The Running Thread - 2020

That is how it usually works. i was throwing the idea out there. maybe we can pull something off. could probably get 8 @Disney at Heart and hubby, my hubby, @tigger536, @KSellers88 notice how i signed them all up already :rotfl2: we might need to consider it.

Edited because i looked at the date for atlanta and that won't work for me in 2020.
Like @camaker , we are signed up for SWRR that weekend. And I can only consider running races that are good for slow people!:snail: :goodvibes

New frustration: Over the years of running, when we have signed up for races, we ran them. Over the years, two half marathons were canceled (Disney half, due to inclement weather, and the Echo half near Daytona, due to some embezzling of money I was told), and that was highly unusual. But since August, we have had three different races that were changed after we signed up: 1) a Table Rock, SC, trail race in August was moved from Saturday to Sunday of the same weekend. Luckily we had rented a cabin for the whole weekend, so we ran it. 2) DH was signed up for the Lookout Mountain 18 mile trail race that was moved from December 14 to December 21. We changed our hotel reservation and headed to Chattanooga anyway. 3) Yesterday, we got an email that the Peach Jam Half that we have run for several years has moved to a different location and on a different day, and the longest distance available is now a 10k. This was due to work being done on the greenway where it is usually staged. This time, we cancelled our registration and asked for a refund. I hope this trend doesn't continue!!!

So I've been thinking about this a lot lately and have gone over my mental state with @DopeyBadger but with Marathon Weekend coming up, I wanted to throw this out to the group as a whole.

How do you deal with negative running thoughts when there's no rational reason you should have them?

Background: My running has been very consistent since July. I've done almost all the runs in the plans and despite a well thought out decision to take my September 2019 Giant Race Half Marathon easy, I still shaved a good 2-3 minutes off my previous PR which I set in 2018 at the same race when I had a grueling race. My long runs for Dopey training have been just fine and were in fact less difficult than I feared they would be both physically and mentally. I feel more fresh right now than I did at this point a year ago before my first Marathon and Dopey. Yet for whatever reason, my brain doesn't feel it. I know that I need to be in a good place mentally for Dopey and I need to get there sooner rather than later.

So I've been thinking about this a lot lately and have gone over my mental state with @DopeyBadger but with Marathon Weekend coming up, I wanted to throw this out to the group as a whole.

How do you deal with negative running thoughts when there's no rational reason you should have them?

Background: My running has been very consistent since July. I've done almost all the runs in the plans and despite a well thought out decision to take my September 2019 Giant Race Half Marathon easy, I still shaved a good 2-3 minutes off my previous PR which I set in 2018 at the same race when I had a grueling race. My long runs for Dopey training have been just fine and were in fact less difficult than I feared they would be both physically and mentally. I feel more fresh right now than I did at this point a year ago before my first Marathon and Dopey. Yet for whatever reason, my brain doesn't feel it. I know that I need to be in a good place mentally for Dopey and I need to get there sooner rather than later.

Two things for you. One, try talking them out with someone. Hearing them expressed verbally might convince your brain that they’re not rational and not needed. Two, I’m not sure you need to get there sooner rather than later. As long as you’re ready on race day, you’ve got time between now and then to get your mental focus lined out.

ATTQOTD: Hmmmmm. The one part of me that has decided to give up "racing" still has some pushback from the other part that says "wimp" For those of you old enough, picture Frank Gorshin in the final scene of the Star Trek episode "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield", only not as deadly!

I love the ST reference, but next time please pick a better episode! :) TOS is my favorite of the series, but I will admit that it has some real clunkers. (And no, I'm not old enough to have seen TOS originally - started watching it in reruns when I was in middle school!)

After talking it out loud like @FFigawi said, try finding a new place to do your runs between now and Mweekend. If you run the same paths all the time changing it up can really get you out of your head.

I feel like this almost sounds like "imposter syndrome" for running. It seems like you haven't yet absorbed that your training and running accomplishments are legitimate and something you worked and built yourself up to achieve, instead of just a fluke. You need to trust your training as best you can, as well as your coach who set up the plan for you. If you're pushing for a new goal, then it's always going to seem like it's difficult to achieve it - presumably that's why it's your goal. I agree with @FFigawi about talking it out with folks if you can, but when they tell you that you CAN do it, you have to accept that.

I looked at it to see if I could come down. Unfortunately, it conflicts with SWRR. You guys should just come up and run Tuna Run in NC with me! No silly repeating loops and you end up on the beach.

Totally jumping into this since you posted it on the thread...I may be be interested in the Tuna Run if you need another. I did the Ragnar DC when it was still a relay in 2018 and loved it. I was going to do Tuna in 2019 with my Ragnar team, but our team fell through.

I was once told that anxiety can be like a tomato plant: The more you water it, the more it grows and not always in an efficient or constructive manner.

Maybe try focusing on something else for a while. Read a book instead of this thread? I like @QueenFernando suggestion to change running paths: It can be a nice distraction.

I try to live in the moment and try to look at Dopey the same way: One day at a time, one km at a time.

Good luck!

I looked at it to see if I could come down. Unfortunately, it conflicts with SWRR. You guys should just come up and run Tuna Run in NC with me! No silly repeating loops and you end up on the beach.
Might be interested in that. NC is not far and for @OldSlowGoofyGuy it is probably closer. Plus the date works better.

Funny, I was already thinking of camaker to fill out our team. I kind of though the loops and no van was a plus, but I'll defer to experience. :)

ATTQOTD: Hmmmmm. The one part of me that has decided to give up "racing" still has some pushback from the other part that says "wimp" For those of you old enough, picture Frank Gorshin in the final scene of the Star Trek episode "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield", only not as deadly!

I may try and do a 5k plan to race in the spring. Not like I will ever hit my old PR--at 61, results drop off fairly quickly, even from 4-5 years ago. The whole age graded thing doesn't always do it for me, but at least 5k has plenty of local options and reasonable mileage.

Also, I do have an alarm set for Jan 30 to try and register for NY marathon. My time is under the cut--but not by much--for guaranteed entry, so we'll see if it works.

And @Baloo in MI I really need to run Woodstock, as opposed to "volunteer Woodstock", so maybe that.

You should do it! I have run the 50K and 50 Mile there, great race and such a fun environment, but you know that. And as should be said to all who have volunteered at races, thank you!

Totally jumping into this since you posted it on the thread...I may be be interested in the Tuna Run if you need another. I did the Ragnar DC when it was still a relay in 2018 and loved it. I was going to do Tuna in 2019 with my Ragnar team, but our team fell through.

The more the merrier! I’ll definitely put you down on the list to call on when the time comes to think about putting things together.

Funny, I was already thinking of camaker to fill out our team. I kind of though the loops and no van was a plus, but I'll defer to experience. :)

No vans would definitely be a plus! It’s more the multiple loops of the same trail I was thinking about. NC isn’t that far from GA, so I’d definitely consider coming down for an event. Another option could be the Palmetto Relay. It’s a lot like the Tuna Run and is put on by the same organization. It’s just run in SC.

@camaker What is the Tuna Run?

The Tuna Run is a 203-204 mile relay that starts just outside Raleigh, NC and ends on the beach in Atlantic Beach, NC. It’s split into 36 legs and you have teams of up to 12 runners splitting the legs. I’ve run it twice (once with a 9 person team and once with 11) and it’s been one of my favorite running experiences. You run through small towns in Eastern NC and local groups, often churches, serve as the volunteers at exchange points. They will often have bonfires at night and potluck meals provided for the runners. It is an absolute blast when run with a good group of people.

I went through some of this earlier in the training, and I think a big part of it was the repetitive route I'd be running and my mind would try to tell me I needed to stop, I was tired, when I wasn't even close. Some times I would push through it, some times, I would stop running but force myself to walk the distance I'd set out for, just to get the miles in. But last month, when I got to the Dallas 10k/Half Marathon challenge, having the actual race brought my mental state right back. I think when you get there with the atmosphere and the other runners around, you'll be fine.

Late to the party as usual, but....

2020 Goals
1. Stay injury free and healthy
2. run a sub 2 half in December
3. instead of chit chatting on social media with my local running clubs, go run with them

This isn’t really a goal, but figure out how to fit in working with running. We own a horse farm now and will be taking on boarders. We will be also be breeding our first horse too!

I'm not even going to call this a race report.

Life Path 8K, Braselton, GA.

Goal of sub 39? Nope

PR? Nope

39:54, barely broke 40.

The one bright spot: 1st place age group (out of 5). 20 out of 81 overall.

Bling:

The traditional post-race lunch:

[Edited to delete all my petty complaints and stick to the running.]

During the last mile of the race, I found myself saying 'Let up. This hurts. Just coast to the finish, or better yet step to the curb'. I fought it off but it was unusual for me. I'm usually pretty focused and not negative.

I'm tired of racing and I'm tired of running.

Got to do something to turn this ship around.

Last edited:
@OldSlowGoofyGuy we will get you out of the funk. I don’t know how yet but let’s do it. It’s ok though to have some grumpy times. I am worried how my body will hold up for my next training cycle after the Disney half. Am looking forward to my week off. let me know if you want to come down for the Olympic trials. Race is Saturday at 10 am I think. You can park at my place.

i forgot congrats on first in age group!

2020 Goals:

1) I didn’t meet my total miles goal this year so I‘m lowering it. 620 miles. This will be a PR if I hit it
2) Lose some weight - already started. 3 lbs down in a week
3) Run a 10K to get a POT that hopefully lands me in the last corral before the ones that don’t submit POTs. It would take a miracle for me to run it any faster than that.
4) Complete the challenge during W&D - I want this desperately but right now DH says I have to pick just one. If he makes me stick to that it’ll be the half.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter