• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanksgiving

In the Memphis area Kroger, Walmart, Starbucks (limited hours), McD were all open, plenty of gas stations too. We're going out to eat this year for TD as our family is all on the west coast.

Rest stops on the turnpike or major highways in NJ are open 24/7 which includes all of the fast food places in them. I would assume most states are like that.

I know in my area some fast food places are open until about 2 pm on Thanksgiving.
In my state, rest stops are bathrooms and vending machines. There are no restaurants or gas stations within the rest area.

In my state, rest stops are bathrooms and vending machines. There are no restaurants or gas stations within the rest area.

When we drive to Florida most of the rest stops we stopped at had fast food places in them. You can usually find one here or there.

I live in Indiana which is in the same area and you will find most fast food places open, major gas stations like Speedways, Loves and Pilots will be open and they will usually have some place to eat inside.

Rest stops on the turnpike or major highways in NJ are open 24/7 which includes all of the fast food places in them. I would assume most states are like that.

I know in my area some fast food places are open until about 2 pm on Thanksgiving.

Yea until about 2 or 3pm, you'll have some luck finding places open. Any later, things will start to be shut down. You'll probably still find a few places open here and there but it will be slim pickings.

Thank you all for your help - we are sorted for a proper evening meal in St Louis ... it was gas that was really worrying us.

You have all been brilliant.
we are travelling on Interstates all the way I24, I 169 and I 64 so it sounds like we should be OK for gas and we are not going to starve if we don't eat till we get to St Louis.

The key for me on thanksgiving day travel is to gas up before I really need to. If you do that, you'll easily bridge the distances you need to and find something open. The later in the day you go, the more likely something won't be open.
Ok so you're going from somewhere in Tennessee to St. Louis then?
You had planned to be taking 24 to 169 to 69 to 64. Be advised. Interstate 69 is disjointed between Henderson Kentucky and Evansville, Indiana. You'll be taking U.S. highway 41 through Henderson. It isn't an Interstate. Also there is an ongoing construction project there on the bridges that cross the Ohio River. My favorite stops. Clarksville Exit 4 off of 24. It's congested. But there are all kinds of fast food places and gas stations that are all not far off the freeway at all. Something should be open there.
You will be going right through Henderson, Kentucky on U.S. 41 so well you'll see the places there as you crawl by at 30 mph. I'd gas up there if I needed to.
Be advised. Pickings are very slim along I-64 between Evansville, Indiana and Mt. Vernon, Illinois. My car can easily bridge the distance between Nashville, TN and Mt Vernon Illinois on less than half a tank. But not everyone's can. And you still may want to stop in Mt. Vernon there and fill up so you don't have to fill up once in St. Louis. It is Exit 95. Note that I-64 and I-57 merge for three miles in Mt. Vernon and the exit numbers follow I-57 there, not I-64.
The pickings are slim along I-64 from Mt. Vernon through to the St. Louis suburbs. And well a couple of the St. Louis suburbs in Illinois, you don't really want to be stopping in anyway.

Your alternate route is I-24 to I-57 to I-64. It is all Interstate. It is actually a bit shorter and faster. But there is construction along Interstate 57 between Interstates 24 and 64. There my favorite stops are Clarksville exit 4, Paducah exit 4 (or 3) and Mt Vernon, Exit 95.

I will be headed through that area in fact about a week before you plan to. So remember to shoot me a pm and I'll let you know what's going on with construction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter