The 2009 DCI, WGI, BOA thread

Just drove back into Orlando. Wow. Top 9 are really strong. Kudos to the Blue Stars, SCV and Crown. Great hornlines. Not a fan of the Cavie show though. What did you guys think?

Looking at the scores not sure what to think! What is your take on Blue Devils?

IMHO, the Blue Devils show is a park/sit and blow and no where near as complex as Holy Name Cadets show. Holy Name Cadets show is moving so much I would just say "WOW" and would have to say "WOW" again! Those kids can march! George has a winner this year and the crowd loved it!

The Cavies show is ok for me. It's missing "something" for me and I can't put a finger on what it is yet.

PR missed the mark for me, too.

One thing I noticed this year is the lack of props on the field. Except for The Factory and the sewing machines, there weren't any that I can remember.

OrlandoMike, I haven't been to Dollywood in years. We were in Gatlinburg a few weeks ago and it was my intention to go, but alas, we got called home because of my mom's illness. I thought I heard somewhere she sold the park?

I didn't know you cooked for Scouts!

Anyone here going to finals next week?

pinnie

Pretty sure Dolly still owns the park, she is always there on opening day. And yes, I have cooked for the Scouts, Glassmen, and Magic. Boy I miss being on the road! Toughest job I have ever done, but tons of fun!

Ironically I have Thurs and Fri of Finals week off, but the wallet, lack of rooms, and no tickets means I will probably have to settle with the movies! :sad2:

We visited the high school where SCV was housed for the Murfreesboro show and had a chance to visit with the "food truck" volunteers. We also got to watch some SCV practice.

I am just amazed at how hard those people and kids work. Kudos to all the support staff that helps those kids put on amazing shows all summer.

Bless them all!

pinnie

Looking at the scores not sure what to think! What is your take on Blue Devils?

Their show is good, but it doesn't really do much for me. I mean, the guys can move, they sound great and they're clean, but ugh those chairs are so distracting! I don't think there should be that large of a spread between BD and Cavies.

I miss the BD shows of the early 2000's...ie 2000's Methods of Madness.

I see Holy Name took Crown tonight! :cool1:

On a serious note, this flu thing has drum corps written all over it! Hope everything is OK!

After several members took ill over the last few days, the Blue Stars pulled out of the July 26 DCI Tour event in Rock Hill, S.C. The corps will head to Tennessee for extra rest preparing for tomorrow's event in Sevierville.
“We have been working closely with our medical consultants and local health care providers, and those not feeling well have received medical treatment,” said Blue Stars executive director Brad Furlano in a note to corps parents and supporters. “We have isolated those affected and are taking extra precautions with regards to our food service, cleanliness of the buses, and are stepping up the emphasis on hand washing and other preventative measures."

I can't believe it's finals week! Where did the summer go??? We leave for Indy tomorrow and are staying right across the street from Lucas Oil. My niece is excited to see some I & E on Wednesday along with Quarter, Semi and Finals. It will be her second finals at the ripe old age of 16!

I'm excited just to get away and enjoy some DCI along with shopping, eating and sleeping in during the day. We don't have a lot planned, other than a side trip to The Brickyard for DH one afternoon. I'm thinking Weber's Grill one night and a few brew pubs.

pinnie

I can't believe it's finals week! Where did the summer go??? We leave for Indy tomorrow and are staying right across the street from Lucas Oil. My niece is excited to see some I & E on Wednesday along with Quarter, Semi and Finals. It will be her second finals at the ripe old age of 16!

I'm excited just to get away and enjoy some DCI along with shopping, eating and sleeping in during the day. We don't have a lot planned, other than a side trip to The Brickyard for DH one afternoon. I'm thinking Weber's Grill one night and a few brew pubs.

pinnie

That's awesome Pinnie. So jealous! Have a great time and be sure to keep us updated!

I'm jealous too! I'll probably be at the theater on Thursday night!

I promise to keep ya all updated. I just got a new Netbook that will be making it's maiden voyage on this trip. We'll be hitting the road in a few hours.

We were going to go to the Toledo show yesterday, but too many things kept popping up on the home front. I noticed that SCV did an exhibition only show yesterday because their corp has been hit with that crud that's been going around. I hope everyone is 100% by quarters!

I promise to wave to ya all on Thursday.

Next update---INDY!

pinnie

On my way to PI, gonna meet DisneyMom there! I need to suck down a Rockstar, I am beat today! They better have the volume cranked up!

Well this was my first time missing DCI and having to suffer through the theater experience. You know what, if you cant make finals, this is a nice treat! The volume was a little low for the first half, but they finally got it right by the second half.

Wow, the shows this year are some of the best ever!

Troopers, so nice to see them back at their game, Loved the show!

Boston, so darn sexy it should be X-rated!

Bluecoats, didn't think I would like it, but I loved it.

Phantom, now that they have the new costumes for the feature players, I understand the story, and I love it!

SCV, I actually cried a little, what a beautiful piece of art they have this year.

Cadets...Music in motion for sure, darn the are marching fast!

Cavies, got what the deserved, good show, but nothing great.

Crown, wow! Go Crown, you deserve everything you are getting this year!

Now about BD. What am I missing? Undefeated for sitting on a chair playing? I just dont get it. I would have them behind Cadets and Crown, but ahead of Cavies...but I guess thats why I am not a judge.

The stadium looks nice, the sound was a little distorted, but what ya gonna do with an indoor venue? I loved the black back drop, it really heped with the visual programs.

It was nice to see the OrlandoMom team, always a good time! Now I need to go make some Hamburger Helper, I spent the grocery budget on popcorn, pizza and a soda! :sad2:

Was great to see you again Mike!
Was also nice to see the theater full. Last time we went for Classic countdown (08), I think only about 20+ very quiet people were there.

I soooo agree with your reviews, maybe adding a WOW for SCV, they seem to be back with a vengance :banana: if they can retain the kids and the staff for next year.... look out

and a WOW for Crown. They hooked me back with Bohemian Rhapsody and I haven't left :yay::yay: They ROCK.

Will be an interesting finals night, cause the fat lady sure aint sung yet

just me
:surfweb:

Here is your report from Indy:

We are at the Staybridge, right across the street from Lucas Oil. Wew went to I & E on wednesday and found out the Cavies pulled out because of illness.

Yesterday we attended quarterfinals at Lucas and I have to say I am very disappointed with the sound in the dome. I can honestly say that it's awful!

The corps shows are great. There are a few corps with holes due to illness. Yesterday we heard that BDs had confirmed cases of swine flu but later news denied it.

We are off to Open Class and then lunch.

Questions?

pinnie

Dumb question, but how is the food in the dome? Are the prices ridiculus, and how are the selections? I would think since its brand new they would offer a little more than the standard hot dogs and peanuts.....

On my way to PI, gonna meet DisneyMom there! I need to suck down a Rockstar, I am beat today! They better have the volume cranked up!

Hello? Hello?
:confused3
What ta frig is a Rockstar?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter