This week I'm working on... (now with a page 1 directory)

Scott.. is that the one that came with the camera? Goof, do you know?

No, the kit lens is the 18-55mm VR. The 18-200mm VR is a better lens but not cheap. It is, IMO, one of the best travel lenses ever produced by Nikon. Good wide angle to telephoto. The 35mm equivalent is 28mm to 300mm. You can take photos from Cinderella Castle (and include the Partners statue) to close-ups of the Animal Kingdom residents without having to switch lenses. I can get sharp photos at 1/15th of a second with the VR technology.

I've used it for three years and it rarely is off my camera unless I am shooting sports or wildlife.

Yep that's the one! Great indoor lens and it's a 1.8 which will give you the nice depth of field. I've seen some places that had it for $250 for some reason but in general it goes for $199. No, it doesn't come as part of a kit.

Like it's already been stated, the 18-200mm also isn't a kit lens. The "kits" usually come with 1-2 lenses the 18-55 and the 55-200.

I'm dyeing up a 18-200 myself but not sure if I want the Nikon version or Sigma which is cheaper. Sigma also has an 18-250 that is getting good marks and is still cheaper than the Nikon's 18-200. I switch my lenses so much to get what I'm looking for that it will definitely be worth it too me.

I bought the 35mm just the other week and haven't had much chance to use it yet. I'm really hoping it will give me a definite advantage in low light vs the 18-55 kit on my D3000.

No, the kit lens is the 18-55mm VR. The 18-200mm VR is a better lens but not cheap. It is, IMO, one of the best travel lenses ever produced by Nikon. Good wide angle to telephoto. The 35mm equivalent is 28mm to 300mm. You can take photos from Cinderella Castle (and include the Partners statue) to close-ups of the Animal Kingdom residents without having to switch lenses. I can get sharp photos at 1/15th of a second with the VR technology.

I've used it for three years and it rarely is off my camera unless I am shooting sports or wildlife.

I agree.. it looks very nice... but I think it goes for almost $800.00 on Amazon!!! YIKES.. but if it is a quality lens, and I won't have to switch lens for a bit of telephoto action, I may have to ask Santa to bring it to me for Christmas!!!

I agree.. it looks very nice... but I think it goes for almost $800.00 on Amazon!!! YIKES.. but if it is a quality lens, and I won't have to switch lens for a bit of telephoto action, I may have to ask Santa to bring it to me for Christmas!!!

Expensive, yes, but, if you stay in the DX Nikon camera line, you will be able to use it for years to come. I've seen the first version come up for sale on eBay and Nikon forums. The new version is the same except for a way to lock the lens in a zoom position.

Scott, does it have AF like the stock lenses?

Oh, yes, this lens was introduced in 2004 and has AF-S (silent wave technology) and is very fast. It will hunt at 200mm in low light. I have hand held this for some great night time photos at WDW. This one for instance...

Wishes, Up Close by Scottwdw, on Flickr

Nikon D70/18-200VR, 1/10s, f/3.5, ISO, ISO 1600, EV +0.3, 18mm focal length

Here's the official name: Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DX-Format Digital SLR Cameras

Just ordered a monopod for my upcoming March trip.. decided that the travel lens was a bit too much for us at this time.. so I'll just have to switch lens, and move my feet a bit to get the shots I want. I am very excited about the March trip back to Disney.. it will be Photastic!!!

Assuming it works the same on Nikon as it does Canon...

1. Exposure is locked in evaluative metering mode when the shutter button is half pressed

2. AE lock can be used before the shutter button has been half pressed. This will lock in the exposure with the current scene but not the focus. You can then go and lock focus by using the shutter button.

3. In other metering modes the metering will change even after the shutter button is half pressed. You can lock the exposure before or after the shutter button has been half-pressed by using this.

Very important for when focusing and recomposing would include direct light sources that really changes the exposure.

I looked at your Disney book! the pictures are fabulous. I'm bookmarking your site. I wanted to leave comments but I don't have a yahoo account! I just bought the Canon 60D. Hopefully, I can learn a lot from you - you see, I'm a recovering point and shoot girl!:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter