This week I'm working on... (now with a page 1 directory)

Or would there be another way of determining which setting (FEC) to set my camera to?

As Scottwdw suggested, I'd start with an FEC of about -1, and take the photo. If my subject looked too dark, I'd adjust the FEC and retake the photo. I do this all the time...as my wife will attest to.

I'm not sure there's really any magic to this. It's just trial and error. But an FEC of -1 is usually a good place to start.

OK, I'm trying to do some more follow up with fill flash this week. After reading some of the extremely helpful replies, I went ahead and did a few tests with different FEC settings (Flash Exposure Compensation).
Today is a pretty sunny day, so I was able to get some pretty good examples of some plants we have in our yard (my daughter isn't here to help me right now).
I was standing about 2 feet away when I took these shots. I started with a shot without flash, then added the fill flash, starting with an FEC of -1, then -2, then -3, then the other extreme of +1. Here are my results:

Normal (no flash):
01-1.jpg

FEC of -1:
02-1.jpg

FEC of -2:
03-1.jpg

FEC of -3:
04-1.jpg

and FEC of +1:
05.jpg

There really are some pretty vast differences in some of these settings. I'm going to have to keep practicing until I get more familiar with when to use which setting.

Today I was doing some more experimenting with Fill Flash. This time I was trying different FEC settings at different distances from my subject. Basically I was shooting from about 5, 10, 15 and 20 feet away, and using the normal fill flash setting, the -1 setting, the -3 setting and the +1 setting.
I wasn't sure if 20 feet would be too far, but it did seem to work pretty good at lighting up the shadows.
Even though I was only taking quick practice shots, I did get one shot that I thought turned out pretty good.
This is a shot I took of my daughter from about 10 feet away, using the Fill flash at +1 exposure:

jess06.jpg

I also took the same shot at different exposure settings, but this one seemed to come out the best. I still have a long way to go before I begin feeling comfortable knowing when to use the best fill flash settings, but I am starting to at least understand it better.

Today I was doing some more experimenting with Fill Flash. This time I was trying different FEC settings at different distances from my subject. Basically I was shooting from about 5, 10, 15 and 20 feet away, and using the normal fill flash setting, the -1 setting, the -3 setting and the +1 setting.
I wasn't sure if 20 feet would be too far, but it did seem to work pretty good at lighting up the shadows.
Even though I was only taking quick practice shots, I did get one shot that I thought turned out pretty good.
This is a shot I took of my daughter from about 10 feet away, using the Fill flash at +1 exposure:

jess06.jpg

I also took the same shot at different exposure settings, but this one seemed to come out the best. I still have a long way to go before I begin feeling comfortable knowing when to use the best fill flash settings, but I am starting to at least understand it better.

So how did you decide on the +1? Was it just trial and error? I am very very curious about this topic because I took some shots of my daughter this weekend with my speedlite and they seemed overexposed to me. I hadn't adjusted the FEC at all, so it was at 0.

I'm enjoying this discussion.:thumbsup2

One more question: Did you lock the exposure on her face? Or on the scene in general. I think that's where my problem came from...

Definitely trial and error. I shot the same scene with 3 or 4 different exposure settings, and this is the one that seemed to come out the best. I wish I could say that I "knew" that this was the exposure I wanted to use, but I just tried them all, and wanted to see which would look the best.
In other shots, the -1, or the -3 setting came out looking better. I suppose it's just going to take a lot of practice to get familiar enough to have a better idea which exposure to decide to go with (of course if there's no rush, then I'll probably keep shooting multiple exposures and see what happens).

As for what I set the exposure on, it was most likely on the scene itself. Because I was more interested in the fill flash effects, I wasn't really paying attention to some of the other basics like I should have been.

jess06.jpg

That's a really nice photo. I'm glad to hear that your fill flash experiments are working out.

While you're testing the different FEC settings, I see that you're skipping over "FEC 0". I wonder if you should also take a photo with a flash setting of FEC 0 to establish a baseline of what it looks like. From there, you can compare what FEC -1 and FEC +1 look like, compared to FEC 0. Also, take a photo with no flash to establish another baseline. Just a thought.

With the above photo, looks like a lot of the leaves are close to being "blown out". In other words, the highlights are way too bright. I see that you're shooting in "shutter priority (Tv)". I wonder if you should try decreasing your exposure compensation to about -1. That would decrease the background exposure by 1 stop, and hopefully avoid the blown highlights. Since your subject is so close to the background, the flash should help to brighten much of the background, too.

One other thought about your fill flash experiments. You've been taking photos of darker-toned backgrounds. Plus, your background wall was already dark because of the shadow. And in this case, your daughter is wearing a mostly-black T-shirt. Because of this, I'm not sure that your fill flash answers are applicable to other situations. In this case, you were right to try out different FEC settings (or, you could have also done flash exposure bracketing).

As you continue doing more FEC tests, I would try to find a background that has more midtones (ie. not mostly white and not mostly dark tones). See if your subject can wear something that's also more midtoned, too. (wait 'til you see her in a white wedding gown...then you'll *really* need to crank up that FEC! :) )

The point of fill flash is to brighten a darker subject that's standing in front of a brighter background. I'm not sure this was the situation in your photo. So you have to have a brighter background, and a subject that's darker (for example, either in the shade or bright sunlight casting a harsh shadow on your subject's face). Set the camera to give the proper exposure for the background. Then set your flash to about FEC -1 to help "lift" the shadows from your darker subject. Adjust the FEC as necessary, or use flash exposure bracketing.

Now that I think about it, I think your flash was trying to light the entire scene, since both the background and your subject were darker.

Anyway, see if that helps, and see what others have to say. Great job on your flash photos. :thumbsup2

T Set the camera to give the proper exposure for the background. Then set your flash to about FEC -1 to help "lift" the shadows from your darker subject. Adjust the FEC as necessary, or use flash exposure bracketing.

Now that I think about it, I think your flash was trying to light the entire scene, since both the background and your subject were darker.

Anyway, see if that helps, and see what others have to say. Great job on your flash photos. :thumbsup2

So should he be metering off the background or his daughter?

From DisneyBoy2003

"While you're testing the different FEC settings, I see that you're skipping over "FEC 0". I wonder if you should also take a photo with a flash setting of FEC 0 to establish a baseline of what it looks like. From there, you can compare what FEC -1 and FEC +1 look like, compared to FEC 0. Also, take a photo with no flash to establish another baseline. Just a thought."

Actually I did use the "0" setting during my testing (although I don't believe I actually posted any shots of it). I just called it the "normal" setting. Like you said, it helped to give me a base as to how the other settings were changing things.

With the above photo, looks like a lot of the leaves are close to being "blown out". In other words, the highlights are way too bright. I see that you're shooting in "shutter priority (Tv)". I wonder if you should try decreasing your exposure compensation to about -1. That would decrease the background exposure by 1 stop, and hopefully avoid the blown highlights. Since your subject is so close to the background, the flash should help to brighten much of the background, too.

Yeah, I definitely should have done more with the exposure. To be honest, I was being lazy, and was only thinking about the FEC effects, and not paying attention to other things like I should have been.

One other thought about your fill flash experiments. You've been taking photos of darker-toned backgrounds. Plus, your background wall was already dark because of the shadow. And in this case, your daughter is wearing a mostly-black T-shirt. Because of this, I'm not sure that your fill flash answers are applicable to other situations. In this case, you were right to try out different FEC settings (or, you could have also done flash exposure bracketing).

I really appreciate your saying this. It makes perfect sense. Again, I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was trying to shoot. Interestingly enough, I think my first post about using fill flash (shooting my friends child, and my wasted opportunity) was actually a much better situation for the fill flash. If I get a chance today (or if not, then tomorrow), I will try to find a better situation to test the fill flash (with the differenet FEC settings, as well as distance from the subject).

As you continue doing more FEC tests, I would try to find a background that has more midtones (ie. not mostly white and not mostly dark tones). See if your subject can wear something that's also more midtoned, too. (wait 'til you see her in a white wedding gown...then you'll *really* need to crank up that FEC! :) )

As to my daughter wearing a wedding dress. :scared1::scared1::scared1: I can't even begin to think about that yet.

The point of fill flash is to brighten a darker subject that's standing in front of a brighter background. I'm not sure this was the situation in your photo. So you have to have a brighter background, and a subject that's darker (for example, either in the shade or bright sunlight casting a harsh shadow on your subject's face). Set the camera to give the proper exposure for the background. Then set your flash to about FEC -1 to help "lift" the shadows from your darker subject. Adjust the FEC as necessary, or use flash exposure bracketing.

Again, I really appreciate this advice, and will try to put it to good use the next chance I get

Again, that makes perfect sense, and again, I really appreciate the great advice. Hopefully I can do some more testing, and put some of this to good use. :thumbsup2

Wow, it's been a few weeks since I've had a chance to work on anything new (it's been pretty busy recently), but today I did get a chance to do a little bit of experimenting with the different picture control settings (Standard, Neutral, vivid, portrait, and landscape modes).
I took some shots using each of the different modes. Here are some of the examples I took:

First of all a landscape view:

Standard:
01-sd.jpg

Nuetral:
01-nl.jpg

vivid:
01-viv.jpg

landscape:
01-land.jpg

portrait:
01-port.jpg

Then a closeup of a flower:

standard:
02-sd.jpg

nuetral:
02-nl.jpg

vivid:
02-viv.jpg

landscape:
02-land.jpg

portrait:
02-port.jpg

There does seem to be quite a difference when shooting in the different modes. Both vivid and landscape (which seem pretty similar) give the most color, but lack some of the detail of the other modes.

I was wondering what people shoot the most. Do you usually keep your camera set for Standard (SD) mode? Or do you shoot another mode most often.

I hope to keep experimenting with the different modes, under various circumstances and conditions.

Within each of those Picture controls you can add to the sharpness and color saturation. When I've borrowed my friend's D700, I crank up the saturation in Vivid mode. You really get wild colors then. Tends to blow out the red channel so I have to be careful there.

Have fun as you experiment.

I was wondering what people shoot the most. Do you usually keep your camera set for Standard (SD) mode? Or do you shoot another mode most often.

I hope to keep experimenting with the different modes, under various circumstances and conditions.

I shoot raw, standard, I do any variations I want in my post processing

Hey Goof.. long time.. just starting to try and get back into my camera a bit.. We're headed back to Disney in March and I've decided to go "all out" this trip with my Nikon..

Quick question:

Do you always use the AF mode when you are taking pictures, or do you use MF most of the time?

Hey Goof.. long time.. just starting to try and get back into my camera a bit.. We're headed back to Disney in March and I've decided to go "all out" this trip with my Nikon..

Quick question:

Do you always use the AF mode when you are taking pictures, or do you use MF most of the time?

Hey Coach!

Sorry I haven't added anything new to this thread in quite a while. I had a few weeks in a row that were really busy, and it just sort of got lost in the cracks.

We are heading back to the states in 21 days. During which time we'll be spending 2 weeks at Disney (1 week on site at the POP, the 2nd week with my dad off site). I need to review this thread (and so many others as well) to try and make sure that I'm photo ready for the trip. So thanks for reviving this thread. :thumbsup2

As to your question, I mostly shoot in AF mode. Once in a while I'll switch over to MF to either try something different, or if I'm in a situation where AF just doesn't seem to be getting the focus fast / good enough. Of course there are times that I will shoot in MF, and then forget to switch it back, and I can't figure out for a couple of pictures why the camera doesn't want to get the shot in focus. :confused3

I also shoot mostly in Aperture priority, occasionally putting it into Shutter priority for more motion shooting.

Keep us informed as you start going through the steps of shooting, and post lots of pictures. Often the best way for others to learn is to see what someone else is working on.

Thanks for the reply. Next question- What type of additional gear have you purchased for your D5000? I'm looking at upgrading my flash, and maybe a telephoto lens (other than the standard one I got with the camera) before our trip next March. Have you added any new gear to your camera? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Coach,

What do you currently have? Make it a lot easier to give you recommendations.

For a travel lens, I highly recommend the Nikon 18-200VR. It's a great range on a cropped Nikon sensor for travel and especially at WDW. I have taken nearly 90% of my photos at WDW with it over the last three years.

Thanks for the reply. Next question- What type of additional gear have you purchased for your D5000? I'm looking at upgrading my flash, and maybe a telephoto lens (other than the standard one I got with the camera) before our trip next March. Have you added any new gear to your camera? If so, do you have any recommendations?

35mm 1.8- $200
Tripod- $?.??
remote release- $10
Photoshop Elements- $100

Unfortunately I don't have much extra gear. Here in Mexico camera equipment is very expensive (usually at least twice the price), so I normally wait till we go back to the states to pick up any new stuff.

For this upcoming trip I've order a second battery, a remote shutter release and a cleaning kit. I also just purchased PhotoPlus X3 Digital Studio for 13 dollars on Woot (to go along with my Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2) as well as a Video Editing program (so I can edit the videos I take with my D5000).

When I got the camera it came with a kit that included the standard 18 - 55 lens as well as a 55 - 200 telephoto lens, and a nice bag. I also picked up an inexpensive tripod. And of course I have 4 or 5 memory cards (mostly 4 GB).

What I want to get next is a nice fast lens (like the kind NateNLogansDad mentioned). I don't know if I'll be able to get it this trip, but if not then hopefully soon. I would love to have it for Disney to capture some of the dark rides, but if not that's OK. After that we'll just have to see. I'll also probably get a bigger memory card this trip (maybe 8 GB).

Coach,

What do you currently have? Make it a lot easier to give you recommendations.

I just have the stock lens that came with the package that I bought.. Nikon D5000, and the standard, and telephoto lens. Probably the same set up that Goof has.

For a travel lens, I highly recommend the Nikon 18-200VR. It's a great range on a cropped Nikon sensor for travel and especially at WDW. I have taken nearly 90% of my photos at WDW with it over the last three years.

Scott.. is that the one that came with the camera? Goof, do you know?
35mm 1.8- $200
Tripod- $?.??
remote release- $10
Photoshop Elements- $100
Which Lens type is that, Nate? Name Brand, etc.??? Again, is that the stock lens that came with my camera?

Unfortunately I don't have much extra gear. Here in Mexico camera equipment is very expensive (usually at least twice the price), so I normally wait till we go back to the states to pick up any new stuff.

For this upcoming trip I've order a second battery, a remote shutter release and a cleaning kit. I also just purchased PhotoPlus X3 Digital Studio for 13 dollars on Woot (to go along with my Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2) as well as a Video Editing program (so I can edit the videos I take with my D5000).

When I got the camera it came with a kit that included the standard 18 - 55 lens as well as a 55 - 200 telephoto lens, and a nice bag. I also picked up an inexpensive tripod. And of course I have 4 or 5 memory cards (mostly 4 GB).
I have the same set up as you as of now.. I'm wondering if I need to invest any another other lens for the March Trip.
What I want to get next is a nice fast lens (like the kind NateNLogansDad mentioned). I don't know if I'll be able to get it this trip, but if not then hopefully soon. I would love to have it for Disney to capture some of the dark rides, but if not that's OK. After that we'll just have to see. I'll also probably get a bigger memory card this trip (maybe 8 GB).

Would also be interested in Nate's Lens.. can I get more specific info?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter