Things to do at Nassau

TheArtofDavidK

Finally Happily Ever After!
So my husband and I are cruising in December on the Dream and the first stop of course is Nassau. What is there to do? I've been trying to find a listings of things to or plan out the day there. Any guidance?

There is a list of port adventures on the Disney cruise Line website. But my DH and I did the dolphin encounter there many years ago and it was awesome. I know lots of people enjoy doing a day excursion to Atlantis. Enjoy whatever you choose!

My wife and I went over to the Straw Market. I know some people do not care for it because of the "pushy" vendors but we loved it. My wife is international merchandising and I really got a kick out of her negotiating skills - a side of her that I never get to see. We got some good deals. While most of the stuff is cheap stuff made in China, there are a few nice things to be found. She found some really nice baskets.

I miss the days of old (I was there 20 years ago) when the Bahama mamas were sitting in the market with mounds of palm fronds weaving baskets and hats. I guess they are illegal to bring into the states now.

We cruised on the Dream summer of 2011 and had a great time!:)

We had vacationed at Cable Beach and Atlantis, summer of 2006..In five years, we noticed a difference. I personally didn't feel safe in Nassau in 2011!:eek:

Back in '11 we had heard about tourist crime and recently in the last year or so read about tourist crime increasing so much that some of the Cruise Lines were thinking about pulling out of Nassau as a port!

With that being said, we were "cautious" getting off the ship in Nassau in "11..
We did take a cab ride over to Atlantis in the evening, but did not like the "setup" of trying to get a cab as it takes some walking and not directly off the ship at night...

We did a fabulous excursion through Disney Dream to a private island with blowup inflatable rafts, etc...I forget the name of the island but that was really fun. We met as a group on the ship early in the morning, then as a group walked a short distance to a dock where we were taken to a smaller boat which brought us to this private island....Since we were with others from the Dream, I felt "safer" rather than going off on our own...

Google Tourist Crime in Nassau and you will read about crime..

Be careful and HAVE FUN! I'm sure you will love the cruise and
CASTAWAY CAY was so much FUN FOR US!:thumbsup2:cool1:

We were SO LUCKY to have BEAUTIFUL weather middle of August no less..
All sun, not a drop of rain!:cheer2:

We did the dolphin encounter five years ago. Lots of fun. My DW and oldest DS did the swim with the dolphins. My other two younger DSs and I just did the encounter. We will be going back next year and I think we are just doing Atlantis for the day.

I did the snorkeling adventure with the kids and my wife and MIL did the Dolphin excursion. In the future we would just stay on the ship and have fun,

We did something a little different and did a beach segway tour: http://www.segwaynassau.com/

It was a lot of fun, and we got to see a lot of the island on the van ride over there.

ETA: I had found it on Tripadvisor, where it had great reviews and was one of the highest rated things to do on the island

Go do the Water Park at Atlantis. It is fantastic. We have done it several times. The "lazy" river will keep you entertained for hours, as it is anything but lazy. Lots of rapids, twists and turns, and HUGE waves. It's a blast!

We did something a little different and did a beach segway tour: http://www.segwaynassau.com/

It was a lot of fun, and we got to see a lot of the island on the van ride over there.

ETA: I had found it on Tripadvisor, where it had great reviews and was one of the highest rated things to do on the island

DH is planning to do that tour while I am scuba diving. So far he is the only one signed up for the day we are there, and they require at least 2 people to run the tour. I hope someome else signs up so the tour will go. He is looking foward to it, as he has enjoyed the other segway tours we have done.

DH is planning to do that tour while I am scuba diving. So far he is the only one signed up for the day we are there, and they require at least 2 people to run the tour. I hope someome else signs up so the tour will go. He is looking foward to it, as he has enjoyed the other segway tours we have done.

DH and I were the only ones on the tour when we did it. It was nice because it felt like they customized it for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter