The Secret Cruise Blog of Perdita X (Dream, 09/14/2015)

Hi! Joining in. Were going on our first cruise this september. Was reading another TR and her review of the 5k did not sound good. Late start, totally hot, not much shade, they were pretty miserable I had thought about walking it, but am skipping it now and just going out to enjoy the beach.

Hi! Joining in. Were going on our first cruise this september. Was reading another TR and her review of the 5k did not sound good. Late start, totally hot, not much shade, they were pretty miserable I had thought about walking it, but am skipping it now and just going out to enjoy the beach.

I think I either read that same trip report or someone else said something similar. :)

Yeah, on the one hand it sounds really gratifying to do the 5K and then go swim and eat a huge lunch, but on the other hand all my training is done in an A/C gym and one of the reasons I moved away from FL was to get away from the relentless heat/humidity. My tolerance is low. :)

Which sailing are you on in Sept?

We're sailing on the dream the 21-25. We wanted to go late enough to get a Halloween party on our cruise, but the friends we're going with didn't want to go in October because they were worried about being out during hurricane season. Also, since this is our first cruise, we thought we'd do a short trip in case we don't like it for some reason (read: my husband doesn't like it. I could live on a boat and be happy ☺)

We're sailing on the dream the 21-25. We wanted to go late enough to get a Halloween party on our cruise, but the friends we're going with didn't want to go in October because they were worried about being out during hurricane season. Also, since this is our first cruise, we thought we'd do a short trip in case we don't like it for some reason (read: my husband doesn't like it. I could live on a boat and be happy ☺)

Sounds like you'll be the four-nighter after ours (with a three nighter in between). We went with the short itinerary for the same reason (I also have some vertigo issues and I'm worried about seasickness.)

The wait is killing me!

Small rant, which I have nowhere else to post: I hate that cruisecritic's message boards are down so often during peak evening hours. I hate it when a site has the most active forums on a given topic (and the ad clicks to go with it, plus barring talk of travel agents) and they won't bother to upgrade their software/hardware/bandwidth for the user load. If you don't want the expense and bother of running message boards, don't run them.

The random transportation post:

None of this is booked yet, but my tentative plan is:

--Southwest flight nonstop the day before the cruise (we still have a ton of miles from when BF worked as a cross-country consultant).

--Rent a car at MCO / National (I love the Emerald Aisle deal where you just climb into whatever car you want). POSSIBLY do something in Orlando (a WDW park, or Universal), weather permitting.

--Drive to Cocoa Beach, stay at this hotel:

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/cocoa-beach/coifl/hoteldetail

This isn't one of the super-popular pre-cruise hotels like the Country Inn, but it does look to be pretty much next door to a Publix, where we can buy wine/last minute necessities/etc.

--Drop off the car at National on the way towards the port in the morning. Get a taxi from the car rental office if a shuttle isn't readily available. (And/or: drop off the car in the evening and taxi back to the hotel, then taxi in the morning. Needless to say I don't like shuttles.)

Reverse these steps minus the hotel on the day we get back. Although flights out of MCO home on the day the cruise ends are a little weird. There are only two nonstops, (too) early and late, and otherwise 5-6 hours spent wasted on weird layovers. Might just get a Hyatt MCO day room and wait for a later non-stop rather than sit in airports all day long. Or I might look at another airline for the return flight.

I know in previous posts I was excited that BF is kind of more into WDW lately (post- our weekend trip), and I'd been thinking of tacking stuff on before the cruise, but I'd forgotten how bloody hot it'll be in central FL in mid-September.

Yep, forgot about how hot it will be and tagged some extra days to the beginning of our trip. Talked DH into going to legoland for a day. Now just sort of dreading a day of sweating....

I think we are coming back to stay a night at the Hyatt and getting a flight out the next day. Better times if we waited a day

Yep, forgot about how hot it will be and tagged some extra days to the beginning of our trip. Talked DH into going to legoland for a day. Now just sort of dreading a day of sweating....

I think we are coming back to stay a night at the Hyatt and getting a flight out the next day. Better times if we waited a day

We talked about it a bit today after I posted and decided to put that extra money into trying to get a cabana on CC. :)

I think we will fly in Sunday early-ish and possibly go to Kennedy Space Center. I haven't been there in about ten years, but I think I remember a lot of it was indoor/AC, and I heard something about a new space shuttle exhibit.

Quick shopping post, made a small haul today.

First of all, I mentioned in the earlier shopping post that I was obese for most of my life. I also have long hobbity toes. End result, never learned how to walk in heels, and if I try to wear classic pumps the toe-pain is just not worth it. So I did some research, basically 'comfortable high heels', came up with Naturalizer and a few other brands. I bought these about two months ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Naturalizer-Womens-Danya-Dress-Sandal/dp/B004A7BCJM/

Yeah, they're still basically 'sandals', but they look really nice with a cocktail dress. Bonus, I can pretty much walk all night in them, even after a few drinks, no pain OR coordination issues. Perfect dressy cruise shoes for the high-heel-impaired, without going too far in the direction of 'orthopedic'.

So, fast-forward to today, I'm in TJ Maxx and I saw a different pair of Naturalizer heels based on the same 'platform', but different enough to be worth buying, for $29.99. I can't seem to find a stock photo of them online, but see below:

IMG_0051.JPG

Also found the lightweight wrap pictured, and two sets of those nice tacky luggage tags. (I've been trying to make my luggage less anonymous.) I have those exact tags on my Amazon wishlist, but they are ten or twelve bucks online, $5.99 in TJ MAxx. The flip side has space to write your name etc.

One more shopping follow up:

I've been thinking about getting this as a carry-on bag (for the cruise portion, I mean):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT79GOY/

I haven't travelled much so I don't have many items like this. My usual plane carry-on is a messenger style bag I use for work (laptop, electronics, rx, a few odds and ends), this looks like it could hold more without being an overhead-compartment nightmare. (BF *has* travelled a lot, mileage-wise, so I've picked up some habits from him, including that we check most of our bags and take non-stop flights whenever we can. So far no lost luggage...jinx. But we also never fight for overheard compartment space and we can get off the plane faster.)

Oh, and one more thing. You know how many couples have one half who is the planner, and one half who is the 'please don't tell me anything until it's time to pack'? I am the former (duh) and BF is the latter. I shoot a few interesting facts his way now and then, but for the moment he knows almost nothing about a DCL cruise. I actually kind of like it this way--he's usually such a sunny person that it'll be fun to see his reaction when all this stuff comes as a surprise. Last night I was watching some YouTube video of the Dream (not something I make a habit of, I'd usually rather read textual info), and he happened to come into the room as someone was shooting the front of Cove Cafe. I said "oh, there's the adults-only coffee shop", but the camera then moved on into a panoramic view of Cabanas, the quick-service food area, and a very nice view of the ocean/horizon. And then onto a wide shot of the (family?) pool framed by both sides of the Aqueduct.

So I said, "Sorry, I thought he would go inside the cafe," but then I look around realize BF is standing there mesmerized. "I had no idea it looked like that, that's really cool." And I explained that the tubes were actually a water coaster. "I had no idea there was such a thing as a water coaster on a cruise ship." He seemed really taken aback. I know he's mostly been going along with the cruise thing for my sake, but he seemed genuinely startled by his first view of the actual ship. So, good sign.

Cute shoes! Wonder if I could walk in those.....

The more I tell DH little bits and pieces, the more impressed he seems too. I think he thought it would be sitting on deck all day "trapped" on a ship. We've been together for 14 years--maybe soon he'll figure out that I know what I'm doing when I plan these things! :rotfl:

Oh, and one more thing. You know how many couples have one half who is the planner, and one half who is the 'please don't tell me anything until it's time to pack'? I am the former (duh) and BF is the latter. I shoot a few interesting facts his way now and then, but for the moment he knows almost nothing about a DCL cruise. I actually kind of like it this way--he's usually such a sunny person that it'll be fun to see his reaction when all this stuff comes as a surprise. Last night I was watching some YouTube video of the Dream (not something I make a habit of, I'd usually rather read textual info), and he happened to come into the room as someone was shooting the front of Cove Cafe. I said "oh, there's the adults-only coffee shop", but the camera then moved on into a panoramic view of Cabanas, the quick-service food area, and a very nice view of the ocean/horizon. And then onto a wide shot of the (family?) pool framed by both sides of the Aqueduct.

So I said, "Sorry, I thought he would go inside the cafe," but then I look around realize BF is standing there mesmerized. "I had no idea it looked like that, that's really cool." And I explained that the tubes were actually a water coaster. "I had no idea there was such a thing as a water coaster on a cruise ship." He seemed really taken aback. I know he's mostly been going along with the cruise thing for my sake, but he seemed genuinely startled by his first view of the actual ship. So, good sign.
it's gotten to the point where both DH and DD are like "seriously? you've done so much research and watched so many videos and tv programs, there's no point in us going b/c you've practically been on it already!" LOL. so they won't watch or listen to me anymore. however, i bet they listen to me when we get on board and they find themselves totally overwhelmed! ha!

it's gotten to the point where both DH and DD are like "seriously? you've done so much research and watched so many videos and tv programs, there's no point in us going b/c you've practically been on it already!" LOL. so they won't watch or listen to me anymore. however, i bet they listen to me when we get on board and they find themselves totally overwhelmed! ha!

I just finally made it through that one destination America documentary on YouTube, I'm sure you've seen it. This is a feat though, because I've tried that one before and the narrator's voice always puts me to sleep. I'm pretty obsessed right now (I'm off work because I just pulled a week on call). Then I remember it's still months and months away. Sigh.

We did BF's passport appointment today, which required a road trip to another town. Didn't NEED it for the cruise but glad to have it out of the way for future travel.

Couple of weeks left before it's time to email shoreside concierge, which is the first real milestone. Time is actually moving.

Oh, and ... I'm starting to think about going on a solo cruise for my birthday in June. I have more vacation time than I can spend and BF doesn't. I don't know. It seems kind of crazy, but also appealing. The biggest challenge would be getting someone to cover for me at work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter