"Theme Park Attractions and Strategies" board?

DPCummerbund

DIS Veteran
That's the name on this board. The subtitle (or whatever) says "Discuss touring plans and strategies for the Disney World theme parks on this board."

I have only been viewing this forum for a few months, but it seems like many of the threads here have nothing to do with theme park attractions or strategies.

Complaining about the existence of FP+ is not a strategy. Cancelling your plans to visit, while being a valid vacation strategy, is not actually a theme park or attraction strategy. Figuring out when to go, where to stay, and how to get the most out of FP+ is a strategy.

Complaining about long lines is not a strategy. Long lines are WHY YOU COME TO THIS FORUM - to learn some STRATEGIES to minimize them. If there were no lines for anything, you probably wouldn't need a strategy.

Calling, e-mailing, or writing letters of complaint to Disney is not actually a strategy. That's what you do after your strategy doesn't work.

Saying "Disney isn't the company it once was" or "I want things to go back to the way they used to be" are not strategies, because time travel has not been invented.

Finally, and most importantly - I understand that some times you need to vent or seek sympathy when you're upset or angry about something. But again, I'm fairly certain that "venting your anger" is not a very good strategy when visiting WDW.

I've noticed that most of the other forums pretty much stay on topic. In the "Rumors and News" forum, people talk about, well... Rumors and News. Sure, there are lots of arguments as to which tidbits are Rumors and which are News, but they both belong there. In the Resorts forum, people have good and bad things to say about all the resorts, but they're still about the resorts. The Restaurants forum is the same - good and bad about all the restaurants.

Yet somehow, in this particular forum, you can complain about anything at all, for any reason. Yes, sometimes things go badly, and sometimes sharing these stories can help other people make better decisions about their trips. But complaining about things that things that are out of any guest's control (long lines, expensive tickets, crowded buses, etc.) isn't helping, it's just complaining. I would think that a forum devoted to STRATEGIES would be about how to AVOID those things, not just to complain about them.

To that end, I'm not going to just complain about this forum. So, I suggest the following:

1) Mods, could we create a "Venting, Complaining, and Sympathy" Forum for everyone who just has something to get off their chest? Those who really want to say something can do so, while those who are willing to help others can give the complainers a virtual pat on the shoulder and say "there there, dear," and make people feel better.

2) And for everybody else on this forum, consider asking yourself this question: is reading your post actually going to help somebody else have a better WDW experience by learning from your mistake (and having a new Strategy), or are you just mad, bro?

That's the name on this board. The subtitle (or whatever) says "Discuss touring plans and strategies for the Disney World theme parks on this board."

I have only been viewing this forum for a few months, but it seems like many of the threads here have nothing to do with theme park attractions or strategies.

Complaining about the existence of FP+ is not a strategy. Cancelling your plans to visit, while being a valid vacation strategy, is not actually a theme park or attraction strategy. Figuring out when to go, where to stay, and how to get the most out of FP+ is a strategy.

Complaining about long lines is not a strategy. Long lines are WHY YOU COME TO THIS FORUM - to learn some STRATEGIES to minimize them. If there were no lines for anything, you probably wouldn't need a strategy.

Calling, e-mailing, or writing letters of complaint to Disney is not actually a strategy. That's what you do after your strategy doesn't work.

Saying "Disney isn't the company it once was" or "I want things to go back to the way they used to be" are not strategies, because time travel has not been invented.

Finally, and most importantly - I understand that some times you need to vent or seek sympathy when you're upset or angry about something. But again, I'm fairly certain that "venting your anger" is not a very good strategy when visiting WDW.

I've noticed that most of the other forums pretty much stay on topic. In the "Rumors and News" forum, people talk about, well... Rumors and News. Sure, there are lots of arguments as to which tidbits are Rumors and which are News, but they both belong there. In the Resorts forum, people have good and bad things to say about all the resorts, but they're still about the resorts. The Restaurants forum is the same - good and bad about all the restaurants.

Yet somehow, in this particular forum, you can complain about anything at all, for any reason. Yes, sometimes things go badly, and sometimes sharing these stories can help other people make better decisions about their trips. But complaining about things that things that are out of any guest's control (long lines, expensive tickets, crowded buses, etc.) isn't helping, it's just complaining. I would think that a forum devoted to STRATEGIES would be about how to AVOID those things, not just to complain about them.

To that end, I'm not going to just complain about this forum. So, I suggest the following:

1) Mods, could we create a "Venting, Complaining, and Sympathy" Forum for everyone who just has something to get off their chest? Those who really want to say something can do so, while those who are willing to help others can give the complainers a virtual pat on the shoulder and say "there there, dear," and make people feel better.

2) And for everybody else on this forum, consider asking yourself this question: is reading your post actually going to help somebody else have a better WDW experience by learning from your mistake (and having a new Strategy), or are you just mad, bro?

You forgot one:

Complaining about the content of the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies forum is not a strategy.

You do have the option to avoid threads with titles that don't pertain to the information you are looking for. Just sayin ;)

~I'm sitting here waiting for lunch and this post made me LOL. I never post from my phone. Um, I love this post. It never used to be this way, though. Gotta go, I wish I could add more to this, maybe later.

I know I feel a little dumber after having read this post bro ;)

You're not by any means the first person to ask for a "Venting", Complaining, Sympathy" forum. I wait to see what happens.

i can understand your frustration.. this was my favorite forum and now it's mainly turned into a place for FP+ discussion. even though they're not strategies, i love when there are posts asking for a favorite memory or best tips for MVMCP.. ect.. the FP+ posts i just keep scrolling by

~I forgot to quote you. I love *this* post. Thanks for posting this.

It's the most popular of the forums so people post here because either:

A. They want to get their post seen or
B. They don't know they are supposed to post elsewhere

A lot of people post News and Rumor here too. But a lot of posters have been getting better about posting them in the right spot since they moved the forum up. (It used to be buried at the bottom of the page)

Also, a lot of the threads do end up having some strategies.

As an example:

"I hate X, I'm never going back to Disney"

Response: "Have you tried doing it this way?"

I completely agree, however this particular Forum is the junk drawer on DIS for pretty much anything.

But lately I'd say less than 1 in 5 threads actually is useful, the rest are just a bunch of complaining. So it's harder to find good info here then it used to be.

You forgot one:

Complaining about the content of the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies forum is not a strategy.

LOL! My thought exactly!

I find it humorous the number of threads lately complaining about other people complaining in other threads.

It never used to be this way, though

Of course it was.

Op if you read through treads you can find strategies mentioned ad help given and info learned. Even if the first post isn't up to your standards there is often plenty of good stuff inside. Just gotta look for it.

It looks like the mods are starting to take your advice. Congratulations!

In that case we need a pixie dust forum as well, because heartwarming threads about something wonderful you saw, did, thought or imagined about WDW isn't on topic either by your strict definition. Probably less that 25% of the posts not about FP+/MDE/Magic Bands fit the definition.

I agree with you 100%.

And whenever you suggest that someone is off topic and should post it somewhere else, or that they are posting about something that there are already multiple threads about, you get flamed.

That's the thing about calling out the majority though. The majority comes back at you.

bumbershoot said:
Of course it was.

Op if you read through treads you can find strategies mentioned ad help given and info learned. Even if the first post isn't up to your standards there is often plenty of good stuff inside. Just gotta look for it.

The problem with that is that a lot of the posts end up being 100+ posts complaining and arguing back and forth instead of presenting strategy. Who has time to dig through all those posts just to find the one or two that is actually helpful? Granted, not all the posts, but a good number of them spiral way off topic and usually end up with three or four posters going back and forth about who was the rudest with their comments.

Sent from my Desire HD using DISBoards

~Awww, it's too bad your thread got moved. While, it really doesn't belong on Themeparks & Strategies, this is one of the best posts I have ever read on this entire forum!!! You are quickly becoming a rising star on this board. We've had our disagreements in rumors about Avatar and stuff, but it's always been a pleasure to debate with you. You have always been very kind and respectful and I have never seen you resort to cowardice backbiting, name calling, mocking, nasty insults and other angry nerd type behaviors that I've experienced and witnessed from other posters. I really can't wait for you to come up with another thread that can remain on the themeparks board. :cool1:

I agree with you 100%.

And whenever you suggest that someone is off topic and should post it somewhere else, or that they are posting about something that there are already multiple threads about, you get flamed.

That's the thing about calling out the majority though. The majority comes back at you.
~Fabulous post!!! I totally agree with this. However, I don't think "they" are the majority. Maybe the majority who is likely to be confrontational and are the most persistent, I would even say dogmatic. Anyway, you are another shining star on this board. I don't think I've ever come across a post from you that I did not like or agree with! Your posts are always, really sharp and on point! :cool1:

You forgot one:

True, but I did have a strategy, as I pointed out at the end:

... and for saying hat, I got moved. I agree with the logic in that to some extent - if I'm replying to off-topic posts by stating that they are off-topic, then both the off-topic response and my reply are both, by definition, off-topic. Still, the off-topic posts themselves are the problem, and AFAIK they are not really being addressed. It's not so much that I want mods to step in, I just think posts that share information and not just your feelings are more helpful.

You do have the option to avoid threads with titles that don't pertain to the information you are looking for. Just sayin ;)

It's not even the titles of the threads, or the subject of the threads. It's the CONTENT in the threads. I'm tired of sifting through 90% complaints to find the 10% of the content that's actually useful information. I try to do keyword searches, but that often doesn't help, as people are posting about the subject, but the content is their opinion, rather than information. Some threads get to be dozens or hundreds of pages long, and I just don't have time to read through all that. I doubt most people do.

i can understand your frustration.. this was my favorite forum and now it's mainly turned into a place for FP+ discussion. even though they're not strategies, i love when there are posts asking for a favorite memory or best tips for MVMCP.. ect.. the FP+ posts i just keep scrolling by

I agree with you 100%! My only problem, though, is I want to read about FP+! Half the threads are about FP+, which I guess is better than last week when all of the threads were about FP+. Still, there's a lot of information out there, but it's "mixed in" with a lot of other comments.

I'd love to read about people's experiences with FP+: what worked, what didn't, who loved it, who didn't, etc. However, for every person who posts a useful story like that, there are 10 others (in the same thread) who say useless things like "I'm never going to Disney again!" or "I Wish things were the way they used to be!" Unless you're talking about strategies to see the fireworks, Wishes don't belong in the TPAAS forum!

~Awww, it's too bad your thread got moved. While, it really doesn't belong on Themeparks & Strategies, this is one of the best posts I have ever read on this entire forum!!! You are quickly becoming a rising star on this board. We've had our disagreements in rumors about Avatar and stuff, but it's always been a pleasure to debate with you. You have always been very kind and respectful and I have never seen you resort to cowardice backbiting, name calling, mocking, nasty insults and other angry nerd type behaviors that I've experienced and witnessed from other posters. I really can't wait for you to come up with another thread that can remain on the themeparks board. :cool1:

Wow, thank you for the kind words! I really appreciate it when I can discuss and debate things with other members in a civil manner, without the name calling and such. It seems like in many cases, if I'm posting something that's generally pro-Disney I get called an "apologist", and if I say something anti-Disney I get called a "hater", often in the same thread! I think most people probably aren't entirely for or against everything Disney does, so I'm glad you agree that name calling and that sort of behavior is rude and unnecessary.

for every person who posts a useful story like that, there are 10 others (in the same thread) who say useless things like "I'm never going to Disney again!" or "I Wish things were the way they used to be!"

hahaha i know.. i love the "i'm canceling my trip" posts... so over dramatic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter