The Great Mouse Detective

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I wondered what made Disney decide to do The Great Mouse Detective? I had never even heard of it until I heard the song The World's Greatest Criminal Mind in the Be Our Guest Sing-Along Songs video and I thought the song was clever. I then saw The Great Mouse Detective and thought it was cool and I often wondered why this film was the weakest link of Disney films. In my mind the only reason this film got talked about was because Vincent Price did Ratigan's voice and it was his final film. But I think had Disney promoted it more The Great Mouse Detective would've been a bigger hit

It was produced because someone had the idea and after the Black Cauldron Disney decided to go in this direction, it followed the Rescuers by having mice be part of a bigger story.

The movie was a success, it is not considered a weak link. It got good reviews and made a little profit. It might not have been a big hit, but it did reasonably well.

It has decent storytelling, good animation, fun and interesting characters. And that is basically all you need. Price as the voice actor for the villain was a bonus, but not the main reason people went to watch it.

Also, it was not Price' final project. He did a few more films and other productions after Great Mouse Detective.

Promotion in the mid 80s was very different feom how they do it now.

When I saw The Great Mouse Detective I thought Olivia and her father had a cute bond and I thought Olivia was a brave little mouse who wanted very much to help save her father. The way they made The Great Mouse Detective was very impressive and having singer Melissa Manchester perform in the film was a marvelous treat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter