The Running Thread—2023

Not to interrupt the lovely QOTD flow, but I have a question. It may be a bit TMI. I picked up some Liquid IV a few weeks ago to try and have been drinking it with water once a day to pre-hydrate. It makes me immediately have to pee six thousand times, starting about halfway through the glass! I will use Tailwind for the actual race, but was considering Liquid iV pre-race. Knowing how my body reacts, I'm worried about using it pre-race and getting stuck in the corral without a porta nearby.

I get that this is the point of the product, but other hydration products don't produce this same result. Is this just my weird issue or does anyone else have this reaction to Liquid IV? Should I just take it earlier? Or maybe use it post-race or mid-day instead?

I drink Liquid IV on mornings before I run. Usually about 45-60 min pre training run and about 120 min before races. It doesn’t give me any urges to urinate upon drinking, and hasn’t made any changes to my urination routine compared to days I don’t drink it.

Nothing too substantial, but getting back to running. After having a baby in fall 2021, it took awhile to get back into the groove of running. Also taking said baby out for stroller runs this summer was both motivating and exhausting. Look forward to more of those.

ATTQOTD: I'm happy to say I was injury free in 2022, but what I'm most proud of is consistent training despite it being a very busy year. It was also "the year of travel" with several weeks/weekends away from home and somehow I still managed to get the training in to complete several races, including two half marathons, a 25K, the Chicago Marathon, and many smaller races along the way.

Ooooooooo sooooo anyone else tempted to go from WDW MW straight to DL HMW?!?! Also excited to see that Club rD Registration date under the DL race. I'm guessing/hoping that confirms my status gets me early access to those too!

How many miles do you like to have on a pair of shoes heading into a marathon?

I'm guessing it might vary depending on if you've had that type of shoe before? For example, I've had a number of pairs of Brooks Adrenaline 22s. I just purchased a new pair. I've run in the new shoes a few times and they feel the same as my other Brooks Adrenaline 22s.

I'm guessing it might vary depending on if you've had that type of shoe before? For example, I've had a number of pairs of Brooks Adrenaline 22s. I just purchased a new pair. I've run in the new shoes a few times and they feel the same as my other Brooks Adrenaline 22s.
For an A race, I like to have about 1-2 times the race distance. I use my race shoes for a long run and a few short runs a few weeks before the race, and then save them for race day.

If the shoe is the same version and model I’ve used before, I like to get one or two short to mid distance runs in them just to make sure there were no manufacturing variances or defects in the new pair. In a pinch, though, I’ve pulled a brand new pair off the shelf and used them in a half before.

I busted out my new pair of shoes on Monday for MW on Sunday. They were the same shoe i was training in. I guess that makes me like @camaker, wear them a few times to make sure no issues.
Sounds like I am in line with most of you. I'll have about 25 miles or so on my shoes come Sunday's marathon. I've had two other pairs of this exact model and nine other pairs including previous year models. The new ones feel the same as the others did and no noticeable defects.

I agree with @camaker that the same model/size can usually just be pulled out of the box in a pinch. But usually means exceptions and I had one last week. And pun intended, the first short run of my new shoes resulted in my foot hurting from a spot in the shoe pinching during the run. The second and third runs in them were absolutely fine and I found no odd manufacturing snafus. I'm going to wear them this week for the half. Weird, but I'm glad I got in that one hurting run before the actual race.

If it is a model I had before, two or three outings totalling about 10 miles are usually enough. Maybe a bit more if it is a new model year or a variation (model+1 or light/stitch vs the normal version).

ATTQOTD re: accomplishments for 2022
I actually raced most of one of my races this year. And I did a good job, overall, of sticking to my training.

Attqotd re: shoes
My feet/ankles are weird about lacing and it can take 5ish runs before I figure out where the sweet spot is in the new laces for tightening and tying them

ATTQOTD: Similar to everybody else. I usually plan to put maybe 10-20 miles on before the race. If it's a "special" shoe I bought just for that race (like a carbon plate or something) I will run a shorter race, like a 10k or 10 miler, in them before to make sure it's ok when I'm running hard.

ATTQOTD: Considering I discovered last week that my shoes I had planned on wearing for the HM had worn a hole in the side padding that was now rubbing my ankle and had to go buy a new pair (same make/model), the answer is 3.6 miles. At least I got one run in them before this weekend :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter