The hunt for a Covid 19 3rd Booster shot

Is anyone else that already has a mixed dose AZ-Pfizer being told they are being given Moderna now? I’m not up for more mix & match and am regretting not getting a booster in Florida…

Try pharmacies.

Our local Loblaws only has Pfizer. OTOH, they also are fully booked with a wait list into January. YMMV.

SW

I got it at the Halton vaccine site. She said anyone that was 'healthy' and in the 18-69 range got the half dose. She said the booster dose was half a dose, which was 50 (or maybe she said .5) and that I was getting half that dose and she said .25 or 25, because I was healthy. So were all the people there in that range.

Double checking the paperwork on my vaccine passport, the dosage isn't recorded.

Thanks for the links, Starwind.

That's what I got. I was told that Ontario has a shortage of Pfizer, so it's being saved for the kids. I have now had all three.

Happy to provide the info.

It sounds like that person or site is misinterpreting the guidance and giving wrong info and possibly the wrong dose. Hopefully that gets corrected ASAP and if wrong doses were given they fix it.

At lest the vaccine cert won't be an issue.

FYI, for those wondering about boosters eventually being required for travel: the EU seems to be one of the ones to start the processes for that, setting an expiry date of 270 days after the primary dose series for vaccine certificates for travel within the EU. See https://www.politico.eu/article/com...ion-for-vaccine-certificates-from-february-1/ There are a handful of other countries that have also set expiry dates. An issue to watch for anyone planning travel outside the country.

SW

The Ontario system is broken. We can’t use the provincial system either so it’s refresh refresh refresh on the Walmart/Costco site where we can definitely get Pfizer.

They actually refused us Moderna at the PHU site for dose #2 (I knew there would be Pfizer shortages going forward - there was one in June when we got dose 2). “You received AZ - all AZ first dose recipients are receiving Pfizer as 2nd dose”. Fast forward 6 months… 🙄
Just say you live somewhere else . (Need the correct postal code when signing in but when asking for location try different place until you find a place that places that use the Ontario booking site)

Just say you live somewhere else . (Need the correct postal code when signing in but when asking for location try different place until you find a place that places that use the Ontario booking site)
I never thought of that, but would have to travel quite far to find a region using the provincial system.

I’m standing and waiting for my booster at Costco . Two people just walked in and got spots from people not showing up today . So it’s worth checking if you are at a Costco or other pharmacy to see if they have no show appointments

DH and I each had appointments on Wed. Mine was in Burlington, his was in Milton (Ontario). We both were given Moderna. Apparently, there's a province-wide shortage of Pfizer so they're saving them for the kids.

Here's the kicker, my Moderna booster is a half dose. But the approved "whole dose" is the 50mg, only half a full dose of Moderna in the US. So my booster was 25mg of Moderna and that's supposed to be fine. If its fine, why did they head doctor for Moderna go on CNN last night to say that he thought the half dose, meaning 50mg was okay, although a full dose booster would be better.

What does that say for what I was given? It feels like I got a placebo and I'm supposed to ward off Covid with mental capacity.

I got my booster here in BC 2 days ago. I was double vaxxed with AZ and was given Moderna for my 3rd. I noticed when the nurse was filling in some info on her computer that she put 25 as the dose so maybe that is the standard for Moderna booster?

Just had my booster of Pfizer at a local Rexall drugstore this morning. They actually called me yesterday to move up my appointment to this morning because more convenient for them to fill in appointment gaps. Just happy to have it and remembered a pharmacist telling me a few weeks ago to take the first Pfizer appointment I can because they knew it would be in short supply. The Rexall pharmacist told me their store still had lots of Pfizer and it would expire in a few weeks so they want to use it up. I also had the AZ then Pfizer mixed vax so really wanted Pfizer again and had no interest in the 'triple crown' or sampler including Moderna. I had no argument or push back from this pharmacist and no mention of saving it for those under 30 yrs. If anyone is in central/eastern Ontario and wants the contact info for this Rexall pharmacy, then pm me as happy to give you the contact info. They are only taking by appointment only bookings through the Ontario vaccine website and I didn't notice any drops in or hopefuls waiting for a no show opening. Wishing everyone good luck and sending positive support for those still looking for their booster.

I think there may be confusion on the Moderna dosage for booster. The booster dose is .25 mL, which is 50 mcg. So if you saw "25" it is probably in reference to .25 mL, not 25 mcg.

https://modernacovid19global.com/ca/storage-handling-dosage-admin.pdf
A booster dose of 0.25 mL (50 mcg) may be administered intramuscularly at least 6 months after completion of the primary series in individuals 18 years of age or older.

That would explain a lot. To a lay mind, it's confusing. So we're okay, then? We're fully 'boosted'? The same as other countries (to the south of us, lol)?

Well considering the vaccine passport only states what you got and not the amount, it was probably a moot point anyway. Also I haven't read anywhere that is scrutinizing (ie denying service or whatnot) based on the volume of the dosages

Well booster appointments are finally opening here in BC for everyone 18+ who is now 6 months past their 2nd shot. DH got an invite today along with a friend of mine. However I did NOT get an invite (2nd shot was the same day as dh) and the husband of my friend did not. Texted other friends and it seems to be a trend, one spouse gets the invite while the other is still waiting 🤦 Hopefully mine comes in the next couple of days. Appts seem hard to get though. DH does not go til January 22 and my one friend doesn't go til January 26! But it depends where you live, a friend of mine in the interior could get her booster as soon as Tuesday.

Ontario GTA today until six -

Humber River Hospital has a clinic at 401/Weston Road. No lines at all. They are reaching out for people.

_______

Also, my sister's GP has let her know that next week the Ontario government is going to get even more strict with the age cut-off for Pfizer, with their focus on saving it for the youngins'. She needed Pfizer for her third shot due to reaction to Moderna on her second.

I wonder if they will say that not even a pharmacist can make a case-by-case call on the issue.

Posting in case anyone wants to search for an appointment this week, given that news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter