The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: my #1 goal: don’t melt running Springtime Surprise 😂🫠
Goal #2: try not to skip any runs, but that’s kind of weather-dependent, since winter won’t let go of MN (there were snowflakes on my run today, and we might get 4-7 inches tomorrow night)

ATTQOTD: Build up to a full summer of racing. I have a 10-miler (CARA Chicago) in April, leading to a HM (Run the Bluegrass) and another 10-miler (Soldier Field 10 M). June is not finalized, but probably Run the South HM in Charlotte.

QOTD- what do I bring- Garmin, phone, headphones, chapstick, tissues on pretty much every run. If it's hot or more than 4 miles I bring a handheld water bottle and enough salt chews for 1 per mile. If I'm doing 6 or more I bring enough gels to have 1 every 3 miles.

QOTD- April goals- stick with my plan for a 5K in mid-May. Get to the gym for strength (been saying this since January, lol).

March Running:
Total Distance: 119.5 miles
Average Pace: 10:50/mi
Following a DopeyBadger training plan for the Broad St. 10 miler the end of the month... Right after I responded to some question on here, how I rarely miss a training run, I really cut back on at least 2 workouts due to weekend travel. Otherwise sticking to it and feeling good. Annoyingly, my new Garmin watch that gives me way more feedback than my basic Forerunner 45, keeps telling me my training is Maintenance and not Productive, no matter how well I stick to my plan. I feel like I'm working hard! I kind of feel like it overestimated by VO2Max when I put the watch on, and now everything just seems like I'm maintaining based on that? Trying not to let the judgment of a non-sentient chip on my wrist get to me :crazy:

ATTQOTD: I'm running the Broad Street Run on April 30, so I guess my goal this month is getting ready for that!

Well the good news is the bold text situation seems to have resolved itself! Thats something to celebrate!!!

QOTD: What are your running / fitness goals for April?

ATTQOTD: I started doing some easy weight lifting this week and would like to continue doing so during April and beyond. My main goal is to have my knee feeling well enough to start c25k towards the end of the month.
ATTQOTD: I have the Martian Invasion of Races 10k (Dearborn, MI) on April 15. I have been training my buns off (🤣) to achieve a finish time of 54 minutes (my PR on this course from last year sits at 58 minutes). I am selfishly shooting for this goal to use it as PoT for Princess Weekend 2024. One week later, I have the Glass City Half Marathon in Toledo, OH. Excited for that, hoping for a PR but happy to use it as a training run if the stars don't align. Running about 30-35 miles per week now and it's going well. 💜 🤞

ATTQOTD: to do something. To get my butt up and do the gosh darn workouts, and suck it up, put the toddler in the stroller, and go for a run. (The alternative is to get up between 4 and 5am and that's equally horrific IMO.) To quantify it: 40miles and 10 workouts. That's the goal.

March running: Started a Level 1 half plan (part of attempt at "ego-free" training). Did NOT run one bit on my trip to Amsterdam, but pretty much had 20,000+ steps every day--it's a very easy city to walk.

April goal: Keep on, keepin' on. I head to Boston to visit DD and volunteer at Marathon expo. Gives me a chance to run over to my alma mater (Tufts) and also run a few hills (which I abhor, but know that I need to do---sorta like eating vegetables)

ATTQOTD: I have the ten miler (my first ten miler without doing a half), and I haven't gone beyond a 10K in years. My goal is just to finish, and then take a break. I've been training non-stop since summer 2021, and both my coach and I agree I need a break from running. There is a core program with Peloton I'd like to do as I take a step back from running.

March 2023
Running Distance: 0 miles
Running Time: 0:00:00
Traditional Strength Training Time: 8:08:42
Core Training: 1:42:51
Kickboxing: 3:01:10
HIIT: 1:37:16
Yoga: 4:40:12

This experiment might prove to be disastrous, but I'm all in nonetheless. I felt my best and strongest overall when I used to incorporate kickboxing into my strength training. However, I was afraid that I would get an overuse injury if I continued running and added in kickboxing. At the beginning of the year, I planned on focusing on my base training following the Princess HM Weekend since I felt like I never had a true base building period. I went through a mid-life crisis and decided that I NEEDED to run the Disney World marathon, so I jumped in with both feet without having that initial period of building a proper base for MW 2022. Hence, following Princess Weekend I decided to give my legs a rest from running and let them adapt to kickboxing and mobility work. Now, is the time to get back to running and incorporate kickboxing into a base building training plan. This should either be fun or an absolute disaster. Either way, I'm curious what the result will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter