The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I loved the Harry Potter update!! The quotes were perfect!

Also, jellied eels were very much a thing in muggle London. It was a popular treat for the workers in the East End. There used to be lots of Pie and Eel shops in London. I spent a year in London in 1997/98 and there was one close to where I lived. Part of the fun of the HP books is how closely they are based on English culture, emphasizing those parts that fit.
I LOVE how I learn new things through being here! I had NO idea! And yes, I adore that the books parallel closely with English culture I can't see myself eating that, but maybe? After a drink or two. :laughing: Have you tried it? Do you care for it?

Ahhh I do love HP books, have read all of them several times!
DA is such a fun place to explore and who does t love the Knight Bus!
I quote HP all day when in the parks with Andi!
I confess, I only made it through book 4 and then petered out. They started to be repetitive to me but I would also say that since visiting Uni, I kinda have an urge to give the last 3 another try.

The Knight Bus is perfect! I love that Stan stands around for a photo op too. :)

You really made your review interesting by including the HP content. It is fascinating to see how Universal was able to recreate the world. I especially enjoyed seeing the interior of the Knight bus. I hadn't seen a picture of that before. It looks just like the way it was described in the book. :)
Thanks! It was a bit of work to find and type the quotes out, but made for a fun trip down PotterMemoryLane. LOL!

I'm glad I took the time to peek in! As I re-read the Rowling description I also realized how wonderful her writing is and that indeed, not only the bus, but everything else is spot on in how Uni did it all.

Liesa, that was SO much fun to read!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

IMG_2336-L.jpg
What an awesome picture and attention to detail!! In my two trips to Universal, I didn't even think to try to get a peek inside!! I can't wait for the chance to go back and see it in person now :)

“Welcome,” said Hagrid,“ to Diagon Alley.” (Sorcerer’s Stone, Ch. 5)
It gave me goosebumps reading this whole update, but I especially love this quote! It reminded me of the very best picture I've ever captured candidly! I entered Diagon Alley ahead of Rob and Jimmy because I was hoping to catch Jimmy's reaction. I was snapping away and didn't realize I got this one until that night back at the hotel when I was looking through the day's pictures.
20180623_071429

Liesa, that was SO much fun to read!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

What an awesome picture and attention to detail!! In my two trips to Universal, I didn't even think to try to get a peek inside!! I can't wait for the chance to go back and see it in person now :)

It gave me goosebumps reading this whole update, but I especially love this quote! It reminded me of the very best picture I've ever captured candidly! I entered Diagon Alley ahead of Rob and Jimmy because I was hoping to catch Jimmy's reaction. I was snapping away and didn't realize I got this one until that night back at the hotel when I was looking through the day's pictures.
20180623_071429

I"m SO glad you liked it!! I had fun doing it too because I realized how much I didn't appreciate the books when reading them. The parks really brought the stories to life for me and I honestly can say, I'm more excited about the franchise now than before going.

OH. MY. Word!! What a fantatic picture!! Just magical! I LOVE the expression on his little face. It'd be a perfect photo for them to use on a website or brochure! ::yes::

What a bizarre turn of events you experienced that day. We all did, but being away from home would have been incredibly jarring and frightening. :hug: I'm so happy you could re-arrange your flights and get home safely. And... I got your PM, and will definitely reply, just stupid work hours that are all over the place and my sleep is being broken into 4-5 hour chunks now. I *think* tonight will be my last middle of the night shift for a while though, so hopefully can focus more than just on sleep/work/DIS a bit.

Yes it was certainly a bizarre day. No worries, happy to chat whenever you have time. Glad to be home safe too. Though your HP update is making me nostalgic and wishing we had more time (and less worldly distractions) while we were there so we could have taken in more of the details.

‘Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard; just stick out your wand hand, step on board, and we can take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this eve—'

I had no idea you could go in the actual bus and take pics!! How did I miss that? Probably was a big line...but still...so cool!

“Oh no,” said Hermione, stopping abruptly. “Turn back, turn back, I don’t want to talk to Moaning Myrtle—”

Not sure if I missed something, but does Myrtle actually make any noises in the actual bathrooms?

Yes it was certainly a bizarre day. No worries, happy to chat whenever you have time. Glad to be home safe too. Though your HP update is making me nostalgic and wishing we had more time (and less worldly distractions) while we were there so we could have taken in more of the details.

Today is a day I have time. :)

I think the Potter area, like many areas of Disney, has so many details, it'd need more than one trip to see the all. I hope you get to go back and have another stroll through!

I had no idea you could go in the actual bus and take pics!! How did I miss that? Probably was a big line...but still...so cool!

There is a small opening at the back on the driver's side to go up. It's just a small set of steps and you can't really go "in", but you can see through to the front. I kinda found it on accident and was sure glad I did!

Not sure if I missed something, but does Myrtle actually make any noises in the actual bathrooms?
Yes, but you have to listen carefully. There was a lot of women in there when I was and it took me a while to hear her. It's not constant, so you also have to time it right or wait.

Please feel free to skip the quoted parts, or the whole thing
Done!

Easiest update I've ever read!

Oh, fine... I'll read the rest.
a toothbrush of my choice. I took green, of course.
Why green "of course"??
an enchanting world where things are just a bit different than we see in our Muggle world this side of the brick wall.
::yes:: Just a bit.
I too sauntered on the cobbled streets,
You could've sashayed, but nobody's perfect.
wishing I had a bag of gold, silver, and bronze jangling in my pocket.
Can I just have the value of said gold, silver and bronze in my account? I don't want to carry a heavy bag. Just a debit card is fine.
Instead, I usually collect crap like alcohol wipes, pieces of EKG strip with miscellaneous vital signs written on them, and gum wrappers.
Did not know this about you.
What's too often missing is my pen.
And yet you have a rectal thermometer in your shirt pocket. Odd.
I paused at one café offering jellied eels, stewed eels, and eels and mash.
mmmm… yum!
served in sushi, I thought to myself, eel isn’t too very terrible.
True. :)
Harry went on to keep his Nimbus 2000 and not splurge on the Firebolt, but I could not pass up my opportunity to take it for a test ride.
you sure did! I managed to find a photo:

quidditch.jpg

Get that Golden Snitch, Liesa!

Meantime, payments on the new Muggle-mobile continue on. And on. And on… forever.
Just got mine paid off... finally.
Perhaps I had been slipped a Nosebleed Nougat in my coffee that fateful morning at Animal Kingdom when the stone pathway was painted with my sanguineous outpouring.
Ohhh... So that's what happened. Explains everything.
My research paid off and while not in the classic HP series, J.K. Rowling, in her other writings, mentions this in her book of children’s stories called Tales of Beedle the Bard, which in turn is mentioned in the HP book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Had no idea it was a real book. I remember it from HP and I think there were tales presented at Universal too.
“A “kindly old wizard” dies and leaves his magical cooking pot to his foolish son. The son spurns his neighbours’ requests for help and discovers that the pot becomes more and more annoying as it takes on the neighbour’s ailments and problems. In the end, the son learns to help others.”
Not bad.
Speaking of books, here is the premier book seller of Diagon Alley- Flourish and Blotts. I saw they were still stocking the Monster Books despite the proprietor swearing to never stock them again.
Meh. He couldn't resist stocking a hot commodity.
I’d had my eye on the Ploughman’s Platter which, of course, would be far more than I could eat,
I would think so! It was too much for Elle and I!
Daisy Dodderidge did a whizbang job on her Inn which serves both as pub and bed and breakfast.
::yes::
At the table next to mine sat a group of young adult men from Japan who ate very little, picking at their food, and leaving most likely perplexed, disappointed, and hungry.
:laughing:
It goes without saying that I also inbibed a butterbeer.
I should hope so!!
But not before paying a visit to Moaning Myrtle.
1. I can't believe you took a photo of a toilet in a public restroom!
2. Did Myrtle actually moan in there?
Today I could not avoid it. I’d had some butterbeer and we all know how that ends.
:rolleyes:
more goosebumps emerged on my Oregon-pasty white skin.
We need to get you to visit Alison more often.
The shrunken heads were still ghoulishly displayed
I liked how they sang. :)
I found myself happy that Trader Sam had a merchandise outlet to keep him in business.
nice one.

Meh, I do what I need (emphasis on need) to do and try to keep my distance. It's really a no-brainer, but well... panic, hysteria, over-kill and all that.
I will keep my distance, but... there are still some who haven't figured that out. I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about them!
...cuz you don't play?
Oh. Right.
Yeah, that'd do it.
Sometimes our kids are the best sources of entertaiment.
I think they did a pretty good job on making them look pirate-y but still comfy. Sure, they could be wearing eye patches and swords, but... not very practical for operating a ride either.
True.

The quick, 15-minute journey was fun with a soundtrack of retro songs playing that everyone knows the words to. In fact, one of my favorite memories of the UniBoats was one trip from Portofino to CityWalk in which ‘Sweet Caroline’ came on and the whole boat of passengers started to sing it all together. The captain himself was pretty animated and added to the fun with silly jokes, singing along with us, etc… Anyway, we docked, and the evening buzz was in full swing at Uni’s shopping district. The neon, general upbeat vibe, sights, and sounds make for a really nice way to spend a warm, Autumn evening after an equally nice day.
There is nothing better than having a beautiful warm evening to saunter around.
Bright and early I was up so I could experience the UniWorld version of RD. Rope drop works like magic in most places you’d visit, theme park or not. The old adage ‘the early bird gets the worm’ is simply true. Yes, I had Max Pass, but I still wanted a low crowd, no wait start to my day for better photos, and to stay one step ahead of the riff-raff. (For those of you who might be new readers, I do use the term affectionately with no real malice at heart. Just to be clear.) The most obvious place to start is in Daigon Alley at USO. So after standing to "tap in" for RD for about 30 minutes, I fast-walked (NO RUNNING IN THE PARKS!!) towards the entrance to this secret world of witches and wizards.
I would do the same thing. I am always amazed at how much I get done before others are even out of bed.
The fast-walking ceased; the gawking began. Ho….lee…. crap! Is it fair to say that Disney was out-Disney’ed?! Sorry if that offends your Disney diehard little heart, but I was justifiably blown away. Diagon Alley in one word, is mind-blowing.
Love the pictures. I need to get there one day!
The track, props, special effects, music… it’s a perfect package. My unsolicited opinion? The ride itself is not worth the price of a park ticket, but combined with the overall themed area, the butterbeer, the Hogwarts Express… yeah, all that makes a trip to UniWorld totally worth it. Would I go again? A resounding YES!
I would go to the Dark Side just for HP!
I hope reading about places we love helps you escape from the cares and stresses of the times we are in.
It really does. Especially since I just cancelled my July trip planned to celebrate Jack's 20th birthday. We don't expect the border to be open to non essential travel until June 30 at the very earliest and that's the day we were supposed to leave.
Yes, watching the other guests was indeed entertaining. At the table next to mine sat a group of young adult men from Japan who ate very little, picking at their food, and leaving most likely perplexed, disappointed, and hungry. I, on the other hand, feasted heartily on a delicious spread of the Cauldron’s finest. Meats, cheeses, greens, bread and Scotch Eggs. It goes without saying that I also inbibed a butterbeer. The repast was perfect for fueling me up to continue on with my day.
Looks just like a traditional Ploughman's lunch from an English pub. I would enjoy that too.

I thoroughly enjoyed the quotes interspersed with your review. Reading about your adventures at HP world is especially timely as Jamie and I are continuing our HP movie marathon. Although today brings the first day of Online learning/teaching to our family. My Google classroom goes live at 8:00 and we have virtual "office hours" from 9-11 each day plus planning meetings. Definitely a very different way to run a kindergarten program!

Hope you are staying safe and well!

I paused at one café offering jellied eels, stewed eels, and eels and mash. We Muggles prefer our food less slimy I think and yet, served in sushi, I thought to myself, eel isn’t too very terrible.

Yeah, that's a hard pass for me.

Nice form. Knees a little more bent, and keep your back straight.

Oh, wait--that's golf.

Perhaps I had been slipped a Nosebleed Nougat in my coffee that fateful morning at Animal Kingdom when the stone pathway was painted with my sanguineous outpouring.

Ah, yes. That would explain it.

In the end, I chose the Leaky Cauldron as the fare sounded most appealing to my liking.

Good call! Love the theming in there.

Yes, watching the other guests was indeed entertaining. At the table next to mine sat a group of young adult men from Japan who ate very little, picking at their food, and leaving most likely perplexed, disappointed, and hungry. I, on the other hand, feasted heartily on a delicious spread of the Cauldron’s finest. Meats, cheeses, greens, bread and Scotch Eggs. It goes without saying that I also inbibed a butterbeer. The repast was perfect for fueling me up to continue on with my day.

Sounds like a quality meal time.

I didn’t take many pictures in Knockturn Alley as a sense of see and flee seemed to grip me.

Also, it's really dark in there!

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: Perfect!

I confess, I only made it through book 4 and then petered out. They started to be repetitive to me but I would also say that since visiting Uni, I kinda have an urge to give the last 3 another try.
In my opinion, Book 5, Order of the Phoenix, was the hardest one to get through. 6 was my favorite, though I have still never narrowed down the reason I enjoyed that one so much, and 7 wraps it all up. Definitely worth a read!!

OH. MY. Word!! What a fantatic picture!! Just magical! I LOVE the expression on his little face. It'd be a perfect photo for them to use on a website or brochure! ::yes::
That means a lot coming from someone with your photographic talent!! That picture just gives me goosebumps!

Done!

Easiest update I've ever read!

Oh, fine... I'll read the rest.

Well, I did give you an out... I mean, you don't HAVE to. ;)

Why green "of course"??

My favorite color.

You could've sashayed, but nobody's perfect.

Perfection comes as a package, where sauntering is always preferrable, it's the overall goods that make it perfection.

Can I just have the value of said gold, silver and bronze in my account? I don't want to carry a heavy bag. Just a debit card is fine.

Not a bad idea, but after this is all over... you may want to re-think.

Did not know this about you.

:)

Nurses collect the kookiest stuff!

And yet you have a rectal thermometer in your shirt pocket. Odd.

:lmao:

I love that joke.
you sure did! I managed to find a photo:

quidditch.jpg
:scared1: You didn't! ( I mean, I may not have my pilot's license quite yet, but I CAN fly. ;) )

:worship::yay: I love it!!! Look at me fly?! You didn't tell me you were coming to that match or I'd have arranged for Tea afterwards!

Get that Golden Snitch, Liesa!

I did!! Cinched the Cup with that game, ya know!

Just got mine paid off... finally.

:woohoo:party::woohoo:party::woohoo:party:

That's huge! Congrats!

Ohhh... So that's what happened. Explains everything.

The janitorial staff should have a stern word with the jokester.

Had no idea it was a real book. I remember it from HP and I think there were tales presented at Universal too.

Huh! That'd be fun to catch- it was like Street Performers or something?

Meh. He couldn't resist stocking a hot commodity.

Heh, the only hot commodity now is TP. And I hate to admit it, I'm running out being home more. I'm honestly not sure now if having a bucket by the toilet isn't going to be a thing. :rolleyes2 Good thing I have practice from living in a 3rd world country for so long.
I would think so! It was too much for Elle and I!

It was the best looking thing on the menu so waste be damned.

1. I can't believe you took a photo of a toilet in a public restroom!
2. Did Myrtle actually moan in there?

I did!! Beyond Myrtle actually moaning... yes, she did!, I liked the design of the potty itself. I mean, if it's meant to be a pull chain (Yes, I know it was adapted for us Muggles.) how did they reach it? I mean, did they have to flourish their wands to flush or...?
We need to get you to visit Alison more often.

I've been thinking about that actually.
I liked how they sang. :)
Me too! Such a fun touch! If Sam only knew that his poor heads were relegated to the choir now.

I will keep my distance, but... there are still some who haven't figured that out. I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about them!

Wash your hands, don't touch your face, and you'll be fine. Honest.

Good article here from the New England Journal of Medicine:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.10...X6yV9qpJCw3IA-iV1st3dBQGm4FQ-rLlhf5QWWT8UmnUA
Particulary Paragraph 2:

"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic. "

Anyway, I don't want to muddy up the thread and get all controversial and such, but... I stand by my panic-and-overkill-is-happening view.

Oh. Right.
Yeah, that'd do it.

I heard that "down here" they are getting rid of the big jackpots altogether. So now.. why bother. The little tickets hardly EVER pay out more than enough to buy another ticket.

There is nothing better than having a beautiful warm evening to saunter around.

Not at all!!
I would do the same thing. I am always amazed at how much I get done before others are even out of bed.

For sure!! And, I love the early morning cool temps when I have more energy too.

Love the pictures. I need to get there one day!

Well worth your time!
I would go to the Dark Side just for HP!

And it'd be worth it too!

It really does. Especially since I just cancelled my July trip planned to celebrate Jack's 20th birthday. We don't expect the border to be open to non essential travel until June 30 at the very earliest and that's the day we were supposed to leave.

Well, shoot!! That's certainly NOT good news!!
Looks just like a traditional Ploughman's lunch from an English pub. I would enjoy that too.

I wish I liked beer. Seems like that is the most traditional accompianment to go with it. LOL!

I thoroughly enjoyed the quotes interspersed with your review. Reading about your adventures at HP world is especially timely as Jamie and I are continuing our HP movie marathon. Although today brings the first day of Online learning/teaching to our family. My Google classroom goes live at 8:00 and we have virtual "office hours" from 9-11 each day plus planning meetings. Definitely a very different way to run a kindergarten program!

Hope you are staying safe and well!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) It was fun to write!

I need to have another day of watching HP stuff. I really liked them, especially 1-4. (Same with the books.)

Hang in there with the new routine and stress of working with unknowns coupled with fear and potetial tech problems. It may not be ideal, but it CAN be good. Wishing the best for you during this strange time!

Yeah, that's a hard pass for me.

I'd try it, but it might be only once. Then again, I've said the same thing about raw oysters and so many swear by them as tasty. #skeptical
Nice form. Knees a little more bent, and keep your back straight.

Oh, wait--that's golf.

But, it is kinda like golf in the air.
Ah, yes. That would explain it.

Rufied in Disney... :rolleyes:

Good call! Love the theming in there.

For sure!!

Also, it's really dark in there!

Very. I was pretty amazed at how they got it just right in there with the lighting, effects, props, etc...

In my opinion, Book 5, Order of the Phoenix, was the hardest one to get through. 6 was my favorite, though I have still never narrowed down the reason I enjoyed that one so much, and 7 wraps it all up. Definitely worth a read!!

At some point, I should get back to making my way through them.
That means a lot coming from someone with your photographic talent!! That picture just gives me goosebumps!
Hah! Well, thank you! But I am always pretty humbled when I see my rankings on the contest site I enter things in occasionally.

Well, I did give you an out... I mean, you don't HAVE to. ;)
But then you would've just sauntered away and we can't have that.
My favorite color.
That'd explain it. :)
Perfection comes as a package, where sauntering is always preferrable, it's the overall goods that make it perfection.
:sad2:
Not a bad idea, but after this is all over... you may want to re-think.
Nope.
If the banks all go belly up and money is valueless... we're going to have far more to worry about than whether or not we have pretty rocks.
What will be of value? Skills. Are you a Dr.? Plumber? Carpenter? You'll have value. How to books will be valuable. Pepper was once worth its weight in gold.

But... that's apocalypse speculation. We're far from that, still.
Nurses collect the kookiest stuff!
So I see!
:scared1: You didn't! ( I mean, I may not have my pilot's license quite yet, but I CAN fly. ;) )
I know. I posted the photo. ;)
:worship::yay: I love it!!! Look at me fly?! You didn't tell me you were coming to that match or I'd have arranged for Tea afterwards!
Oh, sure. But I didn't want to bother you, what with all your adoring fans hoisting you on their shoulders and all.
I did!! Cinched the Cup with that game, ya know!
Of course! Hence the hoisting.
That's huge! Congrats!
So glad it's over.

Thinking of buying a new car now.

:duck:

(And no. Not really.)
Huh! That'd be fun to catch- it was like Street Performers or something?
I believe so?
Heh, the only hot commodity now is TP. And I hate to admit it, I'm running out being home more. I'm honestly not sure now if having a bucket by the toilet isn't going to be a thing. :rolleyes2 Good thing I have practice from living in a 3rd world country for so long.
You should give potty lessons! YouTube it!
It was the best looking thing on the menu so waste be damned.
::yes:: Agree!
I did!! Beyond Myrtle actually moaning... yes, she did!, I liked the design of the potty itself. I mean, if it's meant to be a pull chain (Yes, I know it was adapted for us Muggles.) how did they reach it? I mean, did they have to flourish their wands to flush or...?
Cool!
And... Magical toilets flush themselves, you know.
I've been thinking about that actually.
Oh? Got a visit to California in the planning stages?
Me too! Such a fun touch! If Sam only knew that his poor heads were relegated to the choir now.
Wash your hands, don't touch your face, and you'll be fine. Honest.
Thanks, nurse.
Particulary Paragraph 2:

"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic. "
And yet...

Nope. Not gonna go there.
Anyway, I don't want to muddy up the thread and get all controversial and such, but... I stand by my panic-and-overkill-is-happening view.
Understood.
I heard that "down here" they are getting rid of the big jackpots altogether. So now.. why bother. The little tickets hardly EVER pay out more than enough to buy another ticket.
Oh, really? I thought they were big money makers?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter