The Prize for the most Indecisive Traveller

I like the idea of somewhere different, so Africa and Canada/Alaska would have to be the frontrunners for me. Otherwise Europe. You could really schedule a Disney fix into any of those - DLR for Canada/Alaska, DLP for Europe, and HKDL for Africa (if you're thinking of stopping off in Singapore anyway, it's not that much further ;)).

I know what you mean about the dilemmas of travelling. I almost hate to find places that I really love, as I really dislike the idea of travelling to the same places all the time :rotfl: It's ok when you can also fit new places in though (which is why DLR and HKDL are great as they're pretty easy to include as stopovers on the way to/from somewhere new).

I actually get quite annoyed with myself when I find myself craving a return trip to a place I've already been. I even feel a bit annoyed when I return to the same country but different location.
Silly I know - especially since travel should be about having fun, not ticking off some sort of list that no one really cares about besides me. It's just that I find myself enlightened by different cultures and countries, and it seems that more and more often I am opting for comfort-zone western-style holidays.
It's part of the reason why Africa is top of my list. It will be a completely new style of holiday for all of us, and one I think we'd love.

If we did the Alaskan cruise, I think I would have to get my Disney fix from a Disney cruise. Even though I've heard that Princess have better itineraries. For a Africa/Singapore trip, I wouldn't mind missing Disney if I could go to Universal instead.

I actually get quite annoyed with myself when I find myself craving a return trip to a place I've already been. I even feel a bit annoyed when I return to the same country but different location.
Silly I know - especially since travel should be about having fun, not ticking off some sort of list that no one really cares about besides me. It's just that I find myself enlightened by different cultures and countries, and it seems that more and more often I am opting for comfort-zone western-style holidays.
It's part of the reason why Africa is top of my list. It will be a completely new style of holiday for all of us, and one I think we'd love.

If we did the Alaskan cruise, I think I would have to get my Disney fix from a Disney cruise. Even though I've heard that Princess have better itineraries. For a Africa/Singapore trip, I wouldn't mind missing Disney if I could go to Universal instead.

I hear ya! As much as I love Vietnam and am looking forward to going back, it kind of pains me that we'll be going again for our next anniversary trip, especially when we haven't gotten to Laos or Myanmar yet. We even plan to go back to Hoi An specifically! We've decided though, that we'll be happy as long as we visit at least one new place on each trip.

I hear ya! As much as I love Vietnam and am looking forward to going back, it kind of pains me that we'll be going again for our next anniversary trip, especially when we haven't gotten to Laos or Myanmar yet. We even plan to go back to Hoi An specifically! We've decided though, that we'll be happy as long as we visit at least one new place on each trip.

Can I ask what it is you love about Vietnam so much?
Apart from Singapore and a few days in Kuala Lumpur, I haven't been to Sth East Asia. Yet I have been researching these places quite a bit lately, as they would be a cheaper alternative to my 4 preferences above. The problem is that in the scheme of my very long bucket list, they don't excite me as much as the destinations in my top 10. I'm convinced I must be missing something though, as I know quite a few people who travel to Sth East Asia year after year after year. My sister swears by the area and rarely goes anywhere else.

Can I ask what it is you love about Vietnam so much?
Apart from Singapore and a few days in Kuala Lumpur, I haven't been to Sth East Asia. Yet I have been researching these places quite a bit lately, as they would be a cheaper alternative to my 4 preferences above. The problem is that in the scheme of my very long bucket list, they don't excite me as much as the destinations in my top 10. I'm convinced I must be missing something though, as I know quite a few people who travel to Sth East Asia year after year after year. My sister swears by the area and rarely goes anywhere else.

Until we went to Vietnam, I wasn't a big fan of South East Asia either :rotfl: I think for me the key is avoiding the touristy beach places. I know a lot of people who travel year after year to Bali or Phuket, and I don't get that either :confused3

Vietnam has such a huge variety of places to go and things to see, some amazing scenery, interesting history, and the people (in general) are so wonderfully friendly. In some places we've been, it's almost felt like we were visiting friends! I believe the beachy places are starting to feel the affects of mass tourism now, but if you avoid those, it's a very charming place.

I also enjoyed KL and Singapore, but Siem Reap not as much. Again, the over touristing around the temples didn't help.

For our trip later this year we've decided to stick with Thailand, but we're staying inland. We're planning to visit a national park for a couple of days, where we'll see a massive flock of bats leave for their evening hunt, hike through the jungle, see some waterfalls, hopefully some monkeys and other wildlife, and possibly some Asian elephants. Then we'll head to a very small city where there are Khmer temple ruins (looks like a less touristy, smaller version of the Angkor temples). And because our trip coincides with the full moon lantern festival, we'll even get shows and fireworks against the backdrop of the temples. I'm hoping before the festival starts I can get some good photos at sunset/sunrise without the HUGE crowds that descend on Angkor for these times.

We're finishing up with a trip to Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai is only included because (A) DH has a friend who lives there, and (B) it's known to have one of the best festival celebrations with both floating and flying lanterns. A flying lanterns festival has been on my wishlist since seeing Tangled :lmao: so I'm pretty happy with that. Otherwise we probably would have visited a bigger and even more out of the way Khmer ruins site, and possibly crossed the border to Laos in the Champasak region. I wasn't that keen on Thailand before, but now I've found those out of the way destinations, I can't wait!

SE Asia is (relatively) quick, easy and cheap to get to from Australia (especially the west coast). In fact, from Perth it's quicker and cheaper to fly to Indonesia than it is to get to the east coast, which is why so many Aussies end up in Bali. Once there the accommodation and food is cheap too. It's going to cost us less than $1500 (including flights, accommodation, sight-seeing/tours etc, and all internal travel) for our whole week in Thailand :thumbsup2

It's good that you travel off the beaten path. I'll be keen to hear what you think of Thailand. :thumbsup2

I can see why so many Western Australians go to Bali etc. I probably would have been there already if I lived that close.

Flights to Bali, Phuket etc aren't cheap from NZ, so I have to decide whether the flight cost is being balanced out by the cheaper land costs. Perhaps for a cultural and foodie trip they would be, but as far as beaches go, I'm not convinced the beaches look any nicer than ones much closer to home.

I'm sure I'll get there one day. :)

Well, that's not much help :rotfl:

I'm pleased a Dismeet doesn't count. More like an expensive night out than a trip :rotfl:

I know. :blush:

If it came to a choice between Alaska/Canada or Africa, I would pick Alaska/Canada.

South East Asia is a mini-Europe. All the countries are different and similar in their own way. Being born in SE-Asia, I tend to overlook it a bit. I figure we can always head there when the dollar isn't as strong.

But I did cast my eyes in that direction when I realised how much Sydney was going to cost! In the end it was the promise I made to my Sydney friends that stopped me from booking a SE Asian trip.

It's good that you travel off the beaten path. I'll be keen to hear what you think of Thailand. :thumbsup2

I might do a brief TR like I did for Vietnam if there's enough interest :thumbsup2

I can see why so many Western Australians go to Bali etc. I probably would have been there already if I lived that close.

Being a former West Australian myself, I have been to Bali three times (once on a family holiday, once as part of a cultural trip to Indonesia with my high school, and once on a language/culture trip when I was at Uni - I was studying Indonesian at the time). I only enjoyed the last trip because I made friends with one of the staff at the hotel and he organised for his son to be my personal tour guide :rotfl: I got to see a lot of the less touristy parts of Bali and experienced a lot of local life (spent a bit of time in his village, visited his mum at work etc). The small amount of time I spent in Kuta was stressful and annoying. I absolutely have no desire to go back whatsoever.

Flights to Bali, Phuket etc aren't cheap from NZ, so I have to decide whether the flight cost is being balanced out by the cheaper land costs. Perhaps for a cultural and foodie trip they would be, but as far as beaches go, I'm not convinced the beaches look any nicer than ones much closer to home.

The beaches of the Pacific Islands are much more appealing to me than the ones in SE Asia. If the beach is a big part of your trip, you're probably better off going there. I'm not a beachy person at all, so it doesn't bother me.

I'm sure I'll get there one day. :)

I'm sure you will too!

South East Asia is a mini-Europe. All the countries are different and similar in their own way. Being born in SE-Asia, I tend to overlook it a bit. I figure we can always head there when the dollar isn't as strong.

Having now experienced some of the more local places without hordes of tourists, I'm keen to experience as much of those parts of SE Asia as I can before it gets completely overrun! We missed the boat with Siem Reap. I suspect we've missed the boat with Luang Prabang (Laos) and Bagan (Myanmar) too :sad2:

But yes, it is a good time at the moment for travel to places where we're at a disadvantage with our dollar.

The old 'so many places to go, so little time and money' dilemma :rotfl:

Decisions, Decisions. How to decide. I am facing a similar situation. I guess you can make a wish list of places you want to see in each area and then rate them. See if that helps with the decision process. Also estimate the costs, that also might factor in. The best things is that no mater which one you choose you know its going to be great.:woohoo:

If it helps I would vote for S.Africa then Alaska.

But I did cast my eyes in that direction when I realised how much Sydney was going to cost! In the end it was the promise I made to my Sydney friends that stopped me from booking a SE Asian trip.

It's a shame when your own country becomes so costly that you start looking overseas for a cheaper trip.

Before Jetstar set up shop in the NZ domestic market, it was just as cheap to fly to Australia as it was to the Sth Island.
I found it really hard to justify a trip down South when I could go to the Gold Coast for about the same cost.

Still, I think it's important to see your own country. Tourists aren't paying big $$$ to flock to NZ and Australia for nothing. We are blessed to live in such beautiful surroundings, yet I think it sometimes takes being a tourist in our own country to realise this. :drive: :love:

I might do a brief TR like I did for Vietnam if there's enough interest :thumbsup2

We missed the boat with Siem Reap. I suspect we've missed the boat with Luang Prabang (Laos) and Bagan (Myanmar) too :sad2:

There absolutely would be interest for a TR. I love that here on the Aussie part of the DIS we can discuss non-Disney travel alongside Disney trips. I think most of us just share a passion for travel in general.

As for Laos and Myanmar, I don't know a single person who has been to either. Not that that is saying much - no one in my 3D world is as obsessed with travel as I am. However, I suspect you should still be in time to beat the tourist rush if you visit those countries within the next 3 or so years.

Decisions, Decisions. How to decide. I am facing a similar situation. I guess you can make a wish list of places you want to see in each area and then rate them. See if that helps with the decision process. Also estimate the costs, that also might factor in. The best things is that no mater which one you choose you know its going to be great.:woohoo:

If it helps I would vote for S.Africa then Alaska.

What places are you trying to decide between? Do share. :listen:

At present I am strongly swaying towards Africa. The more I research, the more excited I get. My dilemma at present is where to visit. There are so many wonderful options.

I am torn between spending most of our time in Kruger NP (and also perhaps popping over the border to see Vic Falls in Zimbabwe and Chobe NP in Botswana), or sticking to the non Malaria zones of South Africa such as Madikwe and the Waterberg Mountains.

At least I have plenty of time to decide. :goodvibes

I'm going through a bit of a wildlife obsession at present. My family and I love sitting down and watching BBC wildlife documentaries (we are watching an episode of Africa each night at present), and it's become a bit of a goal of mine to start ticking off the major wildlife locations around the world starting with Yellowstone in a few months.

I asked DH what animal he would most like to see in the wild and he said a sloth. So now I'm also seriously considering Costa Rica alongside Africa and Alaska. It's been in my top 10 bucket list for years, but it's just been bumped up a few places. :)

I highly recommend both Vic Falls and Chobe. Our lodge in Chobe was fantastic too! The great thing about those place is that they're so close together, there's no need for additional flights (which helps to keep the cost down). Also, Chobe is less popular than Kruger so you don't have to fight with as many tourists. We hardly saw any other jeeps on our safaris, and the animals on the west side of the park were definitely still wary of the jeeps. It's a great place to see elephants, hippos, giraffes, buffalo, baboons, and different sorts of antelope, birds. We went at the wrong time of year for zebras, and also didn't have much luck with big cats. DH did see a lion on his first safari though, and we also managed to spot a group of hyenas. We also did a river safari which was great and allowed us to see some animals from a different perspective.

Although we were in Vic Falls mainly to see the falls themselves, we did also see plenty of wildlife in that area, and there were some interesting activities to do. I actually would have liked more time in that area and would definitely be keen to go back. We enjoyed the sunset cruise on the Zambezi, and horse riding through the national park. Would also highly recommend our accommodation there.

Have another look at my honeymoon TR if you're interested in that area.

FWIW, South America is very high on my list, and would definitely include a 'safari' of some sort.

I highly recommend both Vic Falls and Chobe. Our lodge in Chobe was fantastic too! The great thing about those place is that they're so close together, there's no need for additional flights (which helps to keep the cost down). Also, Chobe is less popular than Kruger so you don't have to fight with as many tourists. We hardly saw any other jeeps on our safaris, and the animals on the west side of the park were definitely still wary of the jeeps. It's a great place to see elephants, hippos, giraffes, buffalo, baboons, and different sorts of antelope, birds. We went at the wrong time of year for zebras, and also didn't have much luck with big cats. DH did see a lion on his first safari though, and we also managed to spot a group of hyenas. We also did a river safari which was great and allowed us to see some animals from a different perspective. Although we were in Vic Falls mainly to see the falls themselves, we did also see plenty of wildlife in that area, and there were some interesting activities to do. I actually would have liked more time in that area and would definitely be keen to go back. We enjoyed the sunset cruise on the Zambezi, and horse riding through the national park. Would also highly recommend our accommodation there. Have another look at my honeymoon TR if you're interested in that area. FWIW, South America is very high on my list, and would definitely include a 'safari' of some sort.

I had a look at your TR and your pics were great.

Have you visited any other areas in Africa besides Vic Falls and Chobe? Because of your user name, I mistakingly assumed your honeymoon trip was to East African countries like Tanzania.

I am very keen to go to Kruger. The private reserves on the outskirts of Kruger (e.g. sabi Sands) are the best place in the world to see leopard, and of all the big cats, a leopard is my favourite. But I'm also very torn about giving my son Malaria tablets. We would have a high chance of seeing lions in the non-Malaria zone of Madikwe, but leopards will be more challenging. On the plus side, Madikwe is a better area for seeing wild African Dogs, the lodges are cheaper than Kruger, and they provide great programmes for kids. Decisions, decisions. I think I should purchase a lotto ticket for tonight's draw. If I win, I can go to every area :)

I had a look at your TR and your pics were great.

Have you visited any other areas in Africa besides Vic Falls and Chobe? Because of your user name, I mistakingly assumed your honeymoon trip was to East African countries like Tanzania.

I am very keen to go to Kruger. The private reserves on the outskirts of Kruger (e.g. sabi Sands) are the best place in the world to see leopard, and of all the big cats, a leopard is my favourite. But I'm also very torn about giving my son Malaria tablets. We would have a high chance of seeing lions in the non-Malaria zone of Madikwe, but leopards will be more challenging. On the plus side, Madikwe is a better area for seeing wild African Dogs, the lodges are cheaper than Kruger, and they provide great programmes for kids. Decisions, decisions. I think I should purchase a lotto ticket for tonight's draw. If I win, I can go to every area :)

Nope, just Vic Falls and Chobe. Zanzibar was my horse in high school :thumbsup2 This was our first big trip, and really what ignited our passion for travel, so we pretty much just went with what our TA suggested. Also, we only had a week in Africa, so didn't want to spend a lot of time travelling between destinations. I think if we were to go back that way, I'd probably start with Tanzania, relax for a couple of days on Zanzibar, spend a couple of weeks in Madagascar, then end the trip with a few nights in Mauritius :thumbsup2 Just off the top of my head of course and without thinking about budget :rotfl:

If you're concerned about giving your son malaria tablets, you should probably have a chat with your doctor before you get too far into the planning process.

You have to also remember that there are no guarantees of seeing any specific animal in any of these places. How disappointed would you be if you gave your son malaria tablets and spent a lot more money on your accommodation and STILL didn't see a leopard?

I think the best approach is to choose which areas suit you, and be happy with whatever animals you see. We didn't see many 'exciting' animals in Chobe, but we had an unforgettable time regardless, and I really don't feel like I missed out at all.

You have to also remember that there are no guarantees of seeing any specific animal in any of these places. How disappointed would you be if you gave your son malaria tablets and spent a lot more money on your accommodation and STILL didn't see a leopard?

You are right. Plus for me, it's often the little things that mean the most to me. Many of the child-friendly resorts provide great programmes for the kids such as giving them packs of plaster of paris so they can make molds of animal tracks, or taking them in search of dung beetles and other interesting insects. I love that. It's things like this that my son will probably enjoy the most.

I've been also researching the likes of Madagascar, Mauritius, the Seychelles, and the Maldives, as I thought it might be easy to stop for a few days in one of these destinations on the way home. Unfortunately it's nowhere near as easy, or cheap, as I had hoped. I'll do more research next year as it gets closer to flights being released, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

You are right. Plus for me, it's often the little things that mean the most to me. Many of the child-friendly resorts provide great programmes for the kids such as giving them packs of plaster of paris so they can make molds of animal tracks, or taking them in search of dung beetles and other interesting insects. I love that. It's things like this that my son will probably enjoy the most.

I've been also researching the likes of Madagascar, Mauritius, the Seychelles, and the Maldives, as I thought it might be easy to stop for a few days in one of these destinations on the way home. Unfortunately it's nowhere near as easy, or cheap, as I had hoped. I'll do more research next year as it gets closer to flights being released, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Sounds like you'd be better off at one of the child-friendly places. I imagine 4 hour safari drives starting at 5am wouldn't be as thrilling for kids...

That was actually our plan for our honeymoon, to finish off with one of those islands. We also looked at Reunion Island and the coast of Tanzania. Because it was prohibitively expensive and hard to organise, we decided to go with Vietnam instead since we were already planning to go via HK. I'm hoping now we're a bit more travel savvy we'll be able to find some better deals :thumbsup2

Sounds like you'd be better off at one of the child-friendly places. I imagine 4 hour safari drives starting at 5am wouldn't be as thrilling for kids... That was actually our plan for our honeymoon, to finish off with one of those islands. We also looked at Reunion Island and the coast of Tanzania. Because it was prohibitively expensive and hard to organise, we decided to go with Vietnam instead since we were already planning to go via HK. I'm hoping now we're a bit more travel savvy we'll be able to find some better deals :thumbsup2

The good thing about the family friendly places is that they usually have babysitters available if kids don't want to do the game drives. I certainly wouldn't want to miss the game drives, so it would be nice to have this an option should we need it.

I have been researching luxury all-inclusive lodges and I am in love. We certainly wouldn't be able to spend every night in these places, but I'm determined to splash out at least 4 nights just to experience what they're like. Here's a few family friendly places in non-Malaria zones that have already caught my eye.

http://www.madikwesafarilodge.co.za/default.asp (Lelapa family lodge)

http://www.seasonsinafrica.com/lodges-in-south-africa/madikwe-game-reserve/tuningi-safari-lodge/

http://www.marataba.co.za

The good thing about the family friendly places is that they usually have babysitters available if kids don't want to do the game drives. I certainly wouldn't want to miss the game drives, so it would be nice to have this an option should we need it.

I have been researching luxury all-inclusive lodges and I am in love. We certainly wouldn't be able to spend every night in these places, but I'm determined to splash out at least 4 nights just to experience what they're like. Here's a few family friendly places in non-Malaria zones that have already caught my eye.

http://www.madikwesafarilodge.co.za/default.asp (Lelapa family lodge)

http://www.seasonsinafrica.com/lodges-in-south-africa/madikwe-game-reserve/tuningi-safari-lodge/

http://www.marataba.co.za

Wow those places look insanely beautiful :faint:

The places we stayed at were not luxury, but were beautiful and very charming, and had everything we needed. At Chobe, it was pretty quiet, so all our game drives were private :thumbsup2

I agree, if you can swing it, definitely spend a few nights somewhere like that! And report back on your experiences too ::yes::

Wow those places look insanely beautiful :faint: The places we stayed at were not luxury, but were beautiful and very charming, and had everything we needed. At Chobe, it was pretty quiet, so all our game drives were private :thumbsup2 I agree, if you can swing it, definitely spend a few nights somewhere like that! And report back on your experiences too ::yes::

You should see some of the 5 star places in Sabi Sands. Oh how the other half live. :)

The places you stayed in Chobe look lovely and would probably be the style of accommodation we would aim for if we went there. The 5 star game resorts in Botswana are CRAZY expensive - particularly during July which is high season for that part of Africa. They make the places I posted look cheap by comparison.

The cheapest option I am considering is a self-drive through Kruger. It looks like fun, with the exception that I would probably freak out big time if we got a flat tyre. Unlike Yellowstone, you can't get out of your car and you can't even open a window or leave your door unlocked (the baboons there can get into cars).
Like Yellowstone, accommodation books out crazy early. Apparently the government lodges opened July 2015 bookings this week and most of places booked out within an hour.

You should see some of the 5 star places in Sabi Sands. Oh how the other half live. :)

The places you stayed in Chobe look lovely and would probably be the style of accommodation we would aim for if we went there. The 5 star game resorts in Botswana are CRAZY expensive - particularly during July which is high season for that part of Africa. They make the places I posted look cheap by comparison.

The cheapest option I am considering is a self-drive through Kruger. It looks like fun, with the exception that I would probably freak out big time if we got a flat tyre. Unlike Yellowstone, you can't get out of your car and you can't even open a window or leave your door unlocked (the baboons there can get into cars).
Like Yellowstone, accommodation books out crazy early. Apparently the government lodges opened July 2015 bookings this week and most of places booked out within an hour.

I think I would be too nervous to do a self-drive. There are just so many things that can go wrong! We were not allowed to leave our accommodation unlocked either because of the baboons. They sure are cheeky and clever!

I don't know if I'd be happy in a regular car with the windows up either. A safari jeep is much better for photography :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter