• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Z family takes WONDER-ful Alaska! 9/1/14

Well I DID IT! I finally found the perfect excursion to replace the horseback riding in Skagway!

It had great reviews on trip advisor and was $40 per person cheaper than the horseback riding! Can ya guess?? Can ya guess? Well, CAN YA!?!? :hyper:

Drum roll please..... We Booked the Musher's Camp and dog sledding excursion!!! :banana::dance3::woohoo::yay: I am so excited! I did all kinds of research and it sounded perfect for all of us! And how Alaskan! :good vibes

I am finally starting to feel like this is real. I even started the online check in process last night. DMIL and DFIL are in Vermont this weekend for a quick get away and DMIL sent me a text about how excited she was and how she was going to go shopping for cruise outfits. It's those texts that make me so happy to know we are fulfilling one of her travel dreams. :thumbsup2

Good Evening everyone! Hope you all had a nice weekend. I know I did! Yesterday DH went fishing with his friend so I took the liberty of doing a lot of household chores :laundry: and then treating myself! Went to the store and found a LOVELY long sleeve dress for $29 that'll be perfect for brunch or dinner one night on the cruise, and then went to get a much needed pedicure :thumbsup2 I was a good day! Today I tended to my garden and then DH, the pups, and I swam in the pool. We just finished watching the world cup final (congrats Germany) and now I'm back to lurking the boards for cruise info!

In my lurking i've decided to do a few things this cruise that I didn't do on the last two

1.) I have a MAJOR (and I mean bordering unhealthy) obsession with Vera Bradley. This is a very small portion of my collection. Anyway I didn't know that there was no limit to the amount of carry-ons you're allowed to bring onto the ship. As you can see i have a Disney Vera backpack. That is definitely my carry on for both the plane and the boat. BUT I'm thinking of packing my vera large duffle and using that to pack things that we want as soon as we get on board. And also... our booze. :rotfl2:

2.) WHY DID I NEVER KNOW ABOUT THE COOKIES AND MILK AT BED TIME?!?!? :confused3 I love cookies and milk! I am going to be getting this every night before bed. I'm also going to get them for DMIL and DFIL too! Has anyone else done the cookies and milk at bed time? If it is a chilly night do you think we could get cookies and hot chocolate? :scratching

3.) Binoculars. I talked with someone who used to work in Alaska and they said to DEFINITELY bring binoculars to watch the wildlife. No i have to go find a pair.

It seems like every time I think I have this cruise figured out, i get another idea! hahahaaa!!

Oh and DH, Mr. I don't get excited until I arrive, Randomly said to me today "Whoa, it just hit me, we are really close to the cruise! I'm getting excited!" LOL FINALLY! :lmao:

Well that's all I have for updates. I will hopefully be making the magnets next week and I will share them as soon as they are done. I also should have my packing list complete too! ONLY 48 MORE DAYS!!!:hourglass

Sooo I realized I have a little bit of a problem and I need your help. I all of a sudden had it hit me just how long i'll be on a plane and had a slight panic attack... :scared1:

Between the two flights it is going to take us to get from NH to Vancouver it is going to be 8 hours sitting... just sitting on the plane. Never mind the time sitting in airports between the flights.

When we fly to MCO it only take 2 and a half to 3 hours which is no big deal. But last year I went on a business trip to Texas, that flight was 4 and a half hours. At about the 3 and a half hour mark I panicked. I could have crawled out of my skin. I think I kissed the ground when I got off the plane.

So what should I do? I"m thinking i'll bring the laptop and iPad to watch movies and maybe down load a season of a show but even doing that I start to get antsy. I don't like taking any kind of medicine but I almost wonder if I should take some benadryl and knock myself out! :rotfl2: What do you all do when you're traveling on a plane for a long time? Any tips or tricks you can share with me?

Sooo I realized I have a little bit of a problem and I need your help. I all of a sudden had it hit me just how long i'll be on a plane and had a slight panic attack... :scared1:

Between the two flights it is going to take us to get from NH to Vancouver it is going to be 8 hours sitting... just sitting on the plane. Never mind the time sitting in airports between the flights.

When we fly to MCO it only take 2 and a half to 3 hours which is no big deal. But last year I went on a business trip to Texas, that flight was 4 and a half hours. At about the 3 and a half hour mark I panicked. I could have crawled out of my skin. I think I kissed the ground when I got off the plane.

So what should I do? I"m thinking i'll bring the laptop and iPad to watch movies and maybe down load a season of a show but even doing that I start to get antsy. I don't like taking any kind of medicine but I almost wonder if I should take some benadryl and knock myself out! :rotfl2: What do you all do when you're traveling on a plane for a long time? Any tips or tricks you can share with me?

I know how you feel!! I am the same way. I have always lived on either the West or East coast…and guess what…DH's family all lives on the west and my family all lives on the East, so either place we live…..we still have to do the dreaded cross country flight. :rotfl2: I hate flying! But I have gotten better about it over time. Sounds corny but I love this book called Flying without Fear. It gave me some good tips on how to get myself out of feeling like you explained. I also like distractions. I love Jet Blue for the TVs in the seat. I would bring some movies that you really want to see. Bring a puzzle that you really want to get done. Anything that is a nice distraction helps. Also, another thing….that sounds lame but works for me, is I come up with some mantra in my head. Either… I can do this…almost in Alaska. Or "Nothing to worry about….people do this every day" Or "Can't wait to see Mickey" Something to keep my eye on the prize so to speak. :love: I find if I remind myself why I am doing it, I am much better at it. Also, remember the flight home will be much shorter then the flight there due to tail winds. So the LONGEST will be there. So once you do that, going home is easy. :thumbsup2 Bring anything that relaxes you, music too if it helps. Maybe start listening to it now and thinking of calming thoughts so you are trained to feel that way when you start listening on the flight. Lastly, if you are on a plane with a tv, they sometimes have the little flight tracker on there. Not sure why but I like looking at those. They help me see where we are in the flight and how far we have already gone. Good luck!! You will be fine.

Thanks WallaWallakids! The mantra might be helpful! :good vibes

I definitely think I'm going to need a mimosa or a bloody Mary in the airport! :rotfl2: I've identified a few series and movies that i'm going to buy on iTunes and watch on the plane. :thumbsup2 I just need to remember to stay calm and not panic!

Thanks WallaWallakids! The mantra might be helpful! :good vibes

I definitely think I'm going to need a mimosa or a bloody Mary in the airport! :rotfl2: I've identified a few series and movies that i'm going to buy on iTunes and watch on the plane. :thumbsup2 I just need to remember to stay calm and not panic!

You can do it! :thumbsup2

Happy Sunday!

Sorry I've been MIA, work has been crazy!!! :scared: I'm looking forward to this trip more and more for the sheer fact that I WON'T be in work!

Anyway, not too much to update on. I took out my big red suitcase,I have half of my packing list completed, and I am (as we speak) washing some of my winter items and getting them ready to pack in my suitcase. :laundy: I figured it would be smart to pack those items I know I won't be needing between now and then. I'm being a bad Disney traveler and I haven't completed our magnets yet. I went to do a trial run and we ran out of colored ink :mad: DH is going to go fishing next saturday so I'll probably use that alone time to get ink and do some crafting :thumbsup2

I put Dh in charge of transportation to the airport the morning of our flight. Mister high roller said he is going to book a limo to come get us... i'm still unsure if he was kidding or not. :upsidedow I guess i'll find out when they come pick us up! hahaha!

I have a Mani/Pedi booked for the saturday before we leave, I have a hair appointment for the week before we go, and DD has been gracious enough to agree to watch our house and the puppy kids while we are gone. Everything seems to be coming together. Now if i could just quell my anxiety about the actual travel I should be alright!

I can't believe we are only 34 days out until we leave!:woohoo:

We did the Mixology on the Fantasy a year ago, and we mixed drinks like you did. It is my understanding (from reading many reports) that now four of the drinks are already made when you get there, and they randomly pick just a few people to make the fifth drink. I sure hope this isn't the case. Also we are going to Alaska next year, so I have been doing a ton of reading. It is my understanding that blankets are provided on deck. Not sure if you knew that or not, since you were thinking of bringing your own. Although yours are very cute.

We did the Mixology on the Fantasy a year ago, and we mixed drinks like you did. It is my understanding (from reading many reports) that now four of the drinks are already made when you get there, and they randomly pick just a few people to make the fifth drink. I sure hope this isn't the case. Also we are going to Alaska next year, so I have been doing a ton of reading. It is my understanding that blankets are provided on deck. Not sure if you knew that or not, since you were thinking of bringing your own. Although yours are very cute.

Well hello there and welcome! :wave2:

I really hope the mixology activity hasn't changed since we did it in 2012. We had so much fun making all the drinks! :dance3:

Thank you for confirming that they do have blankets on the boat! I had heard about it but wasn't 100% sure :thumbsup2

I hope my pre trip report and trip report later on help you for your alaskan cruise next year! :goodvibes

Happy Sunday!!! :cool1:

I've had such a rough week at work and my life is a wee bit upside down at the moment. BUT I can't let work get me down because in 28 days we will be heading to Vancouver!!! :cheer2::cool1::dance3:

DMIL and DFIL came over for supper last night and we had a lot of fun! We talked about all things cruise! I even showed DMIL and DFIL a youtube video of the special horn on the Disney boats!

I have my packing list, somewhat, sorted out and the big red suitcase is starting to get packed full. I tried on my formal gown and I do need to either get it taken in or use some double sided stick tape! :lmao:

DH still is getting quotes for transportation to the airport the morning of, and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get from the airport to the Pan Pacific. Dh and I are all checked in online for the cruise and I started working on DMIL and DFIL's online check in. (They aren't very computer savvy!) I just can't believe how close it is getting.

What am I missing? I have excited brain to I can't keep things straight! hahahaha!!!

Hey there,
We just got back on Monday, so if you have any questions feel free, while everything is still fresh in my mind. First off, it was an amazing trip, best ever!
Regarding your question about getting to the Pan Pacific:

We ended up taking a cab from the airport directly to the Pan Pacific, though we are a family of 3, each with one checked bag and one carry-on backpack or shoulder bag. We did take a Prius cab, but in the line there were vans waiting, a group in front of us used one as they had all sorts of musical instruments with them.
It was 32.00 plus tip, so I just gave him 40.00. It was already 7:30 PM
Vancouver time and 10:30 PM our time. We are also from New England.

Not sure what time you are arriving, but the sky train was great when we used it going to the airport for our flight home. Though we did not have our bags with us, we shipped them directly from the port to the airport, for $40.00. It was well marked, easy to navigate and only 4.00 pp. Very clean, too. Unlike the T here at home. I do know there is an extra fee when you come from the airport to Waterfront Station. Depending on the time of day you would use the train, it could be cheaper than a cab. On Sundays and after 6:30pm the fares go down.

When we arrived at the Pan Pacific we were upgraded to a suite on the club level floor. This was on the top floor of the hotel and though she said it was a city view, it was both a harbor view and city view, we were able to watch the Wonder arrive from the Master bedroom window. What a way to start off our trip.
Sorry this got so long.:rolleyes1
Enjoy the rest of your planning.:goodvibes

It's almost time for your cruise!! I can't wait to hear all about once you get back. I have the urge to book us another Disney cruise for next summer and we all want to go to Alaska, so why not right? :thumbsup2 Sounds like you are all ready with your excursions. There have been so many new excursions added on since our last cruise 5 years ago!! I def want to do the mixology and Palo next time around! Oh and I so understand your obsession with Vera Bradley :guilty: Me too!!! They are so handy! I like to roll up one of our large duffels and stick in my big suitcase. This way I can use it for souvenirs and anything I may pick up.

HELLO!!!!!

Well we just got back from Alaska! What an AMAZING trip!!! I still can't believe it is over and I am still in awe of everything we saw and did!

I am currently down loading all of our pictures and getting ready to head back to the airport. Back to the real world and my first order of business is to head to Baltimore for a training :faint: I'm flying down tonight and I'm going to start writing up my TR while I'm alone in my hotel room. :thumbsup2

Once I start the TR I will post the link here and in my signature line! Anyone have any questions for me before I start??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter