The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
<<<We are a small family - DH , me and DS 3.5 yrs. It will be a long long time before we have grand kids However we do look forward to taking DS to Disneyland atleast every alternate year. Just wondering if I should opt for the min of 160 points and accumulate them over 2 years to use them OR just buy 200 points so we can use them every year at other locations where DVC offers accomodations. I am not sure if its effective use of points if I use them to stay at RCI /cruise or other locations as well.>>>>

If you feel you do not need the 160, and if Disney is making that the minimum there (it sure seems they are getting inconsistent with minimums), then don't forget to look into resale to build your points to where you want them. I didn't want to buy 160..didn't think I'd need that many..HA! and so bought a resale of 25 points at OKW to get into the system. When VGC came online I bought a 60 and and a 65 point contract..I like having small contracts so if I feel I want to sell some I don't have to sell ALL. I then discovered I really did need more (surprise) and so have purchased 2 50 points contracts. I did all the add ons through Disney since at the time I didn't see any resales out there that fit my needs and use year. Once I had that little 25 points at OKW I was in the system and treated the same as aonther DVCer. I've since sold the OKW and come out pretty much even, so just have my 225 at VGC. I am totally confused at how RCI works (or doesn't) so don't know if I'll ever use points for that..cruises seem very high points useage..seems it would be easier to rent your points out then use cash to book the cruise, but if you don't want to do that, I say use points however YOU see them as being a good use for YOU. Good luck in your decision! Once you have DVC you might find your trips become more frequent and with more people involved in coming :)

Thanks Nunzia.
I want to start out with less points ( enough for half trip so I can accumulate over 2 years and use it for 1 trip every 2 years ) for VGC and add more points later on if needed. However our guide has told us that points MAY Not be available to add on later for VGC as they are in the final phase. Not sure if thats a sales gimmick or its a genuine heads up !!

<<<We are a small family - DH , me and DS 3.5 yrs. It will be a long long time before we have grand kids However we do look forward to taking DS to Disneyland atleast every alternate year. Just wondering if I should opt for the min of 160 points and accumulate them over 2 years to use them OR just buy 200 points so we can use them every year at other locations where DVC offers accomodations. I am not sure if its effective use of points if I use them to stay at RCI /cruise or other locations as well.>>>>

If you feel you do not need the 160, and if Disney is making that the minimum there (it sure seems they are getting inconsistent with minimums), then don't forget to look into resale to build your points to where you want them. I didn't want to buy 160..didn't think I'd need that many..HA! and so bought a resale of 25 points at OKW to get into the system. When VGC came online I bought a 60 and and a 65 point contract..I like having small contracts so if I feel I want to sell some I don't have to sell ALL. I then discovered I really did need more (surprise) and so have purchased 2 50 points contracts. I did all the add ons through Disney since at the time I didn't see any resales out there that fit my needs and use year. Once I had that little 25 points at OKW I was in the system and treated the same as aonther DVCer. I've since sold the OKW and come out pretty much even, so just have my 225 at VGC. I am totally confused at how RCI works (or doesn't) so don't know if I'll ever use points for that..cruises seem very high points useage..seems it would be easier to rent your points out then use cash to book the cruise, but if you don't want to do that, I say use points however YOU see them as being a good use for YOU. Good luck in your decision! Once you have DVC you might find your trips become more frequent and with more people involved in coming :)

Thanks Nunzia.
I want to start out with less points ( enough for half trip so I can accumulate over 2 years and use it for 1 trip every 2 years ) for VGC and add more points later on if needed. However our guide has told us that points MAY Not be available to add on later for VGC as they are in the final phase. Not sure if thats a sales gimmick or its a genuine heads up !!

No it is not a sales gimmick. I had to wait about 2 weeks for them to find points for my add-on in my use year. They were able to dig up the points, evidently from people who change their mind or they get them back through ROFR. Regardless, your guide is trying to push you into buying, they are telling the truth. BTW who is your guide?

You are getting points at $98/ point for VGC ? is that after incentives ? I was quoted $ 120/point for new membership

We are also addicted. We just returned from a short trip 1 night in a 1-bedroom villa and 2 nights in a GC hotel room. This was only booked a few weeks ago, so we were lucky to get the 1 night. This was our second trip to the villas, and when we arrived in the villa my wife said "we need more points" :thumbsup2
I called yesterday, and able to add 250 (split 125/125) at $98/point. Our guide was surprised that 525 points were available in the June use year. There have been a few posts about waitlists, so we feel lucky points were available :wizard:

We had villa 3502. The view is nice, but already somewhat obstructed by a tree. The trees are planted very closed to the building, and will block more of the view in coming years.
35021.JPG

Nonsuch - You got my attention when you said " we stay in a one-bedroom villa for the same cost as a regular hotel room" :) :)

You need to include the annual dues when evaluating DVC :teacher:

Some rough numbers:
$25K = 250 points.
dues are $4/point, so $1K per year on 250 points.

Expanding on this example.
We like to spend 5 days in early December at the Grand. This would be $1500 for a standard hotel room. 195 points would be needed for 5 weekdays in a one-bedroom villa. This means we stay in a one-bedroom villa for the same cost as a regular hotel room.

Of course these simple computations ignore many details. There is an opportunity cost of tying up $25K and annual dues will increase. Of course the rates for hotel rooms will also increase.

You are getting points at $98/ point for VGC ? is that after incentives ? I was quoted $ 120/point for new membership

By purchasing 125 points, I am getting $17 off the $120 per point price. I believe it was $10 off 50 and $15 off 100, we went for the extra with the better incentive. I still don't have enough!

When did you purchase your points ? I was offered very different incentives when I toured in Sept !!!

By purchasing 125 points, I am getting $17 off the $120 per point price. I believe it was $10 off 50 and $15 off 100, we went for the extra with the better incentive. I still don't have enough!

When did you purchase your points ? I was offered very different incentives when I toured in Sept !!!

Keep in mind there are different incentives for add-ons for existing members vs. new members.

I believe Alison (franandaj) was doing an add-on.

Oh that makes sense. Thank you :)
Typically do existing members get better incentives for adding-on points than new members get for points ?

Keep in mind there are different incentives for add-ons for existing members vs. new members.

I believe Alison (franandaj) was doing an add-on.

Typically do existing members get better incentives for adding-on points than new members get for points ?

Most of the time, but not always. Sometimes it's in pricing differences and sometimes in extra incentives like annual passes or cruises.

I bought my first contract via resale, and have added on the two VGC contracts through Disney. I really don't know about where the better incentives are. I know that you don't pay closing costs through Disney, but the points are sometimes more expensive.

I am looking at adding on two more contracts in Florida if our refinancing loan comes through....

Now that we're out, I can tell you that this was room 5504 - a dedicated studio, I think. We had a fairly great view of WOC, and watched it from the balcony maybe 3 or 4 times! From a distance, you can see that the highest fountain spouts match the height of the ferris wheel. Simply amazing. That said, it was still an entirely different and even more amazing experience from ground level. Recommend any standing location behind a railing for that; the railing provides something to lean on, and ensures that no one is standing in front of you.

Staying at VGCnow in a studio. Here's a shot of WOC from our balcony!

5039746423_bf9ae4496a_z.jpg

Having a fabulous time.

This was an add-on for existing members.
$120 is the base price
$20 is the incentive for 250 points
$2 is special discount for end of the Disney fiscal year (ended in September).
$120 - 20 - 2 = $98/point

The base price for VGC increased from 112 to 120 in July, since then the member incentives are:
$10 for 50 points
$15 for 100 points
$17 for 125 points
$20 for 250 points

The incentives for new members are:
$15 for 160 points
$17 for 200 points
$20 for 320 points

The incentives for members and non-members are usually different. There can also be different incentives only available by watching a webcast. The $2 end-of-fiscal-year incentive was only available by asking for it, the guide did not offer it to me (learned about it on dvcnews.com).

We are staying in the villas right now. I love Halloween Time at DL!
We attended Mickeys Halloween party last night. The air had a little chill to it, but it was perfect walking around weather. The lines to get candy were long at the start of the night, but they were more reasonable later on. We enjoyed getting on the rides with very short waits. It was such a pleasure to walk "home" after our fun evening.

Glad you are having a great time. I just read a review about MHP and it pretty much says the same as you said here. We are going on the 26th and staying at a one bedroom for four days. I can't wait to walk "home" after the party myself:).

We are going on the 26th and staying at a one bedroom for four days. I can't wait to walk "home" after the party myself:).
Enjoy your party! We were tickled that the candy they hand out is mainly minature candy bars (about 60%) such as snickers, milky way, twix, 3 musketeers, almond joy, nestle crunch, ghirardelli (assorted flavors), reeses peanutbutter cups & kit cats. 20% m&ms (plain and peanut), 10% tootsie rolls, 5% Dots and 5% misc assorted tootsie pops and assorted tootsie flavors, raisins and apple sluces

I had read here that the candy selection is better than it was in the past. I have attended every Halloween Party at DCA since 2005 (I think that was when it started) and am happy to learn of this year's selection. I do like the healthy selections, too. I am planning on not packing any sweets cuz we always get lots of candy even when we don't make the trick or treating the main event of the evening.

We are driving down this coming Thursday (Oct. 14th, DW's Birthday) and coming back Sunday night. Can't wait! It will fun to try out the Trick or Treat in DL and this trip will be my first opportunity to check out WOC. I think I'm always the most excited one in our family with my DGD being a close second.

Grumpygrandpa, happy for you and your DGD on your trip to DL this week. You should have a blast trick or treating with Mickey, and will absolutely love the WoC. The effects, music and the grandeur of the show will blow you away. Please post a TR when you get back (with pictures, of course!).

Grumpygrandpa, Have a great trip and I hope your DW has a magical birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter