The Official December 2009 Car Rental Thread

mdurette

DIS Veteran
I have searched the forum to see if this has been started yet. I can only find people in shock over the prices to rent. So...here it is. If anyone finds a good rate - please post it!

Feel free to subscribe!!!

I've been spending the last couple hours researching. Here is the best I found (for a company within MCO).

Thrifty with code from Orlando MagicCard. You can get one for free at www.orlandoinfo.com. Corp Code is 004m001010.

For 10 days - midsize - $285.69

NOTE: The Orlando MagicCard promotion says free additional driver - but I don't see on my ressie so can't confirm.

I know I can't be the only one searching for December car rates? Anyone else out there???

Thanks for the thread! I know it will help someone :). The rate you get is really dependent on when you go and a LOT of specials are blacked out for Christmas and New Years. Many codes are for a percentage off and they don't work well when the "rack rate" for a car rental is $300 or more per week!

My dates are the worst of the worst and I will be paying $390 for a Compact for 15 days through Avis. I am using AWD Number K199060 (from Mousesavers) and Coupon muwa003 from Avis itself which is for $35 off. I think the black-out date for the coupon starts on 12/20.

Only specific car classes are available with the K199060 code. Here are the weekly base rates:

Subcompact
Chevrolet Aveo or similar
131.00 USD

Compact
Chevrolet Cobalt or similar
141.00 USD

Intermediate
Pontiac G6 or similar
164.00 USD

Standard Size
Ford Fusion or similar
169.00 USD

Full Size
Chevrolet Impala or similar
187.00 USD

Premium
Buick Lucerne or similar
219.00 USD

Luxury

Cadillac DTS or similar
308.00 USD

Convertible
Convertible or similar
260.00 USD

Standard SUV

Chevrolet Trailblazer or si...
260.00 USD

Also, for early December rentals, try Thrifty with code 004m001010 from the Orlando MagicCard. It gives $125 weekly base rate for a Compact. If you are staying a "short week" of 5-6 days you can also try Thrifty's "Hot Deals" which will give you a $133 Compact base rate for 5 or 6 days.

I know I can't be the only one searching for December car rates? Anyone else out there???

I'm going Dec 5 to 11 but it's far too early to look for a reasonable rate. I've been renting cars at MCO for over 10 years and there are never good rates this far out. I usually don't start looking until 2 or 3 months out. On my June trip, it was over $300 for 8 days with National, it dropped 2 weeks before to $150 incl tax.

I'm going Dec 5 to 11 but it's far too early to look for a reasonable rate. I've been renting cars at MCO for over 10 years and there are never good rates this far out. I usually don't start looking until 2 or 3 months out. On my June trip, it was over $300 for 8 days with National, it dropped 2 weeks before to $150 incl tax.
It is never, ever "too early" to book for late December. Many times I book in January when the rates come out before the car rental companies jack up the rates to "holiday pricing". I make a guess about our dates and make a couple of different reservations.

In addition, this year is so much worse for car rentals that previous years. Ask all the people who waited until 2-3 months out for August and September. They are not getting the same rates they saw months ago that they passed up on because they thought rates would go down. My advise is to book the best rate you can NOW and then cancel it if something better comes along.

We are going for 9 days and I have found the best rates are through BJ's wholesales club. I have tried every website and every code. I have also found that it is cheaper...much cheaper to go through Alamo at the CCC then to get the car at MCO. We arrive late Saturday night. To get our car at MCO it was 827 for a full size car. We are getting our car at the CCC on Sunday at noon and returning it to the airport and it was 327. I hope this helps!

I agree that it is never too early to search. Alamo ran a $199 a week minivan deal in April. I booked my 11/27-12/6 rental at that rate - with my $25 Costco coupon the total with tax it comes to just over $300 for the 9 days. I haven't seen anything close to that rate since. Sorry, the deal is no longer being offered so I don't have any codes to share. Just wanted to second the opinion that it's never to early to book if you see a good deal.

IMO - with the way rental rates have been lately - I am going to tie something in now that doesn't make me choke. Then, keep an eye out for rates that will come out in the future. Do I plan to find something better - heck yes - but just in case I don't, I have myself covered.

If you see a rate you are willing to pay, then I agree to book it. I just checked my corporate rate, it's $215 incl tax with National including the $20 off coupon. That's a locked in contract rate so I didn't book it. I don't know if I would pay that much, might go without. Using the Emerald Club code that I paid $150 last month for 8 days is now $300 for 6 days in early December. That's crazy, the last time I went in early December (2007) I paid around $100.

We are renting out of RSW (FL Southwest Regional Airport) from 12/26 through 1/2/10...one of the most expensive weeks to rent for the entire year. The prices were UNREAL.
I found the following codes for Budget...you need to pay with a Discover card. The offer code (BCD) is S232000 and the coupon number is UUCZ012.
For pick up at MCO, the base rate ranges from $240 for an economy/compact to $252 for an intermediate.

Good luck!!!

I just wanted to pop in and share a good rate that I found for late December with National. I checked rates by logging into my Emerald Club account and used the standard Emerald Club Contract ID (5007125) and I got a pretty good rate! I used it with the $20 off coupon (ND2165OJK) available on National's website.

There are some restrictions. First of all it's only for pick up dates between and 12/17-12/21. Secondly, it appears to be good at the NON-Airport locations. It worked for both the Car Care Center and the Dolphin.

Base Rates are:
Economy: $138 (can't use coupon)
Compact: $151 (can use coupon)
Midsize: $157 (can use coupon)

I booked a Midsize and because I am an Executive level I get a free upgrade to a Full Size car for only $179 for the week including all taxes and fees!

Yep! I panicked last nite also when I first saw rates. So far, I booked AVIS Intermediate using AWD06000 (40% off directly thru AVIS online offer) & I used a Mousesaver cpn code for a free day (but may change that to the $35 off). Our rate for 8 days late Oct-early Nov is $193 (before all those horrible taxes/fees). But our pick-up/drop-off is Tampa (got a decent airfare PHL-TPA...too late booking for Orlando :headache:)
btw...this rate is $10 lower than Int rate using K199060 but only for Int. class...sub-compact & compact are LOWER using K199060 !
Go figure!:confused3

thanks again for all the GREAT help I always find here:flower3:

Also, for early December rentals, try Thrifty with code 004m001010 from the Orlando MagicCard. It gives $125 weekly base rate for a Compact. If you are staying a "short week" of 5-6 days you can also try Thrifty's "Hot Deals" which will give you a $133 Compact base rate for 5 or 6 days.

Oh my goodness, RobinB, thank you so much for posting this info! I am so grateful!!!!

I had no idea how much rental prices had increased in Orlando because we have used ME the last few years for our trips. This year we are staying Christmas week and we wanted to be in a house, so we will need a mini van. I nearly fell over when I started getting quotes for more than a $1000 to rent a van for a week!!!

Once again, thank you:)

For what size car and what dates? $300 would not be bad for a minivan for Christmas week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter