The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I assume that includes DLR??
Yes, it does. I was under the impression @ClaraOswald is talking about a December 2025 trip to WDW (I realize this is the VGC thread, but she’s posting in several threads regarding multiple trips), but it’s the same deal here as well (the first two weeks of December are actually in the second lowest season out of five for VGC.)

Last edited:
Pretty certain the walk started when the dates were released for the 2025 Disneyland Half Marathon weekend… 😵‍💫😵‍💫

Dang...so people wanting to do the half marathon in late January 2025 are already walking reservations over a month early?! Ugh. This makes me wonder just how far I'll need to start the process. Maybe November 2024?!

Yes, it does. I was under the impression @ClaraOswald is talking about a December 2025 trip to WDW (I realize this is the VGC thread, but she’s posting in several threads regarding multiple trips), but it’s the same deal here as well (the first two weeks of December are actually in the second lowest season out of five for VGC.)

Sorry that I'm all over the place talking about multiple trips. I'm a very Type A planner and still trying to navigate all of this DVC stuff. It's overwhelming and confusing. The December 2025 trip that I'm talking about walking is for DLR and our home resort of VGC. The only WDW trip we know we're definitely taking at this point is to BRV next month. We're throwing around the idea of WDW in January 2025 but no idea if we'll actually do that or not. So basically...

January 2024 = BRV (already booked)
June 2024 = VGC (already booked)
December 2025 = VGC (probably going to have to start "walking" in November 2024)

If all of my posting is bothering people, I can definitely stop.

You aren’t a bother to me at all!! I love your posts!

I started walking for this years half the minute it was announced- so about 6 weeks maybe. Then I switched it to a one bedroom about a week out from 11 months so it was not really necessary lol!

Sadly I think the serial renters now see the potential of run Disney weekends.

Sorry that I'm all over the place talking about multiple trips. I'm a very Type A planner and still trying to navigate all of this DVC stuff. It's overwhelming and confusing. The December 2025 trip that I'm talking about walking is for DLR and our home resort of VGC. The only WDW trip we know we're definitely taking at this point is to BRV next month. We're throwing around the idea of WDW in January 2025 but no idea if we'll actually do that or not. So basically...

January 2024 = BRV (already booked)
June 2024 = VGC (already booked)
December 2025 = VGC (probably going to have to start "walking" in November 2024)

If all of my posting is bothering people, I can definitely stop.
I don’t think he meant it like that. I think he meant that in his head he read your other posts and didn’t realize this post was in the Grand Cal thread. Not that you posting all over was any sort of negative thing, he just read too many to keep the trips separate. :)

You aren’t a bother to me at all!! I love your posts!

I started walking for this years half the minute it was announced- so about 6 weeks maybe. Then I switched it to a one bedroom about a week out from 11 months so it was not really necessary lol!

Sadly I think the serial renters now see the potential of run Disney weekends.
A popular topic is to complain about “walking”… when it’s the serial spec renters who really bug me… keep you SSR points at WDW unless you are actually going to use the reservation yourself or for someone who specifically asked for those dates! 🤣

I only have 160 points a year so I'm not even sure if I'll be able to walk a reservation for December 2025. I need to read up more on how it's done but I'm going to be really pissed if I can't even get my home resort for the dates I want when booking 11 months in advance. That's ridiculous. And makes me wonder if DVC is going to end up being a bad decision for us if we aren't able to go at one of our favorite times of the year.

I only have 160 points a year so I'm not even sure if I'll be able to walk a reservation for December 2025. I need to read up more on how it's done but I'm going to be really pissed if I can't even get my home resort for the dates I want when booking 11 months in advance. That's ridiculous. And makes me wonder if DVC is going to end up being a bad decision for us if we aren't able to go at one of our favorite times of the year.
I’m sort of in the same boat, I have 2 studios booked (for myself and friends) for mid November, but was hoping to switch to Dec 1st, but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to or not. Maybe they’ll be booked tomorrow, but will open up as the walking keeps moving closer to Xmas, or maybe not.?
And I’m really concerned if I swap one that the other one won’t be able to make the swap so I’ll have 2 rooms at different dates, then forced to bowed more to get a 2bdrm instead. :(

I only have 120 VGC points. If I’m walking, ideally I have more points than I need and I’ll book 4-5 nights and then modify and book foreword every 2-3 days. So if I need Dec 10-14, I’ll book Dec 1-5, then modify to 3-8 then 5-10, then 7-12 etc. You can do it day by day but I find if I have enough points I can do it every few. I’ve only walked twice- after not getting Memorial Day weekend at 11 months. Once for the race and once for OBB weekend dates next year. We are generally one bedroom people which are much easier to get so it’s not necessary. Race weekend was 100% necessary, the Oct weekend may not have been but with the refurb, I got nervous.

You should be fine. People are walking but I don’t think it’s necessarily for your desired week. Don was pointing out the point chart is lower over at WDW but it’s pretty much the same from Oct on at DLR. Plus if you walk you’ll have to compete for those that want Thanksgiving. I walk my reservations for WDW but that is because I want the standard deluxe studios during cheap point season. I almost didn’t get it for my Nov stay and was getting frustrated about it until I saw the walkers eventually walked past my dates. I grabbed them once they moved on. So as long as you’re not choosing a special events day/holiday, you should be okay.

You should be fine. People are walking but I don’t think it’s necessarily for your desired week. Don was pointing out the point chart is lower over at WDW but it’s pretty much the same from Oct on at DLR.
My point was that, just like WDW resorts, VGC point charts are at the second lowest during the majority of the holiday season, while parks are at their busiest (and before even the top-tier Inspire Key hits the block-out period). A studio at VGC weekday jumps from 20 points per night on 12/19, to 30 points on 12/20, so there is definitely a strong motivation for getting those dates the first week or so in December. Second lowest points period, school breaks, big crowds, and people trying to use their Magic Key before the block-out period starts = super busy and a ton of people fighting for DVC ressies.

Last edited:
Happy New Year 2024! From The Grand Californian.

QUESTION: is there a special event at the Grand, Napa Rose? A ton of people in formal wear, tux, gown, mink coats. It wasn’t this festive last year!
I asked a few cast members, which led me to receptionist at Napa Rose…and the answer is: The New Years Eve Gala!

Sold out annual experience, this year $425/person (+$125 for wine pairing). Auto Invitations to those who attended the previous year. Remaining 50% open to guests first come first served starting 60 days before Dec31.

Tux and gown event from 8-12 includes wine pairings, mixer starting at 7pm, dinner, desert, ball-drop viewing and celebration in NR.

ETA: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/grand-californian-hotel/napa-rose/

Last edited:
I asked a few cast members, which led me to receptionist at Napa Rose…and the answer is: The New Years Eve Gala!

Sold out annual experience, this year $425/person (+$125 for wine pairing). Auto Invitations to those who attended the previous year. Remaining 50% open to guests first come first served starting 60 days before Dec31.

Tux and gown event from 8-12 includes wine pairings, mixer starting at 7pm, dinner, desert, ball-drop viewing and celebration in NR.

ETA: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/grand-californian-hotel/napa-rose/
As soon as my kids are out of college… I am there!

“Black-tie attire and glamorous ballroom gowns are recommended, paired with an elegant mask.”

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpeg
    IMG_1070.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 10
You should be fine. People are walking but I don’t think it’s necessarily for your desired week. Don was pointing out the point chart is lower over at WDW but it’s pretty much the same from Oct on at DLR. Plus if you walk you’ll have to compete for those that want Thanksgiving. I walk my reservations for WDW but that is because I want the standard deluxe studios during cheap point season. I almost didn’t get it for my Nov stay and was getting frustrated about it until I saw the walkers eventually walked past my dates. I grabbed them once they moved on. So as long as you’re not choosing a special events day/holiday, you should be okay.

I think my main concern will be that we might want to arrive on the Sunday of the Candlelight Processional (with first park day being Monday.) We could probably arrive on Monday instead so that might help?

I think my main concern will be that we might want to arrive on the Sunday of the Candlelight Processional (with first park day being Monday.) We could probably arrive on Monday instead so that might help?
I think that might be smart. I'm local and I don't ever try to go to the parks that weekend. We only get 2 days here so it's insanely popular. I really think you should be fine but definitely follow along the next few weeks to see how people are booking for 2024 to get an idea.

Maybe. CP weekend is tough. Other days in December have historically been reasonable to book at 11 months but it seems to be tightening up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter