The 2009 Vero Beach Adoration and INFO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband passed away suddenly on July 12th after a long battle (5 years) with Colon Cancer he was 49 years old and left behind DD16 & DD8 and myself.

My husband LOVED Disney...we grew up in South Florida and spent our honeymoon at Disney, of course.

We had a VBR trip planned for this past August as kind of a "LAST TRIP" with the girls. Unfortunately, he didn't make that trip. His last words were "promise me that you will take the girls to Disney....and tell the girls that I love them." Our first night at VBR my DD8 and I saw our first shooting star, she says it was her "DADDY" and I believe she was it right, it was his way of saying that Disney was "OUR" special place and that I did the right thing by taking the girls on that trip. It was the hardest thing that I have ever had to do, but one of the smartest decisions that I have ever made.

Even though SSR is my HOME resort and I LOVE it there, VBR now has my HEART! :love:

Thanks for asking Rob, this is the first time that I have told anyone these things and I feel much better. *even though it made me cry** :sad: By the way, my name is Jan.

Ok I need the box of tissues over here please.

Your post/story has truly touched me. My father died of colon cancer when I was 16 (my mom died of a rare form or blood marrow cancer when I was 13).

I am so glad you are able to continue to go to Disney with your family and you and your daughters feel his presence there.

I am more than likely going to think of you and your family now each and every time I am there. :goodvibes

:cool1: Today is the day I get to make my reservation for May.
Tonight I get to add my name to the roll call list.:thumbsup2

Buckalew posting; this is DD's computer and I cant logoff and logon to my name.

We arrived Sunday night at VB and had horrible rain showers from Sanford down to VB. Stopped at Publix on the way in for groceries as we have a 2 bedroom (dedicated) so my lovely view (room 1235) is the main building and parking lot along with A1A. :( Not so happy with that but we got in so late and had a dedicated so not much I could do.
The room is very nice, pretty decor and huge.
The CMs have all been very nice and helpful. Good attitudes here from eveyone so far.
We played bocco (?) ball with Hank who was a gem and a very nice family who were almost pros, I think (LOL). That was fun.
DH has ran every morning--nice area to run in.
The weather has not been great. Sunny yesterday until after lunch. Then just cloudy. The ocean had a lot of seaweed but tomorrow the tide will turn and take it all away. I'm used to beaches that are cleaned of that, but VB does not because of the natural habit it provides.
Within the first 15 minutes in the ocean both DD and DNi were stung. DD by something? and DNi by what Eb and Flos though was a Portugese Man of War. She has a pretty big sting on the back of her leg but has not had some of the terrible side effects one can have from them--thank God.I am not sure if I'll get her back in the water or not! LOL

We've watched some movies (because of the rain) and Ive done some reading which is nice but I wanted to read out in the sun, darnit. ;)

Hopefully the weather will clear up sometime today and tomorrow will be better still. Right now, I'm wishing I was at WDW but, we'll see.

Crowds are low here and that is nice. I guess that is normal for October? So if the weather will cooperate, I think this would be a super nice place. The beach is just not too much fun in the rain whereever you go. We could go shop but Im not much of a shopper. Friday we are driving up to S/D and right now, I'm pretty excited about that.

Hopefully, when I check back in, the weather will have greatly improved and fun will be had!
Oh, my mom(70) has an old HS friend from Ocean County NJ living down here and they are having lunch today so that is really, really nice!! I hope she has
a blast reminising with him. :)

Poohgirl...I've added you to the roll call !

Good luck dort getting your reservation---I'll wait to see your dates.

Lenc324.....have a great upcoming trip. I didn't see that we have your exact dates in the roll call. Let me know if u want me to add your name :)

HouseMD : Thanks for the preliminary TR :thumbsup2
So sorry about both the Man O War stings and the rain (and the view). Wonder what time of the year is the worse for Man O War ? I was there in Aug and never saw one or heard about anyone else seeing them.
So hope the sun comes up and the rain dries up ! Hope your mom has a fun time with her friend from HS :goodvibes

:banana: Mia please add me to the roll call :banana: May 3 to May 13, yes!!!! Not going to do anything but RELAX. Ocean View Inn Room, I can hear the waves now. I requested a "direct view" also, once the view was not really an ocean view. CM's were great and did get us a "direct" view.
We have been going the same time of year now since 2005, this time of year is great for DH and I. Going to take a year off of seeing Mickey and spend the whole time at VB.
Rob, we will have to try to meet.

oops, i think i have the VB adoration club avatar (?) in the wrong spot. :confused3

Within the first 15 minutes in the ocean both DD and DNi were stung. DD by something? and DNi by what Eb and Flos though was a Portugese Man of War. She has a pretty big sting on the back of her leg but has not had some of the terrible side effects one can have from them--thank God.I am not sure if I'll get her back in the water or not! LOL

We'll be checking in this weekend...are the jelly fish common this time of year???:eek: I don't think I've seen one before..can you see them in the water?

Hope the weather clears for you!!

dort---I've added u to the roll call !!!!

Garnet.....
Here's a pic of a Man O War (taken from the 2008 VB thread from another poster) :
manowar.jpg

and I'll have to try and dig up a pic I snapped of a jelly fish at Castaway Cay. It was taken with a disposable camera so I'll have to scan it first. Let me see if I can find it. I almost swam right into it at CC---they can be a little tough to see. We saw a much bigger one in St Thomas during a DCL excursion.
But I'm not sure if dh snapped a pic of that one ? I don't think we had the camera.

We'll be checking in this weekend...are the jelly fish common this time of year???:eek: I don't think I've seen one before..can you see them in the water?

Have a great stay :thumbsup2

There are a variety of jellyfish and jellyfish type creatures in the warm waters around florida. Most of them are fairly visable as they have a bubble or sail that protrudes above the water. The more scary ones like the portuguese man-o-war and the box jelly are of this type. They are not necessarily seasonal as they mainly live in the gulf stream ongoing. It is when you get strong east to southeast winds that they are pushed to the shore. The PMOW lives in vast colonies so if you see one there is a real good chance there are more. I guess it is more likely to have S,SE winds in the summer months so in that respect you could call it a more likely period to see them, but they can show up any time of year. Just be aware of what is around you and you shouldn't have any problems. I have spent 100's of hours in the ocean at VB and only once was stung by a Sea Nettle.

;)

Have a great stay :thumbsup2

There are a variety of jellyfish and jellyfish type creatures in the warm waters around florida. Most of them are fairly visable as they have a bubble or sail that protrudes above the water. The more scary ones like the portuguese man-o-war and the box jelly are of this type. They are not necessarily seasonal as they mainly live in the gulf stream ongoing. It is when you get strong east to southeast winds that they are pushed to the shore. The PMOW lives in vast colonies so if you see one there is a real good chance there are more. I guess it is more likely to have S,SE winds in the summer months so in that respect you could call it a more likely period to see them, but they can show up any time of year. Just be aware of what is around you and you shouldn't have any problems. I have spent 100's of hours in the ocean at VB and only once was stung by a Sea Nettle.

;)

My planned Oct. trip may now have to be moved up to Sept......I was thinking third to last week of Sept. Can anyone comment on this time of year? Love Bugs? Jelly fish? I know its hurricane season:confused: ..but hubby's work schedule is puttin a cramp in my ressie times!!

Read your posting about going to VB easter week.
We were thrilled to get April 4-11 but have heard
about large crowds at the resort. We purposely
did not go to WDW because of this. Do we
nned to hawk a pool-side seat in early morning ?
How about signing up for activities, the character
breakfast? Dinner reservations?
We are new to VB, any advise would be great.
Just got finished paying those insane airfare
prices for easter week, so we're locked in!!!!
Thanks, jacki

We were told those jelly fish were here about twice a year. Lucky us! LOL Have not seen anything since!

Weather is still rainy. A bit more sunshine today. I'll update more later!

I haven't had time to put together a trip report but I wanted to check in and say we had a great visit 9/30-10/2. The place was half empty (which is just fine with me) and we almost ate by ourselves at Shutters most nights. There was a small but vocal group out for the Campfire and Smore's and I brought home a few ankle bites as souvenirs but nothing that ruined a vacation. We had OVIR (and had to put up a small fight (nice one, of course)for ocean-facing room) room 2219. Would have preferred a higher floor but still had a magical sunrise each morning. Our room had just been renovated and it was lovely. Because I've never been there before, I'm not sure what had changed. I was told they were doing something with the sinks? countertops? vanities? Everything looked great and worked well so we were happy. And-yes, we had wi-fi internet service, no problem. We couldn't use our cellphone, however. We had to walk into the hallway and face the lobby to get cell service. Thought that was a little strange. There were many people in the lobby and on the porch with their computers so I don't think everyone had the internet. I'm not sure if it was because we were in the main building or because we were in a renovated room.
I'll write more later and try to include some photos.

I'm not sure if it was because we were in the main building or because we were in a renovated room.
I'll write more later and try to include some photos.

Well I hope they're setting up the rooms. We were in the main building in mid August and had no internet in the room. Is it Wifi or broadband (like the WDW resorts ?). Thanks for the update RCharnay :thumbsup2

We will take our first trip to Vero April 19 - 22, 2009. We have a 2-bedroom and I can't wait to go!

Jayne

Well I hope they're setting up the rooms. We were in the main building in mid August and had no internet in the room. Is it Wifi or broadband (like the WDW resorts ?). Thanks for the update RCharnay :thumbsup2
It was wi-fi. We set up at the table -no wires-no looking for the phone.

Here's the view from 2219 early morning Oct 1st, 2008
verotrip013.jpg

Here's the view while still in bed
verotrip016.jpg

Here Comes the Sun-
verotrip019.jpg

verotrip020.jpg

verotrip022.jpg

The start of a great day at Vero Beach Resort!

Love that sunrise - thanks so much for the pics :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter