Thinking of changing to royal carribean

We love Royal and I think you should definitely give them a try. I have typically found the prices are lowest when the cruise first becomes available for booking. If it goes down, and you are in the US, you can always call for a price adjustment up until your final payment date. Make sure you look at ship info before booking so you know what to expect. I've seen people come on here disappointed after jumping ship from Disney, and it's often because they are comparing their experience on a newer Disney ship to an older RC ship.

I've seen people come on here disappointed after jumping ship from Disney, and it's often because they are comparing their experience on a newer Disney ship to an older RC ship.

I imagine this the case comparing most cruise lines but especially with Disney considering how new the whole cruise line is altogether. I appreciate the innovations Disney brought to the industry and I think there was some "catch up" by RCCL, NCL, and Carnival. But that time has started to pass. We've stayed with RCCL because of price. The outdoor pool decks are getting wilder, the shows are practically Broadway, and my kids cry when it was over.

Hello all! It's been a LONG TIME since my last post here but I can help. We sailed DCL 15 times between 99 and 07. When DDs turned 17 and 15 we switched to RCCL (and Carnival once, that was enough) I have sailed AT LEAST 3 times and as many as 6 times a year since then. We've sailed all from the Majesty to the Oasis. I love the Majesty because of its ombioance.....its small and you truly get to know you servers, bartenders etc. The Oasis in my opinion is a "one time must sail" but unless it's a "smoking deal" I have no interest. Just a few things......the Buffett was ALWAYS very crowded at meal times. We found Central Park was less crowded during that time. My time dining was a disaster! If you didn't pre register prior to boarding wait times were up to an hour and a half. We were balcony deck 7 mid-aft port. There is NO WAY to get from one side to the other if you came up/down wrong side. Had to walk down to 6 across then back up. With RCCL the larger the ship tends to be the better the service. I think trainees start on the small. But service has really never been a problem. RCCL has a really screwed up booking process. On longer sailings it said "final payment due by day 75". At that point they don't pressure you into payment but if you cancel you lose deposit. At day 57 if full payment isn't made your reservation is cancelled and your deposit is for fitted. Anytime between there if your sailing drops you have the right to cancel, forfeit your deposit and rebook at lower fare. If you are persistent they'll give you deposit. But, I have found pricing drops after day 55 when cabins open up from cancellations. We booked a 10 nighter Dec 2016 on out April 16 Oasis sailing. One of two sailings to the "ABCs" . It was 2755. Only paid 100 deposit because of onboard booking. At day 62 I say a suite for only 150 pp more. I switched and was NEVER asked for final payment. At day 57 I received email "your reservation has been cancelled due to non payment your deposit has been for fitted call with full payment within 24 hours to reinstate". I waited till following Monday the balcony dropped to 1202 TOTAL! 1500 less than origional booking. RCCLs answer....."why are you upset about losing 100 you saved 1400!" That didn't sit well, they credited me the 100. That was October. We had air already Nov. 6 to Orlando and were planning on wine fest. Hotels were crazy expensive! I booked 4 nighters on Nov 2 on Majesty ocean view for Nov 7 for 249 TOTAL! I had a crown and anchor credit for 100 and sailing and boarding was "delayed" 6 hour due to "routine maintenance" so they gave us a 100 credit. So 49 bucks 5 days! So if you can arrange transportation I'd reccamend booking 3-5 weeks out. That's what we have been doing....watching April 12-May 14 sailings now. Lol.....If your a drinker GET THE INCLUSIVE PACKAGE! We pre paid prior to boarding and it was 41 per day!

...At that point they don't pressure you into payment but if you cancel you lose deposit. At day 57 if full payment isn't made your reservation is cancelled and your deposit is for fitted....

I switched and was NEVER asked for final payment. At day 57 I received email "your reservation has been cancelled due to non payment your deposit has been for fitted call with full payment within 24 hours to reinstate"...

Just FYI, the word you're looking for is 'forfeited' :)

We cruised with Royal for years before discovering DCL. We have cruised with DCL exclusively for the past 5-6 years. This year, however, we are returning to Royal Carib because DCL has priced us out of their market. We aren't worried that we won't like RC because we know we do, and we are very excited about being on an Oasis class ship. Sure there will be differences, and I don't doubt that when we hear the DCL horn play "When you Wish Upon a Star" our hearts will sink just a little. Still, for the price difference, I think we can live with our decision.

Hello all! It's been a LONG TIME since my last post here but I can help. We sailed DCL 15 times between 99 and 07. When DDs turned 17 and 15 we switched to RCCL (and Carnival once, that was enough) I have sailed AT LEAST 3 times and as many as 6 times a year since then. We've sailed all from the Majesty to the Oasis. I love the Majesty because of its ombioance.....its small and you truly get to know you servers, bartenders etc. The Oasis in my opinion is a "one time must sail" but unless it's a "smoking deal" I have no interest. Just a few things......the Buffett was ALWAYS very crowded at meal times. We found Central Park was less crowded during that time. My time dining was a disaster! If you didn't pre register prior to boarding wait times were up to an hour and a half. We were balcony deck 7 mid-aft port. There is NO WAY to get from one side to the other if you came up/down wrong side. Had to walk down to 6 across then back up. With RCCL the larger the ship tends to be the better the service. I think trainees start on the small. But service has really never been a problem. RCCL has a really screwed up booking process. On longer sailings it said "final payment due by day 75". At that point they don't pressure you into payment but if you cancel you lose deposit. At day 57 if full payment isn't made your reservation is cancelled and your deposit is for fitted. Anytime between there if your sailing drops you have the right to cancel, forfeit your deposit and rebook at lower fare. If you are persistent they'll give you deposit. But, I have found pricing drops after day 55 when cabins open up from cancellations. We booked a 10 nighter Dec 2016 on out April 16 Oasis sailing. One of two sailings to the "ABCs" . It was 2755. Only paid 100 deposit because of onboard booking. At day 62 I say a suite for only 150 pp more. I switched and was NEVER asked for final payment. At day 57 I received email "your reservation has been cancelled due to non payment your deposit has been for fitted call with full payment within 24 hours to reinstate". I waited till following Monday the balcony dropped to 1202 TOTAL! 1500 less than origional booking. RCCLs answer....."why are you upset about losing 100 you saved 1400!" That didn't sit well, they credited me the 100. That was October. We had air already Nov. 6 to Orlando and were planning on wine fest. Hotels were crazy expensive! I booked 4 nighters on Nov 2 on Majesty ocean view for Nov 7 for 249 TOTAL! I had a crown and anchor credit for 100 and sailing and boarding was "delayed" 6 hour due to "routine maintenance" so they gave us a 100 credit. So 49 bucks 5 days! So if you can arrange transportation I'd reccamend booking 3-5 weeks out. That's what we have been doing....watching April 12-May 14 sailings now. Lol.....If your a drinker GET THE INCLUSIVE PACKAGE! We pre paid prior to boarding and it was 41 per day!
Actually full payment for non holiday cruises of 7+ days is at the 90 day mark for the past 3 years or so.

Only on the oasis class shop there is no crossover on deck 7 at the aft elevators because of the boardwalk sign. Every other deck has the crossover from port to starboard side.

I booked this coming june alaska cruise 2 years ago and the same cabin is now twice as much and we are sailing within 45 days. So not all cruises get cheaper after final payment. This past october on allure the crown loft suites prices were $3000 more 60 days from sailing than what i paid.

Just wondering what was the $100 crown and anchor credit you got for the majesty sailing in an oceanview? The platinum c&a credit for $100 is for booking balconies or higher. Is there another credit that i am not aware of?

hey

Me and my partner, late 20s no kids have been cruising Disney the last few years and thinking of changing to RC as we have sadly been priced out by Disney

I am not exactly an expert in cruising, but I was on two Disney cruises (one time without kids, just with my husband) and just I returned from my first RC cruise. We went with my friend, two adult women.

I was a little worried as we booked the oldest and cheapest ship (my friend is a frugal type :) ). The ship was Empress of the Seas and it was 4-day Bahamian Cruise (for both time and money reasons).

Like I mentioned I was worried that it would be an old ship and a booze cruise: well, no and no. We had great time - not any worse then on Disney.

Though we did get a balcony cabin - my friend wanted the cheapest option but I needed a balcony so I just paid more than her but we did get a balcony. The cabin was fine, not very big but I felt like it was totally adequate for 2 adults. The food was O'K (we didn't do any paid restaurants, just were eating in the buffet most of times). Windjammer buffet was really good, but the main dining room we did only once was not that great really. But I was not more impressed with food on Disney Dream either (except for the Palo branch which was REALLY good).

The RC private island was great even though it was the smallest one - Coco Cay. The only downside was that you have to tender there and it seems like they often can not tender there and skip the island. We almost did it though the sea didn't look rough to me at all. There were two ships there, both had trouble tendering but finally were able to do it. And the RC was nice to prolong the time on the island as we waited for awhile to tender and wasted some island time in this way. I was worried that the island would be crowded with two ships at the same time, but it was not at all (though both ships were the smallest RC had).

All the crew we met were extremely friendly. Everything was really nice.

And I really felt that RC had more fun for just adults than Disney. All the atmosphere felt more "adult" - in a good way. We danced two evenings too which I never had to do on Disney ships for some reason.

We are doing another RC cruise this summer - the Northern Europe one, this time the family one with my daughter who is going to be 18 at that time. And I am really looking forward to it. We didn't even consider Disney for Northern Europe as their itinerary just totally didn't work for us: only one day in St Petersburg - it's a joke for me, just not worth it.

So my opinion - try RC. Most likely you will love it :)

Last edited:
All said...

1. Celebrity
2. Royal Caribbean
3. Disney
4. Carnival (long ago...the other more recent)

I found Disney's price difference to be impossible to justify...and their food was sadly not up to snuff...

So with limited experience...that where I sit...

I'd like to go on another disney ship but can't see paying for it until the price becomes comparable...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter