we just booked our stay at disneyworld in a deluxe hotel for a week
late september 2011

now its time to lose some weight and save some money to pay for the trip

also doing allure of the seas
universal
kennedy
seaworld

1 month in total :cool1:

WOW that is soooo exciting. I hope to make my booking in the next month or so. :yay:

Happy planning :surfweb:

jen

How exciting!!! A whole month away from work...I can only dream of that right now! I'll have to just enjoy my 2 weeks off in Jan!

How exciting! Happy planning - I love the planning part!! I guess we all do, really!! Waiting to hear your plans. :woohoo: popcorn::

Congratulations its a great feel when the trip is booked how fun planning.

I have been back for two months and I want to go back

Happy Fingers, all going well, we will be checking into POR on 29 September 2011 so will be at WDW the same time as you. Our WDW stay is all booked and so is our Freedom of the Seas cruise - just waiting for the flights to come online and then we'll know whether it's all go!

You need to get yourself a ticker :cool1:

little bit unsure about the whole planning thing :surfweb:

the plan thus far is to go to a different park each day
we would like to do carracter breakfast for the kids

as for booking at resturants so we can be sure of a seat
i think if the place is full we will just go elsewhere
we have never been there so have no idea what resturants we will want to eat at anyway

we have paid in full already so as to take advantage of the dollar

cant wait to go

would love to know how to add one of those countdown timers to my sig line if anyone knows how its done ?

mum you will miss us by a week, we will be at universal when you are there :dance3:

Hey HappyFingers - Happy Planning! Speaking for myself, I am a complete OCD when it comes to planning; so the DisBoard has been a place where I feel comfortable because I am surrounded by my own species! :rotfl2:

In regards to tickers, there are a number of sites you can go to for a countdown ticker. (And apologies if this ends up being a War and Peace; but I did acknowledge that I am OCD).

The easiest site to go to is the DisBoard. At the top of the page, you will see the forum pathway. There are two horizontal bars - a dark blue and a light blue.
The dark blue bar contains a link that says Tickers. It is located under the Facebook branding!! If you click through to the link, just follow the instructions.

The alternative way is if you see someone else with a ticker that you like. Most of the tickers will have the website on the bottom lefthand corner of the ticker. But the easiest way is to double click on that ticker. It will take you through to the source site.
Again, follow the instructions.

The instructions pretty much contain 3 steps:
1. Pick your background ticker
2. Select your countdown icon
3. Generate your ticker code (in this case a forum BB code).

You need to cut and paste that entire ticker code into your signature; which is found in your User Control Panel.

In the dark blue bar, the first link there is User CP. Click on it and you'll find yourself in ...well.... your Dis Self!

On the Left Hand side, there are a number of links. Under Setting and Options, you'll find the Edit Signature link.

Click through to the entry page and in the box, enter your signature details. You just need to cut and paste the entire BB forum code in here. The code will look something like this:
I have removed the open and close square brackets and substituted the code with parantheses so that you can see what it looks like.

(url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/)(img)(url)http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/tickers/nivjjmfiznu1xgg2.png(/img)(/url(/url))

I would recommend that you research the table service restaurants. With the Dining Plans being so popular (and offered for free), you may find that all popular restaurants may be full or you may not be able to get a seat for an hour. Some of the other Aussie Dis-ers may disagree with this viewpoint, but it is worth checking out the menus, working out where you think you might like to eat and making some ADRs; if you wish to have Table Service. Likewise with character dining.

Your alternative to Table Service may well be eating Counter Service or Quick Service; or eating much later or earlier than you would normally do so.

Good luck with your planning!

Congratulations on making your booking. :banana:

I agree with PrincessIn Oz and recommend making some advanced dining reservations (ADRs). Bookings can be made online 180 days out, when we went it was 90 days, this was easier because the park hours were out. We tried to tie our ADR's around the park we were visiting for the day (we didn't park hop). We booked at restuarants around our hotel, for shorter park days.

The popular character meals would most likely require a booking, except for Cape May at the beach club. We did book at couple of meals with the concierge and Cape May was offered each time, but the most popular ones need booking. We also did the Fantasmic dining package at Mama Melrose as well as Cinderellas Royal Table (CRT) for breakfast.

Obviously counter service doesn't need it, and some of the hotels have good counterservice menus. We loved Wolfgang Puck Express which was a counter service and the food was great!

Happy Planning :surfweb:

How exciting - I get excited again and again each time we book or pay for something towards our trip. I am having a whole month of work too and can't wait!!!! :goodvibes

Congratulations its a great feel when the trip is booked how fun planning.

I have been back for two months and I want to go back

I'm with you, we've been back nearly 3 months and I'm so ready to go back!

Congrats on booking Happy Fingers!

I agree that you should at least make a couple of ADRs. You don't have to show up if you don't want to, but at least you'll have the option if you pre-plan.

Congratulations! What a great itinerary. I'd LOVE to go on a cruise on either the Oasis or Allure of the Seas so i'm even more jealous!

And you can always count on PrincessInOz for a complete and detailed answer to any question!

I'll ditto everyone's comments about ADRs. We've actually got more bookings than credits at the moment. Got to cull... So hard!!!!

little bit unsure about the whole planning thing :surfweb:

the plan thus far is to go to a different park each day
we would like to do carracter breakfast for the kids

as for booking at resturants so we can be sure of a seat
i think if the place is full we will just go elsewhere
we have never been there so have no idea what resturants we will want to eat at anyway

we have paid in full already so as to take advantage of the dollar

cant wait to go

would love to know how to add one of those countdown timers to my sig line if anyone knows how its done ?

mum you will miss us by a week, we will be at universal when you are there :dance3:

Congratulations on your trip, how exciting. We are just back from a month trip (1 week in NY and 3 weeks at WDW).

Like the others have mentioned, if you want to eat at the character or table service restaurants then you should really make ADR's. I know it's very hard to understand never having been before (or even if you have been 10 years ago, how it's changed when it comes to getting in to restaurants). Most (not all) table service restaurants it will be almost impossible to get into with out a reservation. The reservations also are not really reservations, they are just a priority seating, and mean that they will accept you for a table. You will still often wait for a table even with an ADR, but it just means that they will get you a table. Sometimes we had short waits, sometimes we had long waits. 50's Prime Time Cafe (twice) we waited a long time. First was about 45 minutes and the second time was about half an hour, that was with a booking, they were not taking walk up's at all. You have quite a while yet, so it would be good to have a look at peoples reviews, also there are menus available on WDW's site, allears.net and maybe here so that you can see if there is anything that you and your family may like. We found this time that even if we had a reservation (ADR) and we were late (and we had our confirmation number), then they still seated us as a priority seating. One morning at Cape May's we were an hour late and they were turning walk up's away but they took us and we were seated in about 10 minutes which was great.

Enjoy the planning, it is almost as fun as the trip. :wizard:

Just had a thought - you'll definitely need your reservations as you are there in Free Dining. Did you have the Free Dining added to your package - booking through Disney Travel you needed to use the code. If not, give them a call and ask to have it added.

i booked it all myself through the disney website

so no freebies :confused3

not sure about the whole meal credits thing
not sure if you save money doing that or not ??????

its like 70 bucks a day yeh ?

what happens if we dont want to have a sit down meal each night ?

sometimes a simple hot dog and chips may suffice after a long day walking around

i saw on another thread someone had pre ordered a chocolate slipper which looked incredible and yummy (at the palace i think)
sorry im not up to date with all the adr hrt word shortcuts :confused3

they should write a code so that everytime someone uses one of those shortcuts it automatically displays the full words
it can be a little daunting :idea:

dont get me wrong if you all think the credits is the cheapest way to do it ill have a real good look at it popcorn::

thanks in advance for all the help

i booked it all myself through the disney website

so no freebies :confused3

not sure about the whole meal credits thing
not sure if you save money doing that or not ??????

its like 70 bucks a day yeh ?

what happens if we dont want to have a sit down meal each night ?

sometimes a simple hot dog and chips may suffice after a long day walking around

i saw on another thread someone had pre ordered a chocolate slipper which looked incredible and yummy (at the palace i think)
sorry im not up to date with all the adr hrt word shortcuts :confused3

they should write a code so that everytime someone uses one of those shortcuts it automatically displays the full words
it can be a little daunting :idea:

dont get me wrong if you all think the credits is the cheapest way to do it ill have a real good look at it popcorn::

thanks in advance for all the help

ADR stands for Advanced Dining Reservation. You will learn the shortcut words as you go along and always ask if you are not sure :goodvibes I knew when I first visited the boards, sometimes I would try to work out the shortcut but really had no idea what they were talking about, so just asked and somebody explained it for me :thumbsup2 So never be afraid to ask.

Now even if you book direct with Disney they do offer some amazing discounts that you can have applied to your booking. It is a matter of keeping an eye on the discounts part of this board (I think it's a subheading under the accommodation board in the main headings page).

The difference with booking yourself or through a travel agent (shortcut TA) in the USA is the TA will apply the specials for you when they come out. As you booked yourself, over the next 10 to 11 months, keep an eye out for the specials for the times that you are there. You then call Disney and have the special applied to your booking.

Now I know you have said that you have already paid in advance. This does not matter and if you have a package booking (which is with tickets, accommodation and maybe dining) then you can make the changes up to 45 days before you arrive. If you have a room only booking (just hotel room, no tickets) then you can make changes up to 5 days before you go. Even though you have already paid, you can add discounts that may come out and they will simply refund your credit card.

Now we were at WDW (Walt Disney World) for 22 nights, staying at AKL (Animal Kingdom Lodge) for 8 nights, BC for 4 nights (Beach Club Resort) and YC (Yacht Club resort) for 10 nights. We booked and paid long in advance. When specials came out for the september part of our booking, there was a 40% off special or free dining. We chose 40% off, this saved $1000's of $'s and this was refunded to my credit card. A few weeks before we left, a 42% offer was released and I was able to have that applied to my 10 night YC booking that I had already paid for. Because of the discount, I changed from a standard view room to a water view room (much better view, more expensive room) but because of the discount I received over $1000 refund! I was in a better room at a cheaper price!

So just because you have booked and paid, at any time up to 45 days (or 5 days for a room only booking) you can call Disney and make changes, add discounts or specials to your booking that Disney release.

I am not sure what you have booked now. Have you booked with some sort of special or have you booked and paid full price? If you have booked and paid full price then if free dining is released next year for September before you go, then you will still be paying the same price as you are now, only on top of that you will get a table service meal (TS), a counter service meal (CS) and a snack for everybody in your group for each night you stay. So yes you would be saving as if you didn't have that, you would be paying for your food. The value of the regular dining play is about $47 per adult per night, so if you add that up for each of the people in your group, you could save $100's of $'s a night.

Disney releases the discounts at different times, so until they are released for the time of year you are going you will not exactly know what they are. But if they offer a discount, it's worth applying it to your booking, better the money in your pocket than in theirs :thumbsup2

The sit down meal that is offered on the dining plan (TS meal) can be used at breakfast, lunch or dinner as with the CS (counter service, fast food type meal) credit, it can be used when ever you wish. Also the credits can be used whenever you want over your stay. So just say you are two adults staying for 7 nights on the regular dining plan. You will get 14 TS credits, 14 CS credits and 14 snack credits, those credits can be used any way you like over the 7 nights. So you can use three TS credits in one day if you like and not use any on one day, or use all of your snack credits in one go or spread them out any way you like.

There are many options and it's all about seeing which option is best for your family. We didn't use the dining plan as it didn't suit us this trip, we took the 40 to 42% discount at our resorts. That way we could eat at any TS or CS restaurants or room service that we chose (although we did still have TS bookings for most meals and cancelled what we didn't want when we were there, as we know that it's near impossible to get a table). But it really is different for every family as to which special Disney offers is the better deal. Until the Sept deals are released you won't know which is best for you, but you can start doing some preplanning so when they are released you know which to pounce on. And you do need to pounce as the room discounts go quickly, like in a day or two.

Enjoy your planning. Everybody here is so friendly and lovely and always here and happy to help out with any questions :wizard:

wow thanks heaps thats a lot of stuff
we have purchase accom (boardwalk) and magic your way package and we paid full price

ok so ill have to keep an eye on the discounts section

I do have a few newbie questions if anyone can help me with them :thumbsup2

when we get off the ship it will be a sunday morning at around 9am

the plan was/is to then hire a car somewhere (at fort lauderdale)
and drive up to disneyworld in time for check in (we are guessing 2 to 3 hrs drive ??) but really we dont have a clue :lmao:

dont really know what order we will be doing things after that, all i know is my wife wants to take the kids for a character breakfast

other foods we enjoy are mexican, quality burgers, indian, italian and of course chocolate

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
after we finish at disneyworld we are then going to universal where we have booked at one of the 4 star hotels that are onsite

how are we gonna get from disneyworld to universal ?
as of yet, no idea, still trying to figure it out :surfweb:

travel from universal to seaworld, once again, no idea ?, we will prolly just stay local somewhere near seaworld.

its a huge trip and the value of the dollar is certainly helping :woohoo:

we are not rich and have been saving for ages to do it and do it in style :cool2:

from what i have read, everyone seems to fly to LA then across to florida (miami in our case as Kennedy is first followed by the ship)

we are budgeting about 15K spending money and will prolly post some stuff home so we dont get caught overweight at the airport

all help and advice appreciated :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter