The Future of the Rumors and News Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, at least they explained it was their "off topic guidelines" that drove the decisions. I'm sure it has nothing to do with throwing a tantrum because your best mod stepped down.

"Best mod"? I respectfully disagree with you. I've been here for 8 years and I've only ever had problems on this forum with that moderator. And since it's against the rules to criticize a moderator I can't give details.

Last edited:
"Best mod"? I respectfully disagree with you. I've been here for 8 years and I've only ever had problems on this forum with that moderator. And since it's against the rules to criticize a moderator I can't give details.
Sounds like the person is no longer a MOD. So....

Sounds like the person is no longer a MOD. So....
It's nothing exciting. We just had a difference of opinion on what belongs in the "Rumors and News" forum. I took it to mean "rumors" are fair game. He believed there had to be "proof' of my rumors. So sometimes he'd delete my posts or entire threads I'd create because Disney had not confirmed my story as true. "But that's because it's a rumor, if Disney confirmed this it would be news and not rumor" I'd say.

Two examples of things he didn't like but let me keep up are charging for FP+ and the boycott of Solo. My contact within Disney finance told me that Disney's 10 year long range financial plan had revenue for FP+ in years 9 and 10. So I posted that on here. I also posted that there would be a boycott of Solo and he originally took it down because there was no "proof" of a Solo boycott because Disney never confirmed that there was a boycott. And I said "Why would Disney confirm that people are boycotting their product". Eventually he relented and let me repost it. Other things he refused to let me post because I had no proof. For example I posted that Billy Dee Williams was going to be in Episode 9 in April 2018 and that was taken down because Disney had not confirmed it.

So I guess it depends on your point of view: is this a forum only for facts or is this a forum for facts but also for speculation without any evidence? He thought it was only for facts.

I can imagine that being a moderator on a message board can be a trying task.....especially so when you're not being paid. I don't think there's some big conspiracy around the change. I can see why someone may want to step down after doing this for a while. It's bad to start rumors without any actual knowledge of what happened behind the scenes, if anything.
Yeah, why anyone would want to do this crap for free is beyond me? It's a lot.

It's nothing exciting. We just had a difference of opinion on what belongs in the "Rumors and News" forum. I took it to mean "rumors" are fair game. He believed there had to be "proof' of my rumors. So sometimes he'd delete my posts or entire threads I'd create because Disney had not confirmed my story as true. "But that's because it's a rumor, if Disney confirmed this it would be news and not rumor" I'd say.

Two examples of things he didn't like but let me keep up are charging for FP+ and the boycott of Solo. My contact within Disney finance told me that Disney's 10 year long range financial plan had revenue for FP+ in years 9 and 10. So I posted that on here. I also posted that there would be a boycott of Solo and he originally took it down because there was no "proof" of a Solo boycott because Disney never confirmed that there was a boycott. And I said "Why would Disney confirm that people are boycotting their product". Eventually he relented and let me repost it. Other things he refused to let me post because I had no proof. For example I posted that Billy Dee Williams was going to be in Episode 9 in April 2018 and that was taken down because Disney had not confirmed it.

So I guess it depends on your point of view: is this a forum only for facts or is this a forum for facts but also for speculation without any evidence? He thought it was only for facts.
I think the definition of rumor might need to be looked up. Hah. Thanks for your thoughts.

The Solo one I agree with. There was never any proof of a boycott. People didn't go to see it because they didn't like the new trilogy films, that's not a boycott. I'd rather not see this board get full of baseless speculation and I'd like to see it based in some sort of fact.

I'd rather not see this board get full of baseless speculation and I'd like to see it based in some sort of fact.

Yep. There are plenty of rumor mills elsewhere where baseless speculation is made freely. And quite frankly, those places are a mess.

I think this board was moderated fairly and because most of the rumors discussed were grounded in some sort of fact or reality, I appreciated it as a reliable place to discuss or read about credible rumors.

Yep. There are plenty of rumor mills elsewhere where baseless speculation is made freely. And quite frankly, those places are a mess.

I think this board was moderated fairly and because most of the rumors discussed were grounded in some sort of fact or reality, I appreciated it as a reliable place to discuss or read about credible rumors.

This is the key. We should strive for credible rumors from proven sources. Bus drivers and moms and phone CMs don't count.

I just don't get why people couldn't toss in "-RUMOR-" before their post. Then you could've quickly scrolled down and read the things you wanted, or at the very least knew what was news or not.
The issue is that not all rumors are created equal. There's a difference between "My mom heard from a bus driver....." type rumors and "BlogMickey is reporting......"

The issue is that not all rumors are created equal. There's a difference between "My mom heard from a bus driver....." type rumors and "BlogMickey is reporting......"

Right. Something like the animatronics in 3 cabdelleros and the report on blogmickey that a castmember said they shared a base and that is why all were removed and expected them back in the spring. That isn't something disney is going to confirm in a press release so is technically a rumor but it is a pretty solid rumor.

"I was wanting to book a trip with my travel agent for Jul but want fireworks and they confirmed to me that fireworks would absolutely be back in July so I went and booked" is shaky shaky at best.

Definitely Sven's troll family. I mean they have their ears literally to the ground!

:jester: I've personally found the popcorn vendors to be *announcer voice* Oracles... of the... Future. */av* I think staring into the equivalent of Madame Liotta's popping basket gives them supermagical foresight. Or maybe the little mascot on each wagon secretly shares info through a series of Morse Code popping. :jester:

Was going to convey the same point... the rules are in place to make certain that rumors were coming from reputable sources, and with all due respect to posters here who might have good info, it's hard to confirm that it's coming from a legit source. If it IS legit, then it's a good bet that a trusted source will eventually talk about it. So I think mods would prefer to be safe than sorry, especially when things can spin out of control quickly. There's a good reason why "I heard from a bus driver" is a long running joke here.

Was going to convey the same point... the rules are in place to make certain that rumors were coming from reputable sources, and with all due respect to posters here who might have good info, it's hard to confirm that it's coming from a legit source. If it IS legit, then it's a good bet that a trusted source will eventually talk about it. So I think mods would prefer to be safe than sorry, especially when things can spin out of control quickly. There's a good reason why "I heard from a bus driver" is a long running joke here.

If we wait until everything is verified by Disney we will have nothing to talk about! 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter