The WALDORF ASTORIA ORLANDO and HILTON BONNET CREEK Information Thread

WA Golf Club reservations started being taken on 9-1:

Waldorf Astoria Golf Club Opens October 1, 2009

Written by GolfOrlandoFlorida Editor July 07, 2009

Peter Kacheris, managing director of Bonnet Creek, home to the Waldorf Astoria® Orlando and Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek, announced the addition of the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club to the destination’s extensive list of amenities. Created by acclaimed golf course architect Rees Jones, the 18-hole, 7,113-yard championship course is the centerpiece of the first golf club for the Waldorf Astoria brand. The Waldorf Astoria Golf Club will also feature a clubhouse and be open for play October 1, 2009, the same day as all of Bonnet Creek, conveniently surrounded on three sides by Walt Disney World® Resort.

“As the first Waldorf Astoria to be built outside of New York City, our desire is to pay tribute to the landmark hotel’s legendary past and create new traditions. Due to our distinctive preserve setting, there is a sense of being alone with nature, playing the ‘game of kings’ in a fairy tale forest,” says Kacheris.

One of the few golf courses in the Orlando area to be free of real estate dotting its greens, the Waldorf Astoria Golf Club is open to all players – those staying at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando or Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek and those who want to experience a piece of history. Although designed with a five-tee system for all playing abilities, the course is challenging. Winding through a large wetland preserve, it has a par 72, slope 130 and 72.5 rating from its professional tees.

Holes are visually arresting from tee to green and require intelligent management of the game. Bunkers are carved to be reminiscent of the hazards designed on courses a century ago. Majestic stands of pine and cypress trees line the fairways. The style was dictated by the land's existing contours, which Jones then enhanced, always mindful of the natural elements and environmental sensitivity.

“Opening the first Waldorf Astoria Golf Club in conjunction with legendary designer Rees Jones is a tremendous monumental addition to Bonnet Creek and the golfing public,” states Ted Ratcliff, senior vice president, North Eastern Americas for Hilton Hotels Corporation. “We are thrilled to be part of Orlando ’s prominent golf community and look forward to introducing the Waldorf Astoria experience to visitors of our hotels and the destination.”

The Waldorf Astoria Golf Club will begin taking reservations September 1, 2009. Please call 1-888-WA –GOLF-1 (1-888-924-6531) to arrange a tee time. The Clubhouse is located at 14224 Bonnet Creek Resort Lane , Orlando , Florida 32821 . Its phone number is 407-597-3300.

:cool1::banana::cool1::woohoo:

Hello,

First post here so forgive lack of profile pic etc which I haven't yet organised. Just to advise that it seems I will be one of the first to stay at WAO - arriving on 8th October for 2 weeks from UK. Am totally excited! Have been many times to Disney/LBV resorts but I am really looking forward to the luxury (I hope) of the Waldorf.

Thanks to all those who have made enquiries and got info in advance - I had not even thought about EMH so if there is anything on that, it will be a bonus.

It appears that everything is well on track for 1st Oct opening but I am secretly hoping that there will be some snagging issues so that we can get given some freebies while there to compensate!

I will update with a hotel report on my return.

Regards
Twinsaunt

Hello,

First post here so forgive lack of profile pic etc which I haven't yet organised. Just to advise that it seems I will be one of the first to stay at WAO - arriving on 8th October for 2 weeks from UK. Am totally excited! Have been many times to Disney/LBV resorts but I am really looking forward to the luxury (I hope) of the Waldorf.

Thanks to all those who have made enquiries and got info in advance - I had not even thought about EMH so if there is anything on that, it will be a bonus.

It appears that everything is well on track for 1st Oct opening but I am secretly hoping that there will be some snagging issues so that we can get given some freebies while there to compensate!

I will update with a hotel report on my return.

Regards
Twinsaunt

:welcome: to the DIS and the WAO/HBC thread!

It is so exciting that you will be there in just about one month, and for a two week stay:thumbsup2.

Yours would most likely be the first DISboards TR of the WAO. :worship:I can't wait to read your review (pictures would be the icing on the cake:cake:). It's been a little hard visualizing our first off-site stay in a hotel that hasn't even opened yet and that no one has written any review of. But, on the positive side, it has kept me from having second thoughts as I often do when I read negative reviews:sad2:.

What room-type have you booked? Do you plan on dining there or at the HBC? I would love to read your impressions of the food and about the price ranges and types of food served.

I hope you have a great vacation and :thanks: so much for posting your TR:yay:.

Thanks for the welcome WDWKook - I usually read forums avidly rather than contribute (apologies) unless I feel really inspired by something - like the Waldorf! 4 weeks today and 20 hours travel later we will be there, whether it is open or not! :woohoo: I will definitely write a TR and will attempt photos - though hopefully by then resort website will have actuals shots rather than generic Mum, Dad and kids with Minnie balloon that could be taken in my back garden!

We are staying in a deluxe suite which has a great area of about 1450sq ft - I am hoping with a balcony which I have requested (along with Disney view) but there appears to be a mix of suites with/without. I hoped for the balcony as hubby and I both smoke (I know! :sad2:) but I subsequently see there are no smoking at all in the rooms so that's up the spout. We travel with teenage daughter - this way, she will get sleeper sofa in living area with her own tv. There appears to be a fridge in the suite which will be handy - that's all we need in terms of kitchen items when on holiday. I will ask when we check-in about upgrade to the 2 bedroom suite which would really be fab! Surely they will want to "test" out all rooms in the early days for snagging and will gladly upgrade us to luxury for no cost so we can give feedback? :rolleyes:

We are veteran travellers to the Orlando area and have done every combination of bookings options/travel from here in Scotland. This time, I used a hotel consolidation website that I have never used before - made me a bit nervous as the price was so so reasonable but have checked them out and seems to be fine - ha! I am not going to name them yet as I am sure someone will then write "do not use xxxx" - I will reserve judgement until I get there and it all works out.

I intend to eat in both the WAO and the HBC - that to me is one of the selling points of this complex - the range of restaurants/bars that you have available - it does get a pest sometimes when you have to drive every night. I anticipate that the WAO eateries will not be "keenly" priced but that is fine as you should surely assume in advance it will not be cheap. I am assuming that the HBC dining will have more of a range of pricing to accomodate differing budgets. We will still travel off-site of course for some meals to favourite eateries. My main hope is that the breakfast options are good - best meal of the day but you don't want a) to have to pay over the top £££'s and b) you don't want it too rich/heavy. I will update on the food of course. I have sent an email to the hotel asking if there are any tv facilities in any of the bars (we love our US sports of an evening) but no response yet - I assume there will be at least in the Hilton.

Husband spends a good chunk of the day at hotel sunbathing while daughter and I "do" Disney - sadly there is only so much Mickey he has been able to take over the years.:eek: So it was a major consideration for us what the hotel will be like in these first few days - he doesn't a) want things not to be open/ready and b) likes some hustle and bustle about the place so that he doesn't feel like he is the only one not experiencing the "magic". Hopefully with the excellent deals that are being offered just now, we will not be on our own with the staff!

I have a slight apprehension about the WAO that it could be overly stuffy - cannot be bothered with that - the truly best hotels do not have to rely on pretentiousness from either staff or guests to create a great ambiance. Sure with the experienced staff they seem to be recruiting, it will be fine.

So very much looking forward to this hotel - it is hard to tell whether they will be a significant threat to the Disney deluxe resorts business - I would say yes for the experienced Orlando traveller who appreciates the "World" but doesn't want to be immersed in it 24/7 paying a very high price to do so.

Best regards
Twinsaunt

Thanks for the welcome WDWKook - I usually read forums avidly rather than contribute (apologies) unless I feel really inspired by something - like the Waldorf!
So very much looking forward to this hotel - it is hard to tell whether they will be a significant threat to the Disney deluxe resorts business - I would say yes for the experienced Orlando traveller who appreciates the "World" but doesn't want to be immersed in it 24/7 paying a very high price to do so.

Best
Twinsaunt
respectfully snipped

Hi, I'd like to add my welcome to the DIS! I am looking forward to your trip report, even a few sentences will help.

Your last paragraph says it all. My daughter and I go to WDW at least twice a year and we've stayed at every deluxe except AKL. Disney definitely charges premium prices for what they call a deluxe hotel that is anything but.

For our April trip, I've booked BLT for a couple of nights before moving to BWV but I'm seriously considering a switch to either WAO or the HBC because we love true luxury hotels. 9 times out of 10 we've been staying at either the Dolphin or the Swan which are very nice. I'm anxious to see the difference.

Thanks for the welcome WDWKook - I usually read forums avidly rather than contribute (apologies) unless I feel really inspired by something - like the Waldorf!

I am also very much looking forward to your post-stay report. You have a very engaging writing style, and I'm sure any report would be both informative and entertaining!

rie'smom - Did you book BLT with DVC points? If so, I would definately try your stay there. We did one night last week with a few leftover points we had and it was wonderful. However, if you booked cash, I may reconsider and the only reason is because I think the huge draw is Top of the World - the view is SPECTACULAR. But, you can't go up there if you payed cash for the room. Just my two cents.

Thank you Mechteach and Rie'smom for your kind words. :grouphug:

I feel under no pressure whatsoever re this all-important first stay hotel review and will not be taking scribbled notes throughout all moments of the fortnight's stay to ensure literary masterpiece of a report upon return :laughing: Of course, sure as fate some random poster will stay there opening night and submit a cursory review which will be "the first" and take away shine from my excitement.

Rie'smom - When I first started coming to Orlando (25 years ago with parents), it would have been my dream to stay in a deluxe Disney resort every time I returned. However, perhaps age and experience has changed me - much as daughter and I adore the World, even I would not stay in a Disney hotel now (though I might when the twins in my user name are lucky/old enough to make their first trip). There is choice and more relaxation elsewhere and it also has to be said, better service and value. For us, this is our main 2 week annual holiday and it is nice to break up the days at the theme parks (which I could navigate in my sleep I know them so well now) with traditional holiday r & r. Believe me, there is still plenty of magic to be felt in the theme parks, I don't feel the need to pay over the top $$$ for a fraction of that magic in a Disney hotel.

I get the impression that it can be a bit of a conveyor belt of guests in Disney hotels and they do/did have a captive market which I think that sometimes affects the customer service.
I think some people are scared to make that initial break away from Disney hotels if they have done it year after year - I can understand the comfort of going to what you know - but heck, the parks are still going to be there and if you want to go back to the hotels for meals etc, then you still can while staying off-site. If you do decide to go for the WAO or HBC, then I think the luxury and the choice of restaurants without the hassle of prolonged waiting for a table (as an example) will more than compensate for not seeing the Boardwalk aspect as you walk/look out of the Swan or Dolphin (I know that is special though). When you are lucky enough to go a couple of times a year, then no serious harm done if you try something off-site for one trip and it doesn't work out.

Forgot to mention in previous postings - husband will hopefully play golf on-site while we are there so I can feedback on course quality/difficulty for those interested. Whether daughter and I avail ourselves of spa facilities, not sure yet - perhaps for the good of this forum and for purely review requirements I should force myself.

Kind regards,
Twinsaunt

Twinsaunt:

Six short months ago I, too was only a DIS Lurker:surfweb:. I'm glad that you felt inspired enough to expand your interests to include DIS Poster! We will certainly profit more by it:).

I'm glad that you're the adventuresome type and do plan to try some of the restaurants. I'm hoping that they will soon post a sample menu, such as WDW, The Greenbrier, etc... do. Don't they know we're all OC planners:laughing:?

I think you are actually in the "Extra" Deluxe Suite:laughing:. Our Deluxe Suite is only about 950 sq. ft. Our DD, who will be 11, will also be partaking in the sleeper sofa. Though she would much prefer a "real" bed, as she calls it, I don't consider it very cruel considering the "upscale ambiance" surrounding the sleeper sofa.

I think I was on that "WDW Resorts conveyor belt of guests" you wrote about. We've had at least a dozen on-site stays (pretty much in a row), and it was time to broaden our hotel horizons in search of better and more consistent cleanliness and customer service. The new WA seems like it will be a good fit for us, and perhaps some other mildly disgruntled and disillusioned WDW guests;). Every resort has pluses and minuses, but we were increasingly finding more and more minuses every trip. If the WA has high levels of consistent cleanliness and customer service, they will have a convert (unless, of course their prices rise exponentially:().

As for the spa, I think that you must try it - purely for informational purposes, of course;). If you don't, you'll always wonder, "What would that Seaweed-Feng Shiu-Detox-Boysenberry-Mineral-Slap Wrap have been like?"

Have you started packing?

WDWKook,

My excitement had got the better of me - wishful thinking made me anticipate that I was already booked into the luxury suite of immense sq footage - in reality think I am in the 950 sq ft as per you, but know the check-in desk will realise their mistake! :laughing:

In the event of no upgrade, my 14 year old daughter will be 'relegated' to the sofa bed - any complaints from her however and she will be soundly berated. I have the benefit of carrot and stick approach - she is the OC member of family and has prepared the dreaded day by day holiday planner which includes a minimum of 7 trips to MK - any playing up from her and I withdraw my compliance with the schedule - works a treat! As long as there are enough surfaces in the room for her to lay out numerous amounts of teenage "essentials" with requisite amount of precise space between each item, then she should be happy enough. Seriously, I hope the sofa bed is relatively comfy - there are some back breakers out there.

I have seen the new photos on Facebook you posted a link to- all looks nice. I did not like the look of the bedroom decor at HBC on the website and not sure about the lobby there on these new pics so continue to be really pleased plumped for the Waldorf. I see they are choosing the menus just now - I hope there are some on website before I leave so I can get a feel for each restaurant on site. Thinking about it, I actually did not eat a single dinner in my last 2 trips (of 2 weeks each) in a Disney-based restaurant so I have broken that habit too! It will be interesting to see how practical it is to flit between the 2 hotels - for eating and spending time by the pool etc - see there are several options.

I have a feeling that the prices of the WA will rise significantly by Q2 2010 - we are getting the benefit now of them luring guests in. By the time recession truly over and they have been up and running for some time, prices will go up.

Still cannot guarantee will partake in spa treatment - your description sounds like something that blows into your face for free here in coastal Scotland while walking down the street - in summer :eek: so no point in paying for it!

I will do my packing 2 nights before we leave for Orlando - even daughter will probably just be the weekend before as she will be on homework till the day we leave. Hubby is night before - we are relaxed on that front.

I say I don't have OCD but.......am quite excited that may be able to walk on this hotel bedroom carpet in bare feet as should be pristine!

Will keep looking out for more hotel updates as grand opening approaches.

Best regards

I am very much looking forward to the WA. After so many WDW on-site trips we go to the parks less and less. We do like the resturants and to relax but the food at WDW has gone down in quality and variety. I think the WA will satisfy our need for fine resturants/luxury and close proximity to the parks for the day or so that we do go.

Last trip stayted at the BW and went to MK just 1 day.

Thanks for posting the Facebook page. I have to admit I can't get into Twitter. It's so exciting to see that we have people going very soon - it will be great to get those trip reports. We did see the buildings last week. I never knew that wasn't WDW property. I think I'm going to extend my work meeting stay there in January either the weekend before or the weekend after. Has anyone ever done a solo visit? Seems kinda strange, but then again, our recent trip felt a bit strange being there without the kids.

Thanks for the link to the facebook page! I never would have thought to look for them there. It turns out that they have a twitter account as well: http://twitter.com/BonnetCreek

Thanks for posting the Facebook page. I have to admit I can't get into Twitter. It's so exciting to see that we have people going very soon - it will be great to get those trip reports. We did see the buildings last week. I never knew that wasn't WDW property. I think I'm going to extend my work meeting stay there in January either the weekend before or the weekend after. Has anyone ever done a solo visit? Seems kinda strange, but then again, our recent trip felt a bit strange being there without the kids.

You're welcome, mechteach and tink_lover.

Much to their dismay, Disney was never able to purchase those 500 acres surrounded on three sides by WDW. Here is a link to a wonderful site that covers the history and development of Bonnet Creek: http://www.yesterland.com/bonnet.html

I am very much looking forward to the WA. After so many WDW on-site trips we go to the parks less and less. We do like the resturants and to relax but the food at WDW has gone down in quality and variety. I think the WA will satisfy our need for fine resturants/luxury and close proximity to the parks for the day or so that we do go.

Last trip stayted at the BW and went to MK just 1 day.

I agree, the food quality and portion sizes (but, not the prices:sad2:) have gone down each year, it seems. IMHO, I think that the dining plan started this precipitous decline.

It's too bad that we just can't get as excited about the table service dining at WDW anymore. We still really like Tokyo Dining, CA Grill and Le Cellier, but I worry that they, too have declined since last year:guilty:

Well this being my 1st post and my Heyyy to all of you all in DIS world!...I'm sadly an Orlando townie lol but I just had to post on this thread being that I'll be there a lot and getting paid over at the WA and just from walking around the property its truly amazing..make sure you try the spa out I know I will be..its really quite incredible

Hey SpaHopper!! Welcome to the DIS!! Are you working at the WA? Can you tell us what you will be doing? I'm looking forward to my trip in January. Of course, there will probably be feet of snow and sub-zero temps along with windchill in MN at that time which doubles the fun of going to FL :)

Hey SpaHopper!! Welcome to the DIS!! Are you working at the WA? Can you tell us what you will be doing? I'm looking forward to my trip in January. Of course, there will probably be feet of snow and sub-zero temps along with windchill in MN at that time which doubles the fun of going to FL :)

I'll be over at the wa spa with my ever so lovely smile lol. I'll try and take some pics this week

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter