The dreaded car seat or not question for my 5.9 year old!!

MichelleC

Mouseketeer
My dd is 5.9 y.o., almost 48" and 38-39 lb. I can't decide if I want her to sit in her car seat (booster with 5 pt harness) on the plane or not. Any input? She will need one for our rental car, though. Can I count on them having on for her if I let them know ahead of time??

Thanks!

Michelle

My youngest will be 6 in December and we haven't used a carseat on the airplane in a few years. Personally I feel the advantages of using a CRS in an aircraft dissapear after age 3 or so (JMHO). By 6 your dd will be fastened safely by the lap belt and old enough to understand to keep it buckled. She will also be able to use the tray table and have much more room- a problem in the CRS. Remember how small the airplane seats are -add the CRS and your dd will have little room to move - esp at 48" tall.

You can reserve a CRS (booster or traditional) from your rental car agency ahead of time- cost ranges from 8-10 per day. You can also check your CRS through with the baggage and save some $.

BTW - I haven't seen a CRS that allows use of the harness after 40inches or 40 lbs - I know my Century Breverra dosen't. It may be time to switch out of the 5 point!. If not let me know so I can recommend for my SIL!

Have a great trip
TJ

In our car, dd uses an integrated CRS that is "good" up to 50 lb.

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward your view point.

Michelle

PS Also, she's only 43"...ds is the 48" one, I got them mixed up! LOL!

I wouldn't bother with a carseat on the airplane for an almost 6 year old. She'll definitely need one for the car; but it looks like you've already got that taken care of.:)

tjmw2727--About a seat that you can use a 5 point harness with after 40 lbs. Britax makes 2--the Marathon (5 point up to 65 lbs) and the Husky (5 point up to 80 lbs). Both of these seats are over $200; but usually worth the money to someone who is really interested in a 5 pt. past 40 lbs. (It was to me!) There is also another seat made by Safety Baby called the Airway, it's 5 pt up to 50 lbs and costs around $75 shipped.

tx dmonroe

My girls are both in boosters now but my sil is about to purchase a forward facing 5point seat that converts to a booster for my nephew. I don't think she is in the $200 category as nice as the britax are! Glad I don't have to make those decision anymore.

TJ

You can get them from the car rental company, but you might end up spending as much as you would buying a new seat. I'd take my own so my child was comfortable in her seat. You can check it in with your luggage rather than using it on the plane.

We're letting our kids sit with the seat belt in the airplane and we're checking their booster seats at the airport. I heard they will box them for you. That way we won't have to depend on the rental company for them.

We're still on the fence about bringing our carseats for our 3 and 4 year old.... DH doesn't want to, and I'm leaning to bringing them.

Geesh, I've only got a few days to decide. Keep posting everyone! I think we have a Century Bravdaa too.

Decisions, Decisions!

If you want your carseat boxed, you'll have to do that yourself. Airlines don't provide boxes. They should be able to tape a box you provide, though. What we did with car seats was put them in tubs that we sent down the bag belt. If you don't mind carrying it to the gate, you can gate check it.

You are charged extra for carseats with many rentals. We bring our carseat (booster) for our 6 year old, but check it. That way we have it for the car.

While original posters child is thin (under 40 pounds), the child is tall (48"). As my child is tall too, I would definitely recommend against use of car seat on plane. You would find your child too cramped with the seat.

Don't use the car seats at the car rental place---I brought my own for my 5 1/2 year old. As we left the car rental ramp, I saw a bunch of sorry looking car seats lines up by the car rental booth. I certainly hope those were just left by people not wanting to haul around an old car seat anymore. But I would'nt take that chance!!! Yuck!!!!

I'm having this car seat dilema, with no time to spare. "To bring or not to bring.. " then I read post from IowaGirl. Not to be gross or anything, but last week my poor girl well, hurled on the way home and IN HER CAR SEAT.

We took it all apart, and cleaned it clean as a whistle. I'm then thinking, how much would someone at a car rental place clean a carseat? My husband said they prob. wash them down a bit, then spray them down because they need to get that car seat out again for the next family.

So.,, I'm more leaning to bringing our own carseats. Yeah it will be a pain to lug all this, but heck, that is what it is like with kids. Like we won't already be lugging a lot anyway (diapers, backpacks etc).

I think they will be comfortable and with any luck even doze off on the plane.

We stopped bringing the car seats onboard the planes after the kids reached 4 years old (Basically took it to keep them restrained and not climbing all over the place) Now we just check in the seat as luggage (We have plenty of spares now that the older child doesnt fit in them anymore.

1 - The Car Rental charges for thier seats is a waste of money IMHO.

2 - You know your car seat a lot better than the one sitting on the curb waiting to be thrown in your rental car. Water, Vomit, Acidic Drinks, Sunlight, So on and so on - will deteriorate the integrity of the seat itself if not properly cleaned or maintained - I would not like to think if the rental companies even have any worthy policy or standard of inspecting and cleaning their seats.

3- I am a strong supporter of children staying in 5 point harness booster seats as long as practical in any vehicle sold today - IT IS UNDENIABLY SAFER FOR THEM IN AN ACCIDENT - all the money in the world would never make me feel better if I willingly knew I put my childs health beneath my inconvienence of 1 more piece of luggage.

Whata drag this is! Okay, so I've decided dd doesn't need one on the plane, but now I need to decide if we bring hers or not for the rental car. I'm totally grossed out by the comments about the rental seats!! LOL!!

Thanks for the input!

Michelle

Another unpopular option on this board is not using a car seat at all on vacation when your child is over 4 years old.

Legally, your child does not need one in Florida at her age.

ALL CHILDREN 5 YEARS OLD OR YOUNGER MUST USE A RESTRAINT DEVICE WHEN RIDING IN A MOTOR VEHICLE.
The law requires every driver to secure children five years of age or younger in child restraint devices riding in a passenger car, van, or pick-up truck, regardless of whether the vehicle is registered in this state. Infant carriers or children's car seats must be used for children three years old and younger. Children's car seats or safety belts may be used for four and five-year-olds.

IMHO, I would either bring one and check it with my luggage and use it in the car or not bring one at all. I would NOT use the rental company's car seats for various reasons.

One more option, buy a cheap one when you are down there at a Walmart and it will probably be the same or less than the $5 a day the rental companies charge.

Good luck!

We're going to Disney in 2 days and this topic has bummed me out the last few days.

For our 4 year old, we were planning on just using a seat belt adjuster made by Safety 1st. with no booster. Not sure if this is a safety belt or not....I'm thinking not.....anyone have an opinion?

We have 3 little ones and already are luggin 1 car seat for the 18 mo old......

My sister in law had the same dilemma with her 5yr. old Abby. She finally decided to bring the booster seat because Abby had never ridden in a car without one and she didn't feel that a vacation with a different car was a good time to start. So, she ended up checking her booster. BUT she found a cool nylon/canvas bag that is specially shaped for the bigger car seat or booster with a zipper that you could put a little lock on. It even had two handles so that you could carry it in a way that was comfortable. I will be be getting one of them myself this weekend for our trip in Nov/Dec. She ordered hers from the catologe called "One step ahead", but I have seen them in Babys R Us. So, I will start with Babys R Us first and if no luck, order online with One step ahead. I hope this helps.
Have a great trip!!!!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Michelle

If you have only 1 car seat to worry about I would just bring it but check the seat in with your luggage. The airline will provide you with a big clear plastic bag to put it in. Make sure the seat is clearly identified with your name and maybe something that will make it stand out against the others because most likely there will be car seats at the baggage claim exactly like yours.

The VWL five,

It was definitely a hassle and dh was totally stressed having to deal with 2 strollers & 2 car seats, luggage, back packs... Fortunately, you only have to deal with this problem at the airport. And once all the bags and seats were checked in it was soooooo much better. I just tried to keep the kids away from dh so he could handle it all without the added aggravation of dealing with an excited 3yr.old and 1 1/2 yr old too. So really, once our car seats were in the rental, we knew it was worth the short (but at the time seemingly endless) hassle.

Enjoy your trip!!!!

But...I have a 2 year old, who will have her seat, too (on the plane for sure). Plus, I have a 7 year old ds, who I'd like to have a booster seat in FL, too.

I wonder if boosters are less gross than regular car seats??? What do you all think?

Michelle

I mean car rental place boosters (might they be less gross than the smaller kid kind of seat?).

M

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter