The DIS Dad's Club Group W.I.S.H. Journal

Scales are frustrating things!!! I think I’ll just stay off of ‘em, ‘cause what they say makes no sense, and adds to the confusion. :headache: OK, end of rant, now here’s what going on. I’m actually doing well (for me). I’ve made it through the first full week of this change in direction without any major breakdowns. The food intake is down by well over half and I’ve been out on the walking trails everyday. After a couple of days I got over the nausea and now I’m almost used to the contentious stomach ach, so I think I can honestly stay with this (so long as I stay off the scales).

Now back to my rant (‘cause I need to get it out of my system)… I started off on this expedition weighing in at 227 and surprisingly found myself down a couple of pounds to 225 by Tuesday (no great shakes, but a decent start). Now only two days later and I’m up to 228, :eek: despite having actually stayed on the wagon through out the whole process? I think I’ll just skip the bloody scales and simply keep at it until my pants don’t fit any more. :sad2: Then I might get back on a scale.

Nuf’said… How y’all doing?

Been thinking about buying one... I've had a couple in the past, but they were kind of a pain to carry around and didn't seem to count right half the time (I could walk for a while counting my steps and the count on it would be off). Does anyone have any experience with them or know where I could find a good quality one that works well and is convenient to carry around?

If you have a Nintendo DS laying around the house there is a program for it called Personal Trainer walking that comes with two "Activity Monitors" that track your movements through the day and then report it through the DS. I have seen it but not had a chance to play with it but it seems kinda cool, since it comes with two they say you can compete against a friend or even clip it to a pet.

Been thinking about buying one... I've had a couple in the past, but they were kind of a pain to carry around and didn't seem to count right half the time (I could walk for a while counting my steps and the count on it would be off). Does anyone have any experience with them or know where I could find a good quality one that works well and is convenient to carry around?

I got mine from blue cross. Apparently they weren't happy with my weight. :)

This is the one I have - I've used it for two years now and not had to replace the battery.

If you have a Nintendo DS laying around the house there is a program for it called Personal Trainer walking that comes with two "Activity Monitors" that track your movements through the day and then report it through the DS. I have seen it but not had a chance to play with it but it seems kinda cool, since it comes with two they say you can compete against a friend or even clip it to a pet.

If someone has done this I'd like to know how it works. It would be great if they were compatible with Wii Fit

Scales are frustrating things!!! I think I’ll just stay off of ‘em, ‘cause what they say makes no sense, and adds to the confusion. :headache: OK, end of rant, now here’s what going on. I’m actually doing well (for me). I’ve made it through the first full week of this change in direction without any major breakdowns. The food intake is down by well over half and I’ve been out on the walking trails everyday. After a couple of days I got over the nausea and now I’m almost used to the contentious stomach ach, so I think I can honestly stay with this (so long as I stay off the scales).

Now back to my rant (‘cause I need to get it out of my system)… I started off on this expedition weighing in at 227 and surprisingly found myself down a couple of pounds to 225 by Tuesday (no great shakes, but a decent start). Now only two days later and I’m up to 228, :eek: despite having actually stayed on the wagon through out the whole process? I think I’ll just skip the bloody scales and simply keep at it until my pants don’t fit any more. :sad2: Then I might get back on a scale.

Nuf’said… How y’all doing?

Here is what I recommend as far as scales:

Give yourself a "weigh-in" day.. Friday or Saturday mornings are usually good.. but only weigh-in once a week.. not any more.. remember scales don't always tell the entire truth.. you can convert fat to lean muscle, and not notice the scale move at all..

Sounds like you are off to a good start.. I like the idea of staying off the scale.. especially if it frustrates you... keep working.. and eating well.. and see what happens in a few weeks..

Good job!

Give yourself a "weigh-in" day.. Friday or Saturday mornings are usually good.. but only weigh-in once a week.. not any more.. remember scales don't always tell the entire truth..

Done! :thumbsup2 That’s a more reasonable (and rational) plan then avoiding them all together anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement. I’m glad this little thread exists. I honestly think that just knowing I can come here and hangout helps a great deal. :goodvibes Well… I guess I better get back to the tough business of not eating. :rolleyes1

Y’all take care…

Give yourself a "weigh-in" day.. Friday or Saturday mornings are usually good.. but only weigh-in once a week.. not any more.. remember scales don't always tell the entire truth.. you can convert fat to lean muscle, and not notice the scale move at all..

I do Friday mornings. I also have a chart in the bathroom by the scale where I record my weight every Friday. It works either as a "look how far I've come!" encourager or a "shame on you, look what you are doing to yourself!" motivator.

This morning was not good, but I'm pretty sure I can blame every one of those 4 pounds gained on stress eating. But, now with the funeral behind me and some nice cool walking weather on the horizon, I should be able to shed the excuses and extra weight I put on.

I do Friday mornings. I also have a chart in the bathroom by the scale where I record my weight every Friday. It works either as a "look how far I've come!" encourager or a "shame on you, look what you are doing to yourself!" motivator.

This morning was not good, but I'm pretty sure I can blame every one of those 4 pounds gained on stress eating. But, now with the funeral behind me and some nice cool walking weather on the horizon, I should be able to shed the excuses and extra weight I put on.

But now you'll be all buff from tossing around hay bales on the farm. Or do you only have to toss around 1/5th of a hay bale? In that case results may vary:confused3

Yesterday was an OK day for me. I ate decently (not great - too much cheese, which means too much fat - but decently). But I took The Bug to a roller skating party right after school, and when I sat down at a table to hang out while she skated, I banged my knee on the table leg HARD. I decided that taking an evening off of treadmill work was smarter than taking a little bruise and turning it into an injury.

I didn't do a very good job of tracking what I was eating this weekend, but all things considered I think I did OK.

I did get back up on the treadmill tonight, and got 3.28 miles done in my hour.

That's probably the last workout I'll get in at home before we leave for the trip. I might get one more in, if my hotel in Omaha has a decent workout room and I have time while I'm there. But I've still got too much to get done to have treadmill time.

Wish me luck - hopefully vacation eating doesn't completely undo the work that I've been doing over the last couple of weeks.

Wish me luck - hopefully vacation eating doesn't completely undo the work that I've been doing over the last couple of weeks.

Good luck. Sure, you're going to have some big meals, probably not eat at a regular schedule and go over your normal calorie levels, but just think of all the exercise you're going to be getting. :thumbsup2 Seriously though, if you're walking 3+ miles on the treadmill now, just think of how that is helping you prepare for this trip. It should have you ready to do a lot of walking in the parks, and you know you can pass 3 mi/day easily on vacation. Even if you don't eat the perfect diet this trip, you should come home ready to resume your workout routine, and maybe even with a little more endurance.

I'm hitting the treadmill during lunch today. I like it when I can work from home.

Just wondering what everyone else (especially those poor shlubs like me that have desk job) has for an eating routine during the day? One of my biggest problems is getting hungry while at work. I've gotten pretty good at staying away from the candy machine and the guy down the hall at always brings in doughnuts, but it's not easy. As soon as hunger sets in, I start getting easily distracted until I eat something.
My typical day is usually:
5:00am breakfast. Typically one of the following: a bowl of Cheerios, a bowl of oatmeal, a pb&j sandwich with some ham or turkey for extra protein, or a couple of scrambled eggs.
Around 10am I make a Thomas Betterstart English muffin (100 calories) topped with either Smuckers Low Sugar Strawberry Preserves or Naturally More Peanut Butter with Flax seeds.
Noon. Lunch is typically leftovers from whatever was for dinner the night before.
2 pm Afternoon snack. Triscuit Thin Crisps with a 35 calorie Laughing Cow cheese wedge.
4 pm. If I'm not focusing hard on something, I typically get hungry and have a Quaker 90 calorie granola bar.
5:30pm I get home with the kids and start cooking dinner. We usually eat around 6. I'm lucky that I very rarely need a snack between dinner and going to be at 10.

Does anyone else have good ideas for snacks that will sit well at work? (We have a fridge not far away that I have access too) Any other tips for fighting the work day munchies?

Monday morning check in: current weight 222 (and I won’t get on another scale until next Monday). So far that’s about 4 to 5 pounds since I started about 2 weeks ago (decent, but I know it will get harder). I’m at least staying with the program.

My only real slipup since Thursday was splitting a piece of cake with my DW yesterday. Actually, considering that we were up at her momma’s house Sunday (where there is always w-a-y too much very good food) I’m surprised that I was able to keep the caloric intake under any kind of control at all. The rest of the weekend went well in the areas of portion control and snack avoidance and I also got my rump out on the walking trails every day this past week except Friday & Saturday. However I believe that I more then compensated for those two days by working as part of the “Pit Crew” for my son’s high school band (no small task I assure you). We had a ballgame Friday and their first of five competitions for the year on Saturday. As the physical requirements of those too activities included about fifteen hours on my feet (most of it moving) combined with copious amounts of heavy lifting (including loading and unloading the 40’ trailer twice in the Carolina heat), I think I made up for it.

Well, back to the grind…

Does anyone else have good ideas for snacks that will sit well at work? (We have a fridge not far away that I have access too) Any other tips for fighting the work day munchies?

Hummmm… How about pieces fresh fruit (oranges, apples, pears and the like), which are generally far tastier and more satisfying then celery and carrot sticks. I actually have the same problem, but my usual solution has been just to grit my teeth and stick it out (which I’m sure is wrong, but at two weeks into this business, I’ve just about gotten used to the reduced intake).

Just wondering what everyone else (especially those poor shlubs like me that have desk job) has for an eating routine during the day? One of my biggest problems is getting hungry while at work. I've gotten pretty good at staying away from the candy machine and the guy down the hall at always brings in doughnuts, but it's not easy. As soon as hunger sets in, I start getting easily distracted until I eat something.
My typical day is usually:
5:00am breakfast. Typically one of the following: a bowl of Cheerios, a bowl of oatmeal, a pb&j sandwich with some ham or turkey for extra protein, or a couple of scrambled eggs.
Around 10am I make a Thomas Betterstart English muffin (100 calories) topped with either Smuckers Low Sugar Strawberry Preserves or Naturally More Peanut Butter with Flax seeds.
Noon. Lunch is typically leftovers from whatever was for dinner the night before.
2 pm Afternoon snack. Triscuit Thin Crisps with a 35 calorie Laughing Cow cheese wedge.
4 pm. If I'm not focusing hard on something, I typically get hungry and have a Quaker 90 calorie granola bar.
5:30pm I get home with the kids and start cooking dinner. We usually eat around 6. I'm lucky that I very rarely need a snack between dinner and going to be at 10.

At a glance, I'd say your snacks are almost purely simple carbs. That means they may quench your hunger in the moment, but the satisfaction isn't going to last long. You'll digest them quickly, and they won't take up much space in your digestive system, so you won't feel full. I'd try and snack more on veggies or at least on more complex (whole grain) carbs.

I was taking the dogs for a nice long walk last night, going along, having a good old time burnin' calories. Then I turned the corner, the wind shifted and I got a nice long smell of McDonalds. I toughed it out though, finished my walk without taking two dogs through the drive through. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Weigh in is tomorrow morning...

I've not been doing well on the exercising (chest hurts right now), but I've been doing alright with portioning. I just need to remember to stop eating anything after 8pm.

Sometimes you just got’a make yourself do the right thing. Staying with the program was a bit harder then usual last night. I really didn’t want to go out on the walking trail, but sucked it up and started out anyway. No sooner do I get out the door, then the rain starts up again. Arg… However, I need to do the exercise part of the equation to pull this off, so I was good and kept going. A couple of miles latter I was soaked to the bone, but I did the work. Of course it’s also true that I’d have been soaked in sweat otherwise, so what’s the difference. The second problem was not having any meetings, or rehearsals, or school functions that required my attendance last night. That led to too having much time sitting in the house (with the added rain and oddly cool temperatures) where I could notice all the “tummy rumbelin”. Along about 10:00, I really wanted some cake n’ coffee, but on the up side I only had the coffee. Maybe tomorrow will be a bit less frustrating.

Weigh in was productive, but unspectacular - down 2 pounds. Progress is being made, now I just need to keep it up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter