The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

When I searched this question, I only get older answers, so...
What is the current recommended best way to inform the powers-that-be about room preferences for DVC villas? We haven't been since the pandemic, and prior to that time, we had to call and have a note added to our reservation. Is that still the best option?

Looking forward to our 'return' in August! Thanks!!

I either chat or use the “email us” tab to send any type of request.

Do they allow to have family of 5 (2 adults + 2 x10 yo + 12 yo) stay in a studio?

Still waiting for ROFR on our first contract and the wait is killing us..... so to help with the wait we just went for two more VGC contracts and had the offer accepted/signed today..... I think we have a problem :)

On a side note a more serious question. Does anyone know what happens during the 2024 remodel and how/when they do that and what it does to the inventory? Would planning a trip where we might need a few rooms for a few days for a family reunion (2 or 3 rooms I would guess) not be a good thing to try and plan for June 2024?

Thanks again to all the people here who help with questions for DVC rookies like us :)

Still waiting for ROFR on our first contract and the wait is killing us..... so to help with the wait we just went for two more VGC contracts and had the offer accepted/signed today..... I think we have a problem :)

On a side note a more serious question. Does anyone know what happens during the 2024 remodel and how/when they do that and what it does to the inventory? Would planning a trip where we might need a few rooms for a few days for a family reunion (2 or 3 rooms I would guess) not be a good thing to try and plan for June 2024?

Thanks again to all the people here who help with questions for DVC rookies like us :)
Just to get this straight: the wait is killing you so much you put in offers for 2 more VGC contracts so you could do..... more waiting. 😐

That's the most DVC logic ever.

Your contracts will be fine. Disney dont make enough money on them to ROFR.

As for refurb: Disney will use their own points to take out rooms at various times for refurbishment. I am actually pretty excited to see the new room designs. The MFs have gone up in preparation of the refurbishment so I think they're going to be amazing. This is one of reasons I bought VGC resale as VDH will have spanking new rooms but so will the flagship one year after!! Sexy.

Just to get this straight: the wait is killing you so much you put in offers for 2 more VGC contracts so you could do..... more waiting. 😐

That's the most DVC logic ever.

Your contracts will be fine. Disney dont make enough money on them to ROFR.

As for refurb: Disney will use their own points to take out rooms at various times for refurbishment. I am actually pretty excited to see the new room designs. The MFs have gone up in preparation of the refurbishment so I think they're going to be amazing. This is one of reasons I bought VGC resale as VDH will have spanking new rooms but so will the flagship one year after!! Sexy.
Thanks for the info. And yes I was kind of being silly :) We know we wanted to get about X number of points and these will get us to where we want to be. I was waiting for ROFR on the first one but then I was like we just want to get them so we can start planning 2023 and beyond.

Now I just need to see if I can afford to buy a few points at VGF if I am lucky enough to get my membership before the direct discounts go away and we'll be done with buying points for a few years (I hope).

Thanks for the info. And yes I was kind of being silly :) We know we wanted to get about X number of points and these will get us to where we want to be. I was waiting for ROFR on the first one but then I was like we just want to get them so we can start planning 2023 and beyond.

Now I just need to see if I can afford to buy a few points at VGF if I am lucky enough to get my membership before the direct discounts go away and we'll be done with buying points for a few years (I hope).
Oh no, I love the logic of being impatient and then buying more and doing more waiting. Its hilarious. I buy more points that I don't need to "save money".

I remember you were considering VDH though right? Changed your mind?

Oh no, I love the logic of being impatient and then buying more and doing more waiting. Its hilarious. I buy more points that I don't need to "save money".

I remember you were considering VDH though right? Changed your mind?
VDH..... if I had unlimited funds I would. But The resale restrictions (likely) really scare me away. Plus now we should have enough VGC points to do almost everything we want in our Cali trips at VGC. And I hate to say, I don't think anyone in our family or friend group will be mad if I "make" them stay at VGC instead of VDH. I also think/fear that the point chart at VDH will be very close to VGC/Riviera (other new/premium resorts).

I also have to admit defeat and say that I've started to fall in love with more that's offered at WDW (I think you made fun of me about a post on this topic a few weeks ago.... I deserved it) :)

So getting direct points at VGF will be our explore WDW, help with Aulani stays, and allow us to ninja rooms at VDH when we can (it's not a bad drive for us). Plus we found out that it's Merry Poppins themed and that was a winner for my wife. CCV is also very high on a love/must visit for us in the coming years. VGC is still number one and a magical goal/aspiration for our family and now we are making it happen.

VDH..... if I had unlimited funds I would. But The resale restrictions (likely) really scare me away. Plus now we should have enough VGC points to do almost everything we want in our Cali trips at VGC. And I hate to say, I don't think anyone in our family or friend group will be mad if I "make" them stay at VGC instead of VDH. I also think/fear that the point chart at VDH will be very close to VGC/Riviera (other new/premium resorts).

The point chart will be high. I agree. Especially pool view.

For me it was the lack of balconies and horrendous views the majority of rooms have overlooking pylons, car parks and suburbia. VGC sounds perfect.

So getting direct points at VGF will be our explore WDW, help with Aulani stays, and allow us to ninja rooms at VDH when we can (it's not a bad drive for us). Plus we found out that it's Merry Poppins themed and that was a winner for my wife. CCV is also very high on a love/must visit for us in the coming years.

Great plan! VGF is lovely. Not as luxe as VGC but still beautiful. Aulani, of course, is a jewel.

VGC is still number one and a magical goal/aspiration for our family and now we are making it happen.

That's the crux of it. Welcome Home.

I would love to hear from anyone who is there now (or soon) about the possibility of using the new Paradise Pier entrance as a GC Villas guest. I saw a walkthrough late last night on Facebook (that I can't find this morning), and the walkway goes right past the barbeque area of the Villas (nothing separating the two areas) with the exterior doorways of the Villa building right there. It would be much more convenient than using the traditional DCA entrance and exit. However, the signs at the gate near Disneyland Way say PP guests only.

I would love to hear from anyone who is there now (or soon) about the possibility of using the new Paradise Pier entrance as a GC Villas guest. I saw a walkthrough late last night on Facebook (that I can't find this morning), and the walkway goes right past the barbeque area of the Villas (nothing separating the two areas) with the exterior doorways of the Villa building right there. It would be much more convenient than using the traditional DCA entrance and exit. However, the signs at the gate near Disneyland Way say PP guests only.
This might partially answer your question though I look forward to hearing others weigh in. And of course they could change the policy over time:

Post in thread 'New Back Entrance to DCA?':
https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-back-entrance-to-dca.3878784/post-64074800

This might partially answer your question though I look forward to hearing others weigh in. And of course they could change the policy over time:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-back-entrance-to-dca.3878784/post-64074800
Thanks! I guess my question is if they check room keys after the gate that requires them to enter. And, if so do they let DVC guests or Disney Resort guests in general to pass through security, etc. or just PP guests. Hopefully someone staying there will try it and report back!

Thanks for sharing that info! Going to be monitoring that thread and hopeful that they will make it official that VGC guests can use that for entry/exit into the park. That’s even more convenient than the other one :)

We used the gate as an exit with no problems. They asked if we were returning to our resort hotel but not Paradise Pier specifically. They did not ask for a room key. We were staying at the Grand Californian and found the additional exit very handy.
I believe there is a post over on the Disneyland thread that DLH guests staying in the Frontier Tower decided to try it as a shortcut into DCA and were allowed entry. The DLH key cards did open the security gate and they were allowed entrance once they got to the security checkpoint and actual entrance gate at Goofy's Sky School.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter