The Running Thread - 2016

ATTQOTD: I tried the Adidas Boost shoes. All the reviews on line just raved about them and I thought I needed more cushioning. Ran in them exactly twice and hated them. Luckily our local running store will let you exchange shoes if they've only be run in a couple of times and are still clean, so I was at least able to recoup the big bucks I spent on them to get back into the shoes I like.

This weekend we have the following folks with races:

31 - @GreatLakes - Great New Years Eve Race (NG / N/A)
31 - @michigandergirl - Wolverine Resolution Run 4 Mi (NG / N/A)
31 - @Flossbolna - Nuremberg New Years Eve Run 5k (Nürnberger Silvesterlauf 5km) (35:00 / N/A)

January 2017
01 - @dmross - Ring In Races (NG / N/A)
01 - @Anisum - One-One Run (36:00 / NA)

If you would like to revise your goal or have any changes for your race this weekend, just let me know and I will make the changes. Best of luck to each of you!

Also, this will be the last post for race weekends in this thread since the new year is approaching. I hope to have the new thread started on 1/2 or 1/3 depending on how work is going. All races from January 2017 plus those that others have already let me know about will appear on the OP of the new running thread at that time. If all goes well, the second post on the new thread will link all the new QOTD's as a helpful guide for anyone wanting to go back to a certain topic of for any lurkers or new forum members to access info... At least thats the thought for now.

Good luck to all the racers and thanks again @LSUlakes for all the work you do on this thread to keep it lively, inviting and fun!!! Sending lots of good vibes your way for the ultrasound.

QOTD: Did you receive any cool running or Disney related gift that you would like to tell us about?
ATYQOTD: A retro Darkwing Duck T-shirt and some much appreciated running socks that are better suited to the colder weather
QOTD: Do you have or had a piece of running gear (could be shoes, clothes, hydration system, lights, fuel, ect.) that you heard great things about and tried out, only to find that it simply just did not work for you?

ATTQOTD: I couldn't do Sports Beans. The texture and the flavor both made me crazy. If I chewed them, they were stuck in my teeth for the rest of the run. If I sucked on them, it felt like I had rocks in my mouth. Either way, the flavor lingered in an unpleasant way. It sounded like a great idea, but clearly it wasn't a good fit for me.

ATTQOTD:
-Running socks: I get close to blistering despite feetures and balegas. I think it's because there's a blister trying to form under my giant callus at the ball of my foot. But I love the socks otherwise. I've never blistered on my runs, but always blister on my half races.
-Race toggles: places the bib uncomfortably low.
-Cheap headlamp: horrible light output and died after 2 runs.
-Brooks ghost/Mizuno waverider: need more cushion. Brooks glycerin are ok, but nothing beats my Asics Nimbus. Wish they weren't so expensive!

I'm not sure if they work or not, it's just that I bought them and haven't tried them yet:
-hand held hydration bottle: still didn't use it, even on my 15 mile run
-tailwind: haven't carried fluids so no liquid fuel for me

QOTD: Do you have or had a piece of running gear (could be shoes, clothes, hydration system, lights, fuel, ect.) that you heard great things about and tried out, only to find that it simply just did not work for you?

ATTQOTD: I was having some pain in my feet and people kept telling me to try a pair of HOKAS, so I did. For a short time they felt fine, but they just didnt work out for me. I only got about a third of the mileage I normally do out of shoes and I think they ended up causing more problems than they solved.

Side Note: Today we have our first ultrasound and DW is extra nervous. If yall could say a little prayer for us I would appreciate it.

Eep, good luck! Hoping for the best update ever! Is this your first?

ATTQOTD: Not really highly recommended, but I get so hungry while running, I thought I'd try one of those waffles in addition to my gels. Blecchhh. It had a decent flavor but it was so dry and crumbly, I could barely choke it down.

ATTQOTD: I am a huge gadget geek person in all things, so buying gadgets/accessories for running is right up my alley. Thankfully most of them have worked out pretty well. Some gadgets that I use regularly and love, other than the obvious Garmin, are my Jaybird wireless earbuds, my Scosche Rhythm+ armband HRM, and now my Tracer360 glow in the dark vest (once I managed to figure out how to adjust the straps so that it didn't keep falling down my shoulders). I even wore it on Christmas Eve morning for our group run. :) It was a gray and gloomy day, and I was wearing a Santa hat, so I also put on the vest and set it to the green setting. :D In the shoe and clothing departments, my experiments with Altra shoes and Sparkle Skirts have also been great, love them both. In the fuel department, Huma gels were also a good experiment, love them.

The only one that I can think of that did not work out off the top of my head is my Nightrunner 270 shoe lights. I got them for a Christmas gift last year from my SO, but did not really do any dark running over the winter/spring. I mainly wanted them for either dark running in the summer, which I didn't end up doing, or dark running in the later fall/early winter, so I never actually used them until that first run I did with my new Wednesday night running group the day before Thanksgiving. Well, one of them didn't turn on! And they weren't really as illuminating as I had hoped, so I was glad to also have a headlamp on. I only had the one that was on, but the light throw was not really very far ahead of me, although maybe it just needed to be adjusted a little. I think it's still not as good as a headlamp though. I think it's probably too late at this point to try and get a replacement for the one that doesn't even work since it's been a year now. Womp womp.

Edit: Oh, reading the other posts, I'll add Race Dots to the list, kinda sorta... I'm on the fence. :) The magnetic bib holders. I do really like mine, but they are difficult to get put on. And one of mine rusted, so I need to get a new set because it keeps leaving marks on my shirts.

Side Note: Today we have our first ultrasound and DW is extra nervous. If yall could say a little prayer for us I would appreciate it.

Did I miss that you were having a baby or is this a medical diagnosis ultrasound? Good luck either way. The first baby ultrasound is pretty cool.

A fuel belt. I discovered that I much prefer holding a bigger, heavier handheld bottle than having a fuel belt around my waist.

That is my answer as well. I borrowed a fuel belt from someone I know and didn't even make it off my street. I hated all that movement around my waist. Unless I'm doing a trail or it is very hot and I'm not doing a route past one of the drinking fountains near my house I don't carry water but I do have two handheld Nathan bottles for when I need to. Even long runs I try to incorporate the water fountains or place a bottle in the mail box and swing back past the house if I can.

So far, the SpiBelt I got at Wine & Dine. I think I haven't figured out the exact magical "setting" I need for it, because the thing rides up and moves around like crazy. :confused3 Also HammerGel...the texture was so disgusting I almost tossed my cookies.

Good luck with the ultrasound!

ATTQOTD: The list is long!
- water bottles that go in my skirt pocket. I can't stand the "sloshing!"
- Running Buddy pouch. I loved the idea of it but in reality I hit it with my elbow and it also drags down my capris.
- Nike Free. They are a minimalist shoe and caused me many months of tendonitis!
- Gu's or any gel. Blech!
- fuel belt. Can't stand things around my waist when I run.

>>> The weather forecasts from Weather Channel and Accuweather for WDW weekend are (as a runner might describe them) wildly off from one another. Weather.com has what could be considered a near nightmare scenario. The Accuweather forecast approaches ideal conditions for attempting that time goal during the big one. Thoughts?

I saw the same thing and thought the same exact thing. Complete opposite forecasts! I know it is crazy to check this early but that's what I do, lol! I never said I wasn't crazy. :)

@LSUlakes Good luck and prayers to you and your wife today! :)

So far, the SpiBelt I got at Wine & Dine. I think I haven't figured out the exact magical "setting" I need for it, because the thing rides up and moves around like crazy. :confused3
In my experience, that is just what it does if you have anything with any kind of weight to it in there. :) I have found that if you wear it in the back, if you have some padding on your back end, then that keeps it from flopping around as much because it kind of sits on your butt. When I have my keyfob for my car and my phone in there, though, I cannot wear it on the front or it flops all over the place.

In my experience, that is just what it does if you have anything with any kind of weight to it in there. :) I have found that if you wear it in the back, if you have some padding on your back end, then that keeps it from flopping around as much because it kind of sits on your butt. When I have my keyfob for my car and my phone in there, though, I cannot wear it on the front or it flops all over the place.

I've found the best place to wear my SPI belt to keep it from bouncing when it's fully loaded is on my hip. For some reason, it bounces less there than if it's against my back.

I have a cheap walmart version of a spibelt I got for my first race that I was going to be at by myself (aka, no hubby or family member to hold my keys, etc.) And it just wasn't for me. I think it was way too loose and baggy. I'd have to get a better fitting something if I were going to do that again for longer race. (it was mesh and the mesh got saggy and bouncy) .

This is why I think they are overhyped, or I just haven't figured them out yet: "Take a SPIbelt™ on your run, hike, bike, or travels without distraction, bulk, or bouncing." :confused3 And I assure you, I have plenty of padding on the back end, so to speak. ;) I think I just haven't figured out the perfect sizing/location on where to wear mine...that or it's just not for me.

QOTD: I am sad to report that my Balega socks give me blisters on my arches on runs longer than 4-5 miles. This is partly "user error" though -- I bought the size that corresponded with my shoe size, which was right on the line between sizes -- and should have bought a size down. Love them for shorter runs though.

First I would like to thank everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. Everything is going exactly as it should at this point!!!! Baby is measuring great and heart beat is good! For those who were asking this will be #2. After some discussions with my wife we determined to skip a travel marathon or a just adult trip, and go back to WDW sometime this spring or early summer with DD for our last family of 3 trip, but with a bandit. lol Well at least thats the plan for now.

IMG_1291_zpsgecepufj.jpg

For some reason I can not get the picture to post correctly, but its still exciting!!

I got a Disney backpack before our last trip that can also be used as a hydration system as well. Still excited about it! Here is what it looks like. The down side to all those pockets is it takes forever to get through the checkpoint, but worth it.
48045_GCB.jpg

Mine is smaller than that one but I specifically wanted one with pockets on the arm straps to keep my phone handy (for pictures). This summer we were in the parks and it felt like we were just going from water fountain to water fountain to refill our bottles and then saw some people with hydration packs and thought it was brilliant! :idea: Anytime I go through bag check (with any bag) I take the time waiting for my turn to open all the pockets to help... it's the zipping up after that takes forever!o_O

This is why I think they are overhyped, or I just haven't figured them out yet: "Take a SPIbelt™ on your run, hike, bike, or travels without distraction, bulk, or bouncing." :confused3 And I assure you, I have plenty of padding on the back end, so to speak. ;) I think I just haven't figured out the perfect sizing/location on where to wear mine...that or it's just not for me.

Have you tried the Amphipod Microstretch belt? I use it to carry my iPhone 6S Plus, a key fob and extra gels during races and have not had issues with it bouncing around.

On the QOTD topic, though, don't get me started on the Nathan Trail Mix hydration belt. Very inconvenient storage pocket (and too small, to boot) with bottles that want to spin around my waist. I feel like Jupiter with two moons orbiting my waist!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter