The Running Thread--2024

So sorry, @jmasgat. We made the same decision last September and it was so hard even though it was the right thing to do. I hope his passing was peaceful.

Today, my avatar takes on special meaning. I made the horribly painful, "will always feel guilt" decision to euthanize my dog, Buddy. He was nearly 18 yrs old, and the ravages of age made it, probably the smart choice, but most assuredly not an easy one. This death was probably harder than when my mom died. She went out very much on her own terms, and we all knew it was what she wanted. No such acceptance when dealing with an animal.

I don't think running will cut it today. But maybe a walk to his favorite local park....and lots of dog laundry.
:hug: I’m so very sorry.

Today, my avatar takes on special meaning. I made the horribly painful, "will always feel guilt" decision to euthanize my dog, Buddy. He was nearly 18 yrs old, and the ravages of age made it, probably the smart choice, but most assuredly not an easy one. This death was probably harder than when my mom died. She went out very much on her own terms, and we all knew it was what she wanted. No such acceptance when dealing with an animal.

I don't think running will cut it today. But maybe a walk to his favorite local park....and lots of dog laundry.
I’m so sorry. He lived a long love filled life 💕

I am so sorry. The unconditional love and bond from a dog is like no other. No matter how much time we get with them it's never enough. Sending love to you.

Late to the party but congratulations Boston finishers. It is a great weekend but I was not unhappy not to be doing it this year.

I'm sorry. I've done it three times now, including this past September, and even when you know it is the right call it is hard to take it. 18 is a long life for even a small dog and I hope you have lots of memories.

I’m so sorry for your loss. Such a gut wrenching decision even when it’s the right one. They really are part of the family.

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s never an easy decision, but it’s always the right one.

Last edited:
I wonder if that’s watch dependent? It’s not showing on mine.
View attachment 853130

ETA: Looks like it might be?
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?f...sted Pace (GAP) is,your current pace at grade.
After I posted, I wondered if it was watch specific. I now have one that has Garmin power (Forerunner 965) - and was wondering if that is what is needed for GAP with Garmin.

ETA: I just went and looked at a race with my Fenix 6S (no power), and, yeah, GAP isn’t there.

Re: GAP. If you put the course into pace pro it’ll tell you the gap. But that’s reverse engineering it and won’t help during a run.

Does anyone know how to calculate GAP for someone who is too creeped out by Strava to pay them money?

View attachment 853103

I was able to find one of your hill routes in Strava segments. I sent you a DM. The steep one is +2 min. Meaning if you run a 9 min/mile, it's like running a 7 min/mile.

I only found pieces of the longer route. The downhill is a -10sec. I would guess the 1 mile uphill is about 30-60 sec/mile based on 110ft.

Re: GAP. If you put the course into pace pro it’ll tell you the gap. But that’s reverse engineering it and won’t help during a run.
I forgot this was a thing. I’m not sure I 100% trust these paces but it at least matches which miles were slower/more difficult.
I was able to find one of your hill routes in Strava segments. I sent you a DM. The steep one is +2 min. Meaning if you run a 9 min/mile, it's like running a 7 min/mile.

I only found pieces of the longer route. The downhill is a -10sec. I would guess the 1 mile uphill is about 30-60 sec/mile based on 110ft.
Thank heavens on that steep one. It was a lung buster. I felt like I may have been able to walk faster by the time I reached the top. But I just kept trying to put in the same effort level throughout the run. My struggle right now is if it was the right effort level. It’s been a while since I’ve ran marathon pace so I approached it as a pace that felt like I was putting in some effort but could keep that effort for hours. As opposed to my easy pace which I generally approach as absolute minimal effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter