The vatican

northernlights

Earning My Ears
we will be on the viva italia 07/19 tour. our tour spends a morning at the vatican, then we have the afternnon to ourselves. we were hoping to spend the whole day at the vatican. has anyone else done thats?? tips?? advice??

It takes at least 3 hours to go through the vatican and after viewing the museum you finally end up at the Sistine Chapel. It is a great way to conclude the trip! It was amazing and can't be missed. Just remember that women wearing shorts will not be admitted. Enjoy!

St Peter's Basillica at the Vatican is wonderful to visit as well. It is absolutely beautiful and you can easily spend quite some time in there alone. When we went the Sistine Chapel it was so crowded we did not stay in it very long. As the crowds grow you are pushed through and do not see as much. This is from the people pushing to get through. You will enjoy the day and we look forward to the day we go can go back.

northern lights, As a group we listened to the local guide for a bit and then began the slow walk through parts of the museum. Unfortunately it was so crowded that we couldn't stop and appreciate any of the art work and architecture for any length of time. The Sistine was very crowded, dark for preservation reasons and well guarded by Vatican guards saying 'Silencio' and 'No Photos' very often. After the Sistine we visited St. Peter's. So many nooks and crannies and side altars! The Pieta is breathtaking. Then as a group we were ushered to the gift shop.
I don't remember any of our group staying after the tour so I can't help with those logistics. Your ABD guides will be a source of information on how to do get back in to the museum and then back to the Bernini Hotel area if need be.

Trust me, after you complete the tour with the group, the last thing you want to do is going back inside the museum. First, because it's hot, incredibly busy. Second because you should pay a new ticket to go back inside, and the line of individual people standing to get in is so long...
In our group we had a family that during the second day mentioned many times the Vatican, and they wanted to stay all day.... but at 11.30 when we get in the square they were the first to go back on the bus.
I've heard guides mentioning the possibility to reach the top of the Dome, but I guess it depends on how long the line is for that.

From the trip report just posted about Viva Italia, it sounds like you walk a short walk from the Vatican for lunch, so it seems you could go back there instead of taking the bus back to the hotel. We are thinking about going back also, don't know if we'll have the time I want to spend in the gift shop during the tour. Also thought about attending mass at St. Peter's at 5:00.

We really enjoyed the Vatican. But by the time that the tour was over and we headed to the gift shop, we felt we had seen the highlights and had no desire to fight the crowds and pay to get back in. But you can let the guides know that you are skipping the gift shop and then move on by yourself. If you want, you can return to the line and buy a ticket to get back in. But realize, you can not stay in museum and the Sistine Chapel without your tour guide. You have to leave and return on your own. You are admitted in a guided tour and must stay with the tour.

We didn't go in the gift shop at all. Instead we strolled around Rome on our own for the afternoon. We ended up back at the piazza where the artist hang out. Wish I could remember the name right now. You go through it on the first day tour. There are a number of great cafes in the square. So we sat outdoors at one and had a real Roman lunch for a couple of hours with great pasta and wine. It was a great place to people watch. And the walk from the Vatican to the hotel isn't bad at all. We were even able to hit the Disney Store on the way back to the hotel. They had some great Roma t-shirts with Mickey and sights from Rome on them.

From the trip report just posted about Viva Italia, it sounds like you walk a short walk from the Vatican for lunch, so it seems you could go back there instead of taking the bus back to the hotel. We are thinking about going back also, don't know if we'll have the time I want to spend in the gift shop during the tour. Also thought about attending mass at St. Peter's at 5:00.

In 2007 lunch was on our own after the Vatican. There sure are a number of places to choose from that are within walking distance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter