The Psychology of the DLR Annual Pass Holder

I'm glad you said this, because I was getting very frustrated with the direction the thread was going. It bothers me that people are saying AP-holders are "ruining" their vacations. One of the most helpful things about these boards are that they help you plan! There are so many posts about crowd trends at any certain time, how to get on all the rides you want during a busy season, what days of the week are best to go, what time of day you should get there, etc. etc. We're helping eachother have an amazing Disney experience by sharing first hand experiences. There have been many cases where new DISfans come back from trips raving about how all the tips and suggestions worked for them and they had a great time. I think it's important to know(or guess at) what blackout days mean for crowds. It's just another tool for DISmembers to have under their trip planning belts.

If crowds "ruin" vacations for people, they probably need to find a better time or place to vacation. I am truly happy just being at Disneyland. I may plan on riding as many rides as possible, but when I get there it doesn't matter as much anymore. DIS provides many resources for people wishing to get the most
out of their vacations. If people aren't taking advantage of these tools and letting their trip be ruined by lines, I don't see how that is the fault of the AP-holders.

I wonder what the ratio is of the folks who live within 5 hours to those who do not that post here. I drive to the coast alot for weekend getaways and it takes me about 5 to six hours(only reason for the criteria.)
I do not get the feeling looking at profiles, maybe I am wrong.

Jack

I wonder what the ratio is of the folks who live within 5 hours to those who do not that post here. I drive to the coast alot for weekend getaways and it takes me about 5 to six hours(only reason for the criteria.)

Jack
I think there should be a poll for that. I haven't been able to get a very clear idea of who are locals and who live far away. I am 6ish hours away, which I don't necessarily think is close, but I am definitely able to make a weekend trip more easily that a lot of people(depending on funds).

PinkBudgie, you better not have any animosity towards your local-AP-carrying sister! :rotfl2:

As others have stated, it is important for planning to know when there might be more crowds so I agree with that and I know that was Hydroguy's intention. But as merrydeath said, when someone says you, as a local who might pop over to DLR for a few hours, is ruining their vacation and doesn't consider us paying customers, that's where some of us are seeing the animosity. And yes, of course everyone has the right to share their opinion but it's better if it's done in a friendly way, right? :)

Ugg, I usually try to avoid these sorts of conflicts but somehow I let myself get swept into the controversy.

I, too, am glad to see that this thread is returning to the original point- which is if you are planning a vacation and want to avoid long waits in line- then you might want to look at the annual passholder blackout dates as they might have an impact on your touring plan. And -also-the opening/reopening of any nighttime show/attraction/special event is likely to have a much larger impact on crowds at DLR than it would at WDW because there are a far greater number of annual passholders at DLR that there are for WDW. As a pp stated, with 800,000 annual passholders, a small percentage of AP holders can make a huge impact on park attendance.

I don't think ANYONE prefers to wait in line as opposed to walking on a ride. Sure, I 've had some great conversations with the people next to me, but would I would rather be able to walk on. If I am planning a trip, I want to have as much information as I can to help me minimize my wait time and avoid crowds. I think that was Hydroguy's intent and he has provided great advice. If I am trying to decide which night of my vacation to see F!, I would read his post and know that maybe I should check the various annual pass black out calendars before making that decision. That is precisely the type of information I expect to see on these boards.

I've said a few times now that I blame Disney for the way it's set up, and that I don't blame locals for wanting to go often. I guess some just would rather over look that. :confused3

I've felt this way about the AP system for quite some time. There is no such thing anymore as a slow period at DL. As I've seen from my many attempts at trying to go when it's slower. It's hit or miss, luck to get a few days where it's slower. I do see this as because of locals with AP's.

Again I'm not trying to make this personal, I'm sure if I was a local I'd have an AP. But I think to be fair disney should do away with them (they obviously stayed open before they had them!). Or I do believe people will start wanting to go elsewhere when they realize no matter when they go there is good size crowds (look at the threads asking about low crowds, it's something people want). I think it would be nice if they thought of tourists who are coming from far away, and may only be able to be there ONCE if not less a year. Feel free to disagree with me, I've got a thick skin. And this isn't a popularity contest, it's simply my opinion from observations over the years. Oh and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one feeling this way, this board is full of hard core DL fans. A lot of people won't feel it's worth the crowds. I've always just dealt with the crowds, because I love DL. But after a while it gets to be too much, and I will start looking for our vacation fun elsewhere. I'm just giving the prespective of a lot of tourists out there.

Fastpass and getting there early HELPS. But it's still not anywhere near the same as if you could go during a more slow time. Not all rides have FP, and the experience is still dampered by the crowds. When you can't walk freely around without feeling like your in a herd of cattle, and can't shop because it's wall to wall people. Or you have to sit down for something HOURS before hand to get a decent seat. All factors.

As far as personal goes, it doesn't seem to me that locals are all that concerned about the experience tourists are having on their vacations by the looks of this thread either. I've expressed my opinion, and I'm not wanting to debate this further, so I'm done now. Good luck for those trying to plan around those with all AP's, quite the impossible task IMO. :)

I've said a few times now...

Yes, you've stated your opinion several times now. Could we please please see this thread return to HydroGuy's original intent? Thank you. (And honestly, not to be rude, and in case I'm not clear - that is a rhetorical question... we really really don't need to hear your opinion on this again).

I, too, am glad to see that this thread is returning to the original point- which is if you are planning a vacation and want to avoid long waits in line- then you might want to look at the annual passholder blackout dates as they might have an impact on your touring plan. And -also-the opening/reopening of any nighttime show/attraction/special event is likely to have a much larger impact on crowds at DLR than it would at WDW because there are a far greater number of annual passholders at DLR that there are for WDW. As a pp stated, with 800,000 annual passholders, a small percentage of AP holders can make a huge impact on park attendance.

I don't think ANYONE prefers to wait in line as opposed to walking on a ride. Sure, I 've had some great conversations with the people next to me, but would I would rather be able to walk on. If I am planning a trip, I want to have as much information as I can to help me minimize my wait time and avoid crowds. I think that was Hydroguy's intent and he has provided great advice. If I am trying to decide which night of my vacation to see F!, I would read his post and know that maybe I should check the various annual pass black out calendars before making that decision. That is precisely the type of information I expect to see on these boards.

Thank you and amen!

We will be at DLR from the 10th through the 17th, so we will get to see firsthand the impact of the blackout lift this month (even if just a tiny bit). I will come report here when we get back to let you all know what we experienced.

Yes, you've stated your opinion several times now. Could we please please see this thread return to HydroGuy's original intent? Thank you. (And honestly, not to be rude, and in case I'm not clear - that is a rhetorical question... we really really don't need to hear your opinion on this again).

Thank you and amen!

My goodness how rude, I think I have the right to reply to people speaking about my posts. Don't like it, skip it. Amen! :rolleyes:

Disney's goal, whether we as guests like it or not, is to fill the park with people. They market to every possible segment of the population (locals, tourists, corporations, etc...) in order to do this. Their goal, I believe, is to never have a slow time. That is not a sign of not thinking of guests who have traveled far or near, but good business. (Stock holders, anyone?)

...But I think to be fair disney should do away with them [APs]. I think it would be nice if they thought of tourists who are coming from far away, and may only be able to be there ONCE if not less a year.
FWIW, I do believe Disney thinks of tourists. They have special travel packages, special hotel stays, special travel perks, etc that locals don't benefit from at all.

...it doesn't seem to me that locals are all that concerned about the experience tourists are having on their vacations by the looks of this thread...
If this were true, "locals" would not spend HOURS on the DISBoards helping tourists plan for a wonderful experience. When actually IN the park, does anyone truly think about their fellow guests' experiences or is it looking out for our own that matters? (Beyond, basic safety, life threatening situations, etc....)

I also just want to add a vacation-planning thought. When DH and I planned our trip to WDW last October I asked a LOT of questions. It was a dream vacation for us, we had not been to WDW in 14 years, and we wanted it to be perfect. Not once did I ask, "Will it be crowded?" It's Disney World. It seemed to us that the question was rhetorical. We planned our ideal trip and never once discussed dealing with crowds. Once we got there, we adjusted accordingly and had a blast, along with 10,000s of others. :goodvibes

- Dreams

I haven't chimed in too much on this thread thus far because I find that everyone else is making their points quite well (and very articulately), no matter what 'side' of the AP holder /crowd controlissue they may support, and there is not too much else I can contribute without being redundant. I think this has been a fascinating discussion - one which has kept me glued to my chair, reading along with every post - and I hope that it can continue in such a diplomatic way where that the overall 'tone' of the thread as a whole does not make anyone feel persecuted or angry, and is not perceived to be imflammatory in any way. :goodvibes:goodvibes I agree that it is important to discuss what trends or cirsumstances may affect crowd levels at DLR, and I don't want to have to lock this thread because it starts getting too heated.:goodvibes

As it relates to AP price increases and overall perceived value of a DLR vacation/trip......

I was thinking recently about the ever-climbing prices of Goofy's Kitchen. Now, most of you know that I am a long-time (17-year) devotee of Goofy's Kitchen, but there is no getting around the fact that the prices are high and it makes a big dent in my wallet. When we used to eat there twice in one weekend trip, the breakfast buffet prices were in the range of $13.00 - $15.00 (and there may have even been a few more characters on duty in those days than there are now)!!! That's a far cry from today's 'off-peak' rates of $32 and change per adult!:scared1: Still, Goofy's is part of our overall DLR experience. It's a tradition that we seem to be maintaining even as the prices creep slowly up...up....up...and up again. Truth be told, if money were no object, we would probably still be eating there twice on every trip. We like it that much. So the other day I found myself wondering at what point would I consider the price to be too high to eat at Goofy's? Would it be too expensive for us at, say, $40 for breakfast? $50? Would DLR dare to raise the Goofy's breakfast prices to over $50 in the next decade, and if they did, would we still eat there? And the answer was: I am not sure!! If something is such an important part of my/our overall DLR experience and has been for so long, I don't know if I could easily eliminate it from the agenda, even at a stratospheric price, but at some point reality would likely set in and hit me over the head to make me question if we were crazy to spend that much on breakfast.

However, along those lines....another integral part of my overall DLR experience has been to stay onsite. We have stayed onsite since 1987, and have never ventured offsite - neither to eat nor to sleep. Yes, I live in Los Angeles, a mere 45 - 90 minutes away from DLR, but I don't get to DLR all that often, unfortunately, nor does my friend and DLR 'partner in crime' who lives in Anaheim, 5 minutes away from DLR (she doesn't love DLR like I do)!! We could easily just go to our homes at the end of the night and not stay overnight anywhere. But to get the full DLR vacation experience and Disney immersion, staying at one of the 3 DLR hotels has become essential for us, not to mention it is very convenient in terms of providing a place for the mid-day rest breaks, and also, allowing us to extend our DLR trips over the course of a few days rather than a one-day trip...... BUT, I now find myself thinking that I am getting close to reaching my 'how expensive is too expensive' threshold in DLR hotel rates. As much as I LOVE staying onsite and as important as it has been to our DLR trips, the rates are now way too high without any kind of a PIN code offer or nifty AP rate to fall back on. Again, I suppose if money were NO object at all I would just plunk down my cash in a split second and not worry about whether or not the DLR hotels were too expensive. I would just do it - because I like to stay onsite, because it adds to the magic, because it enhances my experience, because it is convenient...all of those reasons. For right now, though, I am starting to consider off-site options JUST IN CASE there are no fabulous AP rates coming out for the times of year I want (October and December). They just may price me right out of being a loyal DLR hotel guest (which I think is what's happened with many guests)!!

So the reason I bring up Goofy's prices and my DLR hotel rate crisis is because it all ties into this discussion of the APs and the new price increase. How expensive is TOO expensive for the overall experience? I got VERY lucky in that I got my Premium AP last year for only $191 due to extra unused tickets I had sitting around, which I applied to the total price of the PAP. I didn't have to pay full price like other folks did, and because I got such a good deal on it, I haven't felt too 'guilty' about not being able to make it to DLR as much as I would have hoped to this year. If I had paid full price, I would have felt terrible about not getting to DLR often. For the number of days I spent in the park in 2008, the AP more than paid back the $191 I spent, PLUS, as Disney Dreams noted above, the discounts I got were a huge perk and lure for me. Applying 15% towards that hefty Goofy's bill was very helpful, and getting a fantastic AP rate for the PPH in December - right before Christmas - was amazing! Those things right there made me realize I made an excellent decision to get the PAP in the first place (I also used it for discounts on a couple of merchandise items too).

But, alas....AP renewal time draws near...October 2nd, to be exact. So far, the current hotel rates showing on the AP calendar for October are what I consider too expensive for me to even bother with if I got for Halloweentime. So off-site is looking mighty tempting at this point. As for whether or not I will renew the PAP.....Yes, I have some more unused tickets that I could apply to the overall price to renew and get another good deal, even with the heavy $40 hike, but I am not sure if I will. I had planned on likely having to pay full price, but maybe on the payment/installment plan. If I don't see any good AP hotel rates popping up for October, then that lessens my desire to want to renew the AP at all then. The $40 increase also lessens my desire to want to renew the AP. I am now in that quandary of, 'Is it worth it to renew at those prices? Is it worth to renew if I DON'T stay onsite and if I DON'T go to DLR too many times during the next year? Is it a good value overall - for me, personally - or have I just finally reached my threshold?' I don't know the answers yet. I feel that I am forced into having to now 'downsize' or minimize my own overall DLR experience because the prices are getting so lofty, but the wonderful, magical times I have had at DL/DLR since 1972 have been so immeasurable and incomparable in my life in different ways that it is hard to bring myself to the point of saying, "Okay...enough is enough..."

I think those people who reallllllllly needed the PAPs in the past will probably suck it up and buy the PAPs again, even at the new $429 price, because it will be worth it to them as a whole, and it is a great overall value. Maybe they will opt for the monthly payment plan, but they will do it. Others, I feel, will 'drop down' a notch to Deluxe, just to have something with which to obtain food and hotel discounts and fewer block out days, with the intention of upgrading down the road if necessary. I think the crowd problems DLR has been having in 2009 will be just as bad in 2010 because the lower level AP holders will still have the same block out days and will still flock to the parks at the same times (and World of Color is coming, so watch out!). If DLR thought that raising the PAP by $40 would cut down on crowds, I think they were wrong (maybe that was not even in their thought process, so I am just saying if). It may alienate a lot of folks and make them angry, but it won't do much to cut down on crowds in the big picture. In my opinion, all personal feelings about price increases aside, from a business standpoint, it would have made more sense (as Pink Budgie suggested) to just change the block out days on each SoCal AP - and the Deluxe AP - so they didn't coincide at all, OR make it more difficult to purchase an AP in the first place, either by raising the prices of all the APs substantially OR by eliminating the monthly payment option altogether (for all levels of AP) - or all of the above.

I don't normally reply to these threads but, wow ---
I've felt this way about the AP system for quite some time. There is no such thing anymore as a slow period at DL. As I've seen from my many attempts at trying to go when it's slower. It's hit or miss, luck to get a few days where it's slower. I do see this as because of locals with AP's.
It has been especially busy this year due to the 'free on your birthday' deal. The park and the lines at the ticket booths have felt the impact of this promotion.

Again I'm not trying to make this personal, I'm sure if I was a local I'd have an AP. But I think to be fair disney should do away with them (they obviously stayed open before they had them!).

Actually, I remember in the late 70's when Disneyland was closed Monday - Wed. Then they were closed Monday and Tuesday. They found a way to fill the park, and I'm sure it was partly with the AP program.

As far as personal goes, it doesn't seem to me that locals are all that concerned about the experience tourists are having on their vacations by the looks of this thread either. I've expressed my opinion, and I'm not wanting to debate this further, so I'm done now. Good luck for those trying to plan around those with all AP's, quite the impossible task IMO. AP's will be in the park everyday of the year. We are wonderful Disney fans that want everyone to enjoy the happiest place on earth. And as far as I know none of us have AP Holder emblazoned on our forehead. If you encounter a rude guest, it is just as likely to be an entitled tourist that thinks Disney 'owes' them a magical, crowd free time.

Great post Califgirl:thumbsup2 I always wondered how everyone "knew" that it was AP holders that were the rude, obnoxious guests. So much of this is in an individuals attitude towards their experience. I adore Disneyland! Yes, I have run into rude people (and yes I have been cranky myself, at times), but overall everyone just wants to have fun and make memories with their family and friends. It is possible to plan around crowds (and AP holders). I try to share tips with people I see and talk with in line to make their experience a pleasant one. One other note about crowds, I have met some really great people while standing in those long lines.:cool1: It isn't always a bad thing. Happy planning, everyone!;)

When we go to $10+ a gallon gas, we'll all be thankful for the loyal locals. They might keep the parks on life support while the rest of us can't afford to travel.

/end of message.

Jack
Without hard data but lots of anecdotes, I think the percentage of SoCal local AP holders on this forum is much smaller than on a forum like MiceChat. So I think MiceChat better represents the thinking of SoCal local AP holders than this forum. I think DIS DLR's strength is the "out of area" visitor and those with substantial WDW experience. We are the people more likely to stay in DLR or good neighbor hotels for multi-day trips and to attend character meals, for example. :)

I don't normally reply to these threads but, wow ---
AP's will be in the park everyday of the year. We are wonderful Disney fans that want everyone to enjoy the happiest place on earth. And as far as I know none of us have AP Holder emblazoned on our forehead. If you encounter a rude guest, it is just as likely to be an entitled tourist that thinks Disney 'owes' them a magical, crowd free time.

I said nothing about rude guests. I said I understood why they'd want to go so often, and that I'd probably have an AP too if I was a local. I was expressing the concerns as a tourist though that can only go once a year, and how the crowds effect our vacation.

I was hoping the crowd issues could be discussed here, like it's being on other sites. Where they are discussing options in changing the AP programs, and many other options. Where opinions are being shared without people taking things so personally. Obviously I was mistaken, and won't be posting on this site again. Have a good evening!

Fastpass and getting there early HELPS. But it's still not anywhere near the same as if you could go during a more slow time. Not all rides have FP, and the experience is still dampered by the crowds. When you can't walk freely around without feeling like your in a herd of cattle, and can't shop because it's wall to wall people. Or you have to sit down for something HOURS before hand to get a decent seat. All factors.

So you have your choice of when to go, just like AP holder do. Actually, tourists have more freedom with their dates because they're not blocked out sometimes. Anyway, you are right, the off season is great if you want an empty park and less crowds. The thing is the off season has its fair share of issues too: ride refurbs, very short park hours, limited entertainment (where instead of sitting for 2 hours for a good Fantasmic seat, it's not even showing). Those are the offseason's downsides. The major downside of the peak season is obviously the crowds. That would not change if APs were taken away. There would still be much longer lines in July than September.

I said nothing about rude guests. I said I understood why they'd want to go so often, and that I'd probably have an AP too if I was a local. I was expressing the concerns as a tourist though that can only go once a year, and how the crowds effect our vacation.

I was hoping the crowd issues could be discussed here, like it's being on other sites. Where they are discussing options in changing the AP programs, and many other options. Where opinions are being shared without people taking things so personally. Obviously I was mistaken, and won't be posting on this site again. Have a good evening!

Saying that local AP holders don't care about your experience in the parks makes it sound like you think they are rude. I'm sorry that you seem to be taking things so personally. To not post on this site again because people are not agreeing with you? I also really am sorry that you have not been able to use the tips provided by DIS members to make your Disney experience what you want it to be. Unfortunately there are crowds during summer, spring, and winter breaks, and that has to be taken into consideration when planning to go during those times.

I agree with many pp's who ask...how on earth do you know it's the AP holders that are rude? That one made me litterally laugh out loud. I can sit here and argue that certain tourist feel like they are entitled the their perfect disney vacation which means low prices and no crowds. That just isn't possible. I would be mean to go on and say that perhaps the ones who are rude are the ones who feel they have the right since they spent 1000's of dollars to be there and I didnt. But I wont go there because that isn't what this post is about.

Yes they need to rethink their blockout day strategy. But I also think people need to realize that the ap holders are visiting when they aren't able to and we are keeping disneyland in business...because as dreams seems to need to keep reminding everyone, it is a business! And all businesses need to make money. If crowds aren't your thing then go to knotts, go to legoland...find a place that fits your crowd expectations. To say that you want disneyland to have a time when it is "dead" is just ridiculous...they would be losing money. Then there would be more cutbacks. Then there would be more complaining from their guests. Sometimes we all just need to take a deep breath and realize that it's disney...they aren't perfect. But it is a great place to visit and enjoy your time.

I've been think about this AP thing (should they or shouldn't they have them). I don't think that I have been to any theme park that did not have APs or season passes (if park is not open year round). For many years, I was a season pass holder at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO (Country Music Show Capital of the World). What I found about season pass holders was that we filled in the gap when it wasn't busy. Yeah, we went when it was busy sometimes, but mostly we went when it wasn't "High" tourist season. While I know that some AP holders come on the weekends, I do not think that this is always the case, or you would have 800,000 people in DL every weekend. There are some that come on the weekends, and some that come when the schools are out. Note: MANY of the area schools are on the Track system. There are always kids out. Yes, many AP holders will come out for new things; especially, when there is a deadline before a lengthy blockout period. I was there last Oct. for the AP preview of IASW. Where were the AP people? Not there because we walked on several times. I think that the mad rush for the "Nighttastic" fiasco was Disney's fault and not the AP holders. I think that this was a fluke. While there are many local AP holders, I do not believe that they are always "flooding" the park. It is summer time. There are a lot of people traveling. If you don't want to go when there is a "flood" of people, don't go during spring break, summer, or other holiday seasons, including Oct for Halloween.

On topic I also wanted to point out that some of the ex-slow periods changed because of Disney's desire to draw in the crowds. Look at another common question on the boards these days, that question is "should I come for Halloween?". In the old days no one thought to come in October, you either came in the Summer or waited till Nov/Dec. This made the months after "traditional" schools all went back in session super slow, until the holiday breaks and the decorations went back up.

DLR saw a change in how many schools in the area and in other states (isn't it called Utah days or something similar?) were getting Fall breaks and decided to try expanding to include the HMH which later grew and grew until we have this years major Halloween events. The fact that October is busy now a days just makes sense. Tourists, AP's and day trippers all want to come see the new limited time activities, and who can blame them!

I think that these activities are a bonus and a curse, dead times get special treatments and they become prime time. As much as I hate the crowds I have to say some of the treatments and new activities are just too great to stay away from seeing and 10,000's of people seem to agree with me.

DL tried something in early spring with SM and CS with changing up the music, it did ok, I think if they can find something better to draw crowds in that time frame we will see something there too.

Well, To prove to people about the AP affect on Disneyland...

We can see Toy Story Mania Ride. Ofc, i work DCA as many of you know, so i pass that ride plenty of times a day...

Yesterday, Friday... the line was like maybe 50-60min long, the entire queue was filled up but the extended queue wasnt used.

Today, Saturday, the line was like maybe 20-30 mins long, and about 2 lines of the queue was actually used.

It seems like a lot of people have Deluxe passes. It felt slow today too.

However, i do not go over to Disneyland that much so i dont know if the same situation applies there...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter