Thinking of trying Universal? Read this first timer’s impressions (kinda long)

huskies90

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a 9 day split stay between Disney (Coronado Springs) and Universal (Royal Pacific). It was our third family trip to Disney and our first visit to Universal.

We did Disney first based on many recommendations. As much as we love Disney, it can be very hectic especially when you try to squeeze in four parks, two water parks, Disney Quest, mini golf and several table service dining reservations into five days. Five days turned into six days at Disney as we went from a planned 5 Disney, 4 Universal, to 5 ½ / 3 ½ to eventually doing 6 and 3. But as you’ll see when you read on, three days turned out to be plenty for Universal so that worked out fine.

As you can imagine nobody wanted to leave Disney on that last day and I started to wonder if I had done the right thing splitting the trip. Would Universal be a let down? Even though I was sure we would enjoy it, I started to have some doubt as we exited the highway and started toward the Universal property. Being a smaller property, Universal definitely does not have the same “approach excitement” that you get when you reach the Disney property, but after a while, the smaller area turned out to be a huge plus.

The feeling of doubt disappeared as soon as we hit the RPR parking lot. I can’t say enough about how much I loved this resort and how much my whole family loved it. The pool was great. The kids (8 &11) loved it. The grounds were beautiful and the theming was well done throughout. The service was great. Everyone went out of their way to help answer questions, provide information, menus for restaurants, suggestions of things to do, places to go, etc. RPR is being renovated and we lucked out with a newly renovated room. In fact, at check in we were told we were the first people to stay in the new room. How awesome is that??? We also had some BIG concerns after finding out all the onsite hotels are ‘pet friendly’ as we all have bad allergies and I had images of dogs next door barking all night. So, we requested Tower 1 and made a very clear request not to be near any pets. Well, RPR more than took care of us honoring our request in Tower 1 on the 7th floor. I saw one dog sitting outside while we were eating inside at Jakes the first night and that was it. It was totally a non factor.

Next, Universal was so relaxing. The small size made touring so easy. Park hopping was a piece of cake and the hotel was so close that a short walk or boat ride got you back for a swim or nap or whatever. And having City Walk right there made dining very easy. We never made a reservation, just walked in everywhere. Very stress free.

Which brings me to the Universal Express front of the line perk. I don’t even know where to start. It is like theme park touring heaven. I knew it would be cool but WOW. There is nothing like not having to wait in a single line your entire trip!!! Totally made touring a snap. We did everything in both parks easily in two days touring slowly and taking breaks and we used the last day to hit some favorites again. With the Express, three days was more than enough.

And, finally, my impressions of the two parks. I had been to Universal Studios just after it opened in 1990 so that was not new for me. Although there are many new/different things it was what I expected. Islands of Adventure, however was not what I expected. I expected a park focused on thrill rides. Yes, thrill rides dominated here, but the park was extremely well themed. Much more than I expected. The lost continent, Jurassic Park and Seuss were especially cool. All the attractions were really well done. And of course, the thrills were kicked up a notch!! I also like the way the park was laid out in a condensed circular fashion. Things were close together and it was easy to walk to around the lake from one land to the next. Transitions to each area are very well done.

I would say the only downside for IOA was my 51” 8 year old could not go on either roller coaster or Dr. Doom free fall and she was too old for the real kids stuff at Seuss Landing. So that tweener age misses out a bit but she loved everything should could go on. And, I would say, IOA is now my 11 year old’s favorite park of all the parks we visited this trip and the Hulk was her favorite ride…

Oh, and don’t forget Blue Man Group!! That was a blast. Both kids were in stitches the whole show. I had seen it in Vegas so I knew that would be one of the highlights.

Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to try to answer ‘em.

The mummy dust strikes again! Welcome to the dark side, glad you had a great time.

Glad to hear that you loved it! We love US/IOA for much the same reasons as you brought up, theming rides, layout of the parks and proximity to on-site hotels, FOTL. If you ask me, none of that can be topped! We love Disney too, but we get spoiled at US/IOA, especially staying on-site!:thumbsup2

I'm glad you enjoyed your time at US/IOA.

We split our last trip between WDW and US/IOA and our boys loved it too! :goodvibes

That's a great report! I'm glad you liked Universal and will hopefully return again. :thumbsup2

What a great post! You hit the nail on the head with FOTL. So glad to have another Universal fan!

Got any pictures of the new room? So glad you had such a great time!!!

Thanks! It's always great to hear from relative newbies to the park. I agree about the themeing! Jurassic Park and Lost continent are my favorites too.

Great report! And, boy, can I relate!!!! We love both WDW and USF for different reasons but FOTL with less expensive resort rates than WDW deluxe will always draw us to USF. Our practice was to stay in DVC Sunday night through Thursday night and switch to the Polynesian on Fri and Sat when the DVC points are higher. We have recently switched to spending the weekends at USF instead. RPR gives us almost the same feel of the South Pacific as the Polynesian but at a much more economical price! (I say almost because RPR cannot, not do I expect them to, reproduce the Disney feel we associate with the Polynesian. The RPR pool is definitely better!) We also squeeze in extra trips when visting the parent's (snowbirds) during the winter months or my sister in Tampa whenever we can get decent airfare. We still continue to visit WDW but do not plan to visit as often. We recently gave up our WDW APs. Before DS could comprehend that WDW and USF were two completely different themed resorts, he would tell people his favorite attractions at WDW were Spiderman, Hulk, MIB, RNR and TOT - in that order! :eek: We returned a few weeks ago. We took out DNiece 11. She told her parents she liked USF the best and wants to take them there to show them everything! I think that Mummy Dust is spreading!!!

Great trip report!!! Thanks for sharing. It is always great to hear the reactions of "first timers" :)

I have an 8 year old who is dying to get on those roller costers as well. He was finally tall enough to ride Dr. Doom when we were there in June and he rode is 20 times in a row (no exageration!!!).

Great report! And, boy, can I relate!!!! We love both WDW and USF for different reasons but FOTL with less expensive resort rates than WDW deluxe will always draw us to USF. Our practice was to stay in DVC Sunday night through Thursday night and switch to the Polynesian on Fri and Sat when the DVC points are higher. We have recently switched to spending the weekends at USF instead. RPR gives us almost the same feel of the South Pacific as the Polynesian but at a much more economical price! (I say almost because RPR cannot, not do I expect them to, reproduce the Disney feel we associate with the Polynesian. The RPR pool is definitely better!) We also squeeze in extra trips when visting the parent's (snowbirds) during the winter months or my sister in Tampa whenever we can get decent airfare. We still continue to visit WDW but do not plan to visit as often. We recently gave up our WDW APs. Before DS could comprehend that WDW and USF were two completely different themed resorts, he would tell people his favorite attractions at WDW were Spiderman, Hulk, MIB, RNR and TOT - in that order! :eek: We returned a few weeks ago. We took out DNiece 11. She told her parents she liked USF the best and wants to take them there to show them everything! I think that Mummy Dust is spreading!!!

:thumbsup2 if you gotta split your trip, it's a good choice indeed. Especially since even the values are close to $130 peak season.:scared1: Way i look at it, gives me more points to work with overall = more trips/larger unit @ DVC & it helps keep WDW from getting "old".

We dropped our APs too, maybe they'll give us a discount on MYW tix;)

So pleased you enjoyed it. We stayed there too for the first time in August. I would love to see a photo of the new room too if you have one.:)

Hi huskies! your review made my eyes well up, just the way you described the FOTL access, it really is theme park touring heaven :)

I love Disney, and I love Universal - both are great in their own ways!

I would love to see a photo of the new room too if you have one.:)
I kept meaning to take one but every time I thought of it, the kids had messed the room up...:rotfl:

Does any one have a link to a picture of an un refurbed room? I'd love to see the difference...

Did you like the new rooms? We saw a picture of what they were supposed to look like and everyone here went, "EWWWWWWWW". If you liked the room, then I guess the reno was a success!!!

I'll try to find the pics that were posted.

Did you like the new rooms? We saw a picture of what they were supposed to look like and everyone here went, "EWWWWWWWW". If you liked the room, then I guess the reno was a success!!!

I'll try to find the pics that were posted.
That's why I asked for an old one so I could compare what they were like to what the are like now.

K...here are the pics that were posted.

RPQueenRoom.jpg

RPKingRoom.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter