The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

You can see that on ticketmast alone. If you put in a date for next week or even 5 months from now there are sections of seats on resale on there website. Sometimes balcony going for $700 or $800. I check frequently since this bothers me so much!

It bothers the playwrite/lead actor as well. He is who got the push to allow true ticketmaster resell because people were making tons through scam tickets on stubhub. It is sad what theater has become when shows get popular. I wish we had stricter resell laws that would make it less likely for scalpers to buy up tickets for the simple fact to resell.

You can see that on ticketmast alone. If you put in a date for next week or even 5 months from now there are sections of seats on resale on there website. Sometimes balcony going for $700 or $800. I check frequently since this bothers me so much!

How & why is that even legal? It's illegal to stand out front of the theatres to scalp tickets for mega-bucks, which is the way it should be, as these people are taking advantage of others, but it's OKAY to do that online under some sort of company. :sad2:

How & why is that even legal? It's illegal to stand out front of the theatres to scalp tickets for mega-bucks, which is the way it should be, as these people are taking advantage of others, but it's OKAY to do that online under some sort of company. :sad2:

In NYC it actually isn't illegal to stand outside a theater and sell tickets for an upcharge. They just must be 500 feet away since Broadway houses are all less than 5,000 seats. Trust me these guys know exactly what 500 feet is and that is why you usually see them on the same corners.

In NYC it actually isn't illegal to stand outside a theater and sell tickets for an upcharge. They just must be 500 feet away since Broadway houses are all less than 5,000 seats. Trust me these guys know exactly what 500 feet is and that is why you usually see them on the same corners.

Illegal or not it's pretty horrible! You can't even get a decent ticket to the show for months for under $500!

The fact that Lin is ok with it really annoys me too.

Illegal or not it's pretty horrible! You can't even get a decent ticket to the show for months for under $500!

The fact that Lin is ok with it really annoys me too.

He isn't really okay with it but knows it is a problem he can't stop. There is absolutely no way to stop scalpers. So instead of having it done on Stubhub where it where fake tickets were being sold he pushed to allow Ticketmaster resell that would at least protect the buyer. Trust me Lin tweeted all the time that the only way he suggested buying tickets was direct through ticketmaster and that if people stopped buying resell tickets there wouldn't be a market for them. Since people buy them anyways the producing team looked at ways to protect the buyers and ticketmaster resell is the best way.

Can someone here please explain to me what a preview opening (or whatever it's called) is? Are only certain people invited or can anyone go? DS has a friend in "Fiddler on the Roof"'s orchestra, so he's going to the "Preview" openings next week. He said it doesn't "officially" open for another month or so. I've never heard of this, but didn't want to act dumb.

Can someone here please explain to me what a preview opening (or whatever it's called) is? Are only certain people invited or can anyone go? DS has a friend in "Fiddler on the Roof"'s orchestra, so he's going to the "Preview" openings next week. He said it doesn't "officially" open for another month or so. I've never heard of this, but didn't want to act dumb.

There are previews which even the general public can go to. You just buy a ticket as shows play for roughly a month in previews before their official opening.

There is also a gypsy performance. The gypsy performance is usually the day before previews start and is for industry only usually. It is possible to invite a friend though.

With a preview performance it is still essentially "in rehearsal". Meaning they are still tweaking the final product and things could go wrong to take a show down for a moment.

I've gone to previews in the past where the entire show was stopped and restarted.

One thing to remember when attending "previews" is that sometimes they are still making "tweeks" in the show before "opening". So the final product may be different from what was first presented. We found this particularly with "If/Then". I would guess they made some changes in "King & I" also, since the first night of previews, which we attended, was much too long. I'm sure they trimmed a little as it progressed through previews.

He isn't really okay with it but knows it is a problem he can't stop. There is absolutely no way to stop scalpers. So instead of having it done on Stubhub where it where fake tickets were being sold he pushed to allow Ticketmaster resell that would at least protect the buyer. Trust me Lin tweeted all the time that the only way he suggested buying tickets was direct through ticketmaster and that if people stopped buying resell tickets there wouldn't be a market for them. Since people buy them anyways the producing team looked at ways to protect the buyers and ticketmaster resell is the best way.

But we all know scalping isn't going to stop. However it's ridiculous the resale prices. As previously mentioned o check frequently, and with other shows or concerts price usually goes down right before a curtain or start time. Not with Hamilton they stay high even minutes to curtain.

I have bought ticket resale before and probably will again but 5x the original price is crazy.

There are previews which even the general public can go to. You just buy a ticket as shows play for roughly a month in previews before their official opening.

There is also a gypsy performance. The gypsy performance is usually the day before previews start and is for industry only usually. It is possible to invite a friend though.

That's very interesting. The word "gypsy" also helps explain to me why there's a FB page called "gypsy housing" which DS said is aimed to those people in the arts looking for housing in MYC. At first I wondered why he'd joined a page called "gypsy housing" since we're not gypsies. I'll have to ask him about that gypsy performance. Thanks!

That's very interesting. The word "gypsy" also helps explain to me why there's a FB page called "gypsy housing" which DS said is aimed to those people in the arts looking for housing in MYC. At first I wondered why he'd joined a page called "gypsy housing" since we're not gypsies. I'll have to ask him about that gypsy performance. Thanks!

Gypsy performances are hard to get into as they are usually for people already on broadway or off broadway. I was "in" the industry for several years and even played 2 seasons on a Broadway Show League softball team and never got a Gypsy ticket.

Preview performances are necessary for many shows as the first time the show is performed in front of an audience, it shouldn't be opening nite, and reviewed by critics, especially for a show that is a comedy, or one that depends on the audiences' reactions or participation. That could account for why the show changes so much by opening nite.

I just finished the best class! Stetson University Lifelong Learning (non-credit personal interest classes) offered its third session of Broadway Musicals (I've attended all three, and the instructor has promised a fourth class in the February session). The classes meet once a week for three weeks and are "taught" by a former Broadway dancer. He was Dance Captain in several smash hits (he was included in some of the videos we watched.) I don't know what they saw the first week because DD was in emergency gall bladder surgery and I missed class, but last week we saw some amazing clips as we discussed the theme "Love_________Style." The first was British - My Fair Lady, then Italian - Nine, then Asian - The King and I, and finally American - Annie Get Your Gun. This week's theme was What Would You Do? We saw clips from The Color Purple (fantastic voices!). Miss Saigon, and Cabaret. The instructor was very knowledgeable and had some interesting insights into various productions of each show. I'm glad I was sitting in the back because I cried during the Miss Saigon clip. It hit too close to home - DH was on the penultimate chopper to leave Saigon when the city fell.

But it was a fantastic session and I can't wait for February! Anyone living in the Orlando area is encouraged to join us. The classes are held at the Celebration campus of Stetson University.

Queen Colleen

Could you elaborate on this? I live in Windermere and this sounds so interesting! I'll be eight months pregnant in February but this sounds like something I would love to do.

With a preview performance it is still essentially "in rehearsal". Meaning they are still tweaking the final product and things could go wrong to take a show down for a moment.

I've gone to previews in the past where the entire show was stopped and restarted.

I went to a preview of Chicago many years ago and yep they paused the show. I actually found it very interesting. like a backstage peak into how a show gets produced.

LOL, FINALLY, FINALLY GOING TO SEE WICKED. 12/19
Sister, me and girlfriends decided to blow off black friday this year and instead we got tickets to Wicked. I've wanted to see it for years now.

:banana::banana:

Could you elaborate on this? I live in Windermere and this sounds so interesting! I'll be eight months pregnant in February but this sounds like something I would love to do.

The following url will give you overall information and this past fall's schedule of classes, which will describe the program far better than I ever could! You can send Stetson Lifelong Learning an e-mail or call them (contact info provided in schedule) and ask to be put on their e-mail list. The url is http://www.stetson.edu/administration/lifelong learning/

They have classes for lots of different interests. I also took classes on de-cluttering and organizing, and crocheting.

Queen Colleen

The following url will give you overall information and this past fall's schedule of classes, which will describe the program far better than I ever could! You can send Stetson Lifelong Learning an e-mail or call them (contact info provided in schedule) and ask to be put on their e-mail list. The url is http://www.stetson.edu/administration/lifelong learning/

They have classes for lots of different interests. I also took classes on de-cluttering and organizing, and crocheting.

Queen Colleen

Wonderful, thank you! I'll keep my eyes out for the spring schedule to post.

But we all know scalping isn't going to stop. However it's ridiculous the resale prices. As previously mentioned o check frequently, and with other shows or concerts price usually goes down right before a curtain or start time. Not with Hamilton they stay high even minutes to curtain.

I have bought ticket resale before and probably will again but 5x the original price is crazy.

It's crazy how high they stay. Don't people want to make money from them? I check about 25 minutes before curtain every night (I go to school in the city and would leave class early to catch a performance in a heartbeat). I haven't seen anything under $250 even at that time. That is just out of my price range. I try lotto whenever I can but still have had no luck. It'll happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter