The Official DIS Oscars LIVE Watch Party Thread!!! TONITE!

Imzadi

♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!
This is the first really "normal" Oscars post pandemic.

So, of course the Oscars organizers had to be abnormal this year. :upsidedow A Crisis Team is being brought in to handle any more "Will Smith slap" type incidents or the like. :scared: This team is supposed to be able to think fast on their feet in the moment, make executive decisions, and handle any crisis that may arise.

The Red Carpet has been changed this year to a CHAMPAGNE colored carpet. The Oscars organizers said they wanted the rug to be mellow, like a beach at sunset. The priority was to get a light, “soothing” color that would not clash with the weird orange tent that will be erected over the carpet to shield attendees from the sun and potential rain as they walk in.

Hopefully the rest of the show will be normal. This is when they put on the best dresses.
Twirling.GIF
Queen.GIF
y4g_zpse5b5ed67.gif%7Eoriginal
dramaqueen.gif
queen2_zps4b425fcd.gif%7Eoriginal
Or so they think. :eek: :crazy2: :scared: :sad2:

There will be some speeches to laugh at :lmao: cry over :sad1: or be forced to sit through. :headache:
And this golden man award is handed out.
oscarib5_zpsb4649010.gif%7Eoriginal
535d3eb7.gif%7Eoriginal
hi51.gif%7Eoriginal
:crazy2: :sad2: :hyper:

The host is: Jimmy Kimmel, returning for a third time. popcorn::

Michael J. Fox. will receive the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

Everyone is invited. Newbies welcome! :welcome:
You know the drill if you've attended before. :tongue: Load up on munchies & drinks, wine & booze are welcome. :drinking1 Including the Red Carpet, it's 6-1/2 hours depending on when you tune in and how long you stay. :eek: Drop in and out at any time.

We have two Red Carpet channels this year. (ABC usually has exclusive coverage the hour before the show. At that time, E! will then show rerun footage of the dresses and the hosts just start talking amongst themselves.)

Start times:
East Coast (ET):

The Red CHAMPAGNE Carpet starts at 5:00PM - 7:00 (ET) on E!
The Red CHAMPAGNE Carpet starts at 5:30PM (ET) on ABC.
The Award Show starts at 8:00PM (ET) on ABC.

West Coast (PT):

The Red CHAMPAGNE Carpet starts at 2:00PM - 4:00 (PT) on E!
The Red CHAMPAGNE Carpet starts at 2:30PM (PT) on ABC.
The Award Show starts at 5:00PM (PT) on ABC.

This will be a NO SPELLING & GRAMMAR POLICE THREAD!

The Spelling Police will be off duty and possibly slurring their own typing by the end of the evening. Typos allowed! :woohoo: :drinking: :drinking1 And if your posts are still making sense by hour 3, you aren't sloshed enough. Or, we are as toasted as you are! :lmao:

Let's have another fun evening! party: :jumping1:

A little heads up for newbies: The Red Carpet segment goes really quickly on this thread. People are typing like crazy all at the same time, seeing different dresses.

If you post something or ask a question and it seems to get ignored, :( you are NOT being ignored. Everyone is just watching, typing & posting so quickly before the dress goes off the screen. We do most of the reading, scrolling back & posting back to each others' comments during the COMMERCIALS! :surfweb: Your posts will get a response then. :hyper2:

Once the show starts, it slows down to a more comfortable pace. Just hang in with us! It's going to be a great evening. :hyper2: :lmao: :rolleyes: :sad2: :thumbsup2

The Academy Award Nominees for 2023:
(In somewhat reverse order)

BEST PICTURE
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

BEST DIRECTOR
Ruben Östlund, Triangle of Sadness
Todd Field, Tár
Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans

BEST ACTOR
Austin Butler, Elvis
Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
Brendan Fraser, The Whale
Paul Mescal, Aftersun
Bill Nighy, Living

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, Tár
Ana de Armas, Blonde
Andrea Riseborough, To Leslie
Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans
Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin
Brian Tyree Henry, Causeway
Judd Hirsch, The Fabelmans
Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin
Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Hong Chau, The Whale
Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Todd Field, Tár
Tony Kushner & Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Ruben Östlund, Triangle of Sadness

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Edward Berger, Ian Stokell & Lesley Paterson, All Quiet on the Western Front
Rian Johnson, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Kazuo Ishiguro, Living
Ehren Kruger, Eric Warren Singer, Christopher McQuarrie, Peter Craig & Justin Marks, Top Gun: Maverick
Sarah Polley, Women Talking

BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE
All Quiet on the Western Front (Germany)
Argentina, 1985 (Argentina)
Close (Belgium)
EO (Poland)
The Quiet Girl (Ireland)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
The Sea Beast
Turning Red

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
All That Breathes
Fire of Love
A House Made of Splinters
Navalny

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Volker Bertelmann, All Quiet on the Western Front
Carter Burwell, The Banshees of Inisherin
Justin Hurwitz, Babylon
Son Lux, Everything Everywhere All at Once
John Williams, The Fabelmans

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
Ryan Coogler, Ludwig Göransson, Rihanna & Tems, “Lift Me Up,” Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Lady Gaga & BloodPop, “Hold My Hand,” Top Gun: Maverick
M.M. Keeravaani & Chandrabose, “Naatu Naatu,” RRR
Diane Warren, “Applause,” Tell It Like a Woman
Ryan Lott, David Byrne & Mitski, “This Is a Life,” Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
James Friend, All Quiet on the Western Front
Roger Deakins, Empire of Light
Darius Khondji, Bardo
Mandy Walker, Elvis
Florian Hoffmeister, Tár

BEST EDITING
Eddie Hamilton, Top Gun: Maverick
Mikkel E.G. Nielsen, The Banshees of Inisherin
Paul Rogers, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Jonathan Redmond & Matt Villa, Elvis
Monika Willi, Tár

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Christian M. Goldbeck & Ernestine Hipper, All Quiet on the Western Front
Catherine Martin, Karen Murphy & Bev Dunn, Elvis
Florencia Martin & Anthony Carlino, Babylon
Dylan Cole, Ben Procter & Vanessa Cole, Avatar: The Way of Water
Rick Carter & Karen O’Hara, The Fabelmans

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Jenny Beavan, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris
Ruth Carter, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Catherine Martin, Elvis
Mary Zophres, Babylon
Shirley Kurata, Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
The Batman
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Elvis
The Whale

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Batman
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

BEST SOUND
The Batman
Elvis

BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT
An Irish Goodbye
Ivalu
Le Pupille
Night Ride
The Red Suitcase

BEST ANIMATED SHORT
The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
The Flying Sailor
Ice Merchants
My Year of Dicks
An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT
The Elephant Whisperers
Haulout
How Do You Measure a Year?
The Martha Mitchell Effect
Stranger at the Gate

Michael J. Fox. will receive the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award
Songwriter, Diane Warren will finally receive an Honorary Award, alongside Witness and Master and Commander director Peter Weir, and Marlon Brando's A Dry White Season filmmaker Euzhan Palcy (the first Black woman to direct a film for a major Hollywood studio.)

Last edited:
I'll be there but late! I am hoping to be here by 7:30. I'll scroll here for all the champagne carpet looks first! I am 99% sure I will be home by start of show. My DD and I have seen them all. There is not one that I thought to myself 'that should win the Oscar."

I have only seen Banshees of Inisherin and TG Maverick, so I won’t know much on this year’s Oscars. That’s for Best Picture, anyway. Looking at the rest of the categories, I did see Wakanda Forever and Batman as well last year.

A champagne coloured carpet. A dark red carpet, you can usually re-use. I wonder how that'll go with this colour.

Thanks for the invite. You always throw a great party. Off to get quality finger foods for the event....

I have to ask, how many people really do care? The ratings have been plunging for a long time.

Thanks for the invite Imzadi I hope to be here for a bit it gets harder and harder for me since I work two jobs now 😞 but I always read through the thread the next day to read everyone’s thoughts on the dresses and night

I have to ask, how many people really do care? The ratings have been plunging for a long time.

I know I don't, but @Imzadi throws a great party so I usually turn on the main event. The slap heard around the world was quite exciting on the DIS. 🤣

I know I don't, but @Imzadi throws a great party so I usually turn on the main event. The slap heard around the world was quite exciting on the DIS. 🤣
It was pretty exciting in the clips played afterwards for the the folks who didn't see it live.

If we go by viewing figures, at least 15 million people cared enough last year.

7 years ago Lindsay Ellis made a video about the Oscars. She makes a few good points about how the Oscars work.
- The largest part of the Academy are actors, which doesn't help to award certain movies.
- Nowadays the best performing movies rarely get nominated anymore for best picture.
- The amount of money spent on promoting the movie among academy voters.

And I think you can also see it reflected in Rotten Tomatoes scores. It happens more and more often that the critics and the public have very different ideas about what makes a good movie.

It was a good thing we don't have to specify how long we will need a thread and then it gets shut down. :lmao: "Oh, the Oscars never go past 12:20am ET. We won't need the thread room for longer than that. I'll just mark down we'll be using it to12:30 to be safe." And then *SLAP!!!* :scared: o_O

The thread went on for about another 3 weeks. And everyone on the DIS knew which thread to come to, to discuss Will, Chris, Jada, the "entanglement" and the slap. :teeth:

7 years ago Lindsay Ellis made a video about the Oscars. She makes a few good points about how the Oscars work.
- The largest part of the Academy are actors, which doesn't help to award certain movies.
- Nowadays the best performing movies rarely get nominated anymore for best picture.

And I think you can also see it reflected in Rotten Tomatoes scores. It happens more and more often that the critics and the public have very different ideas about what makes a good movie.
Sadly, 15 million is a pretty pathetic audience for a national TV show. It had over 57 million viewers in 1998.

Really interesting video! She did a lot of research, not just talked from a place of opinion. :thumbsup2

Sadly, 15 million is a pretty pathetic audience for a national TV show. It had over 57 million viewers in 1998.
I was also just thinking, with the pandemic, everyone turned to Netflix and other streaming services. A lot of the nominees of the last two years were not on streaming services or late on streaming services. People say: "I'll wait till it's on Netflix", and when it gets on Netflix, it happens quietly, and all the buzz of the promotion tour is over. Which probably results in less people actually watching it.

Before Covid, in my country the biggest movie theater made a special event out of the Oscars. In the weeks leading up to the Oscars, they had a few nights where you could marathon watch several Oscar nominated movies. Now it's just a list of the nominees and in which theaters you can (still) watch these movies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter