The Running Thread - 2020

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Hope you’re all able to enjoy it even with these new restrictions (depending on your area). I had lovely weather this morning for my virtual 10km (which I walked, for many reasons).

And for the rest (majority) of you, hope you had a good weekend as well :)

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Hope you’re all able to enjoy it even with these new restrictions (depending on your area). I had lovely weather this morning for my virtual 10km (which I walked, for many reasons).

And for the rest (majority) of you, hope you had a good weekend as well :)
Thank you 🇨🇦 Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

My mom cooked a turkey 🦃 and delivered it on Friday instead of eating it together today Sunday like we usually do. The weather was lovely indeed! DH and I went for a run. Then for another one to accommodate DD. Then a big walk to accommodate the other DD. The fall leaves are gorgeous so we might as well enjoy what we can and be thankful for it 🍁

Beach running is hard y’all.

I haven’t had much time for social media. My small business took off a lot faster than I anticipated and I work so much. I seriously nap as much as possible and catch up on reading in my little bit of downtime.

Just thought I’d pop in to say I ran a LIVE race. The Cocoa Beach Half Marathon was downgraded to a 10K so my husband and I signed up. I’ve been plagued with injuries most of the spring and summer. None were running related, but they did prevent me from running and I didn’t go into this race as trained as I wanted to be. Rob had never run a race and wanted to get the experience. What little training I did get in went great though. A lot of runs were spent on my treadmill because I usually can’t start until after 8am. It’s still hot as Hades here in FL so A/C wins over my love of the outdoors.

I believe there were around 800 runners signed up for the race. Bibs were assigned by last name in alphabetical order. They were releasing runners in mini waves of 50 people every 2 minutes. If you were running 7 minute miles or less you got assigned to the 1st wave. I had bib 150 and Rob 151 which meant we were in different waves. That wasn’t a big deal since we weren’t running together.

The staging area was in the Hilton parking lot. Everyone wore masks and stood in groups until start time. It was hot. It was humid. Pre race and race water stops had full bottles of water. They had six (???) porta potties. We met up with Mike @MrDrauer and his friend Emily just before race start. My earbuds wouldn’t turn on 😒 I went into this with no plans. I had my Garmin set up to have me run an 8:54 pace and thought I’d hang on as long as I could. The first two miles felt effortless and I ran those in 8:57 & 8:54. As soon as I hit the beach at around 2.3 miles it’s like someone attached weights to my feet and was using a blow torch on my thighs. The next three miles was an experience. The sand was hard packed, but still a workout in itself to run on. It was spongy and not easy to get traction. I should have known better since I trot horses around in conditions like this. The next three miles got slower and slower - 9:20, 9:34, & 10:14. The start of mile 6 had us leaving the beach. I thought I was going to sprain an ankle trying to run through the deep sand so I walked for a few seconds. Once my feet hit the wooden bridge and the asphalt I felt like I was so light and fast. I actually passed people on my way to the finish line!!! Mile 6 was 9:23 & .20 miles 8:13. I finished in a time of 58:07. It was my second fastest 10K. Had there been no beach involved I think it could have been a new PR for me. Rob finished with a time of 1:12:25. The finish line had self serve two cans of beer or pineapple cider and a bottle of water per runner. I heard last night that they ran out of water! Medals were hung on racks for runners to grab for themselves. Very little social distancing and mask wearing after the race from runners and spectators. I do not want this post to get derailed. Don’t disparage the volunteers and race officials who were wearing their masks doing the best they could. You can only control a mass of people so much and lots of us don’t want racing to disappear again. BTW, there is no mask ordinance in Cocoa Beach nor has there ever been one in Brevard County.

I‘m glad I experienced racing on a beach, but it’s not something I would do again. I’ll leave my beach activities to swimming, reading and snoozing. I feel worse today than I did after running Dopey or Goofy. Next on my running agenda is the Orlando OUC Half Marathon. I’m still debating the Space Coast Half, but these two races are on back to back weekends 🧐

Rob said he hates running races. He won’t exactly explain what he didn’t like, but he never ever wants to do it again. His medal is still rolling around on the floor of my car.

Beach torture photo

49774FB8-E7EC-46E2-92C5-315477DC924D.jpeg

Sweaty finish line tomato face

ED0BA9EE-7912-45D7-A37B-EA9571DE7B3E.jpeg

Rob & Mike crossing the finish line

9920E626-0C2C-4463-8A8B-C5E08A7F9267.jpeg

Post race Dis photo

65A5C856-2E94-4DD0-86FF-E4EBF06374C5.jpeg

Medal

56B5560F-63BD-4671-A9AA-7C06DC76C075.jpeg

Garmin watches are on sale on Amazon for Prime Day.

I'm thinking of an upgrade for my Forerunner 235, which I have had for 5 or 6 years. Any recommendations?

Side note: I never listen to music when I run, and I wear my 235 as my main watch at all times (except in the shower, unless it needs cleaned!).

Beach running is hard y’all.

I haven’t had much time for social media. My small business took off a lot faster than I anticipated and I work so much. I seriously nap as much as possible and catch up on reading in my little bit of downtime.

Just thought I’d pop in to say I ran a LIVE race. The Cocoa Beach Half Marathon was downgraded to a 10K so my husband and I signed up. I’ve been plagued with injuries most of the spring and summer. None were running related, but they did prevent me from running and I didn’t go into this race as trained as I wanted to be. Rob had never run a race and wanted to get the experience. What little training I did get in went great though. A lot of runs were spent on my treadmill because I usually can’t start until after 8am. It’s still hot as Hades here in FL so A/C wins over my love of the outdoors.

I believe there were around 800 runners signed up for the race. Bibs were assigned by last name in alphabetical order. They were releasing runners in mini waves of 50 people every 2 minutes. If you were running 7 minute miles or less you got assigned to the 1st wave. I had bib 150 and Rob 151 which meant we were in different waves. That wasn’t a big deal since we weren’t running together.

The staging area was in the Hilton parking lot. Everyone wore masks and stood in groups until start time. It was hot. It was humid. Pre race and race water stops had full bottles of water. They had six (???) porta potties. We met up with Mike @MrDrauer and his friend Emily just before race start. My earbuds wouldn’t turn on 😒 I went into this with no plans. I had my Garmin set up to have me run an 8:54 pace and thought I’d hang on as long as I could. The first two miles felt effortless and I ran those in 8:57 & 8:54. As soon as I hit the beach at around 2.3 miles it’s like someone attached weights to my feet and was using a blow torch on my thighs. The next three miles was an experience. The sand was hard packed, but still a workout in itself to run on. It was spongy and not easy to get traction. I should have known better since I trot horses around in conditions like this. The next three miles got slower and slower - 9:20, 9:34, & 10:14. The start of mile 6 had us leaving the beach. I thought I was going to sprain an ankle trying to run through the deep sand so I walked for a few seconds. Once my feet hit the wooden bridge and the asphalt I felt like I was so light and fast. I actually passed people on my way to the finish line!!! Mile 6 was 9:23 & .20 miles 8:13. I finished in a time of 58:07. It was my second fastest 10K. Had there been no beach involved I think it could have been a new PR for me. Rob finished with a time of 1:12:25. The finish line had self serve two cans of beer or pineapple cider and a bottle of water per runner. I heard last night that they ran out of water! Medals were hung on racks for runners to grab for themselves. Very little social distancing and mask wearing after the race from runners and spectators. I do not want this post to get derailed. Don’t disparage the volunteers and race officials who were wearing their masks doing the best they could. You can only control a mass of people so much and lots of us don’t want racing to disappear again. BTW, there is no mask ordinance in Cocoa Beach nor has there ever been one in Brevard County.

I‘m glad I experienced racing on a beach, but it’s not something I would do again. I’ll leave my beach activities to swimming, reading and snoozing. I feel worse today than I did after running Dopey or Goofy. Next on my running agenda is the Orlando OUC Half Marathon. I’m still debating the Space Coast Half, but these two races are on back to back weekends 🧐

Rob said he hates running races. He won’t exactly explain what he didn’t like, but he never ever wants to do it again. His medal is still rolling around on the floor of my car.

Beach torture photo

View attachment 531974

Sweaty finish line tomato face

View attachment 531976

Rob & Mike crossing the finish line

View attachment 531978

Post race Dis photo

View attachment 531979

Medal

View attachment 531980

Congrats Bree! Love that medal! And now I’ll have the I Dream of Jeannie theme song stuck in my head all day.

I'm thinking of an upgrade for my Forerunner 235, which I have had for 5 or 6 years. Any recommendations?

Side note: I never listen to music when I run, and I wear my 235 as my main watch at all times (except in the shower, unless it needs cleaned!).

Garmin also has a sale on some of there stuff on their website. In the past, depending on what you’re looking for some of the deals are better than Amazon’s.

I had a FR 235, then a VA3, now a Venu. I love the Venu. It looks so much better (i.e., not so plastic gadgety) and the screen is so bright and clear. It is touch screen with two buttons, which is a nice combination for good functionality I think. (the VA3 only had one button, which wasn't enough. But all the buttons on the FR235 were annoying.)

As far as I can tell, it does all of the activity tracking just as well as the other Garmins.

I have never used any of my watches for music. I do send some phone notifications to it. It's nice to be able to decline a phone call by touching the watch face, and short texts show up well. I wear the Venu all of the time except in the shower when I charge it. I have the black band and watch body with gold trim.

The battery life is perhaps a bit of a weak point. You can fiddle with how bright the screen is and the auto on/off for the screen to save battery. I charge it every night as part of my routine. I am estimating that if I fully charge it, it will be able to sustain GPS and connection with my phone for about 5.5 hours for a marathon, but it may be a little close. When GPS is off, it doesn't run out that fast.

After getting the 945 and having on-device maps I would never go back to a watch without maps again. I use them a ton for trails but even when running new streets or in areas I'm not familiar with pre-loading a course with maps is a game changer.

I wear it all the time other than the shower and since I don't use it for notifications, meaning Bluetooth isn't always on, so the battery lasts at least a few days.

Congrats Bree, Mike & Rob!
I follow a runner on IG who won the women's last year and she pulled herself a few minutes before the race because of a healing injury and the sand. I hope you're feeling less ouchy today and I think you had a great finish time considering the beach section!
(I also think my husband is officially in the same category about racing as yours!)

Long time no type! I've got some virtuals left to do for the year. Motivation is still rough; I just get so much more excited for in person stuff. Virtuals allow me off the hook (my problem, not the race.) Currently working on shedding the extra pants size I put on this year...down 7 lbs! but again, motivation is tough. Being a bit heavier doesn't exactly help feeling great when I run.
I finished my Virtual 8k for the Chicago marathon weekend on Sunday just as an easy paced run.
Virtuals still to be completed:
Hot Chocolate 15k anytime this Fall
Disney Marathon in Jan (eek)
Princess HM in Feb (less eek)

One of these days I'm going to get back into a better routine (I've been saying for more than a year.)

I'm too lazy to start another thread so I apologize if this is hijacking.... but anyone else who access disboard using mobile phone. get sometimes redirected to spam sites like in picture? it happens occasionally here on disboard threads.... very annoying View attachment 532403

Definitely. It got bad enough for me a while back that the DISboard was basically unusable. I ended up getting an ad blocker app and that has completely resolved the situation. No more redirects.

I'm too lazy to start another thread so I apologize if this is hijacking.... but anyone else who access disboard using mobile phone. get sometimes redirected to spam sites like in picture? it happens occasionally here on disboard threads.... very annoying

This type of pop up is a daily occurrence on my iPad.

@camaker, which app do you use?

I'm almost done with week 1 of my training plan and wow did I lose so much of my lifting strength over the summer. I'm already sore (in a good way) and that is currently motivating me to keep going. I already know that the current schedule is going to really mess with my brain though.....the way everything ended up laying out without doing a lifting AND a run multiple days a week, and keeping workouts under about an hour except for the longer runs.....there are no days off. Now on one hand that's a good thing because I'm really good at "one day off becomes four days off" and I also find I'm more productive around the house on days I workout, but otoh it really crams my days full when I have additional errands to run. I definitely lost some of my fitness when I took those 3 weeks off after my HM got cancelled, but I'm hoping i've recovered enough of it to try to do my halloween-day WW10k at the HM pace I was running a month ago. I just have to make it to December and then I'll figure out a different plan. I can do that.....just a month and a half.

A boy at the school my kids go to ran a 14:58 cross country race (5k) this week. He sets course records at what seems like half the meets he runs in. I'm pretty sure he's nationally ranked. And he's a sophmore, so 15 or 16 years old. Craziness.

Last edited:
Did anyone else get the survey email from Garmin? The subject of my email was "GARMIN Survey: Forerunner Fitness Watch Owners" and they knew I had a 945. A lot of hints about what is coming next and most of it points towards Firstbeat upgrades.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter