The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Has anyone visited littleisland.org? Have been twice so far and loved it! I went when it first opened to just walk around and see what it was about. Then I went back when Tina Landau (SpongeBob The Musical director) had a performance for Pride Month in their amphitheater. It was amazing and I can’t wait to go back. Being there at sunset….breathtaking. 🥰

Has anyone visited littleisland.org? Have been twice so far and loved it! I went when it first opened to just walk around and see what it was about. Then I went back when Tina Landau (SpongeBob The Musical director) had a performance for Pride Month in their amphitheater. It was amazing and I can’t wait to go back. Being there at sunset….breathtaking. 🥰

We have tickets timed with the sunset on Monday, can't wait!

Also check out free concerts around the city - usually in the city parks, I think. I am going to post about them as I compile more info about them. The city has been doing this for a number of years successfully.

@lorimay Here's a really quick list of some free concerts & stuff to do around the city. Hope you get this in time before you head here.

There's SummerStage, which are free concerts in Central Park and some of the other parks. There are a couple the week you are here:

https://freetoursbyfoot.com/summerstage/#line

As NoSugarNoCream mentioned, there are performances at the different piers around NYC: South Street Seaport (Pier 17,) down along Battery Park City, Pier 45 at W. 10th St in Greenwich Village, Chelsea Pier at 23rd St, there's Pier 84 near the Intrepid Space Museum at 45th St, one further up at West Harlem Piers Park up near Riverside Park, and some others.

Here are a couple calendars which list them. The first one also lists Bryant Park at 42nd St.

https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/free_summer_concerts

Make sure you input the dates you are in the city on this calendar. They list a lot of the piers that aren't in the map above, as well as some smaller city parks.The Piers are listed as, "Hudson River Park: Pier ___."

https://www.nycfreesummer.com/index.php

I also mentioned this a couple months ago. It's now ongoing at Lincoln Center for the summer. They have covered the whole center promenade with fake green grass to give people the feeling of being in a grassy park. They have several different performances going on all around near the different buildings of Lincoln Center in a program called Restart Stages.

Lincoln-Center-The-Green-Restart-Stages-Plaza-NYC-7-1.jpg

uvmfrd7q6qp27es2k6cb.jpg

They even laid down grass on the steps. Adorable sheep puppets by @Basiltwist greeted guests arriving to Restart Stages. :lmao:

SheepRestartStages.JPG

They are creating 10 outdoor stages for performances and rehearsals. Programming will include the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center’s annual summer evenings concerts, Lincoln Center Theater concerts and cabaret, New York City Ballet dance workshops, Film at Lincoln Center screenings and a Lincoln Center Theater concert and cabaret series.

Venues will include a cabaret-style stage on Hearst Plaza, dedicated family and kids' areas with arts activities for young people, open venues for rehearsals, space for public school graduations, and an outdoor reading room, created in partnership with The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts.

EyaBh3NXEAAO2J7-1024x690.jpg

Julliard School concerts:

_l1a2885juilliardnow.jpg

Some events will be live streamed on websites of Lincoln Center and its partners. :woohoo:

They have some evening films and performances. Tickets for these are by online lottery 3 days before those events.

All offerings will occur outdoors with safety protocols in place for artists, audiences, and staff. :thumbsup2

To see the Lincoln Center calendar and more info:

https://www.lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home#homepage-calendar

Last edited:

Little Island opened just several weeks ago, after decades of red tape cancellations and delays. Architecturally, built on a lot of "pods" it looks so interesting! I can't wait to go. :cloud9: (I heard parts of the Highline have also been re-built up for this summer. I want to go there too. )

210524225200-02-little-island-ny-0525.jpg

little-island-thomas-heatherwick-new-york-city-usa-hudson-river-park-concrete-photo-timotthy-schenck_dezeen_2364_sq-b.jpg

This is what it looked like for decades. At night, driving by, it used to have an eerie, apocalyptic feel to it as this was all there was. :scared: I'm glad the area has new life to it now.

330px-Remains_of_Pier_55_-_panoramio.jpg

We have tickets timed with the sunset on Monday, can't wait!

BTW, for Shakespeare In The Park or evening concerts, remember to wear bug spray. The mosquitoes really come out at sunset. :duck: :headache:

Last edited:
Little Island opened just several weeks ago, after decades of red tape cancellations and delays. Architecturally, built on a lot of "pods" it looks so interesting! I can't wait to go. :cloud9: (I heard parts of the Highline have also been re-built up for this summer. I want to go there too. )

210524225200-02-little-island-ny-0525.jpg

little-island-thomas-heatherwick-new-york-city-usa-hudson-river-park-concrete-photo-timotthy-schenck_dezeen_2364_sq-b.jpg

This is what it looked like for decades. At night, driving by, it used to have an eerie, apocalyptic feel to it as this was all there was. :scared: I'm glad the area has new life to it now.

330px-Remains_of_Pier_55_-_panoramio.jpg

BTW, for Shakespeare In The Park or evening concerts, remember to wear bug spray. The mosquitoes really come out at sunset. :duck: :headache:
Ok thanks for that tip!

we are here, we went to the little island last night, had tickets for sunset. unfortunately it was a gloomy evening so no sun at all. Enjoyed the park though.
Also went to the edge at 5. Not great views with the clouds. My husband didn’t enjoy it at all. He hates heights like that. I loved it.
Thanks for the Lincoln center info. We entered the lottery for Friday nights show. We love jazz. Friday is his birthday so I hope we get it.

Thanks for the Lincoln center info. We entered the lottery for Friday nights show. We love jazz. Friday is his birthday so I hope we get it.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get the tickets.
CrossingFingers2.gif
In any case, I hope DH has a great birthday. :cake:

O.M.G!!! I am fan-girling. :love: :faint: Hugh Jackman was on Stephen Colbert last night doing a little bit of The Music Man, coming back in Sept.

It should already be cued up to the 4:38 min mark:
(Make sure to watch through Hugh tap dancing. :faint: )

Part 2:

Last edited:
STOMP is up and back in performance at the off-Broadway, Orpheum Theatre.

On GMA this morning: (I liked their precision at the end.)

For the NYC schedule, tickets and to read the current COVID-19 safety protocols in place and about their very flexible exchange or refund policy:

https://stomponline.com/index.html

Starting August 8, they will start touring again, starting in upstate NY, then touring around the country. For the tour schedule:

https://stomponline.com/tickets_tour.html

New rules for attending (or working) a Broadway show was announced today by the Broadway Theatre League.

(After reading the press release below, if, for any reason you want/need to cancel and get a refund for your tickets, check the policy of the company that sold you your tickets. The majority of the them, if not all, have refund policies in place during these very unpredictable times.)

Broadway Theatres In New York City Announce Vaccination and Mask Requirement For Audiences
NEW YORK (July 30, 2021) – The Broadway League announced today that the owners and operators of all 41 Broadway theatres in New York City will require vaccinations for audience members, as well as performers, backstage crew, and theatre staff, for all performances through October 2021. Masks will also be required for audiences inside the theatre, except while eating or drinking in designated locations.
Under the policy, guests will need to be fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO authorized vaccine in order to attend a show and must show proof of vaccination at their time of entry into the theatre with their valid ticket. “Fully vaccinated” means the performance date must be at least 14 days after the second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine, or at least 14 days after a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine.
Theatre owners and operators will begin notifying ticket holders for performances through October 31, 2021, with reminder messaging planned to ensure awareness of the new policies. For performances in November 2021 and beyond, theatre owners anticipate a review of policies in September, and may include a relaxation of certain provisions if the science dictates.​
When asked about the collective decision to require vaccinations, Charlotte St. Martin, President of the Broadway League said, “As vaccination has proven the most effective way to stay healthy and reduce transmission, I’m pleased that the theatre owners have decided to implement these collective safeguards at all our Broadway houses. A uniform policy across all New York City Broadway theatres makes it simple for our audiences and should give even more confidence to our guests about how seriously Broadway is taking audience safety.”​
Exceptions are being made for children under 12 and people with a medical condition or closely held religious belief that prevents vaccination. These guests must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of the performance start time, or a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 6 hours of the performance start time.
Speaking for the theatre owners, Nick Scandalios of The Nederlander Organization added, “With these procedures in place and recognizing the high vaccination rates among NYC audiences, Broadway continues to make safety our priority. As we get ready for Broadway’s big comeback, the entire theatre community is committed to the highest level of public health standards. We’re all eager to welcome our many patrons and fans back to the magic of Broadway.”​
Further information can be found at Broadway.org.​

Slowly inching forward to the Broadway reopenings. . .

EDITED: Found a FULL clip of The Lion King cast finally reassembled again at the Minskoff Theatre for the first time since March 2020. Director, Julie Taymor is talking at the beginning. Tshidi Manye has starred as Rafiki since 1997.

Last edited:
An interview with playwright Antoinette Chinonye Nwandu for her play, Pass Over, which is one of the only two shows currently back on Broadway now. The other one is Bruce Springsteen's show.

If you are coming to the city and are looking for something Broadway related, while the shows haven't reopened yet, there is a costume exhibit called Showstoppers. It has an eight-week limited engagement through September 26 at 234 West 42nd Street. Google for discount tickets to the exhibit.

For those who can't make it here, here is a 17 minute tour of all the eye candy: :lovestruc

So, if you are in Manhattan the next couple of weeks and you bring the kids and they are screaming and crying that they want to ride a ferris wheel. :sad::sad: Don't worry, we got you covered! :thumbsup2

In Times Square, on Broadway between 47th & 48th Streets there is now a temporary ferris wheel. The price is $20 for adults, $15 for kids and $35 to skip and get to the head of the line.

The times are 12 noon - 12 midnight daily - only through Sept 12. Then it's gone.

This showed up in my YouTube suggestions:

This is a FULL clip of the Broadway cast of The Lion King finally reassembled again at the Minskoff Theatre for the first time since March 2020. Director, Julie Taymor is talking at the beginning.

I get teary-eyed
HappyTears.gif
every time I watch this.

Tshidi Manye who plays Rafiki, has been playing her since 1997. Here is a clip of her talking about her being celebrated for doing the show for 20 years. That was 4 years ago. I hope we get to see the opening number and cast's curtain call on re-opening night. I bet it will be just as wonderful and emotional. It's just a little over 2 weeks now! :lovestruc

Last edited:
The Come From Away Broadway cast performed ‘Welcome to the Rock’ on GMA this morning. They are coming back to Broadway in about a week and a half.

A look at Hadestown on reopening night, Sept 2. 75 year old, Andre de Shields got a 2 minute standing ovation when he walked out.
HappyTears.gif

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter