The Running Thread--2024

Pain almost gone but I don't have high hopes for a strong race at the Broad Street Run this weekend.
I hope you have a great race this weekend @SheHulk and are able to run completely pain free! 🤞

Is anyone else racing this weekend? I am doing a local 10k tomorrow on a flat surface in the hopes of working on this darned PoT before the July 1 cutoff. 😏 DH will be pacing me, which will hopefully take some of the work out of it. He keeps telling me that if I can just stay calm and find my race flow, it will come. 🤪🤣👀

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 💜

Did you get what you wanted? 🤞

Ranting here, but I am so over these Crowned drops that sellout within a few minutes that I don't even bother anymore, even though I loved the Rey set :(
I got the Rey set and the Padme tank! The skort sold out in my cart. I too wish they would stock more stuff! There's definitely interest!

I got the Rey set and the Padme tank! The skort sold out in my cart. I too wish they would stock more stuff! There's definitely interest!
I was able to avoid temptation. I'd love the Padme flow, but I don't know if I would look good in those colors. I'm very fair and those could wash me out a little.

I did see people were definitely unhappy about items selling out.

Content Warning: mildly squeamish ick

Just when I was about to start running again (any day now, I swear!) after almost two weeks of post-HM recovery, I came up with the perfect reason to take it easy for a few more days!

Last night, I stepped on something sharp on the floor of my daughters room. It turns out that my eldest (8) had lost an earring, and my big toe had found it. Imagine my surprise and horror when I looked at my foot and discovered I'd been butterflied!

Earrings are not that sharp, but somehow it managed to go allllll the way into my big toe. Now my toe is sore, and there's nothing to do about it but take another day or two off, right?

Content Warning: mildly squeamish ick

Just when I was about to start running again (any day now, I swear!) after almost two weeks of post-HM recovery, I came up with the perfect reason to take it easy for a few more days!

Last night, I stepped on something sharp on the floor of my daughters room. It turns out that my eldest (8) had lost an earring, and my big toe had found it. Imagine my surprise and horror when I looked at my foot and discovered I'd been butterflied!

Earrings are not that sharp, but somehow it managed to go allllll the way into my big toe. Now my toe is sore, and there's nothing to do about it but take another day or two off, right?
And I thought stepping on a Lego was bad. I hope that you feel better soon!

After telling @DisneyMountainWoman about doing a threshold test in order to determine if your easy runs were in the correct Zone 2, I decided to to the threshold field test myself since I had not done one in quite a while. I have such a love-hate relationship with this test because I believe in the data, but it is freaking hard at the end. Who am I kidding? I went out too hard at the start and it was freaking hard for the entire 20 minutes. Nonetheless, I persevered and was able to run the entire 20 minutes. I have read that the majority of runners are not initially able to do the entire 20 minute test because they too go out too hard and therefore cannot finish the test.

I'm not entirely certain what my fitness level portends for my 5K training this summer in my hopes at getting faster, but my average heart rate was 165 bpm and my average pace was 8'05"/mile. My current VDOT is 40 and I hope that at the end of this 5K training to be....faster. That is my only goal. Therefore, I will be happy as long as I don't get slower.
@DopeyBadger When you used the Jack Daniels' plan for 5K training, did you run five times or six times per week? I'm trying to decide which would be best for me. I honestly don't know if my body needs only one day of recovery or two. I ran six days a week using the Hanson's HM plan and I obviously survived without any major setbacks, but I did strain my hamstring towards the end of the training plan. I don't know if that was too much for my 50 year old body or if it was just one of those things that happen when you train hard.

How often does the rest of the gang run per week? This is always an interesting topic with various perspectives.

I hope you have a great race this weekend @SheHulk and are able to run completely pain free! 🤞

Is anyone else racing this weekend? I am doing a local 10k tomorrow on a flat surface in the hopes of working on this darned PoT before the July 1 cutoff. 😏 DH will be pacing me, which will hopefully take some of the work out of it. He keeps telling me that if I can just stay calm and find my race flow, it will come. 🤪🤣👀

No race scheduled for me this weekend. Just an eight mile long run tomorrow. Good luck with your 10K. I hope that you get the time that you want!

Bud Break 5K out at the MN Landscape Arboretum. I ran it in 39 flat in 2022 when it was cold, raining, and I was sick. Oh, and my headphones died halfway through. I want a do-over, and the weather is going to be perfect: upper 40s and sunny, and the flowers are actually blooming this time!

Bud Break 5K out at the MN Landscape Arboretum. I ran it in 39 flat in 2022 when it was cold, raining, and I was sick. Oh, and my headphones died halfway through. I want a do-over, and the weather is going to be perfect: upper 40s and sunny, and the flowers are actually blooming this time!
That sounds like lovely race conditions. Good luck!

@DopeyBadger When you used the Jack Daniels' plan for 5K training, did you run five times or six times per week? I'm trying to decide which would be best for me. I honestly don't know if my body needs only one day of recovery or two. I ran six days a week using the Hanson's HM plan and I obviously survived without any major setbacks, but I did strain my hamstring towards the end of the training plan. I don't know if that was too much for my 50 year old body or if it was just one of those things that happen when you train hard.

How often does the rest of the gang run per week? This is always an interesting topic with various perspectives.
Right now I'm running 3 times a week with a focus on maintenance. I'll add in a 4th day of running this month to prepare for Fairytale Challenge training. I haven't done a half since 2014 and I had to walk it due to really bad ITBS in my right leg.

Five days/week for me. I wouldn't want to run 6/wk because I really need the recovery time. On the flip side, though, I spent a couple of years running 4 days/wk on the advice of my PT and hated it. It never felt like I was quite prepared and ramping up volume was hard. Five days/week really seems to be where I thrive.

2017 Winter/Spring Training Cycle - Jack Daniels 10k Training
-Training Plan
-Bunny Head 5k Time Trial Recap
-Bunny Head 5k Time Trial #2 Recap
-Brat Fest 5k Recap
-Hot2Trot 10k Recap
-Jack Daniels Training Summary

I attached the Jack Daniels 10k plan as I wrote it before the plan started. So some changes were made along the way, but the majority of it was as is. I ran Tues-Sun, with Mondays off (6 days per week). Plan was mostly in the 6.5-8hr per week range for volume (averaged 7.5hrs per week, 52.5 miles). Weeks were either two speed + LR (90-120 min) or three speeds (one of which was a long sustained M Tempo of about 75 min + WU/CD).

2020 Spring Daniels Mile Time Trail Training
-Start of training (never detailed the plan)
-Mile Time Trial Recap

I never wrote the mile time training plan out, and just followed it by the book. At the time I was still doing indoor cycling as a replacement for some running because of stress fractures and ankle issues in 2018. Stress fracture issues have since resolved and never been a problem again after returning to 6 days per week running in summer 2020 and increasing my vitamin D3 intake. I continue to do the ankle strengthening exercises with optimal effect. According to a post, I roughly followed the following schedule:

M - OFF
T - LIIFT4 + Hard Run
W - Easy Cycle + Easy Run
R - Long Easy Cycle
F - LIIFT4 + Hard Run
Sa - Long Easy Cycle + Easy Run
Su - Long Run of ~25% weekly run mileage + LIIFT4

I also incorporated Yoga instead of LIIFT4 about halfway through the plan.

Late in the plan it started doing three legit speed days (like R pace three times and not like 5k/10k which had M Tempo as the third). I ended up straining my glute muscle and it took quite a long time to resolve (months to a year from memory).

Between all the different exercises (strength, yoga, run, cycling) I was putting in about 10.5-12.5 hrs per week on average. Despite the injury, I was still able to run a 5:42 and PR by 20 sec with the help of a former DIS poster.

Attachments

• 2017 Daniels 5k.10k plan - Blaser.pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 4
How often does the rest of the gang run per week?
I currently run 5 times a week (and will turn 50 this year). I find that the two days off give me enough recovery and the flexibility to do something else or to adjust the plan to impossible days. I used to run 3/4 times per week and find that it was harder to get going (kind of loosing a good habit or never quite adopting it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter