The Running Thread—2023

QOTD: I would guess we have folks in this thread of various ages and abilities so todays question may not pertain to everyone. What I wanted to ask is anyone who is running has a health condition that they are allowed to run but need to pay attention incase something creeps up or could happen. Things like asthma, seizures, cardio, ect...

ATTQOTD: Since I brought it up I'll put my personal business out there. A little over a year ago I got to take a little trip to the ER because I was in Afib. As of today it has only happened once and my doctor has cleared me for running. However, he advised getting a Apple watch that monitors for it and will alert me if I go into it. If it does happen I have a series of medication to take that would hopefully get things back into a normal rhythm without a ER trip. So this is my biggest concern as I get ready to get back to it. I think once I redo the first of this distance and that distance, I will worry less about it but will always kinda have that what if in the back of my mind.

I wish SOMEONE would have told me about this before it was too late.

My bad buddy, glad to see you come out of lurking status and start posting lol. I will try to remember to inform you of other things that can help prevent issues lol.

ATTQOTD: I get exercise-induced asthma, but it's the weirdest thing: It only kicks in when I get very emotional either during or just after a strenuous run. Can be positive or negative emotion. I really should bring an inhaler when I race, but I don't ever need an inhaler in my day-to-day life so I don't usually have my prescription filled.

Last time this was a problem was about a year and a half ago. I talked about it a lot on here already, but I had a long-term goal of running a marathon in under 5 hours. I was pretty sure I would achieve it at the 2021 Philadelphia Marathon, after many attempts, and I thought about filling my prescription for the inhaler and bringing it, in case I got too happy and excited if I met my goal, and I could get into serious trouble with my breathing. But I didn't. About mile 16-17 of the race, I turned the corner to where there were a lot of spectators cheering, and looking at my watch, I could see I was most definitely going to reach my time goal. Asthma started kicking in so I had to control my emotions. Mile 20: Turnaround with a lot of spectators, again my airways start closing so I shoo any excitement out of my mind. Finally, I finished my race, and I described it in too much detail here at the time, but Aliphine Tuliamuk was at the finish line and she gave me my medal and even chatted with me for a few minutes! The combination excitement of meeting my longstanding goal and getting to talk to a hero of mine at that moment was too much and I really almost had a serious emergency as I stumbled away from her. I had no inhaler, no nothing and my airways almost completely closed up. I spent at least 5 minutes just gasping for air. Thankfully DH found me and we just had to sit for a while as I collected myself emotionally. That was scary because I stupidly left the official finish area and was just sitting in a field when it got really bad.

Next time I have a high-stakes (haha I know none of this is really high-stakes, but high-stakes for me) race, I am definitely going to remember to get a rescue inhaler. At the least I should make sure I put my asthma info on my emergency info on the back of my race bibs.

ATTQOTD: I’ve been diagnosed with exercise induced anaphylaxis and it’s exactly as scary as it sounds 😧. Fortunately, I’ve only experienced anaphylaxis once. Unfortunately, despite multiple allergen tests, we have no idea what triggered it. This means there’s nothing I can do to avoid it and I spend more time than most wondering if my hands are swelling and/or itchy while running.

Officially, I’m supposed to avoid eating before my runs, run with a buddy, and carry epinephrine. I slowly reintroduced foods back into my pre run hours because marathon training and not eating don’t go well together. I also run with my phone instead of a buddy. The epinephrine is still around though and that combined with my phone is a big reason why I’m such a fan of pockets 😁.

ATTQOTD: I have a heart arrhythmia. I manage pretty well with it but the medications I am on make running a bit complicated sometimes. If I’m having a rough day with it, my breathing can be really difficult to control on a run. I also have to be really careful with hydration which is difficult in summer but I’ve figured out a good system. So I just have to be mindful and cut myself some slack on those rough days and be thankful I can still run. I have an awesome Cardiologist who is also a runner so she gets it, all of it!

My DH was a saint this past year and ran Dopey with me to calm my doubts about finishing without incident. He had no desire to run a marathon but I was so thankful to have him by my side. Next year I’m letting him have his weekend and he’s doing the half while I do the full.

ATTQOTD: I have a heart arrhythmia. I manage pretty well with it but the medications I am on make running a bit complicated sometimes. If I’m having a rough day with it, my breathing can be really difficult to control on a run. I also have to be really careful with hydration which is difficult in summer but I’ve figured out a good system. So I just have to be mindful and cut myself some slack on those rough days and be thankful I can still run. I have an awesome Cardiologist who is also a runner so she gets it, all of it!

My DH was a saint this past year and ran Dopey with me to calm my doubts about finishing without incident. He had no desire to run a marathon but I was so thankful to have him by my side. Next year I’m letting him have his weekend and he’s doing the half while I do the full.
Having a doctor who is also a runner goes a long way. My ER doctor became my cardio guy by default. During one of my appointments I was asking how long would I need to take certain medications and what his thoughts are about running. He wanted me on medication for a year and no runs over 45 minutes. Neither of those are the responses I thought I would hear and very shortly after I found a cardio guy who is a runner. Main thing here is finding a doctor who understands your goals and if they say nope, then you just have to kinda live with it. Yet, if theres a way, the will tell you how.

Has anyone here every flown with their Theragun? I know I can't check it because of the battery, I checked their websites and they say it's at the discretion of TSA, and I did find a social media post by the TSA saying it is allowed. That being said I know all agents aren't exactly consistent so I was wondering if anyone has successfully taken it in their carry-on.

I wouldn't normally care that much but I've been dealing with a little bit of leg stiffness and I want to have it available before Boston if I can.

Has anyone here every flown with their Theragun? I know I can't check it because of the battery, I checked their websites and they say it's at the discretion of TSA, and I did find a social media post by the TSA saying it is allowed. That being said I know all agents aren't exactly consistent so I was wondering if anyone has successfully taken it in their carry-on.

I wouldn't normally care that much but I've been dealing with a little bit of leg stiffness and I want to have it available before Boston if I can.
I took mine last marathon weekend in my carry-on. (Through El paso and MCO)

we took our mini (off-brand) to MW this past January. And I think we took our bigger one the year before. Shouldn't be an issue.

ATTQOTD:
I have pre-ventricular contractions - more than normal. When I mentioned my Garmin’s extremely low resting heart rate to my doctor a couple years ago, the strange heart beats were happening while I was at his office, and he was able to do an EKG to confirm. The low heart rate was because the watch wouldn’t pick up the ‘early beat’ so it was skipping reading one. When I met with the cardiologist, after a Holter monitor test, it was determined that the PVC’s went away when I run. The cardiologist wasn’t really worried about it, so I can run. Probably something to keep an eye on as life continues.
Although somewhat recently diagnosed, it had probably been happening for years. I can usually tell when it’s happening if I’m paying attention. Right now, I think they are a little less frequent than they used to be. I did get an AppleWatch so I could see the rhythm when I thought they were happening.

So, I think I already know the answer to this question, but I wanted to get some feedback anyway, especially from @DopeyBadger.

As some of you know, I live in Orlando, aka "the outside is like a sauna at least six months out of the year." Today was my first hour-long run with my new Garmin and the ability to track my heart rate is fabulous! However, I wasn't running much faster than I usually do during my run intervals and even after I deliberately slowed my pace, my heartrate still creeped into Zone 3 every time I ran, forcing me to flip my intervals (from 60/30 to 30/60) to get it into Zone 2. I'm assuming this is because of the heat and humidity - am I right? I drink water when I run and try to run along a shady path in my neighborhood - is there anything else I can do to mitigate the heat? I don't mind switching to the treadmill for shorter runs but I really prefer the longer ones outside. I also can't run any earlier than I do, because I have to get my son ready for school. (And I cannot get up before 6 am or I will be a cranky monster all day.) So I guess what I'm wondering is, will the run still be beneficial to me if I keep doing 30/60 intervals during "hot as hell" season? (I am assuming yes, but I am self-conscious of my slow pace and really want to improve my fitness.) Or should I cap runs at 30 minutes during the summer and wait until it's more comfortable again to run longer?

Thanks for listening to my vent. :P

So, I think I already know the answer to this question, but I wanted to get some feedback anyway, especially from @DopeyBadger.

As some of you know, I live in Orlando, aka "the outside is like a sauna at least six months out of the year." Today was my first hour-long run with my new Garmin and the ability to track my heart rate is fabulous! However, I wasn't running much faster than I usually do during my run intervals and even after I deliberately slowed my pace, my heartrate still creeped into Zone 3 every time I ran, forcing me to flip my intervals (from 60/30 to 30/60) to get it into Zone 2. I'm assuming this is because of the heat and humidity - am I right? I drink water when I run and try to run along a shady path in my neighborhood - is there anything else I can do to mitigate the heat? I don't mind switching to the treadmill for shorter runs but I really prefer the longer ones outside. I also can't run any earlier than I do, because I have to get my son ready for school. (And I cannot get up before 6 am or I will be a cranky monster all day.) So I guess what I'm wondering is, will the run still be beneficial to me if I keep doing 30/60 intervals during "hot as hell" season? (I am assuming yes, but I am self-conscious of my slow pace and really want to improve my fitness.) Or should I cap runs at 30 minutes during the summer and wait until it's more comfortable again to run longer?

The best way to mitigate the heat is to slow down. Many of us use the combination of temperature and dew point (T+D) as a guide to how much we need to slow down. Beyond that, be sure to take in enough fluids in the heat, but there's not a lot to be done other than endure.

Here's the T+D calculation I use:
http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.com/2013/07/temperature-dew-point.html

I run 30/45 intervals all the time, so I would say, yes, it will still be beneficial

Yeah. When it’s super hot you’ll just be slower to have the same effort level. I think we are somewhat similar in pacing, so here’s an example of my pacing for different T+D (which you should do based on when your run ends….wunderground is a good weather site for this)

Attachments

• 7BDBC7BE-3DC9-4EDB-80C6-9400292C39D0.jpeg
    7BDBC7BE-3DC9-4EDB-80C6-9400292C39D0.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 11

In addition to what others have said already, remember that easy pace isn't supposed to be an indicator of your fitness. Emphasis on the EASY, not the pace 😆 You should use whatever pace/intervals feel easy to you, meaning your breathing is relaxed and smooth - no huffing and puffing! - you could speak in complete sentences or even sing a little, and you feel like you could keep going indefinitely.

Because easy is about effort rather than pace, lots of things will affect what your pace looks like from day to day. Weather, for sure, but also how you slept and whether you feel a little sniffly and if you might be running up or down a hill (probably not in Orlando lol). And just because your easy pace on a particular day, or even for the whole summer, might be slower, that doesn't mean you're less fit. It just means you're doing a good job recognizing what an easy effort looks like for you and sticking to it, no matter what the output (pace) says.

FFQOTD: If the Disney races did not have the "challenge" aspect to the races, specifically Marathon Weekend, do you think the races would fill up as fast as they currently do?

ATTQOTD: I do not have the numbers that show how many potential spots Dopey and Goofy take up for race weekend, but I think the extra challenge has driven more people to run a marathon and half marathon that otherwise would not have. Its great marketing by rundisney. Without these challenges I do not think race weekend would fill up as fast as it currently does.

The best way to mitigate the heat is to slow down. Many of us use the combination of temperature and dew point (T+D) as a guide to how much we need to slow down. Beyond that, be sure to take in enough fluids in the heat, but there's not a lot to be done other than endure.

Here's the T+D calculation I use:
http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.com/2013/07/temperature-dew-point.html

Thank you! This is helpful.

I run 30/45 intervals all the time, so I would say, yes, it will still be beneficial

Thank you. I really need to stop being insecure about intervals/pacing. I know easy running is the best way to improve fitness. But the competitive part of my brain keeps niggling at me. :P

Yeah. When it’s super hot you’ll just be slower to have the same effort level. I think we are somewhat similar in pacing, so here’s an example of my pacing for different T+D (which you should do based on when your run ends….wunderground is a good weather site for this)

Perfect. Thank you so much.

In addition to what others have said already, remember that easy pace isn't supposed to be an indicator of your fitness. Emphasis on the EASY, not the pace 😆 You should use whatever pace/intervals feel easy to you, meaning your breathing is relaxed and smooth - no huffing and puffing! - you could speak in complete sentences or even sing a little, and you feel like you could keep going indefinitely.

Because easy is about effort rather than pace, lots of things will affect what your pace looks like from day to day. Weather, for sure, but also how you slept and whether you feel a little sniffly and if you might be running up or down a hill (probably not in Orlando lol). And just because your easy pace on a particular day, or even for the whole summer, might be slower, that doesn't mean you're less fit. It just means you're doing a good job recognizing what an easy effort looks like for you and sticking to it, no matter what the output (pace) says.

I needed to hear this - thank you.

Surprisingly, there is a hill in my neighborhood and that's where my heart rate really spiked today. :D

FFQOTD: If the Disney races did not have the "challenge" aspect to the races, specifically Marathon Weekend, do you think the races would fill up as fast as they currently do?

ATTFFQOTD: I think removing the challenges would have a mixed impact. I think the 5k and 10k would continue to sell out quickly, as they appeal to a larger pool of both first time runners and Disney lovers. Now, there would certainly be a slowdown in the rate of the sell out due to adding ~8,000 bibs back into the available pool that are currently consumed by Dopey.

The half and marathon would likely drop off a bit in popularity and sales rate if the challenges were removed from the equation, but there would still be a population of runners that would do a diy Goofy or Dopey through individual registrations. I think that number would drop off, though, given the hassle of securing multiple registrations and the lack of hype around having a "named" challenge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter