The Official VILLAS at DISNEYLAND HOTEL (Discovery Tower) Owners and Fans Info Thread

….. but that might change as more points gets sold.

I think this may be an area where resale restrictions are advantageous for current owners.
That’s true, but as more points get sold, more inventory will get released for DVC. Last report was they’ll need to declare more units when they sell about 90K more points (probably a bit lower than that now as that was last month). Sometime in the next 3-4 months they’ll hit that and have to declare more inventory for DVC.

Last edited:
That’s true, but as more points get sold, more inventory will get released for DVC. Last report was they’ll need to declare more units when they sell about 90K more points (probably a bit lower than that now as that was last month). Sometime in the next 3-4 months they’ll hit that and have to declare more inventory for DVC.
Where can one find the direct sales figures?

More inventory, but mostly studio inventory…. there just aren’t a lot of villas….

Yes, as the bastard step child to GCV it does have less villas, but more villas will be declared as more points are sold (the point I was trying to make).

Now, you VDH haters who don’t own there go somewhere else. :P
Having stayed there in a studio and a 1BD, I’d venture that I have more experience at the property than most owners….

About to stay at VDH for the first time and hoping someone who has stayed recently can advise whether or not the monorail pool (and slides!) are open. We are not huge pool people but I’ve always wanted to do the monorail slides… I’m certain I read somewhere recently that it was closed but I went back several pages here and don’t see any references to it one way or another.

About to stay at VDH for the first time and hoping someone who has stayed recently can advise whether or not the monorail pool (and slides!) are open. We are not huge pool people but I’ve always wanted to do the monorail slides… I’m certain I read somewhere recently that it was closed but I went back several pages here and don’t see any references to it one way or another.
The Orange slide is closed and will remain closed for probably a few months. Everything else is open

The Orange slide is closed and will remain closed for probably a few months. Everything else is open
Thank you— it’s surprisingly confusing because Disney refers to it as the red monorail in some places…and I thought it was supposed to reopen by now, but I will plan for it to be closed as it’s still states it is closed on the website. One of the “planDisney” people suggests that Disney is allowing DLH guests access to the Pixar Pier pool, but that info isn’t always accurate and I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle of schlepping over there.

While not a specific VDH question I am going to ask the question here because I think most of the posters in this thread do both WDW and DL. We have about 3 or so days to decide before we get inside a 30 day window that would move points into holding if we re-allocated some stuff......

If you had the option of going to WDW or DL for a week that goes from the end of Dec to early Jan which would you do? I know that WDW is super busy at that time as we've done it many times. We know how to navigate the crowds and make things seem reasonable. Our first DL trip is in a little over a month so no experience with that.

We will be in FL for a week w/my family in Sanibel and then we can either drive over to WDW for a week or fly to DL for a week.

VDH does tie in here as there is currently availability for the dates we would want (and we own so we don't have to wait until the 7 month mark)

What would you choose?

Having stayed there in a studio and a 1BD, I’d venture that I have more experience at the property than most owners….
900ish points at VDH. We’ve got 2 stays in a one BR, one stay in a 2BR, one stay in a Studio. 1 more stay booked already in the next 5 months, one in 11 months, and looking at squeezing in a third in the next 7 , so we’ve got some experience there as well as owners.

900ish points at VDH. We’ve got 2 stays in a one BR, one stay in a 2BR, one stay in a Studio. 1 more stay booked already in the next 5 months, one in 11 months, and looking at squeezing in a third in the next 7 , so we’ve got some experience there as well as owners.
Right, but I don’t recall anyone telling you to “go somewhere else”.

While not a specific VDH question I am going to ask the question here because I think most of the posters in this thread do both WDW and DL. We have about 3 or so days to decide before we get inside a 30 day window that would move points into holding if we re-allocated some stuff......

If you had the option of going to WDW or DL for a week that goes from the end of Dec to early Jan which would you do? I know that WDW is super busy at that time as we've done it many times. We know how to navigate the crowds and make things seem reasonable. Our first DL trip is in a little over a month so no experience with that.

We will be in FL for a week w/my family in Sanibel and then we can either drive over to WDW for a week or fly to DL for a week.

VDH does tie in here as there is currently availability for the dates we would want (and we own so we don't have to wait until the 7 month mark)

What would you choose?
Can’t comment on WDW, but DLR resort this past year was fairly busy between Xmas and new years, a bit lighter after new years.

Right, but I don’t recall anyone telling you to “go somewhere else”.
Here’s my gripe….its the VDH owners and fans group. Not the owners/fans and haters group. If you don’t like the resort (and I don’t mean you specifically), why come in here to rain on the parade of people/owners here who enjoy it? I don’t go into the owners/fans of the grand California group and talk about how old and busted and dark the rooms are there with almost no Disney theming. Or complain about the lack of inventory there ( isn’t it 23 of each room type) and difficulty booking there at 7 months.

Can’t comment on WDW, but DLR resort this past year was fairly busy between Xmas and new years, a bit lighter after new years.
Thanks. We decided to stick with WDW this year. Will see how we navigate DLR this summer and then decide during the home booking window for the following holidays on which we want to do.

Here’s my gripe….its the VDH owners and fans group. Not the owners/fans and haters group. If you don’t like the resort (and I don’t mean you specifically), why come in here to rain on the parade of people/owners here who enjoy it? I don’t go into the owners/fans of the grand California group and talk about how old and busted and dark the rooms are there with almost no Disney theming. Or complain about the lack of inventory there ( isn’t it 23 of each room type) and difficulty booking there at 7 months.
While I don’t agree with your assessment of the Grand Cal rooms or the quality of the theming, I do understand that it could be tiring having people who are not owners or who have not stayed at the property come onto a thread and drone on about things that have already been discussed at length like the TOT.

However, one of the benefits of owning direct points is that you can stay at all of the resorts and someone can be a fan without being an owner.

As someone who has stayed at the resort twice, defended it when others have said they’d rather stay offsite, and promoted it as a very valid reason to consider owning some direct points I think I fall into the “fan group”.

Now as a “fan”, I can still point out that the Dishwasher exploded when we stayed there, that the mattress felt extra firm, that it was creepy to have a full sized face character staring at me in our living room, and that it’s a very studio heavy resort and is likely to get more difficult (not impossible right at 11m) to book villas as more points are sold (similar to VGF now).

Other owners have also pointed out water issues on the lower floors and how they didn’t have hot water on there trips and that the hot tub was offer not working.

I’ll drop it now, I just didn’t like being put into the “VDH Hater” camp when I like the resort…. especially the Palm Breeze Bar! And having an extra DVC resort that has a chance for some studio inventory within 7m at DLand is awesome! A game changer really.

Ok… I’m done now…. rant over….

While I don’t agree with your assessment of the Grand Cal rooms or the quality of the theming, I do understand that it could be tiring having people who are not owners or who have not stayed at the property come onto a thread and drone on about things that have already been discussed at length like the TOT.

However, one of the benefits of owning direct points is that you can stay at all of the resorts and someone can be a fan without being an owner.

As someone who has stayed at the resort twice, defended it when others have said they’d rather stay offsite, and promoted it as a very valid reason to consider owning some direct points I think I fall into the “fan group”.

Now as a “fan”, I can still point out that the Dishwasher exploded when we stayed there, that the mattress felt extra firm, that it was creepy to have a full sized face character staring at me in our living room, and that it’s a very studio heavy resort and is likely to get more difficult (not impossible right at 11m) to book villas as more points are sold (similar to VGF now).

Other owners have also pointed out water issues on the lower floors and how they didn’t have hot water on there trips and that the hot tub was offer not working.

I’ll drop it now, I just didn’t like being put into the “VDH Hater” camp when I like the resort…. especially the Palm Breeze Bar! And having an extra DVC resort that has a chance for some studio inventory within 7m at DLand is awesome! A game changer really.

Ok… I’m done now…. rant over….
I think that’s fair, and even as a fan it doesn’t mean things are perfect all the time. We all have different preferences, and I personally prefer the firmer beds in the newer/refurbed resorts compared to the softer ones at VGC. I also like the Palm Breeze Bar and that lounge area of the VDH lobby. But there is nothing like that Pixar Pier view at VGC… I adore that view.

You did throw me for a loop with the full size face character comment though… I was imagining an actual human sized mannequin type thing and wondering how I missed it. That would really freak me out…

As for me, I own almost equal points at both VDH and VGC because I love them both. Don’t make me choose. I just really hope they do a good job with the VGC refurb.

I think that’s fair, and even as a fan it doesn’t mean things are perfect all the time. We all have different preferences, and I personally prefer the firmer beds in the newer/refurbed resorts compared to the softer ones at VGC. I also like the Palm Breeze Bar and that lounge area of the VDH lobby. But there is nothing like that Pixar Pier view at VGC… I adore that view.

You did throw me for a loop with the full size face character comment though… I was imagining an actual human sized mannequin type thing and wondering how I missed it. That would really freak me out…

As for me, I own almost equal points at both VDH and VGC because I love them both. Don’t make me choose. I just really hope they do a good job with the VGC refurb.
It’s the giant Tiana picture in the living room of the 1 bedrooms…. I like the movie…. I like the character…. but I don’t want a full size painting of any character… especially a face character…. staring at me while I am eating or at my kids when they are sleeping…..

It’s the giant Tiana picture in the living room of the 1 bedrooms…. I like the movie…. I like the character…. but I don’t want a full size painting of any character… especially a face character…. staring at me while I am eating or at my kids when they are sleeping…..
I get what you mean, but luckily the painting doesn’t bother us. I do, however, prefer the way they did the artwork at RIV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter