The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I am not a DVC owner, and I don't know if I actually know anybody who is. But my mother works with a DVC owner, and he got us into VGC next July. Our group will have anywhere from 7 to 9 people, and we're going to stay in a two bedroom suite. We are really looking forward to it. It will be my youngest son's first Disney trip. My oldest son's first trip to DLR. Our first Disney vacation in about 8 years, and a small family reunion.
I would appreciate any tips or advice anybody could provide.
Thanks, and I look forward to talking to all of you.

Hi everyone!

We are closing this week (HOPEFULLY!) on a contract at SSR. We are honeymooning next September, including 3 nights at GCV if we can get it at 7 months out - our dates are 9/14 (Weds) through 9/17 (Sat). To ease my mind, does anyone have an opinion on how tough it will be to book at 7 months out? I'm getting nervous we won't have everything we need by 2/14 to book. If our DVC purchase is at all delayed, would it be impossible to book at say, 5 or 6 months out? We will only need a studio. We'll consider staying elsewhere on or off site if we have to. Thanks.

Welcome home & congratulations !! I think it should be okay considering your reservations begin in the middle of the week versus weekend. Studios are usually the first to go so make sure you have your back up plan just in case. If that should happen you could split your stay between the nearest off site and DVC. We do this ALL the time if a few of our dates are not available. We are locals and do LOTS of weekend staycations! ENJOY!!!!

Hi everyone!

We are closing this week (HOPEFULLY!) on a contract at SSR. We are honeymooning next September, including 3 nights at GCV if we can get it at 7 months out - our dates are 9/14 (Weds) through 9/17 (Sat). To ease my mind, does anyone have an opinion on how tough it will be to book at 7 months out? I'm getting nervous we won't have everything we need by 2/14 to book. If our DVC purchase is at all delayed, would it be impossible to book at say, 5 or 6 months out? We will only need a studio. We'll consider staying elsewhere on or off site if we have to. Thanks.

If you are not able to book right at 7 months then you will be waitlisting for a studio. That can certainly come thru but you would need to give it time. 5 or 6 months out just won't happen to book it immediately.

Hi everyone!

If you have enough points, I would recommend trying a few days earlier to book the days you want, so you have a few days to give it a shot. Then you can drop the days you don't want. Or, you could 'walk' your reservation by dropping and adding a day each day. I would recommend being on the computer logged in by 8 am EST and ready to hit that button, because they will probably go super fast.

If you are almost closing now, I would think you would be OK by 2/14, but I haven't been checking on the closing numbers recently.

You could always book a regular hotel room at the Grand as a back-up plan as well, and then cancel if needed.

Congratulations on your DVC purchase and your wedding coming up! party::earsgirl::earsboy:

If you have enough points, I would recommend trying a few days earlier to book the days you want, so you have a few days to give it a shot. Then you can drop the days you don't want. Or, you could 'walk' your reservation by dropping and adding a day each day. I would recommend being on the computer logged in by 8 am EST and ready to hit that button, because they will probably go super fast.

If you are almost closing now, I would think you would be OK by 2/14, but I haven't been checking on the closing numbers recently.

You could always book a regular hotel room at the Grand as a back-up plan as well, and then cancel if needed.

Congratulations on your DVC purchase and your wedding coming up! party::earsgirl::earsboy:

Thank you so much! That's exactly the answer I needed. Since I haven't been able to see the availability of rooms yet, I have no idea what it's like to book/drop as needed, but it's good to know that's a possibility. I may do that just to be safe. If we can't stay at the Villas we may try Disneyland Hotel or just a regular GC room. We just got our paperwork for closing yesterday so I am hoping the process is quick from here. We waited 8 weeks since ROFR for those. Thanks again!!

Thank you so much! That's exactly the answer I needed. Since I haven't been able to see the availability of rooms yet, I have no idea what it's like to book/drop as needed, but it's good to know that's a possibility. I may do that just to be safe. If we can't stay at the Villas we may try Disneyland Hotel or just a regular GC room. We just got our paperwork for closing yesterday so I am hoping the process is quick from here. We waited 8 weeks since ROFR for those. Thanks again!!
You are so welcome! We just bought our contracts last winter/late spring, so we are new to DVC as well. These boards are a gigantic help!! :goodvibes We just stayed on our first DVC trip a month ago at VGC and absolutely loved it. When you get a chance, find the post on this thread where the rooms are all labeled on a picture on the outside of the building. That will help you with room requests. Higher floor facing Paradise Pier rooms have amazing views! Enjoy--let us know how you do in February! :thumbsup2

Ok- I'm new to this thread, but let me make sure I understand this. I own DVC at Bay Lake. My booking window for our Aug 1-4 2016 stay opens on Jan. 1 2016. Are you saying to book the VGC room earlier, say July 29 so I get an earlier booking window, and then drop those days that I don't want later?

Ok- I'm new to this thread, but let me make sure I understand this. I own DVC at Bay Lake. My booking window for our Aug 1-4 2016 stay opens on Jan. 1 2016. Are you saying to book the VGC room earlier, say July 29 so I get an earlier booking window, and then drop those days that I don't want later?

It's called "walking a reservation". Once you get the initial reservation you call up daily and add a day at the end and drop a day at the beginning. Unless you have enough points to book the entire vacation starting a couple days early. Then once the actual booking window opens you call and drop the days in front that you don't want.

It's called "walking a reservation". Once you get the initial reservation you call up daily and add a day at the end and drop a day at the beginning. Unless you have enough points to book the entire vacation starting a couple days early. Then once the actual booking window opens you call and drop the days in front that you don't want.

It should be pointed out that walking a reservation is only guaranteed to work for an 11-month booking window. While walking a 7-month reservation can successfully block other 7-month bookers from the date, you CAN have a date that you are walking toward disappear by an owner booking within the 11-month window. It's not super likely, but it is a risk, and if you are using borrowed points or something where if you don't get the reservation the points go to waste it is just something to be aware of.

This will be our first time in a Grand Floridian Villa one bedroom in late January, just before taking a Fantasy cruise.
We have been DVC owners for 15 years but have never requested a specific room number before.
Can this be done? If so how and how likely is it that it will come through?

Thanks!
Tom C

This will be our first time in a Grand Floridian Villa one bedroom in late January, just before taking a Fantasy cruise.
We have been DVC owners for 15 years but have never requested a specific room number before.

Thanks!
Tom C

This is the thread for Grand Californian Villas at Disneyland. I think you're looking for Grand Floridian Villas at Disneyworld. Requesting specific room numbers is a common practice for Grand Californian Villas since it is so small. It is recommended against requesting specific room numbers at the DVC resorts in Florida.

Oh no!

So sorry for the post, but thanks for the response.
Stayed at the Grand Californian about 3 years ago with our first trip to DL.
We were also able to get into Club 33 on our first visit, it was amazing!

Tom C.

Thanks!
Tom C

Just to comment - I would not request a specific room at VGF. If it's not available then the room assignor has no idea about why you wanted that room and you may end up in something that is the exact opposite. Years and years ago I did that at WL and learned my lesson to never do it again! :laughing:

Hi everyone!

You should definitely waitlist, but have a backup plan. I would recommend Candy Cane Inn www.candycaneinn.net. 7 minute walk to park entrances and great place to stay.

You should consider two waitlists to maximize your odds. Wed&Thu and Fri&Sat. Do 7 day waitlist...

You should definitely waitlist, but have a backup plan. I would recommend Candy Cane Inn www.candycaneinn.net. 7 minute walk to park entrances and great place to stay.

You should consider two waitlists to maximize your odds. Wed&Thu and Fri&Sat. Do 7 day waitlist...

Great suggestion - thanks so much! We'll be at Aulani the week prior so I'll hopefully have one experience in booking with DVC under my belt by the time we have to book at GC.

This is the thread for Grand Californian Villas at Disneyland. I think you're looking for Grand Floridian Villas at Disneyworld. Requesting specific room numbers is a common practice for Grand Californian Villas since it is so small. It is recommended against requesting specific room numbers at the DVC resorts in Florida.
I just booked a one bedroom at VGC for our trip in July. Is there a list somewhere on this board that has a list of recommended room numbers?

...Is there a list somewhere on this board that has a list of recommended room numbers?
Assuming you want a World of Color view:
6502 (6th floor)
5508 (slightly better angle to WOC than x502)
5502, 4508, 4502, 3508, 3502
5514 (no WOC view, facing Redwood Creek, very quiet)
4514, 3514

Search this thread for "6502" for other view recommendations...

Hello.... Thinking about going to CA in early November..... Are the 1 bedroom units in "high demand" that time if year... We are VWL, so can nit book till the 7 month window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter