There Sure are a Lot of "Points or Reservation Wanted" Posts

littlestar

DIS Veteran
Have you guys noticed how many more "points wanted or reservation wanted" posts there are on the rent/trade board than the points offered posts?

You have to wonder, I mean there are only so many DVC members that even rent their points. As the word gets passed around to the general public about renting, I just don't see how there would be enough supply of rental points to go around for the demand. I think you can already see that over on the rent/trade board. When someone does offer their points up, I can't believe how many hits those threads get. They must be bombarded with e-mail and PM offers. And most of the points offered posts are always at the top from all the hits they get. As you look down underneath those, there are numerous "reservation or points wanted" posts on pages 1 and 2.

We recently sold two small DVC contracts and they sold in 1 day. As soon as we listed them, they were gone. It makes me wonder if people that usually rent studios decide that a small DVC points package makes more sense for them.

What I have noticed in the last week or so are the Points for Transfers. Perhaps easier(I am a new DVC'er so I don't have experience) than renting. Also alot of big # of points offered, I have seen 270-600. Bet the annual dues just arrived.

I have popped over at other WDW boards and their is a lot of talk of the best bang for your buck is renting DVC points. Alot of that goes to that ebook by a former CM, who says that point renting is the best way to save money at WDW.

Do some people forget to bank? I see alot of "points have to be used by" and it's only 30-90 days away.

This is what I mean about the demand seems to out do the supply at times but the DVC ownership is still renting between $8 and $10 per point. Why?:coffee:
Brownie

I can't really speak for others on this subject but I just transfered my points for the year. I have a limited number of days I can take for vacation and have been unable to take the trip to Disney the past couple of years. We bought several years ago "guestimating" what we thought we would need but haven't been able to utilize them. Cirumstances change. But one thing remains constant until we retire or change professions, that is the limited number of vacation days. So banking the points would just compound the problem since our vacation days will stay limited. That's why we don't bank -- though we have in the past in limited amounts.

On the rental forum, I was genuinely surprised on how many post kept flying on the screen. I don't remember it being that way last year. I must have received 15 PMs within 10 minutes. It's really nice to have the option of renting/transferring points. IMHO, the Dis Board and the existence of this forum is an extremely valuable resource which increases the value of our DVC memberships. I, for one, am very thankful. :)

This is what I mean about the demand seems to out do the supply at times but the DVC ownership is still renting between $8 and $10 per point. Why?:coffee:
Brownie

Has to be a case of "rental guilt". Why else would anyone sell a quality product that is in demand so cheaply.

I think they feel if they don't ask too much for their points they will be seen by others as doing a good dead, almost charity work and not a money, grupping, DVC rental tycoon.

Just my opinion. ;)

Has to be a case of "rental guilt". Why else would anyone sell a quality product that is in demand so cheaply.

I think they feel if they don't ask too much for their points they will be seen by others as doing a good dead, almost charity work and not a money, grupping, DVC rental tycoon.

Just my opinion. ;)

Or they want to have the lowest price so their points will get sold out first. As if they would have a problem....

Demand is definately up, I noticed it too. I think more people are becoming "hip" to the idea of renting insteading of booking through CRO.

I have to agree that the owners should ask for more in the rental price unless they have to unload those points quickly. It seems that the expectation of those renting is the standard $10 pp. I have only rented a few times, but I had one woman that asked me to lower my price to $9, after I had listed it as a FIRM price. :confused3 Situations like this have turned me off from renting.

Just say "No".

Yep, that's exactly what I did. Than she started on some sob story, but I told her that I needed to rent them out at that FIRM price. I had a bad feeling about her so I'm happy things didn't work out with her.:wizard:

I agree with Sammie. People feel like they are being helpful to others if they give their points away and cant be viewed as a profiteer. You can still be helpful and charge a reasonable rate.

While I was at BCV the day after Christmas, Housekeeping went around and changed those little placards posted in the romm closets. They increased the maximum rates for the rooms. Our BCV studio max rate was $475. Even if Disney was giving 50% off codes (which they do not do), that room is still more than a point rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter