The Rumor Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I agree, but secondly, the point made to me is valid. I would bet dollars to donuts that costs on construction would drop hugely if they don't have to worry about constraints and can fully move to construction. Only time will tell though

Fully agree - and I definitely think they could keep working on and move faster on things already in construction (so I could see things like Tron and Guardians getting done faster than original timelines.

I just doubt they will start new projects, so I think that big festival center tower thing and the mary poppins stuff is delayed if not cancelled. Big question is if they go ahead with Spaceship earth or not

Interesting. I always thought they should have just closed DHS to get it in shape. Keeping Epcot closed to finish things makes sense.
At this point if a closure is months, not weeks, I don’t see the parks opening back up in full capacity in any way since it will probably take a LONG while for guest to come back and fully enjoy the park.

a lot of families are going to see their savings destroyed as jobs are lost, businesses are closed and not have the money to reschedule their cancelled Disney vacation any time soon.

It would be interesting to see IF Epcot does stay closed what will happen with Wine & Dine as that sold out in hours and RunDisney will already be dealing with Rival Run being cancelled

It would be interesting to see IF Epcot does stay closed what will happen with Wine & Dine as that sold out in hours and RunDisney will already be dealing with Rival Run being cancelled
I don't see any way why they would keep Epcot closed longer than needed.

WDWMagic's Epcot forum is hot with rumors that Epcot may stay closed after the other 3 parks reopen, perhaps for several months. Presumably to accelerate construction while minimizing costs to TWDC.

VERY much an unfounded rumor at this point.
Strikes me as borderline nuts. Once it's safe to reopen, they desperately need to get the money flowing again. That would make no sense to me at all.

Strikes me as borderline nuts. Once it's safe to reopen, they desperately need to get the money flowing again. That would make no sense to me at all.
Depends on if the demand is there. If there's not enough demand as the economy recovers, it'd be better to spread the crowds between 3 parks rather than pay for operation of 4 and see low attendance.

Of course they would need to right now. This is my first visit to DIS since all of this hit, but I can't understand why anyone would expect any different -- did they?
I believe some thought disney would continue and maybe accelerate prior to the latest law changes to limit amount of people in an area.

Depends on if the demand is there. If there's not enough demand as the economy recovers, it'd be better to spread the crowds between 3 parks rather than pay for operation of 4 and see low attendance.
So they will refund 25% of your ticket or AP price..right...:rolleyes:

Of course they would need to right now. This is my first visit to DIS since all of this hit, but I can't understand why anyone would expect any different -- did they?
So many Facebook threads saying if they work to fix all the issues they were having in magic Kingdom in early Feb + Epcot referb + fix the yeti it would be magical

I’m a realist and have been saying expect a 4-6 month delay on all In progress projects with ones announced/not started yet potentially delayed indefinitely or even scrapped

I don't see any way why they would keep Epcot closed longer than needed.
I would have agreed with you, but with all construction now on hold, they will be far behind, and they have a whole lot to do yet in Epcot. I also think that attendance will be really low for a while, due to lack of funds for folks to go to WDW. Could have the "perfect storm" to allow them to do this.

People will be hesitant to travel for quite some time due to both health and financial concerns. Keeping Epcot closed would be a positive cash flow move for them, as the same people that were planning to go still would, just to the other three parks, and they wouldn't incur operating costs at Epcot. This actually makes a ton of sense until crowd levels get to the point where they overwhelm the other three parks. My guess is it would be Q4 at the earliest before that would happen.

I would have agreed with you, but with all construction now on hold, they will be far behind, and they have a whole lot to do yet in Epcot. I also think that attendance will be really low for a while, due to lack of funds for folks to go to WDW. Could have the "perfect storm" to allow them to do this.

would be really interesting if they do that - in some ways it would make sense - just really focus there and accelerate the work, at least to the entrance work, get that done, and get Guardians done, etc. ....

Just would be such a new concept I don't know if they would do it, but clearly we are in unique times so who knows

But hard to see them not having EPCOT open for Food & Wine Festival .... so maybe they target that - keep EPCOT closed until mid-August

Epcot is just such a huge cash cow for them, especially during festivals. Summer is undoubtedly the "low season" for Epcot. Its a very empty park and all of the work in Future World is going to exacerbate that further.
I can see 2 scenarios going forward: 1. Only the Showcase stays open during the summer while they work on the front of the park. Disney offers some sort of discounted ticket option for Epcot and the park is only open after 10 or 11AM so they can continue to take in money from all of the restaurants and mech (Maybe guests on a one park per day ticket can get in for free after 4pm).
2. Disney closes Epcot for the summer until the start of Food and Wine and works around the clock to finish projects in progress only (Poppins is cancelled... SSE sees a light refurb and opens in time for Holiday 2020)

Construction is on hold everywhere. Why would they keep Epcot closed longer with all the money it brings in with food and beverage? Especially festivals. If they do it I’ll eat my words but I can’t see them keeps Epcot closed. They would have to discount tickets then.

Construction is on hold everywhere. Why would they keep Epcot closed longer with all the money it brings in with food and beverage? Especially festivals. If they do it I’ll eat my words but I can’t see them keeps Epcot closed. They would have to discount tickets then.
Because we keep assuming they will keep bringing in money with Food and wine. We are getting into some unprecedented areas here. Assuming this runs(if lucky) til May/June before we get things open and running again, most families won't have the free capital to do a visit to WDW or do travel period. Add to that some will have had to burn vacation time with missed work to get paid, they may not have the leave time. I am not saying this will happen. I am saying we are in a time where this COULD be a possibility, if Disney decides the benefit outways the hurt.

Honestly, I am not an often traveler, so I won't go to WDW again, until 2023 or so anyway, to miss the crowds for the 50th and for all the construction currently planned to be completed.

But, depending on WHEN folks are free to move around again, and due to lack of $$$$ and or time off, it may BE more advantageous for Disney to take the extra 2-3 months with no one in the park to advance construction.

Because we keep assuming they will keep bringing in money with Food and wine. We are getting into some unprecedented areas here. Assuming this runs(if lucky) til May/June before we get things open and running again, most families won't have the free capital to do a visit to WDW or do travel period. Add to that some will have had to burn vacation time with missed work to get paid, they may not have the leave time. I am not saying this will happen. I am saying we are in a time where this COULD be a possibility, if Disney decides the benefit outways the hurt.

Honestly, I am not an often traveler, so I won't go to WDW again, until 2023 or so anyway, to miss the crowds for the 50th and for all the construction currently planned to be completed.

But, depending on WHEN folks are free to move around again, and due to lack of $$$$ and or time off, it may BE more advantageous for Disney to take the extra 2-3 months with no one in the park to advance construction.
Disney is already cutting things to save money. They aren’t going to leave a theme park empty that could bring in money.

Like I said then you have either redo your tickets or discount them which tickets is something disney rarely discounts. They would have to get rid of and/or refund people who bought the four day magic tickets too. Those give you one entry to each park. It’s a messy thing if they were to do such. I guarantee you it would hurt the Epcot resorts too. DVC members and cash guests stay in those rooms many times specifically for Epcot. Keeping it closed is a slippery slope I don’t think disney wants to deal with.

Disney is already cutting things to save money. They aren’t going to leave a theme park empty that could bring in money.

Like I said then you have either redo your tickets or discount them which tickets is something disney rarely discounts. They would have to get rid of and/or refund people who bought the four day magic tickets too. Those give you one entry to each park. It’s a messy thing if they were to do such. I guarantee you it would hurt the Epcot resorts too. DVC members and cash guests stay in those rooms many times specifically for Epcot. Keeping it closed is a slippery slope I don’t think disney wants to deal with.

I completely forgot about those 4 park magic tickets. Yeah They will have to keep Epcot Open even if Future World is one big detour. They arent gonna wanna give back money/ refund tickets once the resort reopens.

I completely forgot about those 4 park magic tickets. Yeah They will have to keep Epcot Open even if Future World is one big detour. They arent gonna wanna give back money/ refund tickets once the resort reopens.

if there is any positive out of this, hopefully they can kinda get the center part of EPCOT done while things are closed or at least make it seem like less of a mess.

There are attractions and things to occupy people. Even just in the Land pavilion there is a lot to do and a lot of things in good shape - heck, if crowds are down maybe they just keep that side of Future World open and let them finish Guardians and Space 220 and stuff, while not taxing Test Track which always has issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter