a relaxing trip, and don’t need me micromanaging everything. They are already spending so much money, including on my “stupid dinner”.

I finally lost it. I’m just tired of being criticized and made fun of constantly. It’s like everyone is good taking advantage of any pre-planning I do, but no one appreciates me! We (sister and I) just got back from a 11-night trip to Disneyworld, where I paid for the hotel in full, as well as other fun stuff, and did all the advance planning, while she was along for the ride. She still owes me $700 for her tickets and food and merchandise. So of course I end up crying in my room (oh, have I mentioned, all 6 adults live together).

So now it is 8:50, we are finally getting in the car. I have decided I’m not making any other decisions today. I will just follow everyone else.

Oh and as we drive off my brother asks-do they serve alcohol at Disneyland yet? Um, no. Do they have wine at Blue Bayou. No-only Club 33. I’m going to ESPN Zone then...

Anyways, rant over. I hope this trip goes ok.

Wow, makes me feel thankful it's just my partner and I together alone today for dinner and relaxing. I can't imagine the stress of what you're dealing with...even at the happiest place on earth.

Some people don't like to be micro-managed. Just let this be a relaxing day with family! Maybe hit dca dirt and grab a few cocktails to make brother happy and chill out the family. I'm waiting for my family to get here for brunch and having a mimosa right now!

Just relax and have a great time.

Wow, makes me feel thankful it's just my partner and I together alone today for dinner and relaxing. I can't imagine the stress of what you're dealing with...even at the happiest place on earth.

Some people don't like to be micro-managed. Just let this be a relaxing day with family! Maybe hit dca dirt and grab a few cocktails to make brother happy and chill out the family. I'm waiting for my family to get here for brunch and having a mimosa right now!

Thanks for understanding! I think it’s more like, they are already going to complain about the crowds. I know how to at least work with the lines and fast passes so it will be less frustrating!

But this year-I’m definitely not going to be a Fast Pass runner! If someone else wants to run around doing that, go ahead!

I like your touring style. I think you'd be a blast to do Disney with. My partner and I are just 11 days back from our annual 9 days at WDW.The magic is still fresh.

This is partly why family Disney trips have come to an end for us. It is so much harder to plan a trip when it is for adults (opinionated adults) vs kids.

My last trip to Disneyland was a solo birthday trip and it was the most relaxed trip in many years because I only had to worry about myself.

I have to agree.

Do what you want, eat where you want to eat and let others do the same. No way would I put together something like that for my family. Too many people and too many different styles.

I understand it is disappointing when you plan hard and I assume want others to be happy and pleased but they are not. Sometimes the planning job is a thankless one. Just remember that you had good intentions and others behavior is their responsibility not yours. I would try to relax and let the others do as they may. In the spirit of Thanksgiving I would would try to be thankful that even though family is annoying, they are your family and I'm sure you would not trade them. Happy Thanksgiving!

If it's your 11th visit to DL this month, why not just lighten up and go with the flow this time? If you do fewer rides or miss Fantasmic, you can catch those things next time. Everyone has different priorities when they visit a theme park. I would value harmony above productivity on a family day like Thanksgiving.

I'm so sorry this has happened. I completely understand how upsetting it can be. We invited my oldest friend and her husband to WDW. We are DVC members, let them pick the resort and time of year. They picked Easter week, crazy crowded and expensive in points but we were so excited to go. They never wanted to be involved in planning or meal reservations, just said that we were the Disney experts so anything we wanted to do would be great. Evidently not, as the complaining and second guessing began on the first day and continued through the week. They got mad and left two days early~Easter Friday and Saturday, so tons of points wasted and hurt feelings all around. We haven't been brave enough to visit with others again, except for people that we know who go a lot and understand the need to do a little planning. Can't imagine what it would be like now with the FP and MDE. I hope you were able to salvage some good memories out of today.

So did you ask for their input about anything or did you just plan something and expect them to "like" it? It sounds like you and your mom made decisions and some people weren't happy with them. That has to be expected when a few make plans for all.

So an update-

It has turned out ok so far. My parents decided to go ahead and get MaxPass and they haven’t regretted it. They’ve liked that I can just go in and book them and get them for earlier times than we’d be able to with paper. Definitely still getting snarky comments from my sister, but she has already snapped at 4/5 of us today, so it’s not just me. (To give you an example, we were getting lunch at Red Rose Tavern and she said she wanted to eat inside. It was crowded and so I suggested-totally casually-that she give us her order and then stake out a table. Of course then she snaps “I can order for myself”! Everyone just rolled their eyes and my dad decided to get a table instead.)

For the record-I don’t care about going on every ride. And because I have an AP, I could easily do a day with a few rides and not care about it. But I know the other family members are coming on a 1-day ticket and making it the annual trip, so they wanted more rides. If we had to do the paper FP, it would involve even more long lines and more crabbiness from everyone.

I’m actually really happy now that my next two trips to WDW will be solo (or with Disfriends who also like to plan).

It’s also hard to get anyone’s input on anything! On a typical night going out to dinner it takes at least 30 minutes to agree on a restaurant, which is pretty ridiculous. A lot of I don’t know, then someone suggests something and someone else says no, repeat.

And yes, it’s crowded at home. We are the definition of boomerang kids. I am just waiting for house prices to go down so I can get out.

I’m glad that it sounds like you are more relaxed. Maybe after being at DLR for 11 days in the last month, you are getting burnt out on it.

You live at home. Parents paying for the trip. 11 trips this month? Think you are fine. Don’t complain

I was wondering how your trip went. I hope the rest goes well. I totally understand about moving back home. Home prices are insane and rental prices are even worse!

You live at home. Parents paying for the trip. 11 trips this month? Think you are fine. Don’t complain
The thing is, I’m not complaining about my parents, it’s my sister who was the biggest headache. My parents were actually appreciative about my planning and getting to do a nice dinner with great Fantasmic viewing and more rides at convenient times. And my parents do let me live at home, but that is so I can save for a house/condo; remember, we live in LA, so housing prices aren’t exactly low! And it doesn’t make sense to buy at the top of the market. But their generosity has allowed me to pay off my student loans 7 yrs ahead of schedule, something I never would have been able to do paying for an apartment.

For the trip, they offered to pay for dinner, just as they would have paid for the various things for a homemade dinner; I have paid for my AP and everything else. The other trips were because I sometimes work out of my company’s office in Anaheim, which is 1 mile away from DLR, so some of those trips are just a couple hours after work.

And yes, I get it, these are first world problems. I just needed to vent somewhere and this board was the best option.

So an update-

It’s also hard to get anyone’s input on anything! On a typical night going out to dinner it takes at least 30 minutes to agree on a restaurant, which is pretty ridiculous. A lot of I don’t know, then someone suggests something and someone else says no, repeat.

The mark of passive aggressive behavior. My mother and my mother in law.

Where do you want to go to dinner?

Oh I don't know, anywhere's fine.

Ok let's go to restaurant X.

No. I don't want that.

How bout y.

No

How bout Z

No.

Do you have a suggestion?

No you pick.

Of course my mil would take it a step further. She'd actually go to restaurant X and then Tsk.. Sigh. Everything here is so blank. Fill the blank with a flaw. So we'd end up driving all the way to restaurant X only to have wasted the drive. HAHA.

Of course this probably explains my attitude on Disney. You can either come with us and tour our way or you can hang on your own and we meet somewhere for lunch or dinner or something. Here's the thing about Disney. Even if you have a terrible plan. A horrible plan. The worst plan ever devised. It's better than no plan at all. People waste up to 10-15 minutes a shot just figuring out what to do. That adds up to hours wasted.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter