"The Calm Before The Storm" Tour (Part 9)

2BoysMum&Dad

Mouseketeer
In my hand-written notes I made at the end of Friday 23rd July, I spookily gave the day’s report the heading “The Calm Before The Storm”, only because it was the day before we flew out to Florida and didn’t think at the time it was really a very good or apt title. I have decided to name all the parts of my trip report “The Calm Before The Storm Tour”, in honour of the climax of our trip - Hurricane Charley which gave us an extra day in Florida.

Saturday 31th July

THE CAST

Sergeant Major Zoe “You WILL enjoy yourselves”
DH Trevor “I am NOT going to like this”
Birthday Boy Michael (aged 10 to 11)
“Why” to everything Piers (aged 8 and a bit)

So, we are a week into our holiday and so far have stuck pretty much to my itinerary. But, saying that, things haven’t gone exactly to plan as I thought we could do 8am to 10pm at each park every day without a rest! I really didn’t think we would be tired by lunchtime most days. Often during the holiday we would be at a park in the morning, go back to the room for lunch and/or a swim and back to the park or a different park in the afternoon.

Today is an E.E. day at Disney M.G.M. which is one reason I picked today to do this park. Breakfast as usual in the room and we got there for 9.10am – typical :rolleyes: – jetlag over and we now can’t get anywhere on time! :rolleyes: This actually didn’t cause us a problem as we saw a lot of stuff here today and I had still planned another visit here on another day.

First port of call – “Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Show”, but discovered the first show didn’t start until 10.15am. We got Fast Passes for this which we didn’t really need and then headed off towards “Star Tours”. This is a classic simulator style ride and fun. Then off to “Honey I Shrunk The Kids Movie Set Adventure” (a playground) for a while before we head back to Indiana Jones.

Unfortunately, the kids grew back to their normal size after we left this “playground” :(

3022Honey_I_Shrunk_The_Kids-med.JPG

On the way back to Indiana Jones, The Green Soldier ordered us to have fun!

3022Toy_Soldier.JPG

The Indiana Jones stunt show was great and they do some interesting stuff with a large group of volunteers from the audience. A definite “must do”. Then off to see the Muppet 3D show. Trevor always suddenly becomes sergeant major just before entering any 3D show to ensure we get “middle of the row” seats! Objective achieved on this occasion and we get ideal positioning :D. This is a great show with the real “old men in the balcony” and the huge “Sweetums” character wandering about in front of the audience.

After we came out from this, it was time to debate what we were going to do for lunch. Decided we would eat in this park rather than back at the room and headed for the Hollywood Brown Derby but Trevor was not keen – looked a bit too expensive for the likes of him :rolleyes:! We looked at the map and thought we’d give the Sci-Fi restaurant a go. A great themed restaurant, unfortunately we were unable to get one of the “cars” – really need to do a p.s. to get one of these – or not mind waiting an hour or so. But we did get one of the ordinary round tables at the back. We promised Piers we try and come back on another occasion and get a car next time! The idea of this restaurant is to make you feel like you are in an American outdoor drive-in movie theatre. There’s a load of “cars” facing a big cinema screen showing clips from many science fiction films – mainly real “turkeys”, but great fun! The food was good value for money, but nothing special – but I did rather enjoy the crispy onion rings.

At this stage we were feeling a bit tired and decided to head back to CBR. On close inspection, I discovered another blister on my foot. Total blister count now equals five :( Trevor and the boys went for a swim while I sorted out some washing and then I headed off to the main building, Old Port Royale. Bought myself some Mickey earrings and necklace which I thought would be great to wear at the DIBB Meet on Monday night. I also refilled my mug while I was there. I used the car to get there and back, got to save my legs for the parks you know! :D). It was getting on a bit at this stage, so we ate some buns and other supplies in the room before setting off again for MGM – arriving at around 6.15pm.

It was drizzling when we left CBR and was ok until we got to the turnstyles of MGM and then started chucking it down heavily within just a few seconds! We headed straight for the Great Movie Ride and we were a bit like drown rats while going around this ride, never mind!! The Great Movie Ride was actually one of my favourites. You sit in a large vehicle which takes you around inside the building and there are some great animatronic figures and movie sets to look at. Your “tour guide” who stand up at the front of the vehicle interacts with the action in a couple of places and it’s well worth the experience. There are many similarities between the way they do this ride and Ellen’s Energy Adventure at Epcot. Trevor wanted to do Start Tours again, so we did that. Then we had an ice cream before setting off to see “Fantasmic” – a truly brilliant show using all sorts of visual effects throughout the show including films projected onto sprays of water, lit-up boats, fire on the water, fireworks – everything! We were really tired by the end of this and headed straight out – along with everyone else of course, so it did take a very long time to leave the park.

Back to CBR and bed! ZzZzZzZzZz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter