• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Wish ship, what is the low down with it?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
So does Disney have the new ship the Wish being built right now? I haven't been keeping up with the news. If so, do you think they will finish it and if not, do you think they will cancel it due to the virus?

Technically they haven't laid the "keel" for the ship yet, in Papenburg they're still working on a delayed schedule of work days, reducing the exposure risk for employee's, closing down the visitors center as well. Currently The Odyssey of the Seas and AIDAcosma are under construction in Hall 6, and the Spirit of Adventure in Hall 5. Once they float out the Odyssey from Hall 6 they can lay the Keel for the Wish, originally schedule for steel cutting was 3/22 but apparently that's been delayed as well.

So does Disney have the new ship the Wish being built right now? I haven't been keeping up with the news. If so, do you think they will finish it and if not, do you think they will cancel it due to the virus?

Assuming they even could cancel it at this point, why would they?

I think that it may be a bit delayed because of all of this, but with everything drawn out and the three ships on the books I highly doubt that they would cancel them at this point.

Plus, although I love the Magic and Wonder, they are definitely not getting any younger. 20+ years for a ship is quite long despite the fact that they have been kept in such amazing condition.

Average lifespan is about 25-30 years for a passenger vessel.....and with DCL's care I feel it could be longer. Eventually the Magic and Wonder will probably have a total overhaul but I can't see them scrapping those vessels, even when all three new ones come out. DCL always said they wanted a fleet of 10 ships. Maybe one day they will be gone but not for awhile!!!! I hope!!!

MJ

It's way too premature to be sounding the death knell for the cruise industry. It's going to take a financial hit for sure, some might come out of it with being forced to either sell out their brand to other cruise lines or just fold, but over all I think the cruise industry will come back, new ships and all. There's no word and I doubt that there will be of DCL de-comissioning any ships at this point and as for the Wish and NN 2022 and NN 2023, they are under a signed contract with the ship builder Meyer-Werft so backing out of those contracts is a complicated and costly endeavor, the only changes possible would be a delay on delivery for each ship. Since they're under a reduced hour working day and reduced work force that's something to be expected for all builds right now. Hopefully they'll ramp up again soon and get back to supplying the whole industry with cost saving, eco friendly liners that we can all eventually enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter