The Running Thread—2023

I will second the Grand Tetons being amazing! My husband and I were there for ~10 days in August 2017 to view the total solar eclipse from just outside the Jackson Hole airport. (We had to fly home immediately after.) Too bad it was still so snowy for you with the Cascade Canyon hike - it was gorgeous in August. I agree that Jenny Lake is also amazingly beautiful. Somehow we managed to score a lakeside log to sit on for lunch with no one else around, and it may have been one of the most idyllic places I've ever been.

We popped over to part of Yellowstone for a day, but we need to go there for a full trip. Right now, giving it some recovery time after the historic flooding (was it last year?). But you got around ok?
The floods were last year, and all roads have been repaired (or temporarily replaced until they decide how they really want to route the north entrance road). Early season roads could still be closed for snow plowing.
I worked three summers and a winter in Yellowstone, so I’m loving all this talk!
Here are a couple pictures of some of the washed out sections of road - taken last fall. The new ‘old’ temporary road takes a route away from the river. IMG_2401.jpegIMG_2405.jpeg

I echo all the love for Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. They were our first post-covid vacation and made us start visiting as many national parks as we can.

Vacation Races holds a 5k and half near both parks every June. They are a week apart and they have a special challenge medal if you do all 4 races!
Photo while running the half...
View attachment 764169
How come you had to go and tell me that? That just seems beautifully fun

I echo all the love for Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. They were our first post-covid vacation and made us start visiting as many national parks as we can.

Vacation Races holds a 5k and half near both parks every June. They are a week apart and they have a special challenge medal if you do all 4 races!
Photo while running the half...
View attachment 764169
Now I really want to go!

May 2023 totals
Distance: 247.7km (154mi)
Average pace: 6m48s/km (10:55/mi)
YTD: 978km on 2023km

For me, this month was dedicated to training for and running the Tamarack Ottawa 59.2k Challenge 🥳

DD ran the Défi Pierre Lavoie mid-month which is basically a relay run with students between Quebec and Montreal 🥳

DH got a bib for the NYC Marathon in November, it will be his first 🥳

May running totals:
Total miles: 138.8
Average pace: 11:03/mile

17 days to go until the Garry Bjorkland Half Marathon! This training block has gone really well. I have a couple of little niggles, looking at you right hip, but overall I’m feeling good physically. Mentally I’m still battling imposter syndrome and a ton of self doubt. 🙁 I’ve got to get out of my head!

May 2023 totals

Distance: 125.65 km/78.1 miles
Duration: 14h52
Cross training, including yoga: 1h01

I had a great month of May. I PRd my 10k, finally breaking the 1 hour mark. I've been taking it easy since then.

I'm starting a new summer plan tomorrow which incorporates running and strength training. I'm also going to have a week off, since we're celebrating my 40th birthday with a little tour on the Wonder in Alaska at the end of June :)

May totals
Running: 0
Driving: 2,323 miles
States: 10
Nights in campgrounds or truck stops: 4 (not counting prep days)
Vehicles: 2
Campers: 1
U-Haul trailers: 1
Cats howling most of the drive: 2 (of the 6)
Exhausted people: 2

Edit to add a link to my training journal (which has become my moving journal) in case you're interested in reading recaps or watching my vlogs from the move: https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...ostume-addict-comments-welcome.3894756/page-7

Last edited:
May running totals:
Total miles: 138.8
Average pace: 11:03/mile

17 days to go until the Garry Bjorkland Half Marathon! This training block has gone really well. I have a couple of little niggles, looking at you right hip, but overall I’m feeling good physically. Mentally I’m still battling imposter syndrome and a ton of self doubt. 🙁 I’ve got to get out of my head!
The fact that you are training for this and going to do it means that you are way ahead of most. I get it about the imposter syndrome. I am a poster child for “does not look like a runner”. But I go and do it, and occasionally enjoy the shocked reactions when people see my shirts or hear me talking about it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter